• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NCSU Smash Stacks - Round 9 @DUKE 10/30

Gardevior

Smash Lord
And I heard the ZEN draft season was probably one of the worst in Magic history.
I mean, as DJ said, it's still fun the first few times. It just gets real boring, real fast.
Ledger_Damayn said:
@Lee: But some versions of Jund run 2x Garruk! Are you calling Jund a bad deck?
YES I AM. It only had, what, two copies of it in the top 8 in PT San Diego? That deck clearly sucks now.
Jon said:
Jace wasn't in Zendikar. Getraped.
I read that as "Get trapped", 'cuz you know Traps were in Zendikar.
DJRome said:
gah, we almost have enough for an 8 man if you all join lol cutting the roe sheets monday likely
How many people did you draft with yesterday?
Duke is sooo far but I want to draft.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
I sold the lotus cobra for like 60 dollars
**** lol.

I can't do anything this week. School/work johns.

@Lee: Well, the version with Garruk sucks for sure lol. If for no other reason than Vengevine is almost strictly better for the same cost. Like, I'm pretty sure Bloodbraid Elf -> x -> Vengevine would probably make me want to quit Standard.

Gardevior

Smash Lord
Jace needs to go die in a fire. You can't even beat that card when it comes down turn 4. Or 3, even. Or like a game on Friday I played, 2.

GWU seems a little iffy without...oh wait, the multicolor block brought like nothing to the table manabase wise. wtf wizards, you're letting the land block carry the multicolor one.
But seriously just cut the skyfishers and white. That color sucks. I like white as much as I like Kirby in smash games.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
You're right. I forgot that Ranger of Eos cycled out. But Gideon Jura and Wall of Omens might make it worth it to splash White.

I mean, it was probably in Wizard's design, since they had Lorwyn's vivids then Zendikar's fetches/manlands. Alara block constructed must have been total garbage lol.

Gardevior

Smash Lord
Vivids were only supposed to be manafixing for Limited, though. When 5CC came out, Wizards was like "Oh...maybe we should've had the Vivids only get 1 counter. Now we don't have a color pie. People are playing Cryptic Command and Broodmate Dragon in the same deck."

Jon?

Smash Champion
5cc was the deck I made for Standard. It was fun knowing I can play a Cruel Ultimatum easily after casting a Cryptic Command.

Foxy

Smash Master
Looking for a date, officially planning the next tournament.

Upcoming dates:

6/12 - Splash! (Cary) [Melee, MK Wii]
6/19 -
6/26 - Duke XII (Durham) [Melee]
7/3 -

Looks like there's nothing on the 19th - we could host it then. Neither of the other upcoming tournaments are holding Brawl so there should be minimal conflict with consecutive weekend dates.

I really want to hype this up, make proper use of our great venues and bring in all of the players waiting for a good Brawl tournament in the Summer. I think it's possible to promote it enough in the time before the 19th (just under 2 weeks), but I want to hear if anyone has conflicts and would prefer July 3rd over June 19th.

I'll be going down to NCSU to try to confirm a venue early this week.

DJRome

Smash Hero
lee, im starting to love black blue in the zzw format. idk, i guess i prefer the land interactions to the creatures of roe from what i've read so far.

but definitely bring a set of roe if you wanna draft. probably will be doing one wednesday

DJRome

Smash Hero
lol do you guys have your sets ready? i only have 3x of each card so you would each need to bring 1 set

Gardevior

Smash Lord
lee, im starting to love black blue in the zzw format. idk, i guess i prefer the land interactions to the creatures of roe from what i've read so far.
Blue black is nice. Windrider Eel and the tap down guy that untaps when you play a land are both sick. Black Red is the best color pairing in the format, though; too much removal, Surrakar Murauder and Goblin Shortcutter and other cards I could name but haven't played the format in a while.
but definitely bring a set of roe if you wanna draft. probably will be doing one wednesday
I still don't have a place to print those sheets out. And IRONICALLY Wednesday is the day I'm going to be EDHing at AFNG.

let's have a draft at the next NCSU
This. Way this.
I just drafted the best deck I ever have ever and went 6-0 in games, 3-0 in matches. Won 8 packs and Student of Warfare (and I think I get like 1 or 2 Qualifying Points for winning an 8-4, but whatever).
The Draft
Absurd Deck (without land - 9 Plains and 8 Islands for the curious)

DJRome

Smash Hero
you can print them at duke, but you'd have to cut them yourself. it's quite a pain but well worth it

Gardevior

Smash Lord
you can print them at duke, but you'd have to cut them yourself. it's quite a pain but well worth it
What are you printing them on, regular paper or some sort of stock? Because I might actually do a draft here, just bring extra cards and print out stuff to complete packs.

DJRome

Smash Hero
uh. . . it's like a matte surface paper. very good quality stuff. they print schematics and such with it. idk, the prints we have look very similar to the real cards esp in the sleeves. just slightly blurrier but otherwise perfect (except for our cuts as well lol)

Gardevior

Smash Lord
What I'm probably going to end up doing is generate the boosters using some program, or MTGO or something, then look for those cards in my collection and the ones I don't have I'll print out paper proxies of and put them in a sleeve (that has a real card in it to give it form). Because that's just the cheapest method that matches the feel of real cards.

It's gonna be a pain to buy 400 sleeves though.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
Looking for a date, officially planning the next tournament.

Upcoming dates:

6/12 - Splash! (Cary) [Melee, MK Wii]
6/19 -
6/26 - Duke XII (Durham) [Melee]
7/3 -

Looks like there's nothing on the 19th - we could host it then. Neither of the other upcoming tournaments are holding Brawl so there should be minimal conflict with consecutive weekend dates.

I really want to hype this up, make proper use of our great venues and bring in all of the players waiting for a good Brawl tournament in the Summer. I think it's possible to promote it enough in the time before the 19th (just under 2 weeks), but I want to hear if anyone has conflicts and would prefer July 3rd over June 19th.

I'll be going down to NCSU to try to confirm a venue early this week.
july 3rd wouldn't be very good imo because most people are out of town that weekend for independence day

DJRome

Smash Hero
well we draft using ccgdecks.com. so idk if you can just make ur own boosters that way. if you have 1 copy of every non rare, just print off the rares and mystic rares and then we can use ur set of commons and uncommons with ours

Gardevior

Smash Lord
Yeah, the 19th is best.

edit - I like drafting on an interface that isn't completely terrible, though, DJ. Like IRL.
(Though maybe they redesigned their interface since Time Spiral)

DJRome

Smash Hero
well, it's just much easier since we can't put the cards together without looking at each pack and then between the packs there's a few minutes to get the cards. mostly that interface is pretty good imo. it displays the cards and you click them. idk what else. we can try one online tonight if you want. i probably can't make this ncsu on account of no car though :/

Gardevior

Smash Lord
It's true that I can't put together the packs without looking at all of the individual cards. But there are so many variables in drafting (who gets what pack in what order and where they sit) that I consider knowing a bomb rare is out there (but not knowing who has it) negligible.

As for online tonight, the thing is that I won a draft on MTGO last night which got me 8 packs, which is enough for at least two more drafts, assuming I win nothing from either of those drafts. And I really like MTGO's interface and the fact that I'm at least drafting with 8 real people. And the actual play portion of MTGO is great, too (automatic rules enforcement). Whereas if I draft on CCGdecks I would have to play on, like, MWS. Which is one of my least favorite programs. Though I understand MTGO costs money and not everyone can afford it (If I didn't work for wizards I wouldn't play MTGO often).

And get someone nearby to take you!

lord karn

Smash Master
Actually, it's not too hard to make packs without looking at the cards. Just set all the cards face down in certain piles. Select the right proportion of from each pile (being rarity and color), and then form all the packs.

I'm not sure exactly what the pack formula is, but I'm sure there is a method for doing it without looking. Malk did it all the time when we made packs from old cards.

DJRome

Smash Hero
well i was saying that if we draft using ccg, we could then make the decks using real cards.

but for packs to be "randomized" you would need also sufficient copies of each card

Top Bottom