• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Birdo only counts as a Super Mario series character, but there are better picks than it. If anything, Birdo is limited to being an Assist Trophy at best.
But again, she IS more important than Waluigi. xD

EDIT: And really, DK is supposed to be pretty effin big. And so is Ganondorf, actually. xD

smashmachine

Smash Lord
this thread is 0-8+ in spelling Micaiah correctly
and why would we need another wario character

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I would say otherwise about the last sentence, but most of the other "actually canon" Mario characters are too obscure or too generic to be a new rep (other than Toad [technically generic] and Bowser Jr. who are well-known enough to fill in the 5th/6th slots, easily.)
Oh, I know that Geno is not happening. I was making a point.

There are three Mario characters that would get in much sooner than Waluigi: Toad, Bowser Jr., and Paper Mario. Even Birdo and Daisy would get in sooner. At least they have a canon appearance or two.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why Birdo isn't added in as another Yoshi character. Or is she not a Yoshi rep? O_o
Birdo has never appeared in a Yoshi game to my knowledge. Devs just like to match Birdo and Yoshi together in sports games. I guess it's because they're both dinosaurs or something.

And Geno will never be in SSB. He'd be a Square character and I think we'd sooner get reps from Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Chrono Trigger before a sidekick character from 1 Mario RPG.

Anyhow, I think Bowser Jr. should be put in, just because I can think of more interesting movesets for him than Toad and because we desperately need more villains.

UberMario

Smash Master
I counted Paper Mario as it's own series, that's why I didn't list him with the Mario characters. (Kind of like how Yoshi, Donkey Kong, and Wario are diverged enough to be considered their own, semi-independent franchises.)

majora_787

Smash Hero
this thread is 0-8+ in spelling Micaiah correctly
and why would we need another wario character
We really don't. People seem to be making the weirdest choices:

More Wario, but less Star Fox?

More Mario, but less Retro?

Krystal, but not Wolf or Falco?

Waluigi, but not Toad or Bowser Jr.?

Geno, but not any 1st party character?

Anthony Higgs, but not an actually relevant Metroid character? Like Ridley?

It's a huge orgy of weird choices.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I counted Paper Mario as it's own series, that's why I didn't list it with the Mario characters.
Before you know it, the Mario & Luigi series starts to get discussed. The only Mario & Luigi reference that I can think of, that would work, is an alternate outfit for Bowser, which makes him look like Dark Bowser.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We really don't. People seem to be making the weirdest choices:

More Wario, but less Star Fox?

More Mario, but less Retro?

Krystal, but not Wolf or Falco?

Waluigi, but not Toad or Bowser Jr.?

Geno, but not any 1st party character?

Anthony Higgs, but not an actually relevant Metroid character? Like Ridley?

It's a huge orgy of weird choices.
Geno, cause he's awesome

Ridley is too big

majora_787

Smash Hero
Before you know it, the Mario & Luigi series starts to get discussed. The only Mario & Luigi reference that I can think of, that would work, is an alternate outfit for Bowser, which makes him look like Dark Bowser.
Bowser should have something to make him look like Dry Bowser by now. That'd be pretty slick.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I counted Paper Mario as it's own series, that's why I didn't list him with the Mario characters. (Kind of like how Yoshi, Donkey Kong, and Wario are diverged enough to be considered their own, semi-independent franchises.)
I don't agree. But I don't agree with Yoshi having his own series, either. I don't know what Sakurai was thinking. Yoshi's Story doesn't give him his own "series", just like Luigi's Mansion doesn't give Luigi his own series.

Paper Mario is very much a Mario series. It's just a spin-off RPG Mario series.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Geno, cause he's awesome

Ridley is too big
I'd try the common sense argument, but I have a strange feeling you'd be immune to it. ^_^

And yeah, as good as it is, Paper Mario is just a spin-off... u_u And I don't think it merits its own character. Yet.

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
I actually think the biggest thing against Ridley isn't his size, but how dark/evil he is. Other than Ganondorf, all the villains have a sense of childishness about they, Ridley is actually scary and extremely dark. I can see why Sakurai would rather him be a boss than a playable character.

Having said that, I REALLY REALLY want him as a playable character.

UberMario

Smash Master
I was thinking of an alternate outfit for Bowser from M&L, too, but it was this:

Dark Bowser would be cool, though.

SixWingedAsura

Banned via Warnings
Well, this is hugely biased coming from me, but I'd rather see more Zelda than Mario. I mean, there are like three, maybe four Zelda characters if you count Shiek/Zelda as two seperate characters. Midna would be okay I suppose if you're going to argue the whole female angle, but why not the three departed souls whom you possess in Majora's Mask? Sure, theoretically they were all "Link" but who says they can't be themselves? Mikau, Darmani and Deku (Did he even have a name?) And of course, Fierce Deity Link but that's just me being wishful. (Maybe as an alternate costume for Link? Or Assist Trophy? Either or would work for me.)

majora_787

Smash Hero
I actually think the biggest thing against Ridley isn't his size, but how dark/evil he is. Other than Ganondorf, all the villains have a sense of childishness about they, Ridley is actually scary and extremely dark. I can see why Sakurai would rather him be a boss than a playable character.

Having said that, I REALLY REALLY want him as a playable character.
Ganondorf is like than, and Snake is an M-rated character. Ridley is essentially the culmination of Ganon's evil, but in a less human form. And in all seriousness? Ridley is more dark than evil. He's almost more comparable to Wario than he is to Ganondorf, just doing whatever he darn right feels like doing.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
For those who think Ridley is too big, look at Medusa. She makes Ridley look like a dwarf.

And of course, if Bowser can have his size adjusted, it should be no different for Ridley.

Melee had 5 Super Mario series characters, but one of them was a clone; Dr. Mario. I don't see the harm of adding a new 5th Super Mario character into the mix, seeing as the Yoshi and Wario series' aren't getting anyone new.
Do not go there with Medusa.

Remember, Sakurai is the one who made Brawl and he's the one who made Uprising. Now, look at the description under Pit's Final Smash.

Palutena is a goddess, of course, she can manifest herself bigger than Ridley if she wanted to. Medusa is a goddess, too... so it wouldn't be farfetched to see her manifest herself bigger than Ridley if she wanted to.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Captain Syrup - I really doubt she will be playable. So, just because she returned 10 years after Wario Land 2, she's suddenly a worthy addition? She didn't do much in Shake It. I mean, really? So, the only thing she has going for her is that she is a RECURRING FEMALE VILLAIN? Being recurring isn't enough for her. She has only appeared in three games out of over a dozen Wario games. It is like adding Fawful just because he appeared in three games out of 50+ Mario games. Being a villain, okay, I can give you that, but she's just one of several villains of the Wario series... she's not even THE villain of the whole series like Bowser, Ganondorf, King K. Rool, and Medusa are in their respective series. As for being female, no, just no. Having a vajayjay and **** doesn't make a character any more unique than the other characters.
No I'm not saying that. She was the main villain in the two previous games. List some recurring villains for the Wario series then (Actually curious about this). There's a big difference between 3/12 vs 3/50+. Also she appeared in the main series, not a spin off like Fawful. King K. Rool didn't even appear in the latest DK game. I never said we should add characters just because they are female, I was saying if we add female characters they should be important to the series they came from (For example RECURRING Villain). Last, please tell me how Captain Syrup is not a unique character. :\

4nace

Smash Ace
Why are you guys so absorbed on a very trivial aspect of the final product - the roster...?

I am more interested in what Sakurai said about customization on the 3DS and its connection to the Wii U version. I am more interested in if they will allow us to 'build' our own version of Mario than who else from the Mario universe could make the cut.

I guess I am alone here though...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Do not go there with Medusa.

Remember, Sakurai is the one who made Brawl and he's the one who made Uprising. Now, look at the description under Pit's Final Smash.

Palutena is a goddess, of course, she can manifest herself bigger than Ridley if she wanted to. Medusa is a goddess, too... so it wouldn't be farfetched to see her manifest herself bigger than Ridley if she wanted to.
Yeah you're probably right about that. Gods and goddesses tend to overpower mortal space pirates anyway.

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
I think Medusa would be picked over Palutena if the had another Kid Icarus rep because

1) Palutena is already in Pit's final smash
2) Medusa would add another villain to the mix
3) Medusa would be the only female villain in the game

majora_787

Smash Hero
Ridley is cloned and altered to make him different sizes. He has excuses too. =\

ANYWAY, trying to avoid the size argument altogether. -_-

Ridley is, essentially, Wario. He isn't going for galactic conquest. He's not the sort of villain who buys out an entire chain of cookie production whatnot. He's like Wario; he just steals from the cookie jar whenever he feels like it, hungry or not.

The difference is, Ridley isn't afraid to leave a trail of blood to and from said cookie jar.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Why are you guys so absorbed on a very trivial aspect of the final product - the roster...?
"Trivial"? Psh. That's your opinion!

Besides, it's the most fun thing to speculate about.

SixWingedAsura

Banned via Warnings

I am more interested in what Sakurai said about customization on the 3DS and its connection to the Wii U version. I am more interested in if they will allow us to 'build' our own version of Mario than who else from the Mario version could make the cut.

Well, I've had an idea for character customization in that you have access to multiple moves (for instance say...three different Up+B's) and you can choose which one you want? Like say for Mario, you could customize him to maybe have his Up+B be FLUDD jetpack instead of Coin Uppercut. Or for Link, you could have Bomb Arrows or Fire Arrows. Things like that. Maybe that is what he means by customization from the 3DS?

majora_787

Smash Hero
Trivial? The roster?

Wow, boy have I been using mine wrong. All these years, I thought Smash Bros. was made to be fanservice combat between nintendo characters! Now I have been enlightened; the roster is the most trivial part of the entire game!

/moresarcasmthanthereiswaterinniagrafalls

refugee

Smash Journeyman

I am more interested in what Sakurai said about customization on the 3DS and its connection to the Wii U version. I am more interested in if they will allow us to 'build' our own version of Mario than who else from the Mario universe could make the cut.

If it wasn't for the roster, this series would of most likely died on the N64.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
When i heard about the customization of the 3DS I thought he just ment roster and levels. Since you can't have as big of selection on the 3DS you could select which characters and levels you want. I don't know how that would work with memory and programming but it makes sense.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think Medusa would be picked over Palutena if the had another Kid Icarus rep because

1) Palutena is already in Pit's final smash
2) Medusa would add another villain to the mix
3) Medusa would be the only female villain in the game
The only female that qualifies as an actual villain anyway.

Captain Syrup is more of a rival to Wario than an actual villain; similar to Wario's rivalry with Mario.

In a similar manner, Wolf isn't an actual villain either, but more of a rival to Fox.

Bowser is obviously a villain, but not a pure villain, since he has done anti-hero stuff. Basically, he's not truly evil.

Ganondorf is 100% pure evil, and pure villain as well. The only time he worked with his enemies was in a game that's not even Zelda canon.

majora_787

Smash Hero
The only female that qualifies as an actual villain anyway.

Captain Syrup is more of a rival to Wario than an actual villain; similar to Wario's rivalry with Mario.

In a similar manner, Wolf isn't an actual villain either, but more of a rival to Fox.

Bowser is obviously a villain, but not a pure villain, since he has done anti-hero stuff. Basically, he's not truly evil.

Ganondorf is 100% pure evil, and pure villain as well. The only time he worked with his enemies was in a game that's not even Zelda canon.
Ridley is more like a Ganondorf-dark antihero. His goal is to do whatever the hell he wants, especially if it goes against Samus and the GF. But it's not like he works toward any huge lofty goals of reigning over the world as a malevolent god of darkness.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Hey there ol' pal, welcome back to the hype!! :)

@Bassoonist: yes, speculation is lots of fun, even more exciting when it's officially revealed

:phone:
Yup.

Makes me wonder if the Smash Dojo will come back after this game gets its first trailer.

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
Lol, imagine Ridley vs Medusa on a Mario Galaxy level right now

*dies of happiness*

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yup.

Makes me wonder if the Smash Dojo will come back after this game gets its first trailer.
We've had a dojo since Melee. I bet we will get one.

And I have to avoid it as much as possible ;_; Cuz they spoil so much on the dojo...

Pit&Samus, Ridley&Medusa tagteam to the death on a Mario Galaxy level. Oh yes. :3

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
We've had a dojo since Melee. I bet we will get one.

And I have to avoid it as much as possible ;_; Cuz they spoil so much on the dojo...
But you know you won't be able to.

majora_787

Smash Hero
But you know you won't be able to.
I know. x_x After a while I'll have to talk myself into 'just looking at the pictures.' Then, 'just read the non-character articles.' Then I'll see an unfamiliar series and go, 'now I have to read through the character articles to find that series.'

D: It's a circle of PAIN AND MISERY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom