• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NCSU Smash Stacks - Round 9 @DUKE 10/30

Gardevior

Smash Lord
You can't normal draft either of those sets, though. RoE requires you to draft into an archtype and thusly pick cards in a manner that puts synergy over strength. Zendikar/Worldwake requires you to pretty much forget drafting synergy and just draft the endless two drops with evasion and curve out, picking up removal. There's no thought involved in drafting Zendikar Worldwake - you just pick the removal spell, or the best creature. Period. And playing the format is boring because while the set is supposed to be land based, there's no land interactions other than "OKAY I PLAYED A LAND MY GUY GETS +2/+2 NOW! :D", which is just more aggro.

Not to say I suck at them, though. I've played and won ZZW drafts. But I only played like five of them the entire time and then just stopped because it wasn't interesting enough. I've played in about 11 RRR drafts so far (and it's been a month and a half since it's release), and won or placed in about 7 of them.

Gardevior

Smash Lord
Zen is just short for Zendikar. The Zendikar set is broken up into three sets - Zendikar and Worldwake and Rise of the Eldrazi. But It's different than, say, the Rav block in that isn't not big set/small set/small set. It's Big set/small set/Big set. So you draft Zendikar/Zendikar/Worldwake and not Zendikar/Worldwake/Rise, because Rise and Zendikar have completely different themes ("lands" and omg giant monsters, respectively).

Drafting sets with not only different but polar opposite themes doesn't really mesh.

lord karn

Smash Master
lol *face-palm* didn't realize that

yeah, zendikar was the most recent set out last time I drafted. that makes sense, though.

DJRome

Smash Hero
Uh, I just downloaded the card images from Rapidshare and made panoranmic sheets using Irfanview. And then I used the school schematics printer for CE to print them out in good quality.

I'm currently thinking about drafting Zen/Zen/WW. I'm calculating the probability of getting 4 or more in 6 boosters of Zen since I only have 3 copies of each card. I can email you the sheets if you want, but you're going to need a good place to print them.

Gardevior

Smash Lord
mmm, it's an option, I guess, if I can find people that would want to draft @ State. Go ahead and email me the sheets. [My smashboards username]@gmail.com.

And I would probably use a booster generator like the one on CCGdecks.com or Magic Set Editor (I actually think it generates scans and prints them, too) just as opposed to randomizing them by hand. But hand works if there's no good scan generator.

And RoEx3 all the way. It's sooooo much more fun than ZZW.

edit - Keith, Magic pros make more than Brawl or Melee ones. :p

Gardevior

Smash Lord
I want to hold a Scars of Mirrodin block draft next year though at State, since Wizards gives me 8 packs of every set once it comes out, I could just save them and hold a draft when the last set comes out. It'll be like $3 or something and we'll play for the money; $10 if you want to keep your cards.

DJRome

Smash Hero
ill be drafting tonight and a few times next week. pm me ur email lee for the images. oh, and i don't have enough extra sleeves so you'll need ur own as well

Gardevior

Smash Lord
Pro Tour San Juan, last weekend.

1. P.V. Damo da Rosa $40,000
2. Guillaume Matignon $20,000
3. Andrea Giarola $15,000
4. Noah Swartz $13,000
5. Josh Utter-Leyton $11,000
6. Brad Nelson $10,500
7. Koutarou Ootsuka $10,000
8. Jeremy Neeman $9,500

Total: $210,500
(I could only find info for Top 8, but payout was to Top 16 IIRC)

I actually would like to see what Brawl players make, since I have no idea. I chose Brawl because I assume it pays out more than Melee.

edit - So, found something:
Mew2King (Meta Knight) beats Ally (Snake) in the Finals 6-4 to earn himself $2,500 and the respect that comes with being the first-ever Champion. Ally earned $1500 for his second place finish, with Tyrant (Meta Knight, Marth) earning $1000 for third. Congratulations to these three for their impressive performance!
So top three got $5,000 combined, in MLG Orlando. Is this the highest payout tournament? Because Magic pretty much stomps MLG.

Gardevior

Smash Lord
To be fair to keith, I didn't really know what Brawl or Melee players made at high levels. I just assumed it wasn't near around the international level of a card game that's had a competitive pro tour for over ten years.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
Pro Tour San Juan, last weekend.

1. P.V. Damo da Rosa $40,000
2. Guillaume Matignon $20,000
3. Andrea Giarola $15,000
4. Noah Swartz $13,000
5. Josh Utter-Leyton $11,000
6. Brad Nelson $10,500
7. Koutarou Ootsuka $10,000
8. Jeremy Neeman $9,500

Total: $210,500
(I could only find info for Top 8, but payout was to Top 16 IIRC)

I actually would like to see what Brawl players make, since I have no idea. I chose Brawl because I assume it pays out more than Melee.

edit - So, found something:
So top three got $5,000 combined, in MLG Orlando. Is this the highest payout tournament? Because Magic pretty much stomps MLG.
this was all a big lie... I looked up all these peoples name. u lied about everything.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Lol Keith.

@Stingers: Because Magic is a better game lol.

I didn't know PV made THAT much bank this week rofl. No wonder pros never ***** about running 4x Jace in every deck they make.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
I dunno. It keeps going up every week. and now that Pro Tour San Juan proved that he's staple in Block Constructed too, his price will keep on going up. It's probably around $80-90 right now.

Gardevior

Smash Lord
Yeah, Jace is $80 right now at CFB and SCG, and foil Jace is $120.

And pros do QQ about card price, because they win $$$ whether a top tier card costs $50 or $10, but which would you rather pay? They just don't whine as much because, well, $40,000.

edit - Foxy, gtfo this Magic thread.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Lol, I don't need help. I'm just lazy and never remember when I'm in the area. Mostly because I'm only ever just in the area. I'd have to drive out of my way to get there. Only slightly, but still. Since I no longer live in Bragaw therefore have no advantage over anyone else attempting to reserve the space, there is no reason that I should be the preferred person to do this.

@Lee: Lol, the other problem with Jace is that he plays so nicely with other retardedly expensive cards. Source: Mythic and Super Friends/UW Control

@Baby: It's expensive because it's staple in almost every sanctioned constructed environment, and was printed as a Mythic Rare because he's a planeswalker. So, yeah, like the totally opposite of illegal. As a general rule, if you can support UU in your mana base, you probably should run 4x Jace.

EDIT: Unfortunately, the best card to counter Jace is Jace. So, yeah lol.

Gardevior

Smash Lord
Planeswalkers in general play well in general with other cards because they have 2+ recurrable abilities that cost no mana and require no resources, and aren't linear, so they fit everywhere.

But yeah, Jace is too much. Most expensive (standard) card when I started playing was $20. Though it was included in a $15 precon.

Foxy

Smash Master
Lol, I don't need help. I'm just lazy and never remember when I'm in the area. Mostly because I'm only ever just in the area. I'd have to drive out of my way to get there. Only slightly, but still. Since I no longer live in Bragaw therefore have no advantage over anyone else attempting to reserve the space, there is no reason that I should be the preferred person to do this.
Ah I keep forgetting that fact, I keep thinking you still live at Bragaw

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
i use to have garruk wildspeaker in pretty good condition. i think it still is. How much is that worth?

Jon?

Smash Champion
Garruk wasn't in Zendikar. Getraped.

Regarding Pro Player payouts: Top 16 rake in the cash big time. Getting 16th place at a Pro Tour is pretty much the same as getting first at Brawl MLG. Even if you don't place, Wizards pay for your ticket out there. So basically, you get a free vacation if you qualify.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Heard amazing things about ROE/ROE/ROE drafts. More notably, I get texts from Lee continuously telling me how amazing the format is, on top of the endless laud from pros.

And I heard the ZEN draft season was probably one of the worst in Magic history.

@Karn: Lol, should have sold that Lotus Cobra before everyone realized it was overhyped.

@Lee: But some versions of Jund run 2x Garruk! Are you calling Jund a bad deck?

EDIT: Lol some versions of Polymorph run Garruk too. Rofl @ overhyped garbage deck that says gg to Path to Exile.

Top Bottom