• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New AT! Peach's Bair Trap (Vid)

Xyless

Smash Master
I swear, by the end of today, I'll figure out how to do this. Just can't seem to get my floats off fast enough, especially without a c-stick.

-NEOLINK-

Smash Journeyman
Wow, nice work! The technique looks fantastic for peach and the fact that it synergizes with the turnips is an extra bonus. + bonus points for having a name that makes sense and makes me laugh at the pun lol bair trap, too good! This will definitely make things more interesting.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
No, I'm saying you can't get someone to get on the ground because attacks wont send them down into the ground if they DI upward. I can do this technique at will once it's setup at this point, and after hundreds of matches since being able to do so I haven't found the situation or chance to use it even once..

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
No, I'm saying you can't get someone to get on the ground because attacks wont send them down into the ground if they DI upward. I can do this technique at will once it's setup at this point, and after hundreds of matches since being able to do so I haven't found the situation or chance to use it even once..
I can see what you're saying, I might have found something else though. I'll post if anything comes of it

Niko_K

Smash Master
Exactly my point, at high level play all my attacks are being DI'd away from the ground anyways, making this technique futile. Though now that we know that bair has locking properties, there may be other things that can come from it.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Exactly my point, at high level play all my attacks are being DI'd away from the ground anyways, making this technique futile. Though now that we know that bair has locking properties, there may be other things that can come from it.
Not ALL attacks, if people don't see something coming they don't necessarily DI it right, but most of the time they will DI correctly like you said.

Also, just to let you guys know if the B-air is Fresh it only has locking properties to about 90%

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
thats really cool dude kool find!! what controller do you use? just curious
kool find
I use a gamecube controller. I do a half claw with my pointer finger on X to jump. It's actually quite comfortable

DeadX

Smash Journeyman
what are the finger movements? i can't seem to get it...

gantrain05

Smash Master
Gantrain can you upsmash out of shield with regular consistency?
yeah, i've gotten used to OoS moves, since i've had tap jump off and had to use bowsers fortress on numerous occasions, but no, i don't have any trouble with Usmash OoS with peach on standard control settings minus tapjump.

Scaphist

Smash Apprentice
Would it be possible to start it with a footstool?

Edit: Maybe it's possible at a certain height(too close to the ground wouldn't work because they'd hit the ground too fast) that you can footstool, float immediately, cancel the float, and fall(or possibly fast fall) into the bair. Just throwing it out there, maybe someone could try it out. I would myself but I can't right now.

MarcBuckley

Smash Journeyman
Would it be possible to start it with a footstool?

Edit: Maybe it's possible at a certain height(too close to the ground wouldn't work because they'd hit the ground too fast) that you can footstool, float immediately, cancel the float, and fall(or possibly fast fall) into the bair. Just throwing it out there, maybe someone could try it out. I would myself but I can't right now.

in the time it takes peach to do that your opponent would have already performed a Ukemi

Scaphist

Smash Apprentice
Sorry to bump this back from the unknown but what I posted before DOES work. Footstooling is probably the most reliable set up for the bair trap. Landing the footstool in a real match may be tricky, but once you get it in, it's pretty much certain you will lock them. Also against what I said in my other post, it's better to be closer to the ground when you do this.

in the time it takes peach to do that your opponent would have already performed a Ukemi
I adamantly thought that it was impossible to tech a footstool, but after reading this I had to question whether this was true or not. So I tested it and failed to tech every single time(I definitely tech more often than not in real matches). I also asked if it was possible to tech a footstool in the simple questions and answers thread in the general brawl discussion in which someone replied that no, it isn't possible.

Here's the steps to:

1. footstool opponent while they're in the air(preferably lower to the ground than higher)
2. instantly float
*3/4. instantly cancel the float
*3/4. do a bair
5. Depending on how you come down, you will hit them with either the weak or strong part of the bair.

*steps 3 and 4 can be interchangeable. Sometimes it's better to start the bair while you're still floating. I also don't think fastfalls are necessary here but may be from a higher height.

If it's the weak part: Success! You have begun the lock.

If it's the strong part: One of two things will happen. You will likely just knock them away without them hitting the ground and there will be no way to lock from there. However, it's also possible for them to get knocked on the ground and it's possible to close in on them while they are doing the bouncing animation and start the lock but it may be possible for them to tech this.

The weak/sour falling bair is probably the prefered one do to it being much more reliable.

All of this only works 100% under the premise that it is indeed impossible to tech a footstool. So if it turns out MarcBuckley is right and I'm wrong(someones further clarification of this or a video demonstrating it's possibility would be pretty sweet) then this won't be nearly as useful but I still believe that it would be the best set up for the bair trap.

I tested most of this today in training mode, at low percents(usually 0%) against a Link. The strong bair way of doing this probably won't work well at higher percents. I also tested this against a player using MK (not a real match, just not in training) who says that after they were hit by the weak bair that they couldn't do anything and were stuck in the 'get up animation'(meaning this works to lock them).

One thing I haven't incorporated or thought about during this was DI, and whether it's possible to DI left or right from a footstool. Assuming that it's possible for your opponent to do this it shouldn't matter much if you footstool them relatively low to the ground(however it could mean the difference between a strong bair and a weak bair).

I think there should be more testing for this, but I don't think I'm the one who should do it. I'm thinking one of you more skilled Peach's who can already do the bair trap fairly consistently should try this out to determine if it's truly realistic. If it is, then I think the next step for Peach players will be to hopefully find good openings and ways to punish with a footstool.

Thanks for reading that gigantic post, and sorry if I was unclear with certain things.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Couldnt this turn into an infinite using the same principle as the Sheik/Squirtle one? If you find a reliable setup to a footstool, than you can do what was posted above except instead of going into the Bair trap, let them get-up allowing you to rinse and repeat. I would ask saviorslegacy about testing since he seems to be the expert on footstools at the moment.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
You mean start the bair lock from a footstool? You'd have to find a way to footstool someone out of a reliable attack, possibly grounded down air to footstool. It doesn't sound too feasible, but it doesn't hurt to experiment and see what we can come up with.

Still. the timing necessary to initiate a back air lock from a footstool is unreal considering people can DI a footstool to get left, right, or nowhere - bair's spacing has to be JUST right to set up the lock, so it could be real hard to follow that foostool DI.

Scaphist

Smash Apprentice
@ Bellios

I'm not sure what those infinites are like and how they're done(I'll look it up in a min) but I doubt it. The footstool only works if they're in the air and I don't think Peach has a way to get them into the air and immediately follow up with a footstool unlike Sheik who has her f-tilt.

Edit:

You mean start the bair lock from a footstool? You'd have to find a way to footstool someone out of a reliable attack, possibly grounded down air to footstool. It doesn't sound too feasible, but it doesn't hurt to experiment and see what we can come up with.

Still. the timing necessary to initiate a back air lock from a footstool is unreal considering people can DI a footstool to get left, right, or nowhere - bair's spacing has to be JUST right to set up the lock, so it could be real hard to follow that foostool DI.
Yeah, I guess you're right. Finding a way to go right into the footstool seems like it would be pretty difficult unless you can anticipate their jump. Also, are you positive even if at a level really close to the ground DI would make that big of a difference? If that's the case then this isn't nearly as reliable as I thought.

Edit again: Is it possible to go from dair to footstool?

gantrain05

Smash Master
every single time i try to do this, whenever i footstool them i bounce like freakin 100 feet in the air and my peach just WILL NOT stay close to the ground, its like she freakin super jumps.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Have you tried SH Footstooling?

Yes, there's a Fullhop and a Shorthop footstool.

Scaphist

Smash Apprentice
every single time i try to do this, whenever i footstool them i bounce like freakin 100 feet in the air and my peach just WILL NOT stay close to the ground, its like she freakin super jumps.
Are you floating instantly after the footstool and then ceasing the float instantly? The reason to do this is so you don't bounce way up and and you fall with your opponent. Or is it that you're just having trouble executing it?

Top Bottom