• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Promestein

Smash Cadet
I wonder if Phantom Wings's new 100-character Clone Engine may be incorporated into Project M?

Shin F.

Smash Master
Ya know, real or not, all the leaks from the Smash 4 thread feel very underwhelming compared to this. The only one that compares is the Palutena leak, and even that doesn't quite touch this one, for me at least.

Sonicthesneak

Smash Ace
Ya know, real or not, all the leaks from the Smash 4 thread feel very underwhelming compared to this. The only one that compares is the Palutena leak, and even that doesn't quite touch this one, for me at least.
I seriously agree. I know people will just think I'm whining in some circles, but I am not hype to really play anyone confirmed for Smash 4 right now. And all the cool leaks that I did like have been already proven false. I am sad man. I know we have a long way to go, but is it wrong that my long faith in Nintendo has been shattered in the last year or so? :/

Bleck

Smash Master
Smash 4 has Mega Man. I don't really need anything else in the game.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Dunno why people are crying FAKE! when nothing revealed has been all that shocking.

Brawl doesn't have that much female representation, so Sami is probably in for that reason alone. She's not objectively any worse than Andy, and probably more interesting of a character design actually.

Sami is definitely legit putting aside the other info, denying it makes no sense from the evidence.

And I also find it odd that Sonic fans are acting like he has a roster of friends worth a damn. He really doesn't. They have all been flat and boring one way or another if you really want to get into it, even Tails at times. Knuckles has been seriously mistreated in the franchise and I hope he gets the redemption he deserves.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
The following post contains opinions and spoilers about things that may or may not be true regarding Project M.
I'm really, really, REALLY doubtful of these leaks.

Doesn't it seem awkward that everyone on the list of the leaked were people that have been referenced in this thread? Does the PMBR actually think like us or is someone merely using our votes to determine the contents of the leaks?

Let me try to pinpoint how the characters were chosen for this leaking method.

Lyn: She has one of the better amount of votes and allows for further female representation.
Issac : The most demanded at this point. Shows the PMBR is listening to its fans.
Knuckles : This shows the PMBR's integrity to go through with a decision despite having a ton of negative votes. It also makes it seem even more likely because the PMBR in the end make the final decisions, not the players. Adds a secret layer of credibility.
I have nothing to say for Sami and Skull kid.

To be honest, I'm not really hyped for this list anyways.

------------------------------------------
Now onto the OTHER leaks.

The leaked images may be legit. They contain alternative costumes and a screencap of a certain stage. Those leaks could be completely unrelated to the person that claimed to have found a list of leaked characters.

However, I looked through the archives and I don't think any PMBR member would say things like "We're watching you, ******." or announce that these indeed were leaks. However to add, they might of done the second thing, but once again that can't confirm or deny anything but the things that the build contained. From what I could see, the build does not contain any new characters but might contain the alt costumes and new stages.

Me personally, I think this was all orchestrated to cause some drama.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Actually, upon even further investigating, the build that was posted was just someone's custom build.

Graydient

Smash Cadet
Me personally, I think this was all orchestrated to cause some drama.
Perhaps a way to gauge fan reception incognito?

Anyways, how I see it:
Isaac - Okay
Sami - Sure?
Lyn - Mmm I think Roy is enough...
Knuckles - Umm, eeeh (not a big fan of Sonic though, so I'm biased)
Skull Kid - Uhh moveset? (I'm a fan of MM, and I just don't see it as a rational choice)

I haven't really spent much thought on potential forbidden 7 candidates. It's somewhat hard to find a good balance between:
-definitely not in Smash 4
-popular, generate hype
-viable moveset (source material, uniqueness)

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Besides, lets all get serious.

We know those leaks are fake because it's missing a certain :pichumelee:someone:pichumelee: in it's roster.
:colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful:

B.W.

Smash Champion
That's a good bet.

Also I have a fairly good reason as to why Sami might actually be a better contender than Andy other than the fact that she's portrayed as more of a fighter. Sami also has a role in the campaign of every Advance Wars game before Days of Ruin. Andy wasn't part of the story in Dual Strike, while Sami could still be considered one of the main characters.

MattNF

Smash Lord
There were other things leaked other than the new characters. A few alt costumes were leaked as well, with pics and animations.

Then again, anyone could have made those, there isn't any proof that it was the PMBR. But something to think about.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Something to think about is I wrote a pretty rad Sami movelist that most people will probably hate. I wanna draw it up before sharing though.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Interesting to say the least.
The only character I really wanted is Isaac, so everything gets a shrug from me and all I can say is "Good for them". Can't say I believe it, but things have been leaked before so I won't get emotional and flat out deny it.

The only one that I really don't get is Skull Kid, but eh.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
The fact that there isn't a Metroid rep in that list is odd.
Like tons of us have been saying from the start: This is a fan mod, they have no obligation to properly represent franchises. They could add nothing but F-Zero characters if they wanted to. If you want a roster based on representing things fairly look to Smash 4, not Project M.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Like tons of us have been saying from the start: This is a fan mod, they have no obligation to properly represent franchises. They could add nothing but F-Zero characters if they wanted to. If you want a roster based on representing things fairly look to Smash 4, not Project M.
This makes absolutely no sense.

As fans of the series, we care about series representation.

Perhaps even more so than Nintendo.

The PM:BR as much Nintendo fans, or at least Smash fans, as they are game modders. I highly doubt series representation is something they would ignore completely.

Besides, the whole fanbase wants Ridley to be in a Smash game by this point.

MLGF

Smash Lord
TBF, these are some pretty reasonable choices. We have a potential Snake clone, another Marth clone, the most requested character on the boards, an interesting potential sonic clone... and skull kid.

I'm sorry, but he just makes me raise an eyebrow to this.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Sonic characters won't happen. None of the 9 CEO Overlords want it, and they have final say. If that list is real it could only be a list of brainstormed ideas by various PMBR members. I'm surprised they'd even entertain a 3rd party character so it's most likely fake.

MasterScrub

M O N A D O B O Y S
NNID
MasterScrub
I think the choices make a lot of sense, if you think about it. None of those characters except MAYBE Isaac have a chance in hell of being playable in Smash 4 (in fact one of them is an Assist Trophy), so there won't be any chance of them putting thousands of hours into working on a character just to be unable to use them because they got put in Smash 4.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Knuckles? Seriously? He's by far the best pick for Sonic characters, but Sonic characters in general are not good picks. The rest of the list is alright I suppose, but giving Zelda another rep it doesn't need instead of cloning Samus and making Dark Samus?

Yeah, lol, I don't see that happening.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Strong Bad already canceled Skull Kid you guys, at least said so on Reddit.

Thank god for the leak then. :p

Also, do some of you guys really want a Samus clone? Why?

Only Ridley is a good pick from the Metroid Franchise and he has many technical problems I imagine.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Sonic characters won't happen. None of the 9 CEO Overlords want it, and they have final say. If that list is real it could only be a list of brainstormed ideas by various PMBR members. I'm surprised they'd even entertain a 3rd party character so it's most likely fake.
I'm not sure I would count him out that easily, besides, remember that leaked clone engine? And how it had Roy, Mewtwo, and Knuckles? And how P:M confirmed that it was theirs?
Game&Watcher brings up a good point, here. I remember that PMBR did once have a leaked version of the Clone Engine with Roy, Mewtwo and Knuckles added. If it weren't for this, I would agree with you, but it is some pretty convincing evidence. Combined with the Sami model and the fact that I have no trouble believing Skull Kid, Lyn and Isaac would be chosen, there's a chance the leak could very well be real.

MLGF

Smash Lord
After going through some info about the leak on the topic about this gamefaqs...this leak seems very real.
I'd post all the data here, but I don't want to be banned and I feel that could potentially happen.

Then again, if they do ban me then it proves that the leak is real.... huh.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Knuckles? Seriously? He's by far the best pick for Sonic characters, but Sonic characters in general are not good picks. The rest of the list is alright I suppose, but giving Zelda another rep it doesn't need instead of cloning Samus and making Dark Samus?

Yeah, lol, I don't see that happening.
Knuckles is the only bad choice among the five characters.

Isaac, Lyn, Skull Kid, and Sami are all fine. That Sami model is also damn good.

The only one that is missing that really deserves to be in is Ridley. Its a damn shame that Ridley will neither make it in for either Smash 4 or Project M.

Benjamin Franklin said there were two certainties in life: death and taxes. If he was around for 2014, there would be a third one: no playable Ridley in Smash Bros.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
I want Andy as a Sami clone. Same special attacks, but normal attacks use wrenches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom