• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: Harry (from Teleroboxer)

Sinistar71

Smash Cadet
I'm all for Harry being added, unless a choice has to be made between him and Little Mac...

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Everyone prefers Little Mac over Harry - that's sort of a given. But still, Harry would be a great addition to the series and as much as they may want to forget the Virtual Boy, it's still a part of their history with many great games. They should at least to it for Gumpei Yokoi, as it was the last contribution he made to Nintendo...

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Virtual Boy is in the Japanese language version of Melee too :p It was removed from the English because it was such a huge flop in the US that Nintendo was way too embarassed to include it. But the Japanese I guess are still proud of it, despite it ALSO flopping over there...

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
That second pic looks like the guy who drew the official Zelda art drew it.

parrothead

Smash Lord
ON TOPIC: Was the Virtual Boy Nintendo's only console flop? If so, then they should not forget it until the next console flop.

OFF TOPIC:
That second pic looks like the guy who drew the official Zelda art drew it.
Which Zelda art?

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
VB was their only flop as far as I know. Some might be cynical and say Gamecube as well, but then again, those same people would've said the same during the N64's lifespan, and most people look back now and go "**** that was a good console," so meh :p

The thing is, NOA really really REALLY wants us to forget the Virtual Boy. They did allow Marth and Roy to stay in Melee, but would they go that other step ahead and bother to include someone like Harry? Or Dragon Hopper? Or Chalvo? (basically the only VB exclusive "heroes")

Actually, Chalvo would be a really cool addition... :laugh:

He's from a canned VB game, Bound High. Prolly the farthest along of all those that got the can.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
VB was their only flop as far as I know. Some might be cynical and say Gamecube as well, but then again, those same people would've said the same during the N64's lifespan, and most people look back now and go "**** that was a good console," so meh :p

The thing is, NOA really really REALLY wants us to forget the Virtual Boy. They did allow Marth and Roy to stay in Melee, but would they go that other step ahead and bother to include someone like Harry? Or Dragon Hopper? Or Chalvo? (basically the only VB exclusive "heroes")

Actually, Chalvo would be a really cool addition... :laugh:

He's from a canned VB game, Bound High. Prolly the farthest along of all those that got the can.
I barely planned to mention and post Chalvo and that picture, but I have a feeling that he will never appear at all, just like Fay and Miyu from Star Fox 2.

Perhaps the Dragon Hopper protagonist, Dorin the Dragon, is by far the farthest along all those that got the can.

Here are some information about Bound High.

And here are some information about Dragon Hopper.
Dorin and Chalvo look awesome. I'd really want one of them above Harry, but that's just me talking. Harry would still be awesome.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
neat. Is VB on the Virtual Console? then we could play those games. Probably not though.
Unless the Nintendo On is a reality, then no :laugh: Virtual Boy used stereoscopic vision, meaning stuff was literally 3D. It was AWESOME. Too bad it scarred your retinas and ruined your neck to play the stupid thing :embarrass

And parrothead, Dragon Hopper and Bound High were both the first of the 2nd gen VB titles, but Bound High was the closest to release. It was also the only one of the two that had the full-retail demo, the box art, the Nintendo Power preview, the actual copies of the final product made, etc. etc. When the VB capsized, they basically destroyed whatever they had. Just like Star Fox 2, though, it was literally days from release. Dragon Hopper was still a few months away.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
And probably other cancelled Nintendo titles were basically destroyed, like Kirby's Air Ride (the N64 version, not Kirby Air Ride for GCN), Kirby Tilt'N'Tumble 2, and N64 MOTHER 3/EarthBound 64.
Well.... yes and no. They still keep at least one copy in reserves, for whatever reason.

There's apparently betas of Zelda 3 for NES, Mario World 2 (NOT Yoshi's Island), Link's Awakening 2, Ocarina of Time for SNES, and Mario 64 2 floating around their departments somewhere.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I hope that Virtual Boy does make it on to the VC, maybe utilizing a cool visor peripheral... :laugh:
But maybe that way canned titles like Bound High and Dragon Hopper will finally see the light of day...

parrothead

Smash Lord
*BUMP*

I encountered a web page about the Virtual Boy and it's titles, and it said that Joy Mech Fight is the father of Teleroboxer. You might think that's wrong, because you think that Teleroboxer is a clone of the Punch-Out!! series, but Teleroboxer is a first-person boxing game, while the Punch-Out!! titles are third-person boxing games.

Click here and scroll down to the Teleroboxer/Joy Mech Fight paragraph.

Also, Harry (left) looks similar to Tiger from Joy Mech Fight (right):

parrothead

Smash Lord
yep consdering VB was a total failure lol, dont know why my friend had a VB and it was fun, not awesome but ok XD...
The redness made my eyes icth, but I enjoy the red and black graphics. I sure would like to see some things with Virtual Boy graphics.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I do hope the Virtual Boy eventually makes it on the Virtual Console somehow...

But as I said before, Harry best represents the VB, and as much as Nintendo may want to forget about it, they must acknowledge that it still had some great games - of which certainly should NOT be forgotten. Besides, while playing the Boxing portion of Wii Sports, two games came to mind: Punch-Out!! and Teleroboxer - both would make such awesome Wii titles...

Stryks

Smash Hero
I agree with deathborne, teleroboxer should return, with the wiimote it would be sick, anyway Im hopin he makes it but doubt it, sakurai likes retro characters but this guy aint that retro, also very few people know him, his chances are low, very low, still Id like to c him in...

parrothead

Smash Lord
Puting it on the Virtual Console wouldn't be bad at all, because:

* It wouldn't require any player to put their face up close.

* The redness wouldn't be as harmful as it would on the Virtual Boy itself. Nintendo can even put them in color.

However, Nintendo might not do it at all, because:

* The Virtual Boy is not only Nintendo's largest flop, but it is one of the largest flops (if not, the largest flop) in video game history.

* The Wii itself might not make it look the same way as it would look on the Virtual Boy itself.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
* The Virtual Boy is not only Nintendo's largest flop, but it is one of the largest flops (if not, the largest flop) in video game history.
You say the VB was worse than, say, Atari Jaguar or The Phillips Cd-i?

Either way if the VB makes it on or not (probably the later) on the VC, Harry FTW!

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Interestingly enough, Virtual Boy was featured in one of 9-Volt's minigames from Warioware: Smooth Moves, so it's not like Nintendo completely disowns the ill-fated gaming device. Who knows? We may very well see some VB games make a comeback. And while we're on the topic of Virtual Console support - WHERE THE HELL IS THE SEGA MASTER SYSTEM!? C'mon SEGA... it's like Nintendo holding out on the NES... OK maybe not, but still... I'd also like to see some Saturn and Dreamcast support - of course downloading games from those titles is no feasible, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to offer disk support... (It CAN be done - anyone remember bleemcast? Check it out here.)

At any rate, getting back on topic, Harry FTW!

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
^^ I can see Teleboxer working for the Wii, but not the DS...

At any rate, that guy is a bit of al dip**** - and probably a shameless SONY fanboy... (He probably didn't even play any of those platforms...) I wouldn't say the VB was bad by any means... Sure it fell short, but it had some very good games and alot of potential. Unfortunately, Nintendo decided to rush it to the market before all the kinks were worked out - namely the glare issues, which were very to being resolved just when they decided to jump the gun - and predestining its doom with an abysmal marketing strategy, especially with regard to it's price and positioning. What it did have was pretty good though - when the glare wasn't gettin to ya... And the 3DO was fairly admirable as well; it actually had quite a few good games released on it - though alot of them were eventually ported over to the Playstation... What killed it was the outrageous price point - it was the PS3 of it's generation, except it didn't have the installed user base to exploit like SONY has... I really wish 3DO and SEGA had played their cards better back in the 32-bit era - the industry would have been in much better shape now had SONY not been running the show for the past two generations... Never played the Jag or the CD-i, so I can't really give an opinion about those... But where's the platforms that ushered in the Video Game Crash, like the Atari 5200 or the Coleco ADAM? What about the Fairchild Channel F? This guy doesn't have a clue as to what he's talking about... (Woah... I went a little overboard there...) [/rant]

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
^^ I can see Teleboxer working for the Wii, but not the DS...

At any rate, that guy is a bit of al dip**** - and probably a shameless SONY fanboy... (He probably didn't even play any of those platforms...) I wouldn't say the VB was bad by any means... Sure it fell short, but it had some very good games and alot of potential. Unfortunately, Nintendo decided to rush it to the market before all the kinks were worked out - namely the glare issues, which were very to being resolved just when they decided to jump the gun - and predestining its doom with an abysmal marketing strategy, especially with regard to it's price and positioning. What it did have was pretty good though - when the glare wasn't gettin to ya... And the 3DO was fairly admirable as well; it actually had quite a few good games released on it - though alot of them were eventually ported over to the Playstation... What killed it was the outrageous price point - it was the PS3 of it's generation, except it didn't have the installed user base to exploit like SONY has... I really wish 3DO and SEGA had played their cards better back in the 32-bit era - the industry would have been in much better shape now had SONY not been running the show for the past two generations... Never played the Jag or the CD-i, so I can't really give an opinion about those... But where's the platforms that ushered in the Video Game Crash, like the Atari 5200 or the Coleco ADAM? What about the Fairchild Channel F? This guy doesn't have a clue as to what he's talking about... (Woah... I went a little overboard there...) [/rant]
A what? (you can PM me about that)

The Wii... you know, I really suck aqt the Boxing game in Wii Sports, I swear it's totoally whonked.

Top Bottom