• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Even though no one really knows what Sakurai means by all of this, I think it's a huge mistake having a handheld Smash. I mean I'll still get it, but I think it's a huge mistake, especially the way he wants them to work together. However I can't see them going backwards from Brawl, how many games actually do things that way?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I was just playing some Melee this morning when I realized, they have got to do something to make Mario a less terrible character. I don't know what as of now, but I think FLUDD is the first thing to go. What could that be switched out for?

If there is going be less then 40 characters then I'm not going to get the game.
IF we got less than forty characters, I'm sure the game would be a revamp of the series and it would more or less probably rock.

I may be misunderstanding this, but... To me, it sounds like he's happy that he has decided to make a Smash Bros game for both the Wii U and 3DS simultaneously, because if he made a Wii U version first and did the 3DS version after, he'd have to cut a lot of content out for the 3DS version.... Which means, as some as of has feared, the 3DS is going to limit the amount of characters/stages/stuff in the Wii U version. :/
I will say this once more. The 3DS can handle all the characters, stages, and music the WiiU can throw at it. Stop being big babies. The game isn't even being made yet!

D

Deleted member

If there is going be less then 40 characters then I'm not going to get the game.
100% this.

Let's say that this is true and Sakurai is doing this for "balance" purposes. Even if we get a perfectly balanced game at less than 40 slots, I highly doubt I'm going to really enjoy the game much. 44 slots should not be hard to do on the Wii-U version and if they can't do that, they're making excuses. I don't want a 55+ slot roster with no balance, but I have at least some expectation for this game. A less than 40 slot roster would be a huge blow.

Sending this article to other sites now...

ssbowns

Smash Apprentice
New here hi. Just found this place and wanted to give my 2 cents. I trust the game will be otherwise amazing (if change is not too drastic) but there are always characters I'd like to see...

Nintendo:
- King K Krool really should appear. Heavy hitter tank like him would be awesome plus DKs need a nemesis too
- Ripley. The same thing. Samus needs an adversary and Ripley could be a great character
- Someone from Advance Wars. I don't really care about the series but it is so big it also deserves a spot (if Pikmin does). Maybe Andy
Other than that I don't think Nintendo has that many other heavy hitters who must get in.

3rd party if we follow the same pattern of 2:
- Gordon Freeman. Really he's so much like Snake but so different. I'd see so much potential with the crowbar, gravity gun and the rest.
- Rayman. Again so much like Sonic although way younger and still different. Crash Bandicoot and Spyro would be cool too if we could get the original Naughty Dog and Insomniac versions but fat chance. So Rayman swinging his fists and earcoptering around would be great, sans rabbits.

The rest:
- Megaman (I'd prefer Zero but yea). He's as classic Nintendo as Mario is since NES. So many cool moves to have.
- Bomberman. Another classic known mostly from Nintendo consoles. He can do practically anything with bombs from timebombs, throwing bombs, cluster bombs, mines. Get him!
- Big Daddy from Bioshock. Another welcome tank character who is an icon of this game generation. Cool Swarm, Shock and Security Bullseye plasmid powers plus a powerful rivet gun.... mmm. And a little sister yelling to his ear.
- Altair/Ezio. Honestly he'd be much like Marth, Roy and even Link but he could still be a great candidate. Throwing daggers, crossbows, pistol, hidden blade, great agility to jump around with and SSB are match made in heaven. Calling in a fleet of assassins would be cool too.
- Popeye. I was thinking what other old-school Nintendo character could appear playable and as much as I like Balloon Fighter or Pooyan I don't really see them working. But Popeye is a sailor that could work. Get him some spinach and hell will break loose.

I hope atleast one of the characters above gets included so we're making progress.

Oh and I agree we should get more characters (and not just 1 or 2, or get 10 new but lose 8 from previous game) but some sort of balance has to be kept. I'd say aiming for 45 sounds good. there aren't that many Nintendo characters I'd ask for anyways

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
100% this.

Let's say that this is true and Sakurai is doing this for "balance" purposes. Even if we get a perfectly balanced game at less than 40 slots, I highly doubt I'm going to really enjoy the game much. 44 slots should not be hard to do on the Wii-U version and if they can't do that, they're making excuses.

I would love that game. A game where balance is really the focus, huh. Sounds like a good idea. Add a comboing system of some sort, and some character revamps and we have ourselves an awesome game. I bet you I could make a roster with 40 characters that you would like.

brb.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
New here hi. Just found this place and wanted to give my 2 cents. I trust the game will be otherwise amazing (if change is not too drastic) but there are always characters I'd like to see...
That's nice and all but please read some of these posts before you post your character list so you can be more informed. For example, Popeye is not even a video game character so he is sure as hell not getting into Smash.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I dunno. I'd prefer Glugglug lagoon. As much as Pufftop is Starfy's home. The tropical lagoon is a much more iconic setting for Starfy. Plus it makes more sense for a starfish than a pit like world. Plus you could have Big Squiddy in the background using his tentacles as hazards. I think it would be awesome.
Starfy is not a starfish from the ocean. He isn't even a star from outer space. He is just a star-shaped creature who lives in the sky.

ssbowns

Smash Apprentice
That's nice and all but please read some of these posts before you post your character list so you can be more informed. For example, Popeye is not even a video game character so he is sure as hell not getting into Smash.
eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf3161wYpso yea he hasnt been in much and licensing him will be hard (but not as hard as Bugs, Mickey or Spiderman) but its not completely without its possibilities

ssbowns

Smash Apprentice
By "he's not a video game character" I don't mean he hasn't appeared in video games. I mean he didn't ORIGINATE from video games. There is a big difference.
before Brawl we thought Nintendo only uses Nintendo characters so there's no knowing what might happen.

but if Popeye doesnt get in then he doesn't. not like he has the most gameplay potential of the bunch

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I did post possible bosses, but maybe I should cover possible Adventure Mode enemies as well...

Goomba: In general, weak. It'll try to charge into players though.

Koopa Troopa: It too is a mere weakling. Players can also use its shell as a weapon.

Hammer Bros.: One of the stronger enemies, though not by much. It'll throw hammers at players to damage them. Fire Bro and Boomerang Bro variations also exist.

Dry Bones: Like with the Koopa Troopa, not a major threat. Some may throw bones, however. Although it has some stamina, when defeated, it merely recovers. However, an explosive move destroys it for good.

Boo: This ghoul normally covers its face, but will chase players who look away from it. It can't be harmed while hiding, so players would have to utilize backward aerials to take one out. Some Boos operate differently though.

Kritter: While stronger than Goombas and Koopas, Kritters are also not a serious threat, despite of their muscular build. Their stamina is a bit high though.

Tiki Goon: Like the Goombas, Tiki Goons are also quite weak. Almost any attack can defeat it.

Lizalfos: A stronger enemy, with a few nasty moves. Its stamina is also pretty high.

Stalfos: Like with the Dry Bones, Stalfos are also given the power to recover when defeated by basic moves. Explosive moves do defeat a Stalfos for good though.

Dynalfos: Even more dangerous and persistent than the Lizalfos. It has stronger defenses, requiring more attacks to defeat.

Scarfy: Normally, it'll stand still and not do anything, but it'll chase the player when his/her back is facing it. If damaged, it'll change form and relentlessly pursue the player until it explodes.

Pig King Statue: One of the very few invincible enemies. You can't do anything but run from it.

Eggplant Wizard: An Assist Trophy, and an enemy. The Eggplant Wizard will basically attack by throwing eggplants. If the player gets hit, he/she will be briefly turned into an eggplant, and be immobile (just like with Yoshi's Egg Lay). His stamina is low, fortunately.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I will say this once more. The 3DS can handle all the characters, stages, and music the WiiU can throw at it. Stop being big babies. The game isn't even being made yet!
That is quite a statement you threw out, but you have to ask yourself: Is the 3DS as powerful as the Wii-U? Processing power?

Since the Wii-U as we know it hasn't been released yet, you can't say for sure if the 3DS will be on par with the Wii-U, I believe the Wii-U will be much more superior than the 3DS in terms of handling data, plus you also have to consider the amount of data the 3DS will be able to hold against a Wii-U disc.

Dark Paladin X

Smash Journeyman
Here's my guess on what could happen. While the gameplay and rosters will be the same, each game will have an emphasis on something the other doesn't. As heavily implied, the 3DS version will likely be more single player oriented with character customization and possibly where Adventure Mode ala SSE will end up. The WiiU version will be able to boast better mutliplayer options, especially in the online area. In a sense, if you want the full Smash 4 experience (assuming you care about that), you want to play both versions.

And this is some WMG, but I think because of the technology differences, Smash 4 might not go for that "realistic" look (never cared a whole lot for it), but rather something more stylized. Look at SSF4 on consoles and 3DS which is highly stylized, but the down scaling in graphics doesn't affect it too much.
Also, another suggestion. Have two different sets of character rosters. I know many may get mad on this, but I think 3DS may not have the technology to include 50 characters. I suggest the roster in the 3DS to have about 35 Nintendo-only characters (or maybe throw Sonic in there for both 3DS and Wii U) while the Wii U version have 50 characters where 5-10 of them are third party. While many popular Nintendo characters like Mario, Link, Kirby, Pikachu etc. will be available in both versions, there are characters that are exclusive on each console (e.g. Little Mac, King K. Rool, and Saki for the 3DS version while some third party characters like Megaman, Ryu, Tails, and Snake in the Wii U version).

As for the stages, it will be the same scenario like characters. Have popular stages in both the Wii U and 3DS versions while also have stages exclusive to each console.

Since there cross-compatible with each other, I suggest that any achievements unlocked, custom stages, and high scores in 3DS can be transferred to the Wii U version and vice versa. For instance, let's say you completed the Story Mode in the hardest difficult in the Wii U version and you unlocked an achievement and you don't want to unlock it again in 3DS version. With an internet connection and a special code in the save file in the 3DS version, you can transfer that said achievement to the 3DS version. This goes for the same for any high scores and custom stages you made (assuming if the later have enough space for the 3Ds version).

I also agree that KumaOso that you want play both versions if you want the full Smash 4 experience, so I suggest having both the Wii U and 3DS versions packed into one. Much like buying two different versions of one game in a same product.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That is quite a statement you threw out, but you have to ask yourself: Is the 3DS as powerful as the Wii-U? Processing power?

Since the Wii-U as we know it hasn't been released yet, you can't say for sure if the 3DS will be on par with the Wii-U, I believe the Wii-U will be much more superior than the 3DS in terms of handling data, plus you also have to consider the amount of data the 3DS will be able to hold against a Wii-U disc.
Here's the thing though, especially with graphics, there will be less data to worry about because of a smaller resolution to display on AND that there are fewer polygons per model so it's quite likely that even on the 3DS the game will play at 60 FPS just like the last Smash games have.

100% this.

Let's say that this is true and Sakurai is doing this for "balance" purposes. Even if we get a perfectly balanced game at less than 40 slots, I highly doubt I'm going to really enjoy the game much. 44 slots should not be hard to do on the Wii-U version and if they can't do that, they're making excuses. I don't want a 55+ slot roster with no balance, but I have at least some expectation for this game. A less than 40 slot roster would be a huge blow.

Stop worrying about the roster size. If they all suck or the game just sucks, it's a game that's just filled with fanservice, no promising gameplay.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
before Brawl we thought Nintendo only uses Nintendo characters so there's no knowing what might happen.

but if Popeye doesnt get in then he doesn't. not like he has the most gameplay potential of the bunch
Now we have..... someone..... actually..... pushing for...... Popeye............... the sailor.................. I have officially seen everything and this thread is now madness. Or whatever the opposite of diamonds is...

Also, as far as Starfy goes, he may not be TECHNICALLY a starfish, that is simply the Japanese being weird. His thing is undersea adventures and he was originally planned on being a starfish so I think it would better capture the series to have an aquatic level. Besides, in The Legendary Starfy, Starfy isn't even playable in Pufftop.

OmegaXXII

I did post possible bosses, but maybe I should cover possible Adventure Mode enemies as well...

Boo: This ghoul normally covers its face, but will chase players who look away from it. It can't be harmed while hiding, so players would have to utilize backward aerials to take one out. Some Boos operate differently though.

Kritter: While stronger than Goombas and Koopas, Kritters are also not a serious threat, despite of their muscular build. Their stamina is a bit high though.

Tiki Goon: Like the Goombas, Tiki Goons are also quite weak. Almost any attack can defeat it.

Lizalfos: A stronger enemy, with a few nasty moves. Its stamina is also pretty high.

Stalfos: Like with the Dry Bones, Stalfos are also given the power to recover when defeated by basic moves. Explosive moves do defeat a Stalfos for good though.

Dynalfos: Even more dangerous and persistent than the Lizalfos. It has stronger defenses, requiring more attacks to defeat.

Scarfy: Normally, it'll stand still and not do anything, but it'll chase the player when his/her back is facing it. If damaged, it'll change form and relentlessly pursue the player until it explodes.

Pig King Statue: One of the very few invincible enemies. You can't do anything but run from it.

Eggplant Wizard: An Assist Trophy, and an enemy. The Eggplant Wizard will basically attack by throwing eggplants. If the player gets hit, he/she will be briefly turned into an eggplant, and be immobile (just like with Yoshi's Egg Lay). His stamina is low, fortunately.

I love these ideas, In particular Scarfy and Lizalfos, they would make such terrific enemies on top of the SSE generic enimies that already appear, I excluded the Mario ones since they are obviously always used in every Mario based game.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I still think we will see a SSE-style in WII U, although I agree the 3DS version will be more 1P focused than WiiU. I wouldn't be surprised if, maybe, there is a "connected" SSE between 3DS and Wii U. Each one will only show some of the story, and to get the full picture and face the super-ultimate-final boss you'd have to finish both.

BTW (not sure if this has already been mentioned because this thread grows by three pages every time I leave) I saw that 1UP has something on SSB about a Famitsu column Sakurai wrote. Haven't looked at it yet to see if anything new is there, but I'm sure we will dissect, interpret, second-guess and predict everything based on it.

OmegaXXII

Here's the thing though, especially with graphics, there will be less data to worry about because of a smaller resolution to display on AND that there are fewer polygons per model so it's quite likely that even on the 3DS the game will play at 60 FPS just like the last Smash games have.
Maybe so, but even with the polygon count being low, I feel the 3DS version will lack content the the Wii-U would otherwise handle easily such as music for example, unless of course the music format is degraded.

Even if it is able to handle it smoothly with up to 60 characters, there will
obviously be differences in terms of content.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Maybe so, but even with the polygon count being low, I feel the 3DS version will lack content the the Wii-U would otherwise handle easily such as music for example, unless of course the music format is degraded.

Even if it is able to handle it smoothly with up to 60 characters, there will
obviously be differences in terms of content.
Music shouldn't be a concern. SSBB was 8.5 gigs with most of it being Subpar Emmisary custscenes and the 3DS version of Snake Eater is looking to be around that size, if not greater.

Steam

Smash Hero
Now we have..... someone..... actually..... pushing for...... Popeye............... the sailor.................. I have officially seen everything and this thread is now madness. Or whatever the opposite of diamonds is...
welcome to why I don't post here anymore. it's just a fan fap thread. no logic exists here

OmegaXXII

He's the big villain in Skyward Sword... I'm pretty sure he's going to be playable.
He may be the newest badboy on the block, but I honestly don't expect to see two villains from the Zelda Franchise, Ganondorf is good enough, besides if they make the SSE he could be a boss there BUT not playable.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
Did you guys know Nintendo's first arcade game was Popeye?
...it wasn't.

Miyamato wanted to make a game about Popeye, but he eventually had to make Donkey Kong instead - they couldn't use Popeye.
http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/nsmb/vol1_page1.jsp

edit: not that DK is their first arcade game, because it isn't too. Just wanted to point out that there WAS a link between Nintendo and Popeye. it doesn't mean we'll be having Popeye in Smash 4, tho.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Okay, but now, back to topic. Let's talk more about the games themselves. The roster talk shall not be discussed until it is logical, doesn't go into an argument, etc.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
He's the big villain in Skyward Sword...
Going a bit off topic, but we have no idea if he will be the "big villain". It is a Zelda tradition to have one villain be revealed to not be as important as they seem. See: Link to a Past (Agahnim? No, GANON!), Twilight Princess (Zant? No... GANON!), Oracle of Seasons/Ages (final boss: Ganon), Majora's Mask (Skull Kid? No, it's the mask he wears), 4Swords Adventure (Vaati? No.. GANON!).

Of course, Ganon shouldn't be around, since Skyward Sword is a prequel to his Origin Story (OOT), but that still doesn't rule out Ghirahim being merely a pawn or minion to somebody else.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Going a bit off topic, but we have no idea if he will be the "big villain". It is a Zelda tradition to have one villain be revealed to not be as important as they seem. See: Link to a Past (Agahnim? No, GANON!), Twilight Princess (Zant? No... GANON!), Oracle of Seasons/Ages (final boss: Ganon), Majora's Mask (Skull Kid? No, it's the mask he wears), 4Swords Adventure (Vaati? No.. GANON!).

Of course, Ganon shouldn't be around, since Skyward Sword is a prequel to his Origin Story (OOT), but that still doesn't rule out Ghirahim being merely a pawn or minion to somebody else.
I was kind of wondering about Skyward Sword's timeline at one point.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I was kind of wondering about Skyward Sword's timeline at one point.
[collapse= Spoilers for those who aren't following the Skyward Sword hype at all]
Skyward Sword is meant to be the very first Zelda game chronologically, before everything else. It will reportedly be the "origin story" of the Master Sword and possibly the Kingdom of Hyrule itself [/collapse]

refugee

Smash Journeyman

The difference between the inclusion of 3rd party characters and the would be inclusion of cartoon characters is that Sakurai didn't say the former couldn't happen while he did say the latter would bar a character from being included in the game. Please stop this stupidity now before you lose any respect you have here.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Ghirahim isn't confirmed to be the big bad of Skyward Sword. We could easily have another Zant on our hands. And speaking of Zant, he wasn't playable in Brawl. Neither was Midna, who had a very large role in that game. As of now, I don't think any one shot villains from the Zelda series have very high chances of getting in.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom