• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Movie Talk!!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Does anyone know if the Les Miserables movie is any good? I love the tale of Les Miserables but I haven't read if the film butchered it or not.

Apparently they (Hollywood) butchered Phantom of the Opera, which is another thing I loved.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
So its universal that everyone loved django.

The teo most cringe worthy scenes are the mandingo fight and the dogs tearing someone apart. Besides that the violence is imo so over the top it imo isnt a big deal (this is a good thing b/c it has a lot of blood and violence, but this keeps it from getting to gruesome to enjoy)

:phone:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Does anyone know if the Les Miserables movie is any good? I love the tale of Les Miserables but I haven't read if the film butchered it or not.
It really depends, I suppose. If you're a fan of the novel, then it might be what you'd consider "butchered", because it follows the musical. The movie practically is a musical. Even so, some details are changed from the musical.

However, as a fan of the musical for several years (I know all of the songs by heart), I most certainly wouldn't consider it butchered. I found the movie to be a beautiful adaptation, actually. It stays very close to the musical. But it makes it very emotional on top of it. I was in tears throughout most of the movie, but perhaps that's just me. I cry so easily. xD

It's definitely worth a watch if you are a fan of the musical. Although I still very much prefer the musical versions of the songs. I suppose that has to be that way since I have listened to the same songs for so many years, and I have grown used to the singers and instrumentation. I always loved the amount of oboe and English horn in the musical and there isn't quite as much in the movie, but that's fine, and probably only something I noticed because I consider the English horn to be the most beautiful instrument ever. =P

Kal

Smash Champion
In my opinion, Les Mis was not very good. It epitomizes many of the issues I have with contemporary musical theatre.

joY

Pot splitter
What are some of the issues you have with contemporary musical theatre?

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
successful thread

I can relate I guess to the negative sentiment toward musicals, but this one's cool just cause the singing was recorded at the same time as the acting. More raw, bro
Les Mis is probably the only musical I'd pay to see (that's not including a ton of animated films that are pretty much musicals as well)

...why is it so much easier to watch a cartoon musical than a live action one...
I guess the whimsy of the context of singing cartoons just makes it easier to tolerate

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What about Plan 9 from outer space? Or Troll 2? Or Birdemic?

MANOS THE HANDS OF FATE

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
By the standards of competent film making, Plan 9 is pretty abysmal
but there's something to be said for it still being really ****ing fun to watch haha

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Any of you guys watch movie reviews on youtube? I get quite a laugh out of Jeremy Jahns, and Chris Stuckmann provides some good insight as well.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
What about Plan 9 from outer space? Or Troll 2? Or Birdemic?

MANOS THE HANDS OF FATE
I recently watched Birdemic. Wow. A new low.

Honestly, I don't think The Room is that bad. I can't remember where I read it, but there was a review of The Room where the author wrote that it's hilarious, but it's also very personal. It has characters that go through emotional anguish and internal conflict, and even though they are horribly crafted unrealistic characters with awful dialogue, at the end of the film we feel like we know Tommy Wisseau a little better as a human being, and we think about what kind of experiences he's had in life that he wrote the script for The Room.

Birdemic on the other hand is complete trash with zero substance, and at the end you don't have a warm fuzzy feeling like you might at the end of The Room--instead you just feel empty and wasteful.

The Room is hilariously bad, and I can watch it over and over again and not get tired of it. Birdemic, I hope I never suffer through again.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
WTF? Someone is making a new Evil Dead movie?

That is just wrong!!!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It looks like a serious horror movie...

How can you put Evil Dead and serious horror movie in the same sentence?

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Why does it have to have the same tone as the original? In fact, the tonal shift seems to validate the fact it is being remade, particularly to those who would appreciate that.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why remake it in the first place?

I don't get it

Landry

Smash Ace
I honestly don't get why people even care about The Room. It's not the awful enough to justify the hype. Like, don't get me wrong, its an terrible film. Just not terrible enough for how much hype it gets.

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith is seriously worse than The Room. All aspects of the recent Star Wars films are absolutely terrible. I swear to god Tommy Wiseau is better at writing dialogue than modern George Lucas.

Kal

Smash Champion
Revenge of the Sith is admittedly pretty ****ing horrible, in part because of the initial reaction from fans that it "wasn't that bad." Yes, it ****ing was that bad. **** you.

Anyway, enough of this "they changed it, now it sucks!" nonsense. The Evil Dead remake will probably be awesome, because Bruce Mother****ing Campbell says so

We're not trying to dodge anybody's questions, there just isn't that much to talk about. The remake's gonna kick *** - you have my word.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I don't see the need for an Evil Dead remake either, but if Bruce Campbell vouches for it, then it's going to be good. Because Bruce Campbell is God, and God has spoken.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
It looks like a serious horror movie...

How can you put Evil Dead and serious horror movie in the same sentence?
Trailers are deceiving. See "Cabin in the Woods." The trailers all focused on the horror element rather than it being an awesome black comedy.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
In terms of comedy, I'd really like to see "This is the End". The trailer was able to make me laugh a lot at least, though I'm faintly afraid it won't be good. I'm very afraid that Movie 43 won't be good either, its humor almost came off "Scary Movie"ish.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Have any of you seen the original Evil Dead? it's really not that comedic. that started with 2.

new one looks amazing. nothing "needs" to be remade, but thankfully remakes don't damage or replace the original works, i think it's a dumb pet complaint that everyone has

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I can understand the sentiment that people want brand new works preferably over remakes.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Have any of you seen the original Evil Dead? it's really not that comedic. that started with 2.

new one looks amazing. nothing "needs" to be remade, but thankfully remakes don't damage or replace the original works, i think it's a dumb pet complaint that everyone has
It wasn't made to be comedic, but the way it turned out, it's basically a black comedy

The rest of the series followed the tone of that

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Sure, in an ideal world they wouldn't, but I think they do tarnish the reputation and awareness of the originals (in cases where the original is vastly superior to the remake; if they're both good, that's cool, or if the remake is better than the original, that's cool too).

...okay, to be totally honest though, remakes bug me mostly because, in conversation, they force me to clarify what I'm talking about. And that's really annoying.

"Ah, Red Dawn is a classic."
"OMG Chris Hemsworth is so hot."
"No, not the remake you *******. I mean the original."

"The Fog is great. No, not the ****ty remake, I mean the original."

"The Longest Yard? Awesome! I mean the original with Burt Reynolds, not that ridiculous Adam Sandler nonsense."

"The Thing is my favorite movie of all time. No, not that ****ty remake they billed as a prequel and gave the same title. I mean the original 1982 film by John Carpenter." [also, woe be to anyone who tries to tell me "but goldshadow, the 1982 The Thing itself was a remake of the 1951 film The Thing From Another World!" because no it wasn't, I've seen both and the 1982 film was not really a remake at all, more of a reinterpretation inspired by the premise of the 1951 film that was ultimately totally different from the 1951 film; also, I hear the 1982 film is more closely based on the original novella that inspired the 1951 film, though I haven't read said novella]

Okay, so I guess my issue is specifically with remakes that are bad and have the same title as the original.

Kal

Smash Champion
I agree. The first time I saw Evil Dead, it was not very funny. It was a little narmy, but there was none of that B-movie comedy we've come to expect of the series until the second film.

Agreed wholeheartedly. Remakes are great; if they're ****ty, they at least encourage people to watch the original. If they're good, then there's no reason to complain. Though I agree with GoldShadow that it's annoying when you have to clarify "no, the original, not the remake" because the remake is a piece of ****.

Speaking of remakes, has anyone seed Dredd? The 2012 sort-of-remake was kind of ****ing awesome.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I wanted to see it, but never got a chance to.

Edit: I just watched Dredd. I kind of liked it. Though, I don't think it matches anywhere NEAR the original. LOL.

Peeze

Smash Master
Tree of Life is absolutely phenomenal. the last 20 minutes could have been tighter but i was in love with that movie otherwise

:phone:
I've heard it gets better, so i may give it another go. But to me it felt like it was trying too hard to be existentialist.
Meaning rather than raising subtle questions in the viewers mind through plot and character development, you were just presented with the directors view on life, not at all attempted to be masked or developed.

I prefer the former to the latter.
If that makes sense.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Some of the voiceover is a little on the nose and obvious, I'll agree to that. There's reall not that much of it though, and it is vague and obscure enough to not feel exactly like the director is preaching anything. Think of it more as an opening narration that puts the main story into context, like the "rings" monologue that opens Lord of the Rings.

It's not a film that's particularly concerned with plot or character development. The characters are personifications of the themes presented by the voiceovers rather than realistic/naturalistic "humans". Also, I think the movie could work almost just as well without the voiceover or most of the dialogue.

I guess I can see why people think it's really pretentious or whatever, but I got immediately swept up from the beginning by the sheer breadth and awesomeness of the visual and aural experience. it wasn't until the end where I felt it got really hammy and cliche artiste

Kal

Smash Champion
I just watched Dredd. I kind of liked it. Though, I don't think it matches anywhere NEAR the original. LOL.
I donno. The original is so stupidly narmy and the remake felt innovative with its plot. I might say I liked the remake more than the original, but I would have to go back and watch the original one more time (last time I saw it was maybe 8 years ago).

Top Bottom