• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mole Maniacs: Muddy Mole for SSB4 DLC

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Neat palette swaps Opossum. I've been seeing quite a few Mole Mania gameplay videos myself and I have even gotten tempted to perhaps purchase the game itself from the 3DS eshop. ;)

Either way, I'm getting quite interested in the little mole and he seems to be the type of enjoyable; yet, unique character that Smash is just calling out for. He's definitely a refreshing character to see in terms of his moveset as well. I'll definitely hold out support for him.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah, splat did an amazing job on them.

Anyway, I would definitely suggest buying it. It's only $3.99, iirc. Definitely worth it. Charming little Puzzle/Adventure game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just making a bump in order to make this thread more noticed. We don't want to fall behind again, do we?

The good news is that I may finally get a 3DS this Christmas and not be completely behind everyone else. This got me thinking...for the supporters, would you like it if Muddy got into SSB4, and as a result got a new game for the 3DS? If so, what would you want the game to be like?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I wouldn't really mind. Considering Miyamoto's reps get a "VIP"-treatment in means of franchises, Muddy's presentation would be quite wondrous and varied one. And of course, I wouldn't mind a new game!

Speaking of a new game, I used to actually do an artwork about a potential "sequel" to Mole Mania!

I thought how'd be like if someone mixed Gyromite's "B-Game" with Mole Mania's maze-like puzzles. Though this time the only object is to walk Professor Hector back to his lab safely without making him hit the enemies.
(-l<>l-)

One of my friends liked this concept so much that he made his own reimagined pic of it:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
HOLY...

Young Horsetail...it looks like the pallet swaps that splat did are based on your artwork, there. So many connections.

~~~Iiiit's a small world aaaafter all. Iiiiit's a small world aaaafter all...

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Woah, wait, what? And speaking of that artwork which was used in color swaps, it's not mine, it's FryGuy64's (the developer of NinDB)

On the other hand I'm damn flattered, because yeah, it is based on mine... (-ñ~ñ-);;;

Small world after aaaall~~ ahuyk-huyck!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I shall credit him in the OP, and you as well.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Cool Muddy is back! To be honest with ya's, I'm not going to buy mole mania on 3DS on Eshop. I mean, if a game for it was released because, or even not, of smash then hell yeah I'm buying it! The only question is how will you get ice world? Obviously, they must be in every game these days! XD And underwater levels as a mole will be.... Interesting!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Yo Jigglover, the game's about 3 euros in EU so I bet it's freaking cheap and still worth to get. (-lwl-)^ I recommend to give it a try.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Cool Muddy is back! To be honest with ya's, I'm not going to buy mole mania on 3DS on Eshop. I mean, if a game for it was released because, or even not, of smash then hell yeah I'm buying it! The only question is how will you get ice world? Obviously, they must be in every game these days! XD And underwater levels as a mole will be.... Interesting!
Mole Mania actually does have an ice world. Brawl in the Family foretold a prophecy.

But no underwater in it. Only a beach.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Mole Mania actually does have an ice world. Brawl in the Family foretold a prophecy.

But no underwater in it. Only a beach.
:embarrass: I didn't think " ~ instead of fighting through, your controls are fighting you, through the whole, darn, stage ~ " would be suitable for a puzzle game but there you have it! That beach is disappointing! Flood once in a while! XD

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i must say, i really like the idea of adding Muddy Mole. he's probably the most unique of a lot of possible new comers. I'm all for his inclusion

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Nice to hear that. I'll add you to the supporter list.

I was thinking. As far as other things that the Mole Mania series can add, we already have, listed in the OP, a stage, boss battle, and Assist Trophy. I also have a list of songs.

Now, is there anything else that you all think can be added to flesh out the series for a Smash appearance? If so, leave a comment.

jigglover

Smash Lord
There isn't much else you can for a series, even mario. I don't know enough about the series to tell you some trophies, so the only ones I can talk about are the farmer, muddy mole's family and muddy mole himself! And, like everything else in smash, this would promote animal cruelty.
Other offenses smash causes are damaging babies and pokemonism!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just when I thought I covered all the bases, lo and behold, I forget items...consarn it.

Any thoughts on this? Items seem hard to come up with here that aren't overdone (ie, adding the recovery potion when there are other healing items, etc)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Maybe not much. FE didn't get any item either so it's not very necessary to have a trophy from the series. a_(-l´l)

Iron Ball could be good one but I think it'd work better as part of Muddy's moveset.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It could be a stretch, but if they needed an item, they could use the giant thumb tacks from the Kangaroon boss fight.

jigglover

Smash Lord
That seems more like an AT, and 2 Assist trophies wouldn't be bad, would it? I'm still having trouble seeing muddy feasible in smash though, I mean, obviously he would be amazingly awesome to get in, but how would the digging work? It would use up resources that Sakurai could use on others just letting Muddy enter the stages, and not to mention the endless amount of glitches they'd have to try and fix... If anyone could put my mind at ease though I'd be happy!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't think it would be too troublesome. Other fighting games have had similar mechanics. Essentially, it could be that he goes under, and when he goes under he, in the techy aspect, has invisibility properties and no hitboxes until he resurfaces, where in the coding, he becomes visible again and regains hit boxes.

I think. I think that's how it would work. I'm not too much of a technological person, but that seems about right.

grizby2

Smash Lord
when reading this, i thought to myself .. "theres doesn't have to be another mario character, but if it were still one character created by Shigeru Miyamoto, muddy mole would be something new AND familiar."

PUT ME ON THAT LIST. :D

my only criticism would be that a Final Smash should come from the character's own power, or something that the character controlls.... ya know?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Most of the time yes but not always. For example Ness and Lucas (which SHOULD'VE got their own moves as Final Smash, no PK Rockin' or PK Love? Seriously?)

And don't just get me started on Peach's Final Smash a.k.a UnFinal Smash. Doesn't look epic.

grizby2

Smash Lord
to be fair, those were moves that they probably could have learned anyway.:cool:

sure they didn't have that move in the game itself, but in brawl they THEMSELVES casted it as a result of their OWN power.

like how dedede summons his minions. those are his own minions, so he controlls them? :urg:
or how ice climbers summon a huge galacier, i imagined muddy's FS to be something along the lines of that. :o

Muddy Mole

Smash Rookie
My final smash could be where I call my children to swarm the stage, like Pit's final smash.

:phone:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
True, Muddy. Very true. That could also tie in to the "save the family" aspect of the game.

How about a vote. Which is better, Sundes or Mole Mafia (Cwatididthar harhar)?

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i like the Mole Mafia more myself. seems more fitting for the character. what if its a move where his family is pretty much popping out of the ground. its set up so that the enemy can really only avoid it by keeping off the ground. idk im just spit balling here cause obviously the moles can't fly around like in Pits FS

grizby2

Smash Lord
i love that idea actually, moles are notorious for doing stuff like that!
true they cant fly.. maybe he can trade in that loss of mobillity for power? or perhaps the FS can be one of those FS's that last a decent amount of time before going away.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Opposum, I prefer Sundes since the mole mafia seems useless - worse than Peach's peaches! I mean, all you have to do is stay in the air, Peach can do this with her floating and recovery, Sonic can just stay above the spring and Diddy kong can keep charging for a while, maybe getting hit once. The final smash would have to last ages for most of the opponents to take more than one hit! the only problem is that Sundes seems a bit broken, but then so are Marth's and Link's - compared to others like Peach's and DK's anyway! XD

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Well if the attack lasts for a good amount of time and Muddy is still able to run around then it could still be a very worthwhile attack. IDK each final smash (while still their best attacks) should have its drawbacks and advantages ideally so maybe that would be Muddy's

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
From what I heard, Mole Mania was one of the titles that Miyamoto really wanted to revive and felt that it should have recieved more love. He even supposedly asked Sakurai to add him in Brawl, but was too late due to the game nearing comepletion. Whether it's true or not, it would be nice to see another one of Miyamoto's wierd and obscure characters in the spotlight.

I am I the only one who found some similarities between him and Winnie teh Pooh? :troll:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
He even supposedly asked Sakurai to add him in Brawl, but was too late due to the game nearing comepletion.
I'm very skeptical about this part, do you have a source? It's not like Miyamoto is third-party like Kojima, he'd know about the game being in development since... before it even went in development. :p
If he wanted Muddy included, he would've had plenty of time to ask.

Other than that though, I agree. I haven't played Mole Mania extensively, but it seems like a hypothetical follow-up wouldn't have been that unrealistic, there's enough to expand on and work with IMO. At this point though I'd say a revival isn't especially likely, at least while there are other retro/obscure franchises with more probable chances at being revisited.

Muddy could definitely be an AT though, especially if he was originally planned to be an AT in Brawl.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah, I'm finding that to be a bit on the skeptical side, ROB. Although, a reliable source would make me absolutely giddy.

And yes. If not playable, I would definitely bet on Muddy being an Assist Trophy.

grizby2

Smash Lord
dont worry muddy, its not bad to think low. maybe people will see him more than just an assist trophy idea and then REALLY support him. who knows, that just might be his tactic, to DIG under our skin first. ;)

jigglover

Smash Lord
Oppossum you traitor! May I direct you to the list on the thread of the speculation lottery:
Opposum
1. K. Rool
2. Palutena
3. Ridley
4. Mewtwo
5. Roy
6. Little Mac
7. Takamaru
8. Starfy
9. Toad
10. Samurai Goroh

That is correct. This is your list, do I see muddy mole on it?

NO

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Oppossum you traitor! May I direct you to the list on the thread of the speculation lottery:
Opposum
1. K. Rool
2. Palutena
3. Ridley
4. Mewtwo
5. Roy
6. Little Mac
7. Takamaru
8. Starfy
9. Toad
10. Samurai Goroh

NO
That's because anyone who thinks Muddy Mole is one of the top 10 most likely characters for SSB4 needs to get their head out of the sand. :smirk:;)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well I went ahead and downloaded Mole Mania off the Nintendo Eshop and I must say, though things may get a little clunky when you're walking over holes and the awkward 4 directional walking paths (Especially when I dealt with the first boss) I found the game very enjoyable so far. I finished the first level and I'm now about to start the second one.

So far I like Muddy, I never even knew he existed until pretty recently (That is about a year or two ago, Don't ask me why it toke me so long to finally try the game out though)

Count me in for the support list, I like this guy, I might make some fan art and stuff to get him a little more known too if I get the time. ^_^

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Opposum
1. K. Rool
2. Palutena
3. Ridley
4. Mewtwo
5. Roy
6. Little Mac
7. Takamaru
8. Starfy
9. Toad
10. Samurai Goroh

NO
As N3ON pointed out, that was for most likely characters. Muddy is my surprise retro pick to go alongside Takamaru :smirk:

@ Curious Villager Curious Villager . I'll add you. I'm glad you're enjoying it so far. :bee:

IN OTHER NEWS, the results are in. Muddy's new Final Smash for the OP is now the "Mole Mafia."

Last edited:

vicgur

Smash Ace
Okay, I have 3 things to say about Muddy Mole:
  1. Because of Opossum's burning passion in his support, I got curious and downloaded and played Mole Mania.
  2. The game is great and terribly underrated. I'd never heard of it before and it's one of the best puzzle games I've ever played. It's THAT good. I'd love to see it coming back in a reboot kind of thing, like Kid Icarus Uprising]
  3. I support Muddy Mole. It would be a unique character and I'd play with him/it. Heck, if done correctly, he could be one of my favorites. Seriously.:cool:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Glad to see you enjoyed it. It's definitely worth the money if you have a 3DS.

It's sort of sad how unknown it is. It literally had two reviews when it was released. Only two.

I'll add you to the supporter list.

Oh, before I forget, I took a page from the Geno thread and added some nice fan work based on Mole Mania to the OP. Feel free to add to it. ^_^

Top Bottom