• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spooky Skook

Smash Cadet
In my opinion, it all depends on the direction they want to take Project M. It's been gaining steam as it's own version of smash, so do they want to stay loyal to Melee or do they want to keep making Project M more unique.

cmart

Smash Lord
Well Pichu is a melee vet, sole reason I want him in. . . funny if some one suggested Pichu without him being in Melee i probably would have laughed
But you can't then claim you believe the slots should be spent on a One per Franchise basis. If you truly believed in series representation being fair you wouldn't support Pichu. That's all I'm pointing out.

@ Saito - Dressing ups his post does nothing to strengthen its hypocritical foundation.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
@ Saito - Dressing ups his post does nothing to strengthen its hypocritical foundation.
I apologize.
:laugh:
In my opinion, it all depends on the direction they want to take Project M. It's been gaining steam as it's own version of smash, so do they want to stay loyal to Melee or do they want to keep making Project M more unique.
I don't think them choosing Pichu or someone that hasn't been in smash really defines that.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
@ cmart cmart Hey I have a question that concerns programming limitations if you don't mind answering please. Is it at all possible to program an air dash that functions on an aerial tap (or double tap)? I guess the best example is an air dash that functions similar to BlazBlue's air dash.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
@ cmart cmart Hey I have a question that concerns programming limitations if you don't mind answering please. Is it at all possible to program an air dash that functions on an aerial tap (or double tap)? I guess the best example is an air dash that functions similar to BlazBlue's air dash.
I'm interested in that as well since Shadow happens to have an air dash in Sonic battle.

He also have lots of moves that would work well in smash. :colorful:

cmart

Smash Lord
@ Solbliminal Solbliminal I don't see anything that hasn't been solved with that idea, although I would forse getting the input just right to be a pain. The hard part would be the overall polish required to sell it as a legitimate move.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
@ Solbliminal Solbliminal I don't see anything that hasn't been solved with that idea, although I would forse getting the input just right to be a pain. The hard part would be the overall polish required to sell it as a legitimate move.
Well I'm speaking of a dash that mainly consists of two directions. Forwards and Backwards. With Mewtwo's moveset, a down tap initiates his hover. So can the same be done about a dash that functions like a non-damaging version of Fox or Falco's Side-B special? Or is the sensitivity required to execute the input that touchy?

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Nah, I was referring to my own thoughts about a double tap. It can all be done.
Oh, sorry about that. I guess a better question would be, how difficult is it to program? And I'm not really fond of the idea of a double tap myself. Personally I would be fine with a single tap, as long as it didn't pose as an issue for attack inputs.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Well, ideally, the air dash could be started with a single tap just like other fighting games by jumping forward and then hitting forward again in quick succession. In numpad notation 9-6. What everything would come down to for Ray, is if the inputs while grounded or in jump squat, came into the equation for his air dash.

Unfortunately, I think having his air dash simply be only a single press input would lead to a lot of input errors and make Ray players be completely dependent on the C-Stick for aerials.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
With Little Mac added in now, the only major long-running Nintendo franchises without a playable character in Smash Bros. are Mii, Golden Sun, and Advance Wars. As I brought up months ago, the person that leaked Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Mii prior to E3 also said that Little Mac, Mii, and Pac-Man were also going to be in.

Golden Sun and Advance Wars most likely won't have playable characters in Smash 4, so hopefully we get Isaac and Sami in Project M.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Well, ideally, the air dash could be started with a single tap just like other fighting games by jumping forward and then hitting forward again in quick succession. In numpad notation 9-6. What everything would come down to for Ray, is if the inputs while grounded or in jump squat, came into the equation for his air dash.

Unfortunately, I think having his air dash simply be only a single press input would lead to a lot of input errors and make Ray players be completely dependent on the C-Stick for aerials.
This is the kind of feed back I need. Thank you. Also, I'm watching various gameplay videos of Custom Robo to get a sense of balancing what captures the character, and what makes the character a unique addition to Project M. I'm making some progress.

Now another question if someone can answer. What are the 11 articles Snake has? I'm not completely familiar with how articles work, but knowing if they can be modified for projectile attacks is all I need to know to really solidify my concept.

With Little Mac added in now, the only major long-running Nintendo franchises without a playable character in Smash Bros. are Mii, Golden Sun, and Advance Wars. As I brought up months ago, the person that leaked Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Mii prior to E3 also said that Little Mac, Mii, and Pac-Man were also going to be in.

Golden Sun and Advance Wars most likely won't have playable characters in Smash 4, so hopefully we get Isaac and Sami in Project M.
Issac is pretty much the must have character for Project M, assuming we get any more characters at all. But as far as long running series goes, Custom Robo has 4 games. Even if that is only 2 over seas releases, it is still a decently long running series.

Shin F.

Smash Master
This is the kind of feed back I need. Thank you. Also, I'm watching various gameplay videos of Custom Robo to get a sense of balancing what captures the character, and what makes the character a unique addition to Project M. I'm making some progress.

Now another question if someone can answer. What are the 11 articles Snake has? I'm not completely familiar with how articles work, but knowing if they can be modified for projectile attacks is all I need to know to really solidify my concept.

Issac is pretty much the must have character for Project M, assuming we get any more characters at all. But as far as long running series goes, Custom Robo has 4 games. Even if that is only 2 over seas releases, it is still a decently long running series.
Dantarion has all the articles listed on his OpenSA website.

Snake's are as follows, according to that page:
00 Land Mine (Down Smash)

01 Missle Silo Thing (Up Smash)

02 Rocket Launcher (Side Smash)

03 Cypher

04 C4

05 C4 Detonator

06 Remote Control Missle (Side B)

07 Nikita

A Missle Launcher (Final Smash)

B Missle Shot (Final Smash)

D Grenade

The page does mention that articles used for FS sometimes freeze used outside of it, but there are usually notes accompanying each character for which that is the case, and there aren't any on Snake's.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Dantarion has all the articles listed on his OpenSA website.

Snake's are as follows, according to that page:
00 Land Mine (Down Smash)

01 Missle Silo Thing (Up Smash)

02 Rocket Launcher (Side Smash)

03 Cypher

04 C4

05 C4 Detonator

06 Remote Control Missle (Side B)

07 Nikita

A Missle Launcher (Final Smash)

B Missle Shot (Final Smash)

D Grenade

The page does mention that articles used for FS sometimes freeze used outside of it, but there are usually notes accompanying each character for which that is the case, and there aren't any on Snake's.
Lets see here.... Ray only needs one missile type attack... and one trap type attack which can be modified from the C4... maybe one or two melee weapon attacks...and the rest can be modified for various projectiles.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I'm really hoping for Pichu and Young Links cameos, maybe in stages.
I had this idea. Hear me out.
People want PM to have an original Battlefield. I was thinking various characters could appear in the background. Pichu and Yink would be obvious choices, but there could also be Andy if Sami gets in, the Smash 4 characters that can't get in, WHATEVER. I think this would give the currently bland looking Battlefield some pizazz.

Also I think we should discuss alt costume potential for added CECs. For some it's obvious, for some its not. If anything it'll be a break from flame wars and circlejerks.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
With Young Link i was thinkig something more dinamic, like, he would appear in the background of Great Bay -If somehow Great Bay returns (P:M version of a stage expansion?)- and then exploding Tingle's balloon by shooting an arrow or something.
I don't know how to dinamicaly incorporate Pichu, though.

Last edited:

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I still think the idea of 'reps' in PM is silly. If a character has gameplay potential they should go for it. Who cares if the result is 8 Pokemon or 7 Fire Emblem characters or 5 Big the Cats?

Ginge

Smash Ace
I still think the idea of 'reps' in PM is silly. If a character has gameplay potential they should go for it. Who cares if the result is 8 Pokemon or 7 Fire Emblem characters or 5 Big the Cats?
I hope you're kidding. We only NEED 4 Big The Cats. 5 is getting a bit selfish :p

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I know you're not being serious, but I think aesthetics play enough of a role that even 5 Big the Cats that played totally different in every way from one another would not be a popular choice.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
And I still think the idea of 'reps' in PM being silly is silly. This isn't just a typical fighting game. This is Super Smash Bros, one of the very first mashup fighters. You don't bring in characters because they have gameplay potential. You put in characters that are popular Nintendo mascots and make them work, regardless if that character even fought or had any semblance of "gameplay potential" in his/her original game. It doesn't matter if this is a mod, because we all know that this is a mod that has been trying to be professional and stay true to SSB.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
And I still think the idea of 'reps' in PM being silly is silly. This isn't just a typical fighting game. This is Super Smash Bros, one of the very first mashup fighters. You don't bring in characters because they have gameplay potential. You put in characters that are popular Nintendo mascots and make them work, regardless if that character even fought or had any semblance of "gameplay potential" in his/her original game. It doesn't matter if this is a mod, because we all know that this is a mod that has been trying to be professional and stay true to SSB.
pichu confirmed.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Well, I think we've completely exhausted all possible character choices that would be really popular.

Unless anyone else has a trick up their sleeve, that is.

Personally I'd like to just see people discuss how some characters could work if they haven't been already. Being a fan of how Samurai Goroh looks, I still don't know how he could play since I haven't played an F-Zero game yet.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I thought the leaked character list was disproven a couple pages back?

Did I miss something? Pichu might still be on the radar.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
It wasn't so much disproved as much as @Vigilante just sort of went, "Welp, that list may or may not be true, but I will say we have a list and nothing is final. I'm sorry we can't include 100 characters and we love you all, xoxoxoxo"

I may be paraphrasing

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It wasn't so much disproved as much as @Vigilante just sort of went, "Welp, that list may or may not be true, but I will say we have a list and nothing is final. I'm sorry we can't include 100 characters and we love you all, xoxoxoxo"

I may be paraphrasing
Huh. Well alright. I seem to remembering reading something along the lines of "We don't have a finalized list or even know if we'll use all the slots yet." so I took that to mean that any finalized list of 5 was probably incorrect.

That said, alot more proof was definitely given that Knuckles would be a safe choice for them, because third party characters are less likely to lead to C&D than others.

Still, myself (and literally all of my friends) are still hoping the list is true because of dat Skull Kid and Lyn action.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I know you're not being serious, but I think aesthetics play enough of a role that even 5 Big the Cats that played totally different in every way from one another would not be a popular choice.
Don't be absurd. They'd all play exactly the same.

Which is why we have 7 Pokemon characters and 4 Mario characters. Maybe you personally think representation should be taken into account, but there's no reason to believe the PMBR will pay any attention to it while deciding what would make their competitive game interesting.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Don't be absurd. They'd all play exactly the same.

Which is why we have 7 Pokemon characters and 4 Mario characters. Maybe you personally think representation should be taken into account, but there's no reason to believe the PMBR will pay any attention to it while deciding what would make their competitive game interesting.
The PMBR is going to do one of two things:

1. They're going to introduce 1-5 more characters that are both interesting and unique, as well as bring their own amount of fanservice to the game, while representing as many fan favorite characters as they can.

2. They won't add anything.

The PMBR wouldn't add a character that didn't have all of the above, because they're trying to make it as professional as possible. Perhaps this doesn't pertain to "representation" so much, but let's say for a minute they do decide to use the five characters from the "leak" list by some happenstance. Why wouldn't that be preferrable? They'd be able to do what you're asking, and what people who want representation and fanservice are asking. If they don't do that, I'm of the impression they'll add no one.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
We have 7 Pokemon because they split PT and then added Mewtwo, a character many wanted to return. And "four Mario characters," really? It's not like Mario is the most important franchise in Nintendo history or anything...

Spire

III
BRoomer
If Tingle was included, but represented by a Rupee icon for his spin-off series, he'd still be a Legend of Zelda character. Visually no, but canonically yes. Wario, Yoshi, and to a lesser degree Donkey Kong—and to an even lesser degree Diddy—are Super Mario characters.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
There's a dude on YouTube with a Solid Waluigi, but he replaced Pit with waluigi cause he doesn't know how to add characters like Project M, it's like nearly complete except for final smash, I think you guys should check him out, His channel is marioking64DS , trust me you won't be disappointed

Marthmario

Smash Lord
We just add Shadow. Just to stop the murmuring, he could be interesting if done right, but some people can't get over their own personal grudges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom