• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Regarding planners, Sakurai noted that he's headed up all areas of game balance and character strength settings for past Smash Bros. This time, he's hoping to leave this area to the staff.
This is good, but I'm not sold on it.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Take my money now.. Was it ever mentioned if it will be a launch title??
Geno and Midna/Wolf Link FTW
Chances are that it won't be. The game isn't even in development yet. It would take a whole bunch to bring it, and its 3DS version, out with the launch of the Wii U.

Also, I wouldn't expect any of those characters. :p

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm surprised that Sakurai thought it was a good idea that he do the balancing alone.

bleyva

Smash Ace
wow Sakurai looks like a middle-aged woman in that article lol. and props to him for having the balls to acknowledge that he can't balance for ****.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'm just happy that the WiiU is supporting 4 USB ports. I was concerned with yesterday's news of the only to get a new controller was to buy another console, but this is something that I think everyone can manage with.

And get ready to adjust from the GC controllers. If I can customize controls again, it'll be great if I can use a wired, screenless WiiU controller like an arcade stick, sort of.
Well the Classic Controller isn't that bad to play Smash with. It's actually quite pleasant.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I liked playing with the classic controller at the Brawl release party, but once again, Not everyone has one.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If Nintendo releases an arcade stick that lets me play Smash, I'll be happy.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
True, but considering that the Wiimote will still be the main controller for multiplayer on Wii U, it's hardly too late to look into buying one.
This is why I don't have one.

Anascape Ltd filed a lawsuit against Nintendo claiming that the Classic Controller and other Nintendo devices violated Anascape's "six degrees of freedom" interface device patent. In July 2008, the court ruled in favor of Anascape; Nintendo was ordered to stop selling the Classic Controller in the United States until further notice. Nintendo exercised the right to continue selling the Classic Controller pending a verdict at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. On April 13, 2010, Nintendo won the appeal, and the previous court decision was reversed.
I hate patent trolls.

Is it still $20 and tax?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Are you guys even on the same page as to what the Classic Controller is?

The stick is the default for movement, not the pad.
Misunderstanding of a lifetime.

"Pad" refers to "gamepad" - for example the Classic Controller. "Stick" refers to "arcade stick", like the ones people tend to bring and use for those Street Fighter tournaments.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
If Nintendo releases an arcade stick that lets me play Smash, I'll be happy.
LOL arcade stick. Its a good Idea.

I hope it can use Gamecube controllers.

Has anyone mentioned character predictions, cause my moneys on Shadow maybe bardo from Yoshi.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I hope SSB4 supports the classic controller, and I hope that there are no more effing patent trolls that can prevent me from buying one like when I wanted to in late 2008 and 2009.

Honestly, I'd rather have Knuckles than Shadow.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I hope SSB4 supports the classic controller, and I hope that there are no more effing patent trolls that can prevent me from buying one like when I wanted to in late 2008 and 2009.

Honestly, I'd rather have Knuckles than Shadow.
True that. Knuckle's fsmash can probably be flaming punch from sonic battle from the GBA version.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I don't understand peoples dislike for Sakurai balancing the game. He did a quite fine job of balancing the games before. Of course it may not have been perfect like you people unrealistically strive for, but it honestly was not a bad job done.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
And then there's Meta Knight.

Anyway, I hope that Nintendo's success will not lead to ****ing patent trolls suing them constantly like in 2008 and 2009. And why were most of the suits in Texas anyway?

mewtwo_to_you_too

Smash Cadet
Chances are that it won't be. The game isn't even in development yet. It would take a whole bunch to bring it, and its 3DS version, out with the launch of the Wii U.

Also, I wouldn't expect any of those characters. :p
Ah, just went back and watched the announcement so for that I say thank-you..
Jesus all I've thought about since the Cafe rumors is a new SSB and the amazing increase in content if in fact it will have larger disc space

mewtwo_to_you_too

Smash Cadet
I don't understand peoples dislike for Sakurai balancing the game. He did a quite fine job of balancing the games before. Of course it may not have been perfect like you people unrealistically strive for, but it honestly was not a bad job done.
Mewtwo in Melee is why Sakurai shouldn't do the balancing.. Whole reason he wasn't in Brawl..

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
No, MK is why people hate Sakurais balancing.

Honestly he doesn't have a bad rep. 64 was balanced, Melee was pretty balanced, and Brawl would have been if MK wasn't in it.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Why people are complaining about GCN Controller incompatibility is beyond me. It can't be that hard to adjust to a different controller.

exactly, people need to stop ****in complaining about it, while IMO the Gamecube was the best controller to use as far as Melee and Brawl goes, it's not going to be implemented into every future Nintendo system.

While a 3rd party company might think of a solution for this, Nintendo will likely ditch the old hardware for new, futureristic ones, just move on folks.

:phone:

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
. Of course it may not have been perfect like you people unrealistically strive for, but it honestly was not a bad job done.
Da ****?
Ok dood. Something is seriously wrong with balancing issues if character end up having less viability then dan from street fighters who was meant to be a complete joke and not viable at all in competitive play. Just saiyan. Seriously they made ganondorf, probably the biggest badguy of all the badguys in brawl a complete joke. :I

Moveset for Nathan Drake :awesome:
[collapse=Nathan Drake trololol]
Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake from the Uncharted series joins SSB 4 despite it having nothing to do at all with Nintendo and it's a 1st part game for Sony! He is sony's rep even though they have better reps than this guy but who cares :awesome:.​

Stats:

Drake uses his epic arsenal of weapons which have nothing to do with violence and blood. He can camp but his aerials are horrible. He's strong but he lacks aerials. His recovery is easy to handle since it's a tether and he has low jumps.

STR: 8/10 (As powerful as Snake)
WEIGHT: 9/10 (As heavy as Snake)
SPEED: 3/10 (As fast as Snake)
ATK SPD: 4/10 (Below average attack speed)
SHIELD: 8/10 (As huge as Snake's shield)
SIZE: 8/10 (Human height)
JUMP: 3/10 (As high as Link's jump)

SPECIALS

Neutral special: Grenade launcher

Drake pulls out a grenade launcher and releases a grenade! He can shoot a maximum of 3 grenades. It damages 12%

Unlike Snake's grenades, you can't pick these up. It also explodes right away if it lands on ground or if it hits an enemy. One of Drake's assets in camping. You can hold the B button to cook the grenade. You can also aim with it by moving the control stick.

Downward special: Riot shield

Drake uses the Riot shield. It can reflect and shield against projectiles and melee attacks

You can move while using this move. It can resist attacks until it has taken 15% damage in total. You're still vulnerable from your back though.

Forward special: Crossbow

Drake uses a crossbow. It damages 7 - 12%.

You can charge the attack to make it travel farther and damage more. You can also aim with it using the control stick.

Upward special: Rope swing

Drake uses his rope to grab the ledge! Oh wait, he doesn't have a rope

It works exactly like Zero suit Samus' recovery except it can hit enemies and he does not do the spinning :awesome:. On ground, it's used to grab items and hit enemies.

STANDARD ATTACKS

Neutral combo: The usual combo

Drake does a punch - elbow - uppercut combo. It damages 14%

Great move for starting combos. You can jab cancel it to most moves. The uppercut does good knockback and kills at moderately low percents (Around 130 - 140%).

Dash attack: Knee

Drake hits the enemy with his knee! It damages 10%

This attack poses priority over power. It can clank with Snake's f-tilt and mach tornado. This attack is easily punished though. It doesn't have much range.

TILT ATTACKS

Forward tilt: Boot

Drake boots (Kicking the enemy with your shoe) the enemy. It damages 12%

This is Drake's best move for spacing. It has high knockback and good range. The ending lag is quite long though.

Upward tilt: Upper punch

Drake punches the enemy in the face. It damages 11%

Downward tilt: Lower kick

Drake kicks the enemy. It damages 9%.

SMASH ATTACKS

Forward smash: Backhand

Drake hits the enemy with the back of his hand. It damages 12 - 19%

Drake's combo finisher on ground. It can be followed up after his neutral combo. This move is fast but it's weak compared to most smashes. It still deals the knockback that mos smash attacks would deal.

Downward smash: Propane tank

Drake puts down a propane tank. It damages 14 - 24%

It explodes if something HITS the tank. If the enemy passes by it, it won't explode. It will explode if the enemy hits it, a projectile hits it or if it's grabbed. This could be used for strategies. It can be used as Drake's front defense while he's camping.

Upward smash: RPG - 7

Drake shoots a missile upwards. It damages 10 - 16% if the enemy got hit by the missile and 22 - 30% if the enemy is directly hit by it (That means he has to be close to Drake)

This move has an extremely slow start up so I suggest using if the enemy is far or if you can punish the enemy. The missile could be used for camping purposes. The sweetspot is hard to land but the reward is great.

AERIAL ATTACKS

Neutral aerial - Power kick
Drake kicks the enemy with full force! It damages 15%

Slow but extremely powerful attack. It's capable of killing Jigglypuff at 100%, The main problem is it has an extremely slow start - up.

Forward aerial - Spike
Drake spikes the enemy. It damages 18% and it's capable of meteor smashing.

It's just like the Neutral aerial but it can meteor smash. It has shorter range than the Neutral aerial but it's quicker.

Backward aerial - Back kick
Drake kicks backward. It damages 13%

Drake's quickest aerial yet it still has a notable lag, it's still your best option in the air. It does lesser knockback than all his aerials but it's the fastest.

Upward aerial - Vertical kick
Drake does a vertical kick to the enemy. No. It's not like Snake's Uair. He uses one leg. It deals 16% damage.

It still has a huge lag but it's still powerful as hell. Use it to kill enemies vertically if you want.

Downward aerial - Stomp
Drake stomps the enemy. He does not use both of his feet. It damages 20% and it meteor smashes.

Okay. This is similar to Ganondorf's stomp in many ways. Wait no, it is similar. Generally, it works like Ganondorf's stomp.

GRABS

Pummel - Headbutt

Upward throw - Throw up

Backward throw - Suplex

Downward throw - Throw down

Forward throw - Super punch

Final smash: TANK

Drake for some reason and yet pretty unfitting grabs the smash ball and for some reason calls a tank out of no where. What the heck? That doesn't make any sense. Where's the Science behind that? Oh well! This is like Fox's landmaster. Just treat it that way. The missile damages 14% and ramming the enemy damages 10%. It can't spin like the landmaster so too bad!

Playstyle
Drake relies on his projectiles to survive. To sum it up, he camps. He has loads of weapons such as a grenade launcher, a crossbow, a propane tank and an RPG 7. This makes him the ultimate camper. His approaching skills suck :troll:. Most of his attacks are strong but the ending lag is too much. Drake is more of a ground character. Drake's air game is too slow. His grabs are good. There is nothing good or bad about it which makes it average.

OTHER STUFF

Upward taunt - Laugh
Drake laughs for some reason.

Downward taunt - Reading a book
Drake reads a book about legends, artifacts and culture. There is a 1% chance he's reading Twilight.

Side taunt - Oh god
Drake says, "Oh God".

Victory pose 1 - Drake gets some treasure or artifact out of no where.

Victory pose 2 - Drake writes on his book about what happened in the battle/brawl/fight/melee

Lose - Clap

:troll::troll::troll:
:troll::troll::troll:
[/collapse]

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Da ****?
Ok dood. Something is seriously wrong with balancing issues if character end up having less viability then dan from street fighters who was meant to be a complete joke and not viable at all in competitive play. Just saiyan. Seriously they made ganondorf, probably the biggest badguy of all the badguys in brawl a complete joke. :I
Not exactly a great comparison when looking at the number of characters between the two games.
How viable was Servbot in MvC2, anyway?

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Servebot was meant to be a total joke though. He wasn't the king of evil, he was one of trons goombas. :V

That and I gotta say, MvC2 was unbalanced. Hugely. But now the times have changed and we can continue to patch our games after we bought them! I'm hoping we'll see some sorta game patches if anything extremely broken or glitchy is found. Maybe some DLC?

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I am willing to move on to the classic controller.... provided Ninty doesn't get in trouble and unable to sell the thing for 2 years.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Ganondorf actually suffers from a major bug. His FAir is supposed to autocancel out of a full-hop. That alone would give him even one more option. He's also a victim of the RCO lag bug, making landing after recovering hard for him.

Also I love the CCPro.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Da ****?
2 Characters (MK and Ganon) Don't really amount for all the hate he receives.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The issue is, the more characters you add to the cast, the harder it will be to keep each one different but not completely imbalanced in one direction or another. It's easy to make bad characters or broken ones. It's considerably more difficult to keep adding characters that don't imbalance something or everything.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Not exactly a great comparison when looking at the number of characters between the two games.
How viable was Servbot in MvC2, anyway?
SSF4 had 35 characters with a very good balance and then AE comes out with 39 having good balance (even though Yun is freaking stupid). Brawl has around that many characters and it's messed up by comparison.

2 Characters (MK and Ganon) Don't really amount for all the hate he receives.
Fox sinking like a rock, Peach's second jump being crap, Samus in general.

I loved playing those three in Melee but I couldn't play them in Brawl.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
That interview made me so hopeful. He obviously realizes that he needs help to execute such a huge project so A. the game will be completed faster and B. he will get input other than his own. And the fact that he sees the 3DS as a smaller version would imply that he intends the console version to be bigger and better and have more characters, etc. That is amazing because I was worried he would skimp down the WiiU version to make it 'fair' for the 3DS version. ALSO, he can get all his artistic whims and such out on the 3DS version and let the WiiU version be more of the bare bones Brawler with a ton of characters that all the fans want. I'm optimistic.

Also, I was wondering about a third Fire Emblem rep. Is there any character that is super obvious? I was thinking Lyn, Hector, or Micaiah. Thoughts?

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
That AND he has to stay true to the character. I was actually considering how he would balance metaknight while still keeping him true to his character....still. I don't want one character to dominate the whole smash scene. MK dominates smash scenes. He probably wouldn't as much if he was actually difficult to use but shutter loop, nado and downsmash are just so hard to deal with. I think if a few of his tools were modified we could have a more balanced smash. Characters like captain falcon should be given a few moves that are less, ya know, incredibly punishable?

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
SSF4 had 35 characters with a very good balance and then AE comes out with 39 having good balance (even though Yun is freaking stupid). Brawl has around that many characters and it's messed up by comparison.
However your comparing a game that wasn't meant to be competitive vs. a game that is created around balance. And even then brawl only had 2 outliers with the rest of the cast being fairly balanced in comparison

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
SF4 started with 26 characters and had balancing issues. SSF4 is a second version. AE is a third. 64, Melee, and Brawl are all first incarnations in terms of releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom