• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mount Dedede - His Majesty's Social Thread (Come in and Introduce Yourself!)

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I'm so happy the Dedede figure ended up as easily the best looking amiibo. I was really afraid they'd ruin the paint job somehow. There's a couple others I kind of want but Dedede is the only one I REALLY need in my life.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
If the Dedede figure is only available at a retailer I don't have access to... I'll be so :mad088:

Course, all of them will be easily available online somewhere like on Ebay or something. Probably Amazon too unless that's one of the exclusive "retailers." Granted, there's independent sellers on Amazon too.

Slaudial

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0233-0174-7067
Balance Update wishlist for Dedede
1. Brawl grab range
2. Brawl up tilt
3. No more Gordo reflection :3

PCHU

Smash Lord
Balance Update wishlist for Dedede
1. Brawl grab range
2. Brawl up tilt
3. No more Gordo reflection :3
I'd argue that he needs the gordo reflection to make him more balanced, but it'd be very good if they made attacks neutralize it rather than outright knock it back faster than you can launch it; I'm tired of having it reflected by needles and bacon.

As far as grab range go, they should just restore everyone's; there was no reason to globally nerf that and buff rolls.
Dedede's utilt is alright as-is, but I'd argue that he could use faster aerials more than anything (much like a lot of characters).
Once he's in the air, he needs to have full control over what's going on near him because he doesn't have the mobility to do much else, not to mention if you land with something just a bit too early, he flops on the ground for half a week.
His aerials in Brawl were fine (much like Wario as a whole, but they still changed him), but if they're going to change them, they need to make them still good.
As far as KO Power goes, that's definitely something that needs to be fixed because it's all over the place right now, just like hitstun.

But this is wishful thinking.
A hard pill to swallow, I guess, but it's workable.

MrInsaynne

Smash Rookie
What's up, everyone!

My name is Insaynne (or Coach Steve). I primarily play Capcom fighting games at a high level. I'm going to be playing this game a lot more. King Dedede and Diddy Kong are my two favorite characters. I know Diddy is better but D3 is my absolute favorite so I'm putting a lot more time into him. I played brawl a bit so im not entirely new to the workings of the game. Looking forward to playing!

madluk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Madluk4745
Hey Everybody,
Im Madluk, kinda been dormant on the boards for awhile. I'm more recent to smash than most people but been playing 3DS a lot and thinking about the DDD as a main. Been playing as a lot of bowser (big and Jr.), DK, and just started playing some DDD. basically if they're fat i've messed with em a bit, but these guys stood out to me. I was gonna main bowser but like i said i'm more of a new guy to smash than most people, so i figured that the unfamiliarity of the matchup could help me, seeing as DDD doesnt get shown off to much. Lets help our beloved king rise to the top

Last edited:

PCHU

Smash Lord
Hey Everybody,
Im Madluk, kinda been dormant on the boards for awhile. I'm more recent to smash than most people but been playing 3DS a lot and thinking about the DDD as a main. Been playing as a lot of bowser (big and Jr.), DK, and just started playing some DDD. basically if they're fat i've messed with em a bit, but these guys stood out to me. I was gonna main bowser but like i said i'm more of a new guy to smash than most people, so i figured that the unfamiliarity of the matchup could help me, seeing as DDD doesnt get shown off to much. Lets help our beloved king rise to the top
He's quite interesting in terms of how he's played; he doesn't quite have Bowser's fast and strong jabs/aerials and doesn't have DK's...well, I don't know what he really has going for him regardless of having him as a secondary; I just like using him.
But Dedede is cool -- learn how to use gordos in such a way that you typically don't have them reflected at you, and don't be afraid to hang out in the air to fish for a good approach (provided you're against someone who can't easily chase you).
Generally, ftilt is your poke to stop almost anything and dtilt should only be used in a "I need to counter whatever you're going to throw out right now" situation because it can be punished rather easily (much like a lot of his stuff if your spacing isn't really good).
Dsmash is the best "catch-all" he has, and it's probably his best KO move aside from bair.
Work on understanding his timing and pacing before you start going for all the crazy attack strings you see; 99% of those are heavy reads and not true attack strings (dthrow -> nair/uair is nearly guaranteed, though), so if you whiff or try to make him move faster than Sakurai wants you to, chances are you'll suffer a hard punish.

That being said, he's loads of fun and I hope he meshes well with your style!
Really, he saved the game in my eyes; I was about ready to completely drop it before I picked him up as a main.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
What's up, everyone!

My name is Insaynne (or Coach Steve). I primarily play Capcom fighting games at a high level. I'm going to be playing this game a lot more. King Dedede and Diddy Kong are my two favorite characters. I know Diddy is better but D3 is my absolute favorite so I'm putting a lot more time into him. I played brawl a bit so im not entirely new to the workings of the game. Looking forward to playing!
I like the way you think! Diddy and Dedede are my two favorite characters to use in Brawl, funny enough. I loved both of their playstyles and they're both two of my favorite video game characters.
I don't really like Smash 4 Diddy as much as Brawl Diddy, though. It makes me sad...

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
Whats up guys, I'm Flawed, I use the tag ABUSE. I had what people called a 'brick wall' Dedede. I am known for having an insane grab game, and its my go to punish for everything.

Struggling along atm, but I'm almost sure I can build the brick wall back up to his glory

Mgs LaLiLuLeLo

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5343-9814-2031
Hello everyone, I'm LaLiLuLeLo (but you can call me just Mgs, it's a lot easier) and actually, Sm4sh is the first SSB game I actually play. I've been playing it nonstop since it's release and I have to say, after testing all the characters and studying the general metagame, I've to say that His Majesty is the one for me. Playing as him is so much fun, and It's the first character I actually really want to master.

That's kinda it for me. I look forward to improve my game as much as possible and I'm really hoping to learn a lot of Royal strategies from this community :)

Nick Fury

Smash Rookie
NNID
InstanceOfFury
Hey everyone, I'm a new D3 Main on smash 4, dabbled with him for a year or so on brawl. Lurked on the boards for a few years, actually going to decide to start being social on the boards. Anyways, good to meet everyone :)

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
Results show that Monochrome TripleD is objectively superior.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Actual Penguin D3 mustard race

Smooth Criminal

Purple+Sky Blue are my favorites, but I cycle between everything except default (hate red) and monochrome (would be my favorite, but it bothers me to no end that the hammer isn't also monochrome).

Last edited:

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I play green D3 and pretend that I'm Shrek. Then i do some dope *** onion comboes.
How many layers would say make up these onion combos? :4dedede:

I would say that you should avoid double posting, but then I noticed that your posts are actually pretty far apart time-wise. :p
Regardless, it's best to just "Edit" your posts rather than making two back-to-back. Some mods are pretty stingy about it.

But the Dedede Boards are pretty inactive chill, so I doubt anyone cares. :4dedede:

And I like Dark Blue Dedede~

Last edited:

Chaleb

Smash Cadet
Hey guys. Longtime lurker here. I played Brawl back in the day and started coming back with PM and Smash 4. I play a lot of characters (Ike, Ganon, Pit, starting to learn Rosalina) but my go-to is King Dedede because I can usually body people very easily with him. Gordos and DThrow follow ups are just too real.

Also any costume besides Purple is unacceptable!

Nick Fury

Smash Rookie
NNID
InstanceOfFury
How many layers would say make up these onion combos? :4dedede:

I would say that you should avoid double posting, but then I noticed that your posts are actually pretty far apart time-wise. :p
Regardless, it's best to just "Edit" your posts rather than making two back-to-back. Some mods are pretty stingy about it.

But the Dedede Boards are pretty inactive chill, so I doubt anyone cares. :4dedede:

And I like Dark Blue Dedede~
D3 just has layers himself. Because shrek is D3 in disguise, Even then, are are an infinite amount of layers in dope ass onion comboes. My bad for the double post. I'm still new to forums

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I like all of Dedede's palettes.

But I gotta say that I prefer the green and purple palettes above all others (not counting the good ole' default red).

Trioxin

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone! Been a DeDeDe main since Brawl, but just lurked until recently. Hope to get a chance to play with you guys sometime!

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I love this thread already.

The Dedes helped Brawl from going stale for me, as I was a sad little lad with no friends at the time, so I'd make up storylines and plots and have the characters 'act' them out. This one particular story line had my beloved light blue costumed (master race) Dedes partnered up with a blue goggled Pikachu, stopping evil one KO at a time. I won't go into details of the actual story other than that, but it was by far my favorite, and so I got a butt-ton of playtime with him.
Then I got friends and realized how horrid with him I was in Brawl. So I picked up ROB for just blindingly awesome he was in SSE.

Grew up. Voice dropped. Found competitive Smash. Project M.

Hadn't played Smash in a while, and was eager to get back in it once I discovered the tournaments at my local mall.
I remembered the Dedes and everything we had been through together.

Fast-forward.

I am a loyal follower of the Dedes and I plan on playing him as long as I am on this Earth.
(while seconding ROB)

LONG LIVE THE KING!

Last edited:

ccthirteen

Smash Apprentice
Hello, all! KD3 main here. I've only been maining him since a week or so ago when I put myself to an iron man challenge to play all the characters with a friend of mine and ended up running the table against some very good sheiks, links, Jiggs, and Samus.

Needless to say, it was a good day. :) I found my main (and my alt, R.O.B.) and even though they're the two that I never thought I'd like playing, I'm so glad they are. Kirby was my favorite old school nintendo series and the bath-robe wearing, hammer-swinging penguin king feels right at home for me.

I've already learned a lot on my own and I'm looking to learn more and compete in the local Tallahassee, FL smash scene.

Edit: also, just read Jimmy's post above mine. Right on! KD3 mains and R.O.B. secondaries for the win! Makes me wonder if it's common for KD3 mains to find a secondary home with R.O.B....

Last edited:
NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Edit: also, just read Jimmy's post above mine. Right on! KD3 mains and R.O.B. secondaries for the win! Makes me wonder if it's common for KD3 mains to find a secondary home with R.O.B....
We must be long lost twins. It's the only possible explanation. I MISSED YOU BROTHERRRRRRRRRR......

However, I've found that quite a few people who main The Dedes secondary R.O.B., or vice versa. I thought about it for a while, and it makes a lot of sense. They're incredibly similar in subtle ways. Take their weight and speed, their potentially traitorous projectiles, great grab and aerial games... It's wacky.

Hopefully no one sees this and discovers King Dedede is just ROB with a penguin costume on... THEY'RE CLONES

Last edited:

Mr Akae

Smash Rookie
Hello I'm just a casual who wants to be good. I love King Dedede and big body characters. I hope to learn much from you guys. I'm from nyc and will be attending tourneys very soon

Last edited:
NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
What if it's the other way around and KD3 put his conciousness in a robot so he could live forever?
This can only mean The Dedes is a Mother fan.
Oh goodness he is even more spectacular than I imagined

Hello I'm just a casual who wants to be good. I love King Dedede and big body characters. I hope to learn much from you guys. I'm from nyc and will be attending tourneys very soon
Being someone who's mained The Dedes since he found out about competitive Smash, trust me; you can learn a lot from the helpful fellas here. I've learned many things here, even though I've been a Dedede main since... what? Early 2010?

Also, make sure you lurk on the other character boards. Everyone seems to love their character's universal weakness.
What? I didn't hear anything. I would never consider spying on others. That's wrong.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I'm surprised that ROB is actually somewhat of a go-to secondary...

I don't feel special anymore...

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
All of these ROB secondaries and here I am maining the King and Puff with the mighty hewhohasfallen Meta Knight as my secondary o.o Granted, I haven't tried ROB much at all in this game so I might like using him. I'm too used to his Brawl incarnation which I wasn't a fan of, plus I'm evidently bias towards characters with numerous jumps.

ccthirteen

Smash Apprentice
You could say ROB has "multiple" jumps considering he can up B, then act in the air after using it. I like coming in with a Forward B near the ledge. Great defensive strategy.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
I've been working on ways to minimize the threat of Gordo volleys. Inhaling them from safe distances is shaping up to be a pretty decent option. I still need help with safe landings. Any tips? FF Nair only does so much.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
You're much better off shielding/dodging the gordo than inhaling it.

Both options are faster than inhale and leaves you at a lesser frame disadvantage.
Hell, in the TripleD ditto, I like to fling a gordo at them when they inhale, because the swallowing animation is long enough for me to punish with a grab. And the recovery is too slow, so if they stop, they still "eat" the gordo regardless.

As for safe landings, you mean ON an opponent?

There are none. You shouldn't ever do that in the first place.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
Yes, you definitely can experiment. All I'm saying is that all landing options near an opponent are super unsafe. SH B-Reversed Inhale can be a decent mixup option, but I don't see much else.

You can also technically get some breathing room with a spaced bair on shield to poke/push-back.

Last edited:

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Yes, you definitely can experiment. All I'm saying is that all landing options near an opponent are super unsafe. SH B-Reversed Inhale can be a decent mixup option, but I don't see much else.

You can also technically get some breathing room with a spaced bair on shield to poke/push-back.
Yeah, I tend to cover my landings with Inhales. I was looking around for tips mostly to keep from getting harassed when trying to retreat my landings.

ccthirteen

Smash Apprentice
I've been thinking about scouring the forums and doing research to create a current KD3 compendium of his moveset, best uses, strategies and approach options, matchup data (where available). Just help by creating a topic to further his metagame in general.

Problem is finding the time to do so between work.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
I love the King's back-air, but I can't seem to land it in anything other than situational instances. It just has such long start-up, so I can't quite get it out before I land. Anybody manage any repeatable combos involving the back-air? Long live the King! :4dedede:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Personally, I usually use the bair in two situations. One is retreating since it's relatively fast and ranged. It suffers no lag out of a short hop and isn't punishable on hit (to my knowledge anyways). Also, if it misses or if it's shielded you can 'follow up' with ftilt, more bairs or possbly a down smash, an utilt maybe if they try an air approach or a pivot or dash grab. The other situation I use bair in is for when I'm trying to land. Using his numerous jumps to get away and then fast fall a bair to try and hit them as they approach.

Aside from dthrow follow ups and the odd fast fall'd uair follow ups I don't believe the King has many combos. Sometimes I'm able to combo with gordos and I can imagine there are numerous possibilities with the gordo custom that bounces back and forth for awhile though.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Just made 3rd place in a tournanent
I love the King's back-air, but I can't seem to land it in anything other than situational instances. It just has such long start-up, so I can't quite get it out before I land. Anybody manage any repeatable combos involving the back-air? Long live the King! :4dedede:
Honestly, I've found that in air-combos, the bair is incredibly hard to land and isn't really all that worth it.

I utilize the bair as a surprise technique and use it as I'm falling toward a ground opponent. They never see it coming, and it always sends them up and to the side, leading for the King's wunderbar air-games.

Top Bottom