• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[moved] SSBB AT Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Dear everyone,

Thanks for supporting the Comprehensive Guide and helping me out in every way possible. Seriously, it wouldn't be half as thorough (or as accurate) without you guys! I began the project thinking it would be a solo venture, but the community here has offered an astounding amount of assistance. You information-sharing Smashers all have my gratitude. You are the reason this thread exists. ^ ^

Having finished my days-long odyssey through the Character forums, I believe it's time to ask you you all for input once again. Is there any glaringly obvious thing that I'm still missing? Anything in the guide that really shouldn't be, or should be placed in a different section? I wouldn't mind weeding out the obvious or common knowledge, because the purpose of this is to collect advanced information and non-obvious glitches. I'm all ears, as always.

Also, which of these techniques do you find yourselves using often? Has anything here improved your game or made an impact on the tourney scene? I've never participated in an official Brawl tournament myself, though I play against people who do. I'd love to know what the community at large has been doing as Brawl evolves, if for nothing other than personal curiosity. Candy's request for feedback on the Autolanding today just made me think.

See you all around the forums!
Thanks for making and maintaining this thread! This information would be lost without a good organizer.

You made great definitions of the Pit adv. techs, we never made ones ourselves, and we've had to repeatedly explain things poorly to new people. I can now show them what you said!

sagemoon

Smash Lord
- Wing Gliding/Wave Gliding
How to Perform: Jump, then do an Up-B as soon as you leave the ground. Hold Left or Right.
Effect: Pit travels along the ground fairly quickly in his Wings of Icarus state. Best used for a quick retreat.
Wing gliding/wave gliding is slightly different than this, It's when you press A to cancel the glide when you're coming into the ground. The effect is that the glide attack wont be visible but the momentum of the glide caries pit quite a distance.

On another note.. I forgot the name to this tech (glide shifting i remember now), but pit (not sure if other characters can too) can fast fall right when going into his gliding animation so he glides at ground level rather than the double jump height. It can make a usefull approach if done right, especially if you use the wave glide thing to avoid punishment

Tenki

Smash Hero
Ganondorf can also suck off Ike if he uses his u-tilt (while he's raising his leg)

Cboy

Smash Rookie
Zero Suit Samus never ending combo

I recently discover that zero suit samus has a never ending combo that is non-recoverable. Once your the enemy is is over 30% damage, get very close to your target and do the down-smash move twice and then the up+b special and repeat. you can lock them in this combo nearly forever.
once people realize how upstopable this combo is, i am pretty sure zerosuit samus will rise greatly in the character tier.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
I recently discover that zero suit samus has a never ending combo that is non-recoverable. Once your the enemy is is over 30% damage, get very close to your target and do the down-smash move twice and then the up+b special and repeat. you can lock them in this combo nearly forever.
once people realize how upstopable this combo is, i am pretty sure zerosuit samus will rise greatly in the character tier.
Your combo only works if they don't DI, which is very easy to do during the up-B.

trialofelements

Smash Rookie
Mm'k, so I don't have video proof of this, but it's so freakin' easy to test, you can verify it if you want to pretty simply.

Oh, it's a glitch, btw, not some scary new AT.

If you use any time-slowing anything (stopwatch, certain Final Smashes, Shadow Assist Trophy, etc.) while the Ice Climbers are around, Nana (or Popo, depending on your colors. Whichever one you're not directly controlling) has their smoke and flashes and getting hit, etc. slowed down even after the effect of the time-slowing wears off. Nana herself is not slowed down, all attacks execute the same, it's just a visual glitch with the flashes, smoke, and bangs that directly have to do with Nana.

???????

Smash Journeyman
This is the best description I can give on Capedashing:

Capedashing is canceling your running animation (Not the initial dash) with the cape which results in a small slide that covers about the same distance as wavelanding. Also, when capedashing is done off a ledge it does an auto Cape Glide with whatever momentum is left over.

*The easiest way to the timing down for capedashing is just hold forward and press B near the end of your initial dash (Again, the slide is small but it's enough to get a few surprise capes and it does an auto Cape Glide)*

Again, this is mentioned in Help!'s guide:
http://smashboards.com/archive/index.php/t-167824.html

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
If the search comes up blank, no character-specific discoveries have been reported for them.
So many nice characters could use an AT, but all characters are not created equal. Unfortunately, nobody has reported anything for Marth, Kirby, Zero Suit, or Game&Watch yet, but the possibility of a future discovery still exists for them. ROB too is being left out - several posters around the boards have said that ROB's entries are actually common sense. Nobody's told me to take them down, though, so I leave them where they stand until something better develops.

As for Marth love, I don't think you have to worry - Marth is placing very well in tournaments now, even without a character-specific glitch to exploit. If something good comes along, all the better for you and your fellow Marth players.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure you don't have to footstool Squirtle to "tip" his side-b. Just do a normal jump, oldschool Mario style.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
This isn't really tech material, but I thought you might be interested since G&W has nothing at all so far. It's a list of every move game and watch can catch in a sort of damage tier, comparing their worth and describing roughly, how powerful three of said projectile are. Sodacova made it, and it's included in Omegablackmage's G&W guide.

Sodacova put together this nice chart that categorizes the effects of the down b (ko's are referenced from the middle of final d)

18% damage, won't KO until well over 100%
Lizardon - fire breath
Ice Climber - breath
Koopa - fire breath

25% damage, KOs around 65% with no DI
Lucas - PK Fire
Fox - blaster
Falco - blaster
Samus - uncharged shots
Peach - counter (pan foods)
DDD - beam attack from waddle

33% damage
Ness - PK Fire
Yoshi - Down B Stars
ZSS - uncharged neutral b

42% damage, KOs around 20% with no DI
Robot - optic blast
Mario - fireballs
Pit - arrows
Dedede - Up B stars

44% damage
Lucario - uncharged energy ball

50% damage, KOs at 0% with no DI
Lucario - forward b (max range of move)
Pikachu - neutral B lightning (after the projectile hits the ground)
Wolf - blaster
Luigi - fireball
Kirby - final cutter
ZSS - charged neutral B

60% damage, KOs at 0% even with DI
Pikachu - down B lightning (can max in one go if you catch under pikachu on a platform)
Pikachu - neutral b (ball form)
Zelda - Din's Fire
Lucas - PK Freeze
Lucas - PK Thunder
Ness - PK Flash
Ness - PK Thunder
Lucario - fully charged energy balls
Lucario - forward b (closest range possible)
Samus - fully charged shots
ZSS - downsmash (any charge)

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
Wow. Bowser, Sonic, Pikachu, Pit, Luigi, and now Kirby? This makes six characters with infinite jumps.

Yeah, I actually removed information today - Hyphen Smashing and Rob's Falling D-air. One was just common sense with a fancy name, the other was an isolated use of other information (drifting aerials and specials). Don't panic, though - I'm not going to start mass-deleting stuff. Those two had been bugging me for some time, but I only now got around to doing something about it.

Tay, that is one sweet guide. It's not an AT or Glitch, which is unfortunate, but it is a Useful List. I'm on the fence about it, since it applies to only one character, but when you think about it, the list applies to any character that might face G&W in a match. Eh...I'll find the link and update later today. Tough decision, though. Thanks for the submission.

*edit: I decided to add the link in Helpful Threads instead of Useful Lists. There is WAY more info in Mr. Escalator's Guide than just the list.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
You forgot Charizard, so there are seven of them.

It's pretty crazy they can all do this, but at least there's nothing game breaking about them.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I was hesitant to mention it at all, but your recent comment that G&W had absolutely nothing in this thread yet made me decide to post it, if only so he could have something. The problem with game and watch is that all of the common tricks and styles are completely expected, normal engine reactions. There aren't a whole lot of exploits or glitches, to my knowledge, that other characters seem so abundant with. Oh, and just to be clear, though Omegablackmage and I share an avatar, that guide is not my work. The only thread I've ever created remains my C-Stick guide. =P

Edit: Whoopsie. Seems I missed the creation of an even more detailed analysis of the Bucket, by Mr. Escalator. It should probably be listed as well, or possibly instead, of my earlier mention. The original list creator is properly credited in the thread.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=168077

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
holy dear jeebus...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x8bnxDKJqI

IF ike wasnt hard enough...this chain "forever slash" AT should par him up pretty well with DDD...

the guy from BC says all you to do is Up-A tils,then hold A...if it connects he should be able to chain the poor soul across the screen...what are the odds of that happenning in a real match?

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
holy dear jeebus...

IF ike wasnt hard enough...this chain "forever slash" AT should par him up pretty well with DDD...
Wut th' EFFF!? Does that work against all characters, or just Ganondorf? So goofy.

Also, since Ganon bounced once in the video, it looks like a new kind of Jab Lock to me. Can you initiate it *before* the character bounces off of the stage while the opponent is still airborne? If so, I think I'll pick up Ike for the sole purpose of showing this off in friendlies.

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
Im gonna try to ask him,but im guessing it works just the way it is.

Im not sure about the DI details or any of that jazz yet.

EDIT: also..he says theres noway to escape it.
DI is inert to this...thing..

UGH.

IKE....

oh wait..so it's like a JAB LOCK eh?...looked too cool to be one.
:laugh:

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
I tested the Ike Forever-Slash just a few minutes ago. The trick is simple and easy to replicate. The instructions were very helpful. Results are as follows.

1.) This is not a Jab Lock. Ike continuously hits Ganon with his first jab, but he doesn't need to wait for the bounce. All he has to do is catch Ganon with his first jab during Ganon's falling animation.

2.) If Ganon smash-DI's toward or away from Ike, the 1-2-3 jab combo completes, sending Ganon flying and ending the jab chain. DI does allow Ganon to escape.

3.) I couldn't get it to work with characters other than Ganon, even without DI. It looks like this auto-combo only works on Ganon. There may be others, but I haven't found them.

The video maker was just sandbagging after all. How unfortunate. Still, it's fun to watch and provided an amusing mystery. Thanks for sharing. :)

Smashbros_7, Fearmy: Thanks for the hidden AT lists! All of the AT's have been added to their respective characters in a new update.

siqmonkey

Smash Apprentice
so there's no Marth or King Dedede Character Specifics. bummer. i thought they would at least have something to their advantage. oh well.

???????

Smash Journeyman
holy dear jeebus...

the guy from BC says all you to do is Up-A tils,then hold A...if it connects he should be able to chain the poor soul across the screen...what are the odds of that happenning in a real match?
Many characters can do this.

*Example: Mario's Utilt on a sandbag and hold A (The sandbag should be stuck above Mario's fist during his jab like Ganondorf with Ike)*

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
how many people really use all these in brawl?

i bet a little kid could beat them by just playing and it makes me sad lol

∫unk

Smash Master
As a Marth main and G&W secondary RARing and ARing are crucial.

Learning glide toss is useful too.

Some of them are worthless though.

And I'm not sure where this theory of little kids beating competitive people in Brawl comes from. If you're good you should destroy the little kid. If you think you're good but you're getting owned then most likely scenario you just suck.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
Edge Popping
Carried over from Melee. For those who don't know, Edge Popping is a term used for preventing your character from sweet-spotting a ledge. Simply hold Down on the joystick when passing through the ledge's sweet-spot area. Your character will not grab the ledge as normal, but will pass it completely uninterrupted.
Ahahahaha

Edge popping, you say? What a familiar sounding name, lol

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
- B-Reversal
How to Perform: Enter the input for any B-move, then slam the joystick in the opposite direction your character is facing before the animation begins. Can be done with all types of specials, not just Neutral B, but not all specials can be reversed. A list of compatible moves can be found in the Lists section of this post.
Effect: Character's horizontal momentum is completely canceled/reversed, character faces opposite direction, B-move executes. Can be used during dashes and jumps for easy pivoting too.
OP: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=155369

- Recoil Special (a.k.a. B-sticking)
How to Perform: In the air, B-Reverse a Turnaround B or a backwards side-B. This is more easily accomplished by pushing the joystick forward and the C-stick backwards with the C-stick set to Specials.
Effect: Character's horizontal momentum is completely canceled/reversed, character stays facing the same direction, B-move executes. Can be used to space projectile approaches.
OP: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=152409
More info: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=152815

Uh... those are both the exact same thing. Why are they separated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom