• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Okay guys! Here's my quick Lip-moveset. I mark origins and references as "O".

Lip

Bio: From Nintendo's long-running puzzle series Panel De Pon, known as Puzzle League outside of Japan, Lip is Fairy Of Flowers, who appears as the main mascot of the series.

Back in the peaceful days when she lived in her homeland Popples, the Devil King Thanatos had casted a spell all over the Popples's kingdom, affecting the residents of the land and causing fighting amongst the fairies. Lip was luckily unaffected due to her magic stick.
Lip then had to defeat each of her fairy friends to return their personalities to normal, by facing off them in fairies' favorite game called Panepon. After breaking every spell from her friends, she proceeded to face off against Thanatos.

Lip hasn't much appeared these days aside from things referring to her in SSB but she made a secret appearance in Planet Puzzle League. Recently she's also been found having developed role in Skip's action adventure game Captain Rainbow.

Personality-wise she's optimistic and little tomboyish: she has very good confidence on herself. This might be little problematic for her: despite her confidence she's not sure of herself and her destiny as a new queen.As seen from her appearances The Fairy Of Flowers has a lot of charm.

Appearances:
Panel De Pon (1994)
Planet Puzzle League (2007)
Captain Rainbow (2008)

Statistics:

Size: 4/10(Her size is same slighly same as Diddy's.)
Power: 4/10
Speed:5/10
Jump:8/10

- Overview -

- Lip's primary weapon is her flower magic which utilisizes flowers and other natural plantlife as it's inspiration. For stronger attacks, she uses her stick.
Shortly she'll be a mix of Ivysaur and Zelda, except replacing leaf powers with flower magic.

-She's very light, considering she's a fairy: in fact, she can actually "skip" on the air three times. This gives her 3 midair jumps.

-Along the battle, Lip tends to emit and drop flower petals to the ground, much like Pit losing his feathers. This also happens when she's knocked far away.

Character Animations

Entrance: Rainbow comes from the other side of the screen. Lip runs down from it jumps off to the stage and quickly opens her stick raised, saying "Ikuso!" while looking at the camera. This then switches to her ildle animation.

Stance: she rocks her body carefreely, while smiling. Surely, the Smash World isn't a stressful place for a fairy which has competed in her own puzzle game.

O:See her sprite in Vs Mode of PDP. This is also referred to her usual stance when you talk to her in Captain Rainbow.

Idle Animations:

- After some she'll hop up from the ground and starts to float for few seconds.To give you the idea, she's attempting to float like Mewtwo from Melee.

After two seconds when she confidently tries to keep herself on the air, she suddenly loses control and falls down clumsily. Lip quickly gets up back to her usual stance.

O: Her floatiness is inspired by how she tends to make funny flips and stances occasionally in Captain Rainbow, somewhat.

- Occassionally she'll groom herself, but suddenly she sees how flowers start to grow around her. She crouches down and looks at them. Then she hugs them. Aww.

Special Moves

B: Fairy Seed

Lip throws out a colored seed. (These come in six colors, red, green, cyan, violet and blue) If it latches on an opponent, they're "marked", as the seed stays on them. Pressing B again makes her throw another same-colored seed. Lip can latch three seeds on her enemies, though the opponent can be shake off the seeds.

The catch here though is not to throw seeds on the opponents only. If the opponent is "seeded" and Lip presses B while near him, she starts to bat the opponent tactically with her stick, dealing quick damage. The seeds grow by every hit of the stick, in three phases: it starts from Lip's thrown seed, becomes a sprout, then stem, and finally blooms into a flower.
If Lip hits the flower, it explodes, which has decent to semi-high knockback, depending on the how man seeds yóu've planted on your enemy, or the seeds' type.
The more seeds you've planted, the more longer you can continue your attack, Lip grows only one seed at time (shortly it means if you planted two seeds, you can attack six times.

Different kind of seeds (and thus flowers) do different kind of status effects while attacking. ( I take these from .joel now from MYM 3)

1.Green Seed. (Represents Green Circle Block from PDP, appears 40% of the time) No status effect, flower is something ordinary. damage: 2% per hit, no knockback.

2. Yellow Seed (Represents Yellow Star Block from PDP, appears 40% of the time) - Flower might be a daisy or a sunflower? Spark element, 2-3%. per hit.

3. Red Seed (Red Heart Block, appears 30% of the time) Fiery, effect, would be fiery flower, to codify this we might put in a Fire Flower as the growing flower. 4-6% per hit.

4.Purple Seed (Purple Diamond Block, appears 20% of the time) - Dark element, poisons, damage: 8-9 per knockback.
A poisoned, or disturbing-looking flower.

5. Cyan Seed (Cyan Triangle Block, appears 10% of the time), Icy effect, 10%-12% per hit. Enemies are frozen for quick period if the flower is exploded. A shardy flower.

6. Blue Seed (Blue Upside Down Triangle, appears 10% of the time), 13%-15 per hit, fiery explosion occurs if you explode the flower, with a huge knockback.

The effective way to use this, is to throw in decent amounts of seed depending on your skill. You must also press the button quickly to deal the damage and the carry the combo to the end.

When you hit the enemy with a seed on it, a combo marker (from PDP) shows your current hits as the combo. Say, if you land six hits (by planting two seeds on your enemy), you get a 6x combo with a fanfare.

O: I had to think a for a long time until I came up with an unique way to give her a great alternative that translates the combo system of Panel De Pon, while keeping her incharacter and making use of her powers. This took me sometime to write out thoughtfully.

Side B: Quick Swap

Lip waves her wand quickly, and suddenly, a luminent dome-like lines making a shape of "cursor" from Puzzle League-games appears around Lip and in front of her, and quickly ( swaps the position of Lip and her target. Can be used one opponent or projectiles.This is usable as a counter attack or dodge maneuver similar to Mario's Cape, as well potential projectile reflector. This won't deal any damage though.

Up B: Watabou

The floating, fluffy balloon-like creature in which Lip is holding on in title screen for Panel de Pon appears to aid Lip. When you do Up-B, Watabou appears from underneath Lip and she holds it, while drifting upward signifantly. Watabou though can't carry Lip long: it acts like a cotton flower, which is first taken with a windy breeze, then losing it after a moment, so it has to descend on the ground.

When used on the ground, Lip is does the same, but the enemies near her are damaged by Watabou rapdily (like in Peach's Parasol) and at the top height of attack's range, the creature explodes into fluff of cotton! This deals decent knockback (This is intended to refer at Dr.Mario's Super Jump Punch.)

Down B: Garbage Block:

This is a chargaeble attack. Lip builds in magical power (which can be charged 4 seconds), and when you release the button, she shouts "Ikuso! while waving her stick.
Suddenly her garbage block will rain down on front of her. Lip takes a second to this attack and then become controllable again.

A regular, small block does 15% damage. However, Lip can summon bigger, and if being lucky (20-10% prosent at time), multiple junk blocks as she gets more damaged.

Final Smash: Walk On Rainbow

(I suggest you take a look at the O-part of this move)

Lip will create a rainbow above her, (about a width of that of Battlefield) which goes above the stage. She'll then run on top of it.

Now you get a another screen which lets you play Puzzle League! Score combos and chains!

After seven-second play. Lip will unleash a hugeflower spell that spreads across the stage, the range depends on your score. Everyone gets a flower on their head, which deals a lot of rapidfire damage. The flowers are hard to remove. Along with it Lip fills the stage in flowers of all kind as a temporary decoration.
When the FS is done, Lip can as well as knock out her opponents out.

To give this move a catch so it will not be overpowered, her attack isn't very effective if it's used on the ground, because the range of flower spell will be quite small, even if you score very well done chains and combos. Her flower spell gets more range the more she's above the ground. So try use this at much high as you can! That will ensure your success.

O: I'm kinda dumbfounded by the fact that everyone thinks her final smash should consist her using panels and junk block to attack her opponent.

But in Captain Rainbow she was able to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sIF9CrA2Rg&feature=player_detailpage#t=304s

IMO this kind of magic spell as her final smash is more incharacter for her, besides Lip has always ran on rainbows during PDP: this has been referred on Captain Rainbow where she has a drawing on her room depicting herself on a rainbow.

Taunts:

- Lip throws her fist in the air and says "Yatta!" (Might be localised as I did it/Yeah!)

O: Refers to her sprite from her stage in PDP when in one-player.

-Lip takes a flower and smells it. Suddenly she makes a powerful sneeze, blowing off the petals of that poor flower.
The sneeze can push her opponents a bit.

O: According to Captain Rainbow she has developed an allergy for flowers. This would make her humorous, seeing as she's ironically a Fairy of Flowers.*

- Lip floats up, while enveloped by gust that spins around her while carrying petals around.

O: Might be inspired by Lip's backdrop art from PDP which also had petals flying around her.

Incredible moveset! It's just Perfect! Your moveset idea >>> mine. I loved the air-skipping, and the seed gimmick will make her unique. I hadn't even thought about the cloud from the title screen. That was pretty creative.

I hope Lip gets in with this moveset. Funny Final Smash too.

My sig may have run out of space, but here's proof that I support her. :D

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
A Virtual Boy stage. XD

Everything is neon-red with black background.

A poke-floats type stage with all systems, consoles and handhelds.
I also been suggesting the same thing, it could work the same way as PokeFloats but with all the systems instead, systems like Wii, Game Boy Color, NES, N64, DS Lite would appear on stage and the players would be moving on stage while the sstems rotate around the stage, it would definetly be a fun idea.

@YoungHorsetail:I like that Lip idea, I don't know much about her but she seems like an important retro who would definetly fit in Smash, plus a female character is always a good thing.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm so glad this moveset's quite appreciated.
Thanks so much shinhed-echi and and OmegaXVII! I'd wish they would give her this kind of moveset too. (-lwl-)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
The puzzle genre needs some representantives. Not to mention intimidating your opponents with falling blocks would be great.

I'd love it if you could stack up a good ammount of blocks before they start disappearing... Or heck, they only disappear if somebody hits them. So Lip could form barriers of blocks to protect her from projectiles, or as setups "against-the-wall" combos. :D

There's just so much potential with this character.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
The puzzle genre needs some representantives. Not to mention intimidating your opponents with falling blocks would be great.

I'd love it if you could stack up a good ammount of blocks before they start disappearing... Or heck, they only disappear if somebody hits them. So Lip could form barriers of blocks to protect her from projectiles, or as setups "against-the-wall" combos. :D

There's just so much potential with this character.
Maybe. That might give this move some uniqueness... I don't to be overpowered though.

But maybe it would prevent it to be overpowered, as well as give it some other uses.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Wow I never thought Lip could offer so much uniqueness to Smash, so much potential and style, I love it.

I definetly approve of her, what about a stage? I'm guessing she would have one based of her original game?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
My idea for her stage would have players be taken to the Lip's friend's lands by the trails of rainbow. (Transition might be a mix of Mushroomy Kingdom and Delfino Plaza)

Lip's fairy friends would appear in their respective stages, maybe attacking the players time to time.
The last setting would be the Mountain of Wickedness/Death Mountain (Not The LOZ-one), where Thanatos would appear. Then after the mountain breaks down, you must escape to the rainbow again leading back to Lip's stage, like in the credits of Panel De Pon and Tetris Attack.

I actually had a theory that Green Greens in Melee was supposed to be a Panel De Pon-stage, with panels dropping down instead of star blocks as to representate the two player mode from Panel De Pon, and even that rainbow coming from nowhere leading to that stage maybe representing the rainbow trails Lip had to travel on Panel De Pon.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Tourney stage style, I would say in her homeland, that might look like Green Greens kinda. Or, if there's a gimmicky stage, characters could fight INSIDE the puzzle game. (Originally, this was my idea of her Final Smash, trapping all characters inside the Panel de Pon game itself, and the player controlling Lip would control the falling blocks to KO them by squashing them, like they would if they were squashed in SSE).

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Would Kirby still have a garbage block for his down B if Lip was still in. :s

I've heard people it should go for that, but really I don't see a reason

Also kudos Young Horsetail, that's a really damn good post and moveset. Needs more puzzle as a final smash tho :p

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
That would work out. (-lwl-) Let her friends join as the hazards.

Also kudos Young Horsetail, that's a really damn good post and moveset. Needs more puzzle as a final smash tho :p
Thank you very much! I added though in the idea of enabling a Puzzle League-screen for the player in the Final Smash, which affects the power and range of the spell.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
[COLLAPSE="Starphoenix's Starfy stage idea"][/COLLAPSE]

That's nice and all but I have actually played The Legendary Starfy. I would suggest a stage called Pufftop, it is Starfy's home in the games and it is a flooded castle on the clodus in the sky. The castle has water currents that can take us outside and down the waterfalls. Throw in some elements from Skydye Heights (the sky-themed world in the DS game) such as winds that occasionally blow upward (similar to the Flying-type phase of Pokemon Stadium 2 in Brawl) and rainbows that appear and disappear... we can swim in the rainbows like we already do in Pirate Ship and Delfino Plaza. For some creative liberty, some of the clouds that we walk on have pools of water might make you fall through the cloud and down the waterfall if you stand on them for too long (almost like the clouds on Yoshi's Island in SSB 64).
I dunno. I'd prefer Glugglug lagoon. As much as Pufftop is Starfy's home. The tropical lagoon is a much more iconic setting for Starfy. Plus it makes more sense for a starfish than a pit like world. Plus you could have Big Squiddy in the background using his tentacles as hazards. I think it would be awesome.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I've been scratching my head lately and I came up with new moveset for Ike....

B-Side : It's the same as his move currently on brawl but when fully charged it will have an extra effect...once it hits the target Ike can do 3 hits combo by rapidly pressing be or he can use Aether to recover.

B- Up : AETHER!!! but it will have a slightly bigger horizontal range.

B- Down : Someone suggested this and i will put it again , instead of counter Ike can use Nihil which eleminate any special move that is done against him.

Normal-B : it's a chargeable sword beam the more it's charged the stronger its and the longer distance it travels.

Ike will need to be toned down in strength and need to be toned up in speed.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Hey guys, new interview from Sakurai... And one of the things he says kinda scares me.

Sakurai said:
If we went solely for the Wii U, the HD graphics would really bump up the visual effects, but then we'd be stuck in another arms race. If we made this game another extension over previous one, we'd have to cut out the new things we could possibly do on the 3DS hardware and compete with ourselves again over the size of the character roster and the amount of gameplay we can put it. It wouldn't be a fruitful competition, but doing something completely new would be difficult for many reasons, not least of which that the gamers may not be satisfied with it. That's why we decided to think about ways to link the personal connection one has with his portable system to the gather-around-and-play aspect of console systems.
http://www.1up.com/news/don-expect-smash-bros-anytime

I may be misunderstanding this, but... To me, it sounds like he's happy that he has decided to make a Smash Bros game for both the Wii U and 3DS simultaneously, because if he made a Wii U version first and did the 3DS version after, he'd have to cut a lot of content out for the 3DS version.... Which means, as some as of has feared, the 3DS is going to limit the amount of characters/stages/stuff in the Wii U version. :/

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I dunno. I'd prefer Glugglug lagoon. As much as Pufftop is Starfy's home. The tropical lagoon is a much more iconic setting for Starfy. Plus it makes more sense for a starfish than a pit like world. Plus you could have Big Squiddy in the background using his tentacles as hazards. I think it would be awesome.

Wholeheartedly seconding with this. The game's are marine platformers, so it must be something tropical.

Pit can keep the sky, while Starfy keeps the sea. The space belongs to Fox, Mario again has plains. Kirby has greens,PKMN get a stadium, Peach has a castle...

I think ya know what I'm meaning.

Colaya: So Sakurai must get familiar with Wii U as well. This will take LONG time. But yeah, 3DS might be limited, or in most worst cases, MUCH different game.

Though if the idea of using on personal things and try to utilise it with Wii U if they try to find a way for it.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Wholeheartedly seconding with this. The game's are marine platformers, so it must be something tropical.

Pit can keep the sky, while Starfy keeps the sea. The space belongs to Fox, Mario again has plains. Kirby has greens,PKMN get a stadium, Peach has a castle...

I think ya know what I'm meaning.
And Mike Jones rules the beach. ::cool:
Little Mac reigns in the ring.
And Takamaru has feudal japan.

HariKyuubi

Smash Journeyman
Isaac, Saki and Lip are some at the top of the list for me. :p

On another note, alternate costumes for more than just Wario would be cool. Not necessarily EVERY character would need one, but I think having alternate appearances that play exactly the same would be a neat aesthetic effect. It would also be a good excuse to bring back a few past chars without really bringing them back. >.>;; Like, say, a few examples I can think of:

Mario/Dr. Mario
Peach/Daisy or Rosalina
Yoshi/Boshi ala SMRPG (Not gonna happen, but I can dream!)
Toon Link/Outset or Conductor Link
Olimar/Louie
Pikachu/Pichu
Pokemon Trainer/Female Trainer (I want Leaf! :p)
Lucas/Claus

And so on. 'Course, they should be close enough not to affect anything major, like hitboxes/hurtboxes, but it would also help to tone down the number of clone characters this time around. Thoughts?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hey guys, new interview from Sakurai... And one of the things he says kinda scares me.

http://www.1up.com/news/don-expect-smash-bros-anytime

I may be misunderstanding this, but... To me, it sounds like he's happy that he has decided to make a Smash Bros game for both the Wii U and 3DS simultaneously, because if he made a Wii U version first and did the 3DS version after, he'd have to cut a lot of content out for the 3DS version.... Which means, as some as of has feared, the 3DS is going to limit the amount of characters/stages/stuff in the Wii U version. :/
What the 3DS has that the Wii U doesn't. = 3D. Just that.

I was never actually too happy with the next Smash Bros game revealed for 3DS because that seems like they're going to keep the ammount of content at exactly the same ammount for both systems.

I REALLY hope Sakurai knows what he's doing after knowing what he just got into.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Colaya: So Sakurai must get familiar with Wii U as well. This will take LONG time. But yeah, 3DS might be limited, or in most worst cases, MUCH different game.
No see, this is exactly what I just said Sakurai DIDN'T want to do. He doesn't want to have to cut stuff from the 3DS version, so I take it that he is going to limit the amount of characters/stages that he could put in the Wii U version.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
No see, this is exactly what I just said Sakurai DIDN'T want to do. He doesn't want to have to cut stuff from the 3DS version, so I take it that he is going to limit the amount of characters/stages that he could put in the Wii U version.
Now that you said it, it seems quite bad... but don't worry, maybe it will change soon.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Are you sure that's what he meant? I read it as if the 3DS version was just another Brawl then it would need a large roster to be good but because he is going to make I like really different, the roster size for the 3DS doesn't matter. At least I hope that's what it means. I can't fathom a Smash Bros sequel with a small roster...

•Col•

Smash Champion
Now that you said it, it seems quite bad... but don't worry, maybe it will change soon.
It's not going to change. Sakurai just specifically stated his reasoning for wanting to do both the Wii U and 3DS Smash Bros game at the same time.

I just really hope we're misunderstanding....

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I highly doubt the roster size and who's in will be affect by this. Rather, certain things might get cut, like an extra mode or whatever, but gameplay should remain unaffected.

HariKyuubi

Smash Journeyman
It's not going to change. Sakurai just specifically stated his reasoning for wanting to do both the Wii U and 3DS Smash Bros game at the same time.

I just really hope we're misunderstanding....
Yeah, this doesn't look too good. :( Though, I think I remember hearing that Sakurai doesn't want to let either version compromise the other, so hopefully he'll try hard to prevent that. How large can 3DS cartridge sizes get, anyway? Brawl used a dual-layered disc, so maybe they'll use something abnormally large to fit all the data in this too...

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
I've been scratching my head lately and I came up with new moveset for Ike....

B-Side : It's the same as his move currently on brawl but when fully charged it will have an extra effect...once it hits the target Ike can do 3 hits combo by rapidly pressing be or he can use Aether to recover.

B- Up : AETHER!!! but it will have a slightly bigger horizontal range.

B- Down : Someone suggested this and i will put it again , instead of counter Ike can use Nihil which eleminate any special move that is done against him.

Normal-B : it's a chargeable sword beam the more it's charged the stronger its and the longer distance it travels.

Ike will need to be toned down in strength and need to be toned up in speed.
He totally needs to be toned up in speed. Hell, that was his highest stat in his games, it's ridiculous that they made him so slow. Power-wise, he could be around Wario's strength or something.

I have a bit of a different opinion on the moveset, though. I think leaving Quick Draw as his Side B option would be fine, then remove Eruption from the B slot completely and replace that with Ragnell's shockwave. Doesn't need to be chargeable. I do like the idea of having Nihil as a move option, though.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I'm going to break it down with my interpretation...

If we made this game another extension over previous one, we'd have to cut out the new things we could possibly do on the 3DS hardware and compete with ourselves again over the size of the character roster and the amount of gameplay we can put it.
My interpretation: If we made this game another expansion to Brawl, we'd have to cut characters and gameplay for the 3DS version.

It wouldn't be a fruitful competition, but doing something completely new would be difficult for many reasons, not least of which that the gamers may not be satisfied with it.
My interpretation: It wouldn't be very nice to have to cut the content like that, but if we tried to make the 3DS version a completely unique game, it'd be difficult and it may not end up well.

That's why we decided to think about ways to link the personal connection one has with his portable system to the gather-around-and-play aspect of console systems.
My interpretation: So, that's why we want to try to make the 3DS version the same as the Wii U's version(meaning same rosters and major gamplay modes) with it's own twist.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I highly doubt the roster size and who's in will be affect by this. Rather, certain things might get cut, like an extra mode or whatever, but gameplay should remain unaffected.
He specifically points out having to not want to cut the character roster down OR the gameplay though. Again, to me, that sounds like he could make the Wii U version have a TON more content than the 3DS version.... But he doesn't want to do that because then the 3DS version won't seem as good. So he's just going to limit the amount of stuff in the Wii U version.

EDIT: Darn my assumption that someone will post right after I do. Sorry for the double post.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I'm going to break it down with my interpretation...

My interpretation: If we made this game another expansion to Brawl, we'd have to cut characters and gameplay for the 3DS version.

My interpretation: It wouldn't be verpy nice to have to cut the content like that, but if we tried to make the 3DS version a completely unique game, it'd be difficult and it may not end up well.

My interpretation: So, that's why we want to try to make the 3DS version the same as the Wii U's version(meaning same rosters and major gamplay modes) with it's own twist.
I will ****ing punch a puppy if they have the same rosters. Sakurai JUST said he loved the power of the WiiU and now he is saying he wants to make a WiiU game with the content of a HANDHELD????? **** that sir. However, he did mention graphics so does that mean he is going to make the WiiU graphics as bad as the 3DS or is this just one big misunderstanding?

•Col•

Smash Champion
I will ****ing punch a puppy if they have the same rosters. Sakurak JUST said he loved the power of the WiiU and now he is saying he wants to make a WiiU game with the content of a HANDHELD????? **** that sir. However, he did mention graphics so does that mean he is going to make the WiiU graphics as bad as the 3DS or is this just one big misunderstanding?
That's another thing I think he was trying to say... "Yes, we could make the Wii U version have a huge boost in graphics, but then how does that make the 3DS version look?"

So yeah, it sounds like he's not focusing on the graphics either.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
He specifically points out having to not want to cut the character roster down OR the gameplay though. Again, to me, that sounds like he could make the Wii U version have a TON more content than the 3DS version.... But he doesn't want to do that because then the 3DS version won't seem as good. So he's just going to limit the amount of stuff in the Wii U version.

EDIT: Darn my assumption that someone will post right after I do. Sorry for the double post.
Here's my guess on what could happen. While the gameplay and rosters will be the same, each game will have an emphasis on something the other doesn't. As heavily implied, the 3DS version will likely be more single player oriented with character customization and possibly where Adventure Mode ala SSE will end up. The WiiU version will be able to boast better mutliplayer options, especially in the online area. In a sense, if you want the full Smash 4 experience (assuming you care about that), you want to play both versions.

And this is some WMG, but I think because of the technology differences, Smash 4 might not go for that "realistic" look (never cared a whole lot for it), but rather something more stylized. Look at SSF4 on consoles and 3DS which is highly stylized, but the down scaling in graphics doesn't affect it too much.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I would agree that what he's trying to say isn't the clearest, but you're twisting his words wildly. :V

"If we went solely for the Wii U," he said, "the HD graphics would really bump up the visual effects, but then we'd be stuck in another arms race. If we made this game another extension over previous one, we'd have to cut out the new things we could possibly do on the 3DS hardware and compete with ourselves again over the size of the character roster and the amount of gameplay we can put it."

If they ONLY focused on the WiiU version, then it'd be like an "arms race" bumping up the graphics from Brawl. If they ONLY focused on the WiiU version, then obviously they couldn't do new things offered by the 3DS because they wouldn't be using it. He's just saying it'll be hard to boost up the graphics/roster from Brawl for the WiiU version, and if they only did that then they'd be neglecting new possibilities that the 3DS would offer.

"It wouldn't be a fruitful competition, but doing something completely new would be difficult for many reasons, not least of which that the gamers may not be satisfied with it. That's why we decided to think about ways to link the personal connection one has with his portable system to the gather-around-and-play aspect of console systems."

The "It wouldn't be a fruitful competition" bit is a little mysterious. He probably means it wouldn't be worth it to just focus on the WiiU version, boosting graphics and what not, when they could do new things for the 3DS. But, doing something new has the risk of not being well-received, so instead they want to incorporate both plans and have connectivity between the two? So we'll get what we expect on the WiiU version, and something new on the 3DS version.

S'how I see it. :/

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
I'm just gonna refrain from making any sort of judgment on how the games're gonna turn out until they're far enough into development. I really can't say for sure what Sakurai even wants or means to do.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
"but doing something completely new would be difficult for many reasons, not least of which that the gamers may not be satisfied with it. "

Uh... THIS!? Sakurai? Gamers will be more satisfied with more characters, levels, and prettier graphics, rather than interconnectivity between systems.

Maybe this is just me saying this because I have no clue what they could do with it. I'm a bit worried because I always thought a portable Smash Bros would've been a GOOD THING between console releases, not at the same time as one.

Oh well...Again, I hope Sakurai has things sorted out... If you ask me, priority should've gone to more content, and making the online experience one that rivals the PS3/360 one.

•Col•

Smash Champion
If they ONLY focused on the WiiU version, then it'd be like an "arms race" bumping up the graphics from Brawl. If they ONLY focused on the WiiU version, then obviously they couldn't do new things offered by the 3DS because they wouldn't be using it. He's just saying it'll be hard to boost up the graphics/roster from Brawl for the WiiU version, and if they only did that then they'd be neglecting new possibilities that the 3DS would offer.
This may have been what he meant.... But even then, it doesn't make sense to me. How would it be hard to boost the graphics/roster from Brawl? And what "new possiblities" does the 3DS offer?

OH IT'S 3D. Yeah, I don't care about that. The only thing I can see is that people could play a portable Smash game... But he's already said that it's going to focus on the single player experience, which goes against the entire concept of Smash Bros in my opinion.

Either way.... I had low expectations for these games when they announced that Sakurai was leading them again.

Now those expectations are even lower.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
This may have been what he meant.... But even then, it doesn't make sense to me. How would it be hard to boost the graphics/roster from Brawl? And what "new possiblities" does the 3DS offer?
D'you think it's easy? lol. When he says "compete with ourselves," I guess he's trying to say "We'll have to work our hardest." As for what the 3DS can offer, it probably has something to do with his idea that portables are more personal. We've known it was going to be a different experience from the start.

Anyway, it sounds like you're extremely pessimistic, and trying to interpret everything in the worst way possible. To limit the game and himself by what the 3DS can handle, would be dumb. So dumb you couldn't possibly expect him to do that. Iwata just wouldn't let him, lol.

D

Deleted member

Colaya said:
Ohhhhhhhh s***.

In the case that is true, we're probably getting a 40 or less roster (Not including transformations), maybe even a drop from Brawl's. This also means we won't get as many stages/music/etc.

Seriously, if Sakurai things it's a good idea to keep the 3DS/Wii-U roster/stages/other core content the same on both platforms, I have no idea if I even want this game. There is no reason why the Wii-U should not handle at least 44 character slots, the fact that he thinks it's a good idea to do something like this really turns me off from this game.

I have lowered my expectations enough. If the team expects me to lower them to below 40 slots, then all I have to say is screw them, I might as well skip all news until release date and than gain information to decide whenever or not to buy. I haven't been actively against this idea for no reason and once people who support this insane idea sees the less than 40 roster for the Wii-U version, they'll sure as hell make sure not to even think of supporting this again.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Anyway, it sounds like you're extremely pessimistic, and trying to interpret everything in the worst way possible. To limit the game and himself by what the 3DS can handle, would be dumb. So dumb you couldn't possibly expect him to do that. Iwata just wouldn't let him, lol.
I am pessimistic, but I don't purposely try to interpret things badly... Sakurai just makes it easy. And limiting the Wii U version wouldn't be dumb... I, and many others, wouldn't be happy about it, but I wouldn't say it would be dumb.

I believed from the start that they'd make the 3DS and Wii U versions have the same character roster... I didn't think they'd actually have to cut stuff back in the Wii U version; I thought the 3DS version would be limited in other ways.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
If there is going be less then 40 characters then I'm not going to get the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom