• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think Toad is more likely now than before. Toad is playable in New Super Mario Bros. Mii for the Wii U. This marks the third Mario main game that Toad(s) have ever been playable in. Not only that, but Paper Mario 3DS seems to have a green Toad as one of Mario's partners. If that's the case, there is plenty of moveset potential that Toad could borrow from the green Toad partner.
This is rather nice for the Toad Brigade... red Toad is the main Toad himself like always, blue and yellow Toads are playable in New Super Mario Bros. games, green Toad is a partner in Paper Mario 3DS, that leaves out the purple Toad.

Because of Luigi's Mansion 2, I think it is very likely we will see a new stage based on Luigi's Mansion 2 or at least Luigi's Mansion as a past stage. I sure hope King Boo will be in SSB4 as one of the Adventure Mode bosses and Luigi might finally get to use his vacuum as his Final Smash. The same goes for Mario Circuit as a potential past stage... but I would be happy to take Rainbow Road as a new Mario Kart stage. Cannot wait to play Mario Kart 3DS. ;)

As for Link and Zelda, there is a very good chance they will be redesigned to look like they are from Skyward Sword, not Twilight Princess. I am just unsure if Skyward Sword Zelda would transform into Ocarina of Time Sheik. Then again, Twilight Princess Zelda did transform into Ocarina of Time Sheik even though she never did that in Twilight Princess. Maybe Sheik will need to be redesigned to look like she came from Skyward Sword. As for people saying that Toon Link will be replaced with Young Link because we need someone to represent Ocarina of Time. No, we don't... we already got that covered with Sheik and Ganondorf.
And besides, Toon Link plays far better than Young Link.

As for Mario and Zelda stages, I hope to see the following:

- a side-scrolling stage like Mushroomy Kingdom, but with five random stages from Super Mario Land and the four NES games in Super Mario All-Stars... but they are updated with New Super Mario Bros. Wii graphics (and the one from Super Mario Land is in black-and-white with updated graphics as well)
- a new Mario Kart stage... my money is on Rainbow Road and I hope it got Chain Chomps from Mario Kart 64 as well as a Launch Star from Mario Kart Wii serving a similar role as the Barrel Cannon from Kongo Jungle stages
- a new stage based on Luigi's Mansion 2 (I would prefer this over the original returning as a past stage)
- a new stage based on Super Mario 3DS and Super Mario Galaxy 2, maybe based on those Airship levels
- a new stage based on Paper Mario 3DS
- a cel-shaded stage based on Zelda: Spirit Tracks, maybe on top of a moving train as it travels around Hyrule, it could be something like Big Blue or The Summit
- a tropical stage based on Zelda: Link's Awakening, maybe Tal Tal Mountain Range with lots of waterfalls... it is where Turtle Rock, Eagle's Tower, and the Wind Fish's Egg are located at... I think this one could be a huge stage like Hyrule Temple and New Pork City with caves and tunnels
- a new stage based on Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, hopefully one that randomly wraps around iconic locations (Hyrule Castle, Lost Woods, Death Mountain, Lake Hylia, Kakariko Village, Gerudo Valley, Lon Lon Ranch) similar to Castle Siege
- a new stage based on Zelda: Skyward Sword

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I am a big but sceptical female character supporter, but not to up to date with games and relevancy. What do you guys think of the chances of these characters:

Krystal (Still relevant or was Brawl her only hope?)
Lyn (See Krystal)
Dixie Kong (No appearance in DKCR sealed her fate?)
Paula (Not relevant enough?)
Lip
Female PKMN Trainer
Midna (See Krystal and Lyn)

Any other female characters you think would have a shot? Thanks guys :)
I don't think many of them have any chance, especially not Midna.

However, a female Pokemon trainer needs to appear. I think just create alternate costumes and have Pokemon Trainer's alternate be Leaf (the FR/LG female protagonist). "Pokemon Trainer"'s name is not even gender specific, it would work perfectly!

I'm mad about Leaf not appearing in HG/SS, so this would ease my mind a little bit.

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the response Refugee and Bassonist, I guess I will start cheering for Krystal, Lip and Captain Syrup! I think female characters add variety to game, so hopefully they add more this time. I was very disappointed that Brawl didn't add any new ones, unless you count ZSS.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
I don't think many of them have any chance, especially not Midna.

However, a female Pokemon trainer needs to appear. I think just create alternate costumes and have Pokemon Trainer's alternate be Leaf (the FR/LG female protagonist). "Pokemon Trainer"'s name is not even gender specific, it would work perfectly!

I'm mad about Leaf not appearing in HG/SS, so this would ease my mind a little bit.
I think they would go with the W/B protagonist instead. I mean, if they decide to change the male character too.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I think they would go with the W/B protagonist instead. I mean, if they decide to change the male character too.
But under that same logic, wouldn't the 'Pokemon Trainer' in Brawl have been the fourth generation protagonist?

UberMario

Smash Master
I think it would be really cool if you were to take the scoring system from Melee and 64 and use that as a way to reward players for making good strategic decisions and guesses. Your opponent gets predictable and you catch on with a counter? +10000 points.
That, too. I was pretty disappointed when the bonuses [and related FFA mode] did not return in Brawl.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I think they should take Wario's extra skins away and give that to the Pokemon Trainer... 4 male, 4 female. Probably.

And I think we might get the 3rd generation PT, depending on if the remake comes out any time soon, before SSB4 gets too finished.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think they should take Wario's extra skins away and give that to the Pokemon Trainer... 4 male, 4 female. Probably.

And I think we might get the 3rd generation PT, depending on if the remake comes out any time soon, before SSB4 gets too finished.
Some people prefer Classic Wario over WarioWare Wario, so that probably isn't a smart move.

D

Deleted member

RayaGRH said:
Krystal (Still relevant or was Brawl her only hope?) For new female representives, next to Medusa and Dixie Kong, she stands the best chance at a new female rep. I think it's decently possible to see her in the next Smash as I see a lot of demand for her.
Lyn (See Krystal) Also possible, although she has to compete with other potential Fire Emblem characters as well.
Dixie Kong (No appearance in DKCR sealed her fate?) She was planned for Brawl, so I wouldn't be surprise if she made an appearance as a playable character. At least one character from the data should be made playable.
Paula (Not relevant enough?) Very, very slim chance and quite frankly, I don't want her in.
Lip Probably not happening.
Female PKMN Trainer And waste a slot that can be used for better characters? Absolutely not. The most that she should get is as an alternate costume.
Midna (See Krystal and Lyn) Doesn't look to appear in Skyward Swords, so leaning towards unlikely.

Any other female characters you think would have a shot? Thanks guys
The most likely is Medusa, since due to Kid Icarus: Uprising, we're bound to have at least two playable Kid Icarus characters.
refugee said:
Captain Syrup has a shot since she appeared in the last Wario platformer game and also appeared in two other games beforehand.
Interested to see how she would work in the Smash universe. The only ones I can see working are Wario and Kat & Ana; the former is already playable and I don't imagine Kat & Ana in the game as playable until at least SSB5.
Arcadenik said:
I think Toad is more likely now than before. Toad is playable in New Super Mario Bros. Mii for the Wii U. This marks the third Mario main game that Toad(s) have ever been playable in. Not only that, but Paper Mario 3DS seems to have a green Toad as one of Mario's partners. If that's the case, there is plenty of moveset potential that Toad could borrow from the green Toad partner. This is rather nice for the Toad Brigade... red Toad is the main Toad himself like always, blue and yellow Toads are playable in New Super Mario Bros. games, green Toad is a partner in Paper Mario 3DS, that leaves out the purple Toad.
The one thing you're forgetting is that Toad is a special move of Peach. If Toad is a special move for Peach, then I highly doubt Toad will ever get an upgrade from that. Why people keep forgetting this, I'll never know.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm kind of surprised that Bowser Jr. isn't being discussed much. He's become a common character in many mainstream Mario titles now, so it would only be fair if he gets a shot at being playable.

He'd obviously operate differently from Bowser; faster, but less powerful.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240

I don't understand where any of this logic is coming from.

We only need one Pokemon trainer, and that should remain the one we have right now. We only need one alternate costume - Leaf. That way both the male and female protagonists are represented. Having all of the others in would take too much time that could be spent polishing the models of other characters.

and I prefer classic Wario over the Wario Ware model, I always used that model when I played Brawl as him.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well, I dunno. =P I generally don't care too much, but that SHOULD be something given to PT regardless of whether or not Wario has it.

1. Medusa/Palutena
2. Caeda
3. Krystal

Female characters I think actually have a reasonable chance. From most to least likely, even if it is just barely.

UberMario

Smash Master
The one thing you're forgetting is that Toad is a special move of Peach. If Toad is a special move for Peach, then I highly doubt Toad will ever get an upgrade from that. Why people keep forgetting this, I'll never know.
Replace Toad with Perry [from SPP]. Done. Toad is then free to become his own character.

The feminine fatales that I think have the highest chances are:

1. Captain Syrup [Wario]
2. Dixie Kong [Donkey Kong Country]
3. Krystal [Star Fox]
4. Caeda [Fire Emblem]
5. Lip [Panel de Pon]

Medusa would not be a character, heck, look at the Kid Icarus trailers to see how freaking huge she is.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I don't understand where any of this logic is coming from.

We only need one Pokemon trainer, and that should remain the one we have right now. We only need one alternate costume - Leaf. That way both the male and female protagonists are represented. Having all of the others in would take too much time that could be spent polishing the models of other characters.

and I prefer classic Wario over the Wario Ware model, I always used that model when I played Brawl as him.
Admittedly taking it from Wario is a bad idea.

But if you don't think the PT thing makes any sense, then I'm sorry, you've never played a pokemon game from Crystal version onwards. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to only have one, when you could essentially switch trainers as costumes like with Wario, and have the same party.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
We don't know if Toad is a special move for Peach in SSB4 or not.

Toad deserves to be a playable character before many if all of the other Mario characters do.

majora_787

Smash Hero
We don't know if Toad is a special move for Peach in SSB4 or not.

Toad deserves to be a playable character before many if all of the other Mario characters do.
... I don't know about you, but I think Mario, Luigi, Bowser, and Peach all take first dibs before Toad. I'd even say that Bowser Jr. deserves to pick a straw first. But, you know.

refugee

Smash Journeyman

But if you don't think the PT thing makes any sense, then I'm sorry, you've never played a pokemon game from Crystal version onwards. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to only have one, when you could essentially switch trainers as costumes like with Wario, and have the same party.
Alternative costume is the perfect solution.

... I don't know about you, but I think Mario, Luigi, Bowser, and Peach all take first dibs before Toad. I'd even say that Bowser Jr. deserves to pick a straw first. But, you know.
I'm pretty sure he means the ones that haven't made it yet.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I'm kind of surprised that Bowser Jr. isn't being discussed much. He's become a common character in many mainstream Mario titles now, so it would only be fair if he gets a shot at being playable.

He'd obviously operate differently from Bowser; faster, but less powerful.
Probably because people would like to discuss other series that aren't mario or Pokemon.

Oh wait that's me.

I really don't want anymore from either side. There's no doubt in my mind that if there is any more mario characters it should definitely be Geno and if not nobody else. Toads boring, Waluigi's not in any real games, Bowser Jr's meh, etc. I don't know what to say about pokemon. Mewtwo FTW?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I'm pretty sure he means the ones that haven't made it yet.
Right, but please don't refer to me as a 'he'.

I've played one of each pair/trio of Pokemon games aside from Black/White.

I fully understand it. I just don't think that creating models for all of the characters is necessary. Sakurai kept it simple with the first generation one, I propose putting Leaf as an alternate costume and really that's where it should stop. We don't need any beyond that.

majora_787

Smash Hero
- And I'd hope me meant the ones that haven't made it. If Toad were really that much more than Mario, he'd be the mascot. Eh? =P

But yeah.

We don't need a model for every pokemon trainer. I just think it would be something that would be nice to have, so girls can have Gen#'s female trainer, and guys can have Gen#'s male trainer. I'm not asking for 10 sets of costumes.

UberMario

Smash Master
Probably because people would like to discuss other series that aren't mario or Pokemon.

Oh wait that's me.

I really don't want anymore from either side. There's no doubt in my mind that if there are any more mario characters it should definitely be Geno and if not nobody else. I don't know what to say about pokemon. Mewtwo FTW?
lol. You criticize him about discussing something Mario-related, and then you bring up the hyped-to-oblivion Geno.

There are only a handful [3-D] Mario candidates that would have any shot at joining Mario & co.in SSB:

-Toad
-Bowser Jr.
-Fawful
-Waluigi

Wart's highest chance is an assist trophy

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
lol. You criticize him about discussing something Mario-related, and then you bring up the hyped-to-oblivion Geno.

There are only a handful [3-D] Mario candidates that would have any shot at joining Mario & co.in SSB:

-Toad
-Bowser Jr.
-Fawful
-Waluigi

Waluigi's highest chance is also an assist trophy, just like in Brawl. Waluigi has not appeared in any real Mario games.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Medusa would not be a character, heck, look at the Kid Icarus trailers to see how freaking huge she is.
For those who think Ridley is too big, look at Medusa. She makes Ridley look like a dwarf.

And of course, if Bowser can have his size adjusted, it should be no different for Ridley.

Oh wait that's me.

I really don't want anymore from either side. There's no doubt in my mind that if there is any more mario characters it should definitely be Geno and if not nobody else. I don't know what to say about pokemon. Mewtwo FTW?
Melee had 5 Super Mario series characters, but one of them was a clone; Dr. Mario. I don't see the harm of adding a new 5th Super Mario character into the mix, seeing as the Yoshi and Wario series' aren't getting anyone new.

UberMario

Smash Master
Waluigi's highest chance is also an assist trophy, just like in Brawl. Waluigi has not appeared in any real Mario games.
While true, they've branched him out enough to give him a decent moveset from just the spinoffs, alone, and he did play antagonist for one game. (Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix)

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero

-Toad
-Bowser Jr.
-Fawful
-Waluigi

Read my edit and I was giving my input on the Mario character discussion. Geno just seems like the only character that's wanted enough to take spots from other characters. Like, would you really want Toad over Ridley, Sukapon, Little Mac, etc? I wouldn't. Mario is kinda over-saturated in smash. I think there's only one spot left and Toad or Geno will most likely get it.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Toad or Bowser Jr., you mean. Geno has a pretty small chance, being 3rd party and all.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
While true, they've branched him out enough to give him a decent moveset from just the spinoffs, alone, and he did play antagonist for one game. (Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix)
Doesn't matter, he's still a filler character. He'll never get in over the countless Mario characters that are actually canon. He'd even get in after Geno.

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
When talking about Ridley and Medusa's size...ahh, isn't Olimar the size of a peanut in his games? XD

majora_787

Smash Hero
When talking about Ridley and Medusa's size...ahh, isn't Olimar the size of a peanut in his games? XD
I was trolling when I made that Medusa comment, making fun of the Ridley size argument. Please, let's not seriously go there. :3

Panta

Smash Cadet
I don't see why Birdo isn't added in as another Yoshi character. Or is she not a Yoshi rep? O_o

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
We do not need to add female characters just because they are female. They should be added if they had merit to their respective series and their respective series had at least one new game after Brawl came out.

Dixie Kong - okay, sure, she wasn't in DKCR but she was planned to be in Brawl... I think Sakurai may want to retry his Diddy/Dixie team idea.

Palutena - she's one of the most important characters in the Kid Icarus series and Sakurai is the one who made Uprising so I am sure she has Sakurai's interest

Medusa - same reasons as Palutena

Caeda - this one is iffy but Sakurai himself once considered her the heroine of Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and he said she had a very important role in that game.

Krystal - her chances of appearing is very low, especially when Sakurai didn't even know Star Fox Adventures existed before he saw Krystal's name popping up on his Brawl poll and most recent Star Fox game is Star Fox 64 3D, a remake of the most popular game of the whole series and that was before Krystal existed.

Rosalina - I highly doubt she would appear as a playable character. She has done nothing that could be used for a moveset. I think she would be suitable as an Assist Trophy where she shoots Star Bits at the moving Star Cursor (we could do that with our Wii Remotes when we play Galaxy 1 and 2)

Captain Syrup - I really doubt she will be playable. So, just because she returned 10 years after Wario Land 2, she's suddenly a worthy addition? She didn't do much in Shake It. I mean, really? So, the only thing she has going for her is that she is a RECURRING FEMALE VILLAIN? Being recurring isn't enough for her. She has only appeared in three games out of over a dozen Wario games. It is like adding Fawful just because he appeared in three games out of 50+ Mario games. Being a villain, okay, I can give you that, but she's just one of several villains of the Wario series... she's not even THE villain of the whole series like Bowser, Ganondorf, King K. Rool, and Medusa are in their respective series. As for being female, no, just no. Having a vajayjay and **** doesn't make a character any more unique than the other characters.

Lip - well, she's a retro character so I suppose she would be fine... but stop using the female card to support her. It makes me want her less. I really don't care about her gender, I only care about her role in the series. Either way, I think she may be an Assist Trophy at best... dropping Garbage Blocks on the stage after she scores combos and chains with the panels in the background.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Ah. The good ol' size argument.

I remember "Ridley is too big!" countless times. Yup, it's a moot point. The character's in Super Smash Bros. aren't real, they are trophies/figurines.

Olimar should have stopped the "Ridley is too big!" nonsense a long time ago, but I bet we'll be seeing it again.

UberMario

Smash Master
Doesn't matter, he's still a filler character. He'll never get in over the countless Mario characters that are actually canon. He'd even get in after Geno.
I would say otherwise about the last sentence, but most of the other "actually canon" Mario characters are too obscure or too generic to be a new rep (other than Toad [technically generic] and Bowser Jr. who are well-known enough to fill in the 5th/6th slots, easily.)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't see why Birdo isn't added in as another Yoshi character. Or is she not a Yoshi rep? O_o
Birdo only counts as a Super Mario series character, but there are better picks than it. If anything, Birdo is limited to being an Assist Trophy at best.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Ah. The good ol' size argument.

I remember "Ridley is too big!" countless times. Yup, it's a moot point. The character's in Super Smash Bros. aren't real, they are trophies/figurines.

Olimar should have stopped the "Ridley is too big!" nonsense a long time ago, but I bet we'll be seeing it again.
Kirby's also suppose to be really small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom