• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mount Dedede - His Majesty's Social Thread (Come in and Introduce Yourself!)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Thanks to some equipment hacking on my copy of Smash 3DS, I did manage to make a Dedede customization that has quite a large defense value.

Dedede sure feels like a tank in the sense that his attack and defense are boosted, but the speed value does take a plummet. Another notable thing about this custom is the weakened mid-air jump bonus effect. Fortunately, Super Dedede Jump does help counter that flaw, at least to an extent.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Wow, that must have literally a ton of survivability, and doing loads of damage on top of it! That seems like a pain to fight! Have you tried using that custom in tourney mode online or against friends?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Wow, that must have literally a ton of survivability, and doing loads of damage on top of it! That seems like a pain to fight! Have you tried using that custom in tourney mode online or against friends?
No I haven't, but I have done a bunch of offline matches to see how well the customization can survive AND recover. And from what I've seen, even if Dedede's mid-air jumps are hindered by the Double-Jump Drag bonus effect, as long as he has the four mid-air jumps, he can still fully recover with Super Dedede Jump. However, the CPU often has the habit of targeting ledges with Super Dedede Jump, so I rarely get to see the third jump be used offensively if I'm not using him.

Last edited:

Sir Prize

Smash Rookie
NNID
FasciNate87
Hello. Sir Prize here. I'm an aspiring King Dedede main. I don't mind that he's a "bad" character, I have A LOT of fun playing him, even more than my favorite fictional character of all time, Sonic. His animations are hilarious, it's so satisfying dededestroying people with his hammer, and he has a cool theme! Playing as Dedede has really helped with improving my patience and fundamentals. However, I still consider myself a noob when it comes to playing competively, I'm barely competent. Hopefully, interacting with this group will change that. LONG LIVE THE KING!!!

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Hello. Sir Prize here. I'm an aspiring King Dedede main. I don't mind that he's a "bad" character, I have A LOT of fun playing him, even more than my favorite fictional character of all time, Sonic. His animations are hilarious, it's so satisfying dededestroying people with his hammer, and he has a cool theme! Playing as Dedede has really helped with improving my patience and fundamentals. However, I still consider myself a noob when it comes to playing competively, I'm barely competent. Hopefully, interacting with this group will change that. LONG LIVE THE KING!!!
We're very glad to have you, welcome! Great to have more aspiring Kings around - please check out the top "Read me first" thread if you want any help finding anything (like a guide). Otherwise just let us know how we can help you improve!

Sir Prize

Smash Rookie
NNID
FasciNate87
Wow, it's so cool that you've responded to me. It was thanks to your videos that I decided to pick up the king in the first place. Right now, I suppose, what I need is someone better than me to spar with. Playing on For Glory has allowed me to pick up a lot of bad habits and I can't really tell if I'm getting any better.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Might want to consider networking here on Smashboards or on Anther's Ladder, or even any other dedicated hub for netplay. For Glory isn't all that great if you're looking to improve; it's very one-dimensional, as it's just playing on a buncha Omega Stages with strategies and MUs pandering to that. Anther's, Smashboards, and anywhere else gives you the chance to play in a more complete fashion (more stages, flexible settings, etc).

Playing offline is the best option, obviously, but if netplay is all you got in the interim, I'd go with that.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
Tis the dededestiny of a person who has no friends.

Seriously, though, it can be hard getting out of the low level dededeathtrap. I certainly can't, and I'm doing the max I can do. (Granted, i probably get about a half hour every day, evened out between small amounts and binge sessions, but still)

I really hope Smash NX has actual ranking systems and matchmaking.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Again, network. Make friends. That's what the Internet is for!

Addendum: Alternatively, look on social media, find your region's scene. That works, too.

Smooth Criminal

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Wow, it's so cool that you've responded to me. It was thanks to your videos that I decided to pick up the king in the first place.
Ha, there's no ranks or royalty here. If you main D3, you're our brother, that's all there is to it.

Seriously, though, it can be hard getting out of the low level dededeathtrap. I really hope Smash NX has actual ranking systems and matchmaking.
What others are saying is great - I also recommend our Discord group as well right here. Someone's almost always there, and it's a great place to get some matches with people who know D3 and how to help you with him.

Otherwise, to both Sir Prize Sir Prize and Doctor_Link Doctor_Link , come over to our Research thread here - our purpose is to push the D3 metagame forward, and already we've found some great stuff. Once I get the time this weekend/tonight I'll be posting some really solid tech breakdowns that've been incoming for awhile.

Sir Prize

Smash Rookie
NNID
FasciNate87
I apologize in advance if this is the wrong thread to ask this question. Where is the "Mario and PAC Man body me daily and I can't seem to win a match against them to save my life. Help me please!" thread? Because it seems like EVERYONE plays Mario, main or otherwise.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I apologize in advance if this is the wrong thread to ask this question. Where is the "Mario and PAC Man body me daily and I can't seem to win a match against them to save my life. Help me please!" thread? Because it seems like EVERYONE plays Mario, main or otherwise.
For match-up specific questions, go to this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/general-match-up-discussion-thread-ask-about-matchups-here.388795/

Other general questions here: http://smashboards.com/threads/how-do-i-penguin-king-dedede-q-a-thread.399646/

To answer your Mario problems...well, we kinda need to know what he does that gives you trouble. Is it the combos? Fire ball camping? Edge-guarding? Mario has a stellar combo game, even against characters that aren't Dedede, and the mobility to take advantage of it, but he struggles to close out stocks without getting a solid read. If you get caught in the standard utilt chain, you need to try to SDI out of (hit the stick up and away from Mario) and try to jump out. Mistiming your jumps mean you'll get hit out of them, but thankfully as Dedede you have more than 1.

Unfortunately you can't really run away from Mario, but you do have your disjoints over him. You have to use your strong mid-range tools to try and wall him out. If Mario tries to camp you, know that fire balls are kind of crummy as a projectile. Annoying at low-mid level play, yes, but walk up -> powershield is your best bet to beat them and approach a Mario that's hanging out at the other side of the stage.

Stage-wise, avoid Battlefield and Dream Land against Mario like the plague if you can. Mario benefits greatly from the tri-plat layout, able to extend his uair chains into a potential KO from the top. Not to mention D3's general landing problems when platforms are involved. Final Destination can make approaching him annoying, but it's easier to land here and makes it harder for him to kill. Smashville and Town & City benefit both characters, and there's some fun Gordo stuff you can do with moving platforms - just be wary of earlier kills from T&C's lower ceiling or from the side on Smashville.

All three of the Mario brothers have a slight advantage in the match-up against Dedede but when the match-up is played well they should struggle to move in. Standard Mario has the easiest time closing the gap thanks to his mobility, but the others are just as dangerous - Doc can kill you much earlier, and even with the nerfs Luigi can combo Dedede all day and night.

Sir Prize

Smash Rookie
NNID
FasciNate87
For match-up specific questions, go to this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/general-match-up-discussion-thread-ask-about-matchups-here.388795/

Other general questions here: http://smashboards.com/threads/how-do-i-penguin-king-dedede-q-a-thread.399646/

To answer your Mario problems...well, we kinda need to know what he does that gives you trouble. Is it the combos? Fire ball camping? Edge-guarding? Mario has a stellar combo game, even against characters that aren't Dedede, and the mobility to take advantage of it, but he struggles to close out stocks without getting a solid read. If you get caught in the standard utilt chain, you need to try to SDI out of (hit the stick up and away from Mario) and try to jump out. Mistiming your jumps mean you'll get hit out of them, but thankfully as Dedede you have more than 1.

Unfortunately you can't really run away from Mario, but you do have your disjoints over him. You have to use your strong mid-range tools to try and wall him out. If Mario tries to camp you, know that fire balls are kind of crummy as a projectile. Annoying at low-mid level play, yes, but walk up -> powershield is your best bet to beat them and approach a Mario that's hanging out at the other side of the stage.

Stage-wise, avoid Battlefield and Dream Land against Mario like the plague if you can. Mario benefits greatly from the tri-plat layout, able to extend his uair chains into a potential KO from the top. Not to mention D3's general landing problems when platforms are involved. Final Destination can make approaching him annoying, but it's easier to land here and makes it harder for him to kill. Smashville and Town & City benefit both characters, and there's some fun Gordo stuff you can do with moving platforms - just be wary of earlier kills from T&C's lower ceiling or from the side on Smashville.

All three of the Mario brothers have a slight advantage in the match-up against Dedede but when the match-up is played well they should struggle to move in. Standard Mario has the easiest time closing the gap thanks to his mobility, but the others are just as dangerous - Doc can kill you much earlier, and even with the nerfs Luigi can combo Dedede all day and night.
Thanks. This should make things easier. I didn't know how to approach him, especially when he starts chucking fireballs. I also never paid attention to the fact that Mario does need to make reads to kill. I guess I just focused too much on his great frame data, combo game and good ground/aerial movement. Haha

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Dear Daddy Sakurai,

Please throw your boy Dedede some much needed buffs.

-Sincerely,
Every single Dedede main

Doctor Troggy

Smash Rookie
Well, this new tier list is disastrous for us, to say the least. Although, we still have the Corrin and Bayo patch coming in a couple of days, so if Dedede is patched at all, it should hopefully put him into Lower-Mid at the very least. If not, I propose we weep and pout about how Sheik needs a nerf or something.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Well, this new tier list is disastrous for us, to say the least. Although, we still have the Corrin and Bayo patch coming in a couple of days, so if Dedede is patched at all, it should hopefully put him into Lower-Mid at the very least. If not, I propose we weep and pout about how Sheik needs a nerf or something.
Watch us stay the same, but have JUST the tools needed to counter :4bayonetta:, who ends up high tier. Suddenly, we're the Shedinja of this game.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Part of me feels 11th is a tiny (only tiny) bit low, but at the same time...just outside of bottom 10 is kinda where he belongs. Some of the character placements are questionable but it looks pretty solid.

And IDK, I feel like both Bayonetta and Corrin are going to have positive match-ups vs Dedede. We'll see if the patch gives us anything but I'm not holding my breath.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
I just want to say this group is probably one of the most friendly, humorous and cheerful out of any characters. Even if we don't get our Dedede buffs we can still do our best efforts at finding more techs for the King and supporting him.
:dedede:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Hey, at least now we're OFFICIALLY the king of bottom tier!
We shall rule justly over the lowest tier, treating our subjects with respect, as we all too well understand their pain. All the while scoffing at everyone who looks down on us.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
We shall rule justly over the lowest tier, treating our subjects with respect, as we all too well understand their pain. All the while scoffing at everyone who looks down on us.
And if nothing good comes from tomorrow's patch: we will unite and lead them, creating a loud, writhing mass of patch requests impossible for Nintendo to ignore.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Man, I just played For Glory 3DS and lost three times in a row to a Sonic.
I came damn close to beating him once. Every single game almost went to time.
Sad thing is, I know I'm a better player than that person, it's just that there's no way for Dedede to keep up with Sonic and find an opportunity where I can reliably take a stock without dumb luck.
And why the heck can Sonic act almost immediately out of his dAir? Those sorts of moves should have endlag.

This is just miserable, I'm considering picking up a character on the higher spectrum of the tier list, so for once I don't need to complain about that. I'm thinking Villager, since I like how the character plays, despite never touching an AC title before.

But I also really wanna dedicate to Dedede. He is still the king and I should be a loyal subject.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
If we're king, what does that make :4lucina:?

Do we have to propose to the Lucina board? Maybe we can rule together, as Penguin King and Ylissian Queen.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
This is just miserable, I'm considering picking up a character on the higher spectrum of the tier list, so for once I don't need to complain about that. I'm thinking Villager, since I like how the character plays, despite never touching an AC title before.

But I also really wanna dedicate to Dedede. He is still the king and I should be a loyal subject.
Either pick up a different character (CP or another one altogether), or stop complaining, imo.
Smooth Criminal
No need to get down on him, Smooth Criminal Smooth Criminal . We're here to help, not go "git gud" and peace out.

Putuk Putuk the Sonic matchup is indeed miserable, but by no means unwinnable. It really tests your shield and patience, but there are definitely a few things you can do. Thoughts like that are exactly why we have a matchup discussion thread here, and then a Q&A thread here. Post there - or even in the Sonic forums! - and I'm sure people will be happy to give some tips. Personally I go with Pika for the matchup, same as I do with ZSS, and there's nothing wrong with that lol.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
No need to get down on him, Smooth Criminal Smooth Criminal . We're here to help, not go "git gud" and peace out
And we were doing a fine job of it until this #BuffD3 crap rolled along. It's ridiculous. All I ever see are complaints and pleas for buffs around here, often in the same breath as sound advice.

There's a reason why I only skulk around these parts anymore, and it's not just because I picked up Cloud. I'm kinda disappointed.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Hey, if we don't get buffs, lets just focus on the mindgame aspect of him. I feel like there's untapped potential there. If we can't be top tier, we can always be Melee Bowser.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Yeah, Soul Train Soul Train I meant the "Issues with D3" video. How's that going?
Not sure how you missed it, but we have an entire thread pretty much devoted to the vid right here man.

Hey, if we don't get buffs, lets just focus on the mindgame aspect of him. I feel like there's untapped potential there. If we can't be top tier, we can always be Melee Bowser.
We already have and are - there's some fantastic stuff in our Research and Tech thread already right here, and patch or no this will continue in earnest.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Putuk Putuk the Sonic matchup is indeed miserable, but by no means unwinnable. It really tests your shield and patience, but there are definitely a few things you can do. Thoughts like that are exactly why we have a matchup discussion thread here, and then a Q&A thread here. Post there - or even in the Sonic forums! - and I'm sure people will be happy to give some tips. Personally I go with Pika for the matchup, same as I do with ZSS, and there's nothing wrong with that lol.
Been reading through that thread, seems the best advice against Sonic is "good luck" or "hope he messes up".
At best it tells me to use fTilt.
Or maybe hope the opponent is some 14-year-old who genuinly still thinks that Sonic is still good.
Just play it super patient.
I'm no good at that, I want to see something happen, not sit inside my shield all match.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Been reading through that thread, seems the best advice against Sonic is "good luck" or "hope he messes up".
At best it tells me to use fTilt.
Or maybe hope the opponent is some 14-year-old who genuinly still thinks that Sonic is still good.
Just play it super patient.
I'm no good at that, I want to see something happen, not sit inside my shield all match.
Think of it like a boss battle. He's going to open himself up eventually, you just need to wait for the opening. You also happen to have some solid ways to bait him into something unsafe - being unpredictable with jumps, Ftilt/Jab/Inhale/Shield to make him be mindful of his approach...it's something at least.

Anyways if you want more on that, please post in the related forums I linked you to, I think that's enough discussion on the matchup here.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Sonic hasnt been too much of a nightmare for me to face, but thats likely because I havent played any really good sonic players (cuz lets be honest, if you're really good at smash, you arent playing sonic, as its a waste of talent, IMO).

You really just need to accept that winning against sonic is a waiting game. Punish his mistakes the few times he's open and let his impatience be his undoing. Dedede simply does not have the frame data to be the aggressor in this matchup.

Just remember this; as fast as he is, he cant kill you very easily at all, whereas you can kill him super early.

Top Bottom