• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
The issue is, the more characters you add to the cast, the harder it will be to keep each one different but not completely imbalanced in one direction or another. It's easy to make bad characters or broken ones. It's considerably more difficult to keep adding characters that don't imbalance something or everything.
The issue of improper balancing may be true, but if Sakurai and Project Sora pay the hardcore community a little more attention then we wouldn't have to worry about this, broken characters would kill all hopes of playing this game competatively, less characters more balanced characters would certainly
do it for me

:phone:

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Balance patches. Make it happen sakurai!
It worked for street fighter it'll work for you! :D

EDIT: Yea, japanese fox players have some wiiiiicked blockstrings man! They are so on point! Fox is just so difficult to use. Anywho I think it's partly because of how there stage selection is, but lets not go into that.

EDIT 2: Ignore me, listen to Etwist. Thanks twisty. :3

D

Deleted member

I've heard from people on the E3 show floor that the WiiU controller feels very natural and comfortable.

I'm bummed I can't use a gamecube controller, but I'm also very interested in the new controller.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The issue of improper balancing may be true, but if Sakurai and Project Sora pay the hardcore community a little more attention then we wouldn't have to worry about this, broken characters would kill all hopes of playing this game competatively, less characters more balanced characters would certainly
do it for me

At the same time, he isn't trying to market the game only to tournament players. Obviously reducing the roster would make things easier, but how will anyone outside of the core competitive market see that as an "upgrade" in any way? Because it's in HD now? As if anyone really cared about the resolution of Mario's overalls texture.

We can note these intents from Sakurai:
- He wants to make the game fun
- He wants to have a lot of characters
- He wants each character to be different
- He wants to keep things "balanced" ... hard to tell under what conditions he's considering

He's not about to sacrifice the first two just to satisfy the final goal.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I hope you can pick your character from the touch screen on the controller. That'd make my day. :)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ohh!! SmashBoards is back... and the SSB4 thread has started over. So, what did I miss? :)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
kackamee: Unlikely to see much of that, since each WiiU is limited to a single one of those tablet controllers.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Sakurai said something along the lines of balance being "Framedata/hitbox's/ and moves feeling natural" he basically means "I don't want another snake's F-tilt taking up half a final destination."

mewtwo_to_you_too

Smash Cadet
No, MK is why people hate Sakurais balancing.

Honestly he doesn't have a bad rep. 64 was balanced, Melee was pretty balanced, and Brawl would have been if MK wasn't in it.
Or if the would have given him a different moveset.. Or unbrokenitized him..
Also, Ganondorf.. Why the eff did he still have the same moves as CF?? And still falls behind?? And to think that he is one of Nintendo's most powerful villians..

Also, I'm not saying that any of the characters need to change, but moveset updates would be nice this time around

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think this game needs some Geno love

BSP

Smash Legend
I really hope he focuses on the GROUP mode more than solo. Smash is meant to be multiplayer

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I really hope he focuses on the GROUP mode more than solo. Smash is meant to be multiplayer

Brawl's Solo mode wasn't exactly spectacular either

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
HOOOOLD UP!
Ok all this sakurai hate stuff does not just come from balance! It comes from his warped view on casuals, tourney players, and online safety and having everyone play fair.

He was so obsessed with everyone being able to play that everything was slowed down. It made it so it wasn't fun for casuals, or tourney players. It's the equivalent of letting your kid go play football ONLY if he's wrapped in bubble wrap, and theres no tackling aloud.

His views on wifi were even more rediculous. He wanted the opponents to feel like "scarecrows" so there won't be any contact between the two just incase some pedo decides to stalk online. But damnit if I wanted to fight scarecrows i'd fight cpus. BUT OH WAIT! He forced you too play with CPU's online if theres not enough players on basic brawl! Which wouldn't be an issue in the first place if he just let us customize the rules JUST A TEENY BIT online so we can atleast have one on ones. Keep basical brawl in and the 4 free for all, but don't go and neuter the competitive scene too. Casuals and competetives can both enjoy online this way.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
wii U has no gamecube controller ports.... i wonder how the new smash is gunna work out

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/26632
Classic Controllers. Problem solved.

HOOOOLD UP!
Ok all this sakurai hate stuff does not just come from balance! It comes from his warped view on casuals, tourney players, and online safety and having everyone play fair.

He was so obsessed with everyone being able to play that everything was slowed down. It made it so it wasn't fun for casuals, or tourney players. It's the equivalent of letting your kid go play football ONLY if he's wrapped in bubble wrap, and theres no tackling aloud.

His views on wifi were even more rediculous. He wanted the opponents to feel like "scarecrows" so there won't be any contact between the two just incase some pedo decides to stalk online. But damnit if I wanted to fight scarecrows i'd fight cpus. BUT OH WAIT! He forced you too play with CPU's online if theres not enough players on basic brawl! Which wouldn't be an issue in the first place if he just let us customize the rules JUST A TEENY BIT online so we can atleast have one on ones. Keep basical brawl in and the 4 free for all, but don't go and neuter the competitive scene too. Casuals and competetives can both enjoy online this way.
This is why I wouldn't mind if he didn't direct the next smash but he is so we have to cross our fingers and hope someone speaks some logic into him.

mewtwo_to_you_too

Smash Cadet
Why all the gripe over no GC controller?? Was it an official statement?? The 360 wired controllers have a weird little chord for idk why, but the other end is the USB plug-in.. That's pretty unclear so I'm okay to take some bombing for clarification

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why all the gripe over no GC controller?? Was it an official statement?? The 360 wired controllers have a weird little chord for idk why, but the other end is the USB plug-in.. That's pretty unclear so I'm okay to take some bombing for clarification
There was no official statement, there just wasn't a gamecube controller port on the system.

To be honest, I always felt the wii nunchuk controller was easier to hold. I could move my hands around more freely

BSP

Smash Legend
Where did sakurai get the view that people couldnt pick up melee? Honestly there wasn't anything wrong...sure it was hard to get into the competitive scene, but bs friends was always fun imo

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I had no trouble switching from the N64 controller to the Gamecube and I'm sure I won't have any problem with another controller. I didn't change to the Wii controls in brawl because I was already familiar with the gamecube. Why switch when you don't have to?

I'm curious with the Pad functions in working with the TV and regular controllers. I'm sure you can battle using the pad but the touch screen wouldn't be used. It would be really useful in Camera mode and level editing. Possibly able to edit the pictures with drawing with the stylus.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
When I played melee, I didn't even care about the competetive seen man! Sure I suck *** at it but its fun!
No why?
BECAUSE ITS WASN'T TONED DOWN!
**** WAS SO CRAZY, SO FAST PACED MAN! I got into it, I inched closer to the screen with every hit!

With brawl its sloooooooow as hell. Somethings wrong when a game feels slow with sonic in it.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
@313

IDC DUDE!

I hate brawl, sorry, it was probably the biggest dissapointment in my life gaming wise. I DO NOT want another game with tripping, no hitstun, and slow, easy *** gameplay.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Well, this is probably the best thing that could have happened. No one will try to play Smash 4 competitively now. Or at least not many will. Smash 4 was going to suck no matter what, but at least now it is blatantly obvious that it will suck.

The problem with Brawl's release was that for years, as Dojo hype built, new players decided to hold off on competitive smash until the new game came out. We got visitors but no new Melee players. That won't happen this time. We'll get visitors but any that are interested in competitive play will head to Melee or Brawl. The community won't be splintered again.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
kackamee: Unlikely to see much of that, since each WiiU is limited to a single one of those tablet controllers.
Nintendo would literally need to be ******** if you were limited to one tablet per console. I highly recommend not taking that rumour as fact

they really appeared to botch the launch of the console, almost as if they were forced to officially reveal it due to internal leaks...

I..I am so not wanting this...
He based almost everything in Brawl off Melee, so...

also, re: 3ds/wiiu interconnectivity, im thinking itll be something along the lines of acquiring powerups (see: brawl stickers) in singleplayer mode on the 3ds and being able to transfer them or use them on the wii's singleplayer mode

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I played as Shiek in Melee, so obviously I had no problem with fast pace.

I had some good times back in Melee and loved competition against friends or random people at certain conventions

Brawl on the other hand...Well, I liked the character list...

Edit: I spelled Sheik's name wrong

BSP

Smash Legend
That's what I'm talking about. I for one have yet to hear a casual or anyone say melee was too fast to be fun

It isn't too late to go back...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Too bad it won't be for a couple of years though. :\
Yes, but this time... we need to be patient. We will try to restrain ourselves and not urge Nintendo to pressure Sakurai to hurry up with the development. For all we know, the game could even come out in 2014 or later.

Still, I got to laugh at some people here... some people were claiming that Sakurai will not work on SSB4 just because he said he didn't want to work on Brawl... but he is!!! :awesome:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That's what I'm talking about. I for one have yet to hear a casual or anyone say melee was too fast to be fun

It isn't too late to go back...

Well, Sakurai bases most on his assumptions on the Japanese fan base

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Well, think about it.. They can polish the visuals if it's making the move to HD and add a few things or keep the original graphics and add a tit-load of content..

Either way it's ftw and will be enjoyed by anyone
YEAH MAN! HD GRAPHICS TO COVER UP THE ****TY GAMEPLAY!

I'm a competitive player, I couldn't give 2 ****s about HD or stupid *** items or stupid *** modes.

Gameplay is what it all boils down to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom