• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mole Maniacs: Muddy Mole for SSB4 DLC

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Finally, FINALLY Mole Mania will be in my grasp! I can't wait to download and play it; it was my most wanted GB VC game that I've never played.

Muddy seems like a pretty cool guy, hopefully his game will cause me to shift from being impartial to being a Muddy supporter.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Today's the big day! Mole Mania on VC for those with 3DSes, and Muddy is up for votes in Rate Their Chances! You guys know what to do.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
I'm still a little iffy on how his digging could be used as an ambush attack. I'm also concern how useful it would be on limited "dig-able" stage platforms.

I thought of an idea that can still use the digging mechanic but in a different way. Muddy could dig two pitfalls instead; one "enter" & one "exit." On thinner platforms he could still dig two pitfalls but without actually burrowing through the surface. Pitfalls already work on drop-through platforms so the idea is possible. He could also use two holes as some sort of teleport so he can still use ambush tactics.

:phone:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm still a little iffy on how his digging could be used as an ambush attack. I'm also concern how useful it would be on limited "dig-able" stage platforms.

I thought of an idea that can still use the digging mechanic but in a different way. Muddy could dig two pitfalls instead; one "enter" & one "exit." On thinner platforms he could still dig two pitfalls but without actually burrowing through the surface. Pitfalls already work on drop-through platforms so the idea is possible. He could also use two holes as some sort of teleport so he can still use ambush tactics.

That actually is a pretty good idea. It would fit, too, as every time he digs in-game, he has an entrance and an exit (as long as he doesn't do it from the same spot, of course...). Plus, the use of Pitfalls definitely helps him be the trap/ambush character he is. I think I'll add it to the OP moveset, if it is okay with you.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think the process would be reversed. I believe they just decided to re-release it, but because of it, he'll become more popular of a choice.

[Conspiracy]Unless Nintendo of America wants him for Smash...[/Conspiracy]
I don't doubt the VC release will help Muddy's popularity, but will it really compare to the attention Takamaru and (probably) Balloon Fighter will get through Nintendo Land?

I mean, even if they don't actually appear themselves, as being two of twelve series Nintendo is promoting along with their Wii Sports-equivalent, they will probably receive alot more attention and influx of popularity than a re-release on the VC. Not that I'm against Muddy, I'm just wondering if his VC appearance will really be enough to help him compete against those two.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't doubt the VC release will help Muddy's popularity, but will it really compare to the attention Takamaru and (probably) Balloon Fighter will get through Nintendo Land?

I mean, even if they don't actually appear themselves, as being two of twelve series Nintendo is promoting along with their Wii Sports-equivalent, they will probably receive alot more attention and influx of popularity than a re-release on the VC. Not that I'm against Muddy, I'm just wondering if his VC appearance will really be enough to help him compete against those two.
Oh, I still think he has competition, don't get me wrong. It's just good that he's actually out there. Balloon Fighter either way I find less likely due to Sakurai's words about him pre-Melee, but Takamaru's still a legitimate threat.

yani

Smash Lord
I finally bought Mole Mania on the eShop today. It really is one of those hidden gem games. Very unique puzzle game. I sure hope more people give it a chance :bee:

I like Mr. Resetti more for Smash's mole character, but I'd be pretty stoked about Muddy as well. I've always liked him; that giant ball would give him a really unique play style. Smash needs a burrowing character.

I really need to get Muddy Mole on eshop here soon.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I know! That's my favorite tune from the game, that and the credits theme, which is a remix of that song. I recommend listening to it!

Mole Mania Credits Theme

Muddy Mole

Smash Rookie
I approve this thread. I would like to support the inclusion of myself in the next Super Smash Bros. game. Also, have you ever considered submitting this information to Nintendo? (The movesets, the mechanics, the stages, the music, etc.)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I approve this thread. I would like to support the inclusion of myself in the next Super Smash Bros. game. Also, have you ever considered submitting this information to Nintendo? (The movesets, the mechanics, the stages, the music, etc.)
Oh my good gravy, Muddy's in my thread. :D

But in all seriousness, I have considered it, but it'll likely not even be looked at. They likely get a ton of stuff every day related to "Put this character in Smash." Not to mention I'd need to have decent Japanese skills. I dunno, I guess I can attempt to make an image up explaining the basics, and put it on Sakurai's Twitter. For fun, I mean, since it likely won't be looked at. :/

But, I'll add you to your own supporter list!

NoPLo

Smash Cadet
NNID
NoploSnowman
I totally support Muddy Mole for Super Smash Bros 4! I completed the game today (the original Game Boy version), and I just read the thread... Now I think it would be a really nice addition, congratulations for the awesome moveset, it fits Muddy Mole near perfectly!

Please add me to the supporters list :D

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You've been added, NoPLo. It's awesome that you liked the game and my moveset. I means quite a bit. :D

Since you've completed the game, do you have any suggestions for content?

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
I support Muddy Mole! He is such a character. One that super smash is missing out on! So original and so very retro!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'll add you to the supporter list, Ember. Nice to know you see the potential. :D

Robotic Wind

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grey Walrus
Add me to your list!

I've never heard of this guy but after reading this entire article he seems interesting and someone I would no doubt give a chance!

Plus he looks cool though I still prefer Balloon Fighter, Bowser Jr and Paper Mario but this guy might within my top 10 after reading this.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You've been added! Nice to see another supporter.

Now, for a bit of housekeeping for the thread.

It's come to my attention that one thing that can help the moveset is a pitfall-type move, seeing as it fits with the digging theme. Not exactly sure how I missed that...

Basically it would replace the Side Special, if added. Muddy would crouch low, dig a small hole, and then be able to leave the scene. The foe wouldn't know where the spot is, under normal circumstances. When it is stepped on, they fall into a pitfall. Muddy cannot get trapped by this move. So yeah, it's a pitfall essentially. Muddy can have up to two of these out on the stage at any given time.

Basically, I'll give it three days or so. If you like the old Side Special (Bomb Roll), please vote. Likewise, if you like the Pitfall Trap Side Special, vote accordingly.

For my vote, I would go for the new Side Special. I feel that it personally adds to Muddy's theme of traps and stage control.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I am not aware of many retro characters, but after reading this thread, I'm come to really like Muddy Mole, and think he has a greater chance than Takamaru (who seems to be paraded around as the most-likely character to be retro-repped), so I wouldn't object to being an official supporter.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Has anyone created a color palette for Muddy yet? I could've sworn there was one in the first post.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
@Inawordyes: Nice. I'll add you to the list.

@Cider: I lack any Paint skills, so if there were any pallets done, they weren't by me, haha. I would like some for the Primary post, though. Are you good at them by any chance?

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I'm decent with GIMP. I'll try and make a color palette for Muddy sometime tomorrow.

Robotic Wind

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grey Walrus
I will vote for the new one.

What do we think is Muddy's chances against someone like Balloon Fighter who might have a chance of fighting?

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I will vote for the new one.

What do we think is Muddy's chances against someone like Balloon Fighter who might have a chance of fighting?
I think, personally, that while Balloon Fighter has a good chance of being a/the reto rep, Muddy Mole is in a better position only because Balloon Fighter was previously rejected by Sakurai because, at the time (during either the Melee or Brawl development cycle; more likely Melee, though), he couldn't figure out how to make him a viable fighter because he relies on his balloons, and what would happen if they got popped?

However, while Sakurai may not have considered Muddy Mole before (that we know of; I may be wrong on this, and if someone has any links to where Sakurai has mentioned/rejected Muddy Mole, I'd like to read them), he does not have a problem like what Balloon Fighter had (keyword "had"; Sakurai and his team is more than capable of figuring out a moveset for him, and there's the movesets in his topic as well, but that's for said topic), and he's a fairly popular retro character.

So, I'd say that Takamaru is much more of a threat than Balloon Fighter is, and between the three of them, I'd say:

1. Takamaru
  2. Muddy Mole
  3. Balloon Fighter

But Takamaru and Muddy Mole are really on equal levels, and Balloon Fighter is a really close third.
----
While I did get a little off-topic to what you were asking Robotic Wind, that's what I think of the chances. Of course, somebody else may have a different opinion, or a similar opinion to my own, but worded differently, but this is my two cents.

D

Deleted member

There's also Mach Rider to consider.
After all, Sakurai has said Mach Rider was his favorite character choice for "Smash 2". (prior to Melee's announcment)

Robotic Wind

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grey Walrus
Okay...before Brawl I kinda wanted Takamaru in there but only because he seemed like a good fighter but now...

1. BF
2. Muddy
3. Takamaru

But honestly BF has a similar problem to Ridley in which the other tw do not so if BF fails to make it I'm all for Muddy Mole being a fighter and maybe Sakurai will blindside everyone and add BF and Muddy!

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I think Takamaru will one of the next retro characters we get. I say one of the next because in Brawl we've gotten Rob and Pit, and Melee Ice Climbers and G&W. I'm not trying make a two retro rep rule or anything, and we may get 3-4 retros this time, but imo Takamaru's most likely going to be one of them. Muddy and Mach Rider seem like the next likely choices, while others like Balloon Fighter, Lip, Bubbles, Sheriff, etc., are the less likely ones. Then again I don't know how Sakurai thinks so I could be far off.

Personally I just want Muddy, Mach, and Bubbles.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I think Takamaru will one of the next retro characters we get. I say one of the next because in Brawl we've gotten Rob and Pit, and Melee Ice Climbers and G&W. I'm not trying make a two retro rep rule or anything, and we may get 3-4 retros this time, but imo Takamaru's most likely going to be one of them. Muddy and Mach Rider seem like the next likely choices, while others like Balloon Fighter, Lip, Bubbles, Sheriff, etc., are the less likely ones. Then again I don't know how Sakurai thinks so I could be far off.

Personally I just want Muddy, Mach, and Bubbles.

I haven't known who Bubbles has been for AGES but I've just figured it out. Is he the character in Bubble bobble? If he is then I fully support him! :awesome:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Actually, Bubbles is from Clu Clu Land. Sorry to dash your hopes...xD

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
You can't say that the bubble bobble lizardy dragony thing wouldn't be awesome though can you?
If Taito showed interest of Bub and Bob (tag team chars) being in smash bros., then I'll be pretty excited to actually WANT a 3rd Party rep. Also, besides Bub and Bob first appearing as an arcade game and the franchise being ported to a bunch of other platforms over the years (several being Nintendo), Taito themselves made 8 and 16 bit ports for Bubble Bobble on the NES and Game Boy's as well as a remake of Bubble Bobble for WiiWare.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You can't say that the bubble bobble lizardy dragony thing wouldn't be awesome though can you?
From the little I know of them, they'd be pretty cool, but let's leave that for another thread. ;)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Update of Super Important Importantness:

It's been three days. Of the two votes that I got, including my own, it has been unanimously decided to alter the Side Special to the Pitfall move.

As another note, Muddy Mole Pallet Swaps have been added to the OP.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I'm digging that care bear green color.

Top Bottom