• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
How about the Genie Lamp, which takes you straight to the Star space where you can spend 20 coins for a star. :D

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's very true that this is not an absolute rule. But the very nature of almost every point of discussion here is based off of patterns or methods Sakurai has used already. Not to mention for fighting games the roster is decided extremely early in development, for almost each one of them. So I would not be surprised if this is the case as well.
Nor would I. Mind you, his finalization could have many changes or be incomplete. Like Brawl was. His finalization had Sonic out and the Forbidden 7 in, after all.

Not to say it is finalized now, it may not be. But it's more than likely that it is.
Maybe.

Still how can one count one Sakurai method but immediately discount another?
Unless he finalized 64 and Melee's roster from the start, it's a one-time thing. It's too hard to count and is just showing he's unpredictable.

The cool thing though is due to the old poll he knows how popular Dixie, K Rool, Geno, and Ridley are right? Wait was K Rool on that poll?
Yep. That does help. Geno's the only one I think might be looked over unless he can convince Square Enix or Nintendo buys all the rights to everything Super Mario RPG(they should and make a sequel, heh.)

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
SMRPG2 would rival SSB4 in all ways except replay value. No doubt in my mind.

Assuming it wouldn't stray far from how the first one was.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'm guessing that the roster has not been decided yet.

Smash has a lot more to it than characters so legal matters will target whole series rather than just specific characters, so I'm guessing that has a good amount of flexability to it (except for 3rd parties, which is anyone's guess). Sakurai at this point, other than common sense characters like Mario, has a large character pool in his head that he's slowing crossing off and maybe adding to as the development moves.

Fan input probably comes last and is used to help decide minor things like ATs, stages and music or "we have two characters and only a small amount of time, who's more popular?" I'm going to bet we won't see a poll until after we get a trailer if we get one at all. I see it as the main signal that the roster has been finalized.

The characters who don't need fan input and may be seen as "you can't have a sequel without them" and the common sense characters are the ones who we'll see in said trailer. If you ask me, for the newcomer this so far only applies to Little Mac, but what do I know.

Dark Yoghurt

Smash Cadet
I think they're the Pokemon BW2 gym leaders.

And I would be quite satisfied with a CGI only trailer at E3, but I'm skeptical about them putting that time into the trailer instead of the game itself. Or maybe they'll use a comic style (like in SSB64), and give us a comic-book style trailer with some character announcements and name of the game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm guessing that the roster has not been decided yet.

Smash has a lot more to it than characters so legal matters will target whole series rather than just specific characters, so I'm guessing that has a good amount of flexability to it (except for 3rd parties, which is anyone's guess). Sakurai at this point, other than common sense characters like Mario, has a large character pool in his head that he's slowing crossing off and maybe adding to as the development moves.

Fan input probably comes last and is used to help decide minor things like ATs, stages and music or "we have two characters and only a small amount of time, who's more popular?" I'm going to bet we won't see a poll until after we get a trailer if we get one at all. I see it as the main signal that the roster has been finalized.

The characters who don't need fan input and may be seen as "you can't have a sequel without them" and the common sense characters are the ones who we'll see in said trailer. If you ask me, for the newcomer this so far only applies to Little Mac, but what do I know.
I think the Brawl poll was to help reassure Sakurai that his Brawl roster was decent. Maybe the Brawl roster was like this:

1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Peach
4. Bowser
5. Donkey Kong
6. Diddy Kong
7. Yoshi
8. Wario
9. Link
10. Zelda / Sheik
11. Ganondorf
12. Toon Link
13. Samus / Zero Suit Samus
14. Pit
15. Ice Climbers
16. R.O.B.
17. Kirby
18. Meta Knight
19. King Dedede
20. Olimar
21. Fox
22. Falco
23. Wolf
24. Captain Falcon
25. Pikachu
26. Pokemon Trainer
27. Lucario
28. Plusle & Minun
29. Ike
30. Lucas
31. Snake
32. Random

After checking the Brawl poll, he liked the idea of a Diddy & Dixie team so he tried to add Dixie to Diddy. He also wanted to make the roster bigger so he added back the characters he cut and cut Wolf and Plusle & Minun.

CUT
- Wolf
- Plusle & Minun

ADD BACK
- Dr. Mario
- Jigglypuff
- Mewtwo
- Marth
- Roy
- Ness
- Mr. Game & Watch

ADD
- Dixie Kong
- Toon Zelda / Toon Sheik

Finally, the Sonic-less Brawl roster would have looked like this.

1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Peach
4. Bowser
5. Dr. Mario
6. Donkey Kong
7. Diddy Kong / Dixie Kong
8. Yoshi
9. Wario
10. Link
11. Zelda / Sheik
12. Ganondorf
13. Toon Link
14. Toon Zelda / Toon Sheik
15. Samus / Zero Suit Samus
16. Pit
17. Ice Climbers
18. R.O.B.
19. Kirby
20. Meta Knight
21. King Dedede
22. Olimar
23. Fox
24. Falco
25. Captain Falcon
26. Pikachu
27. Pokemon Trainer
28. Lucario
29. Jigglypuff
30. Mewtwo
31. Marth
32. Roy
33. Ike
34. Ness
35. Lucas
36. Mr. Game & Watch
37. Snake
38. Random

While Sakurai was still working on Dr. Mario, Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda / Toon Sheik, Mewtwo, and Roy... Nintendo and Sega agreed to have Sonic in Brawl so Sakurai stopped working on those characters and just added Sonic and then added back Wolf to bump the roster.

CUT
- Dr. Mario
- Dixie Kong
- Mewtwo
- Roy

ADD
- Sonic

ADD BACK
- Wolf

And that's how we got the final roster we have in Brawl.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
... I thought that was a black guy at first. I wish it was. Tan lines. Gross.
Those aren't tan lines... they are shadow lines. The arm is raised so it creates a shadow on his side. He clearly have pecs that it creates shadows under his pecs.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I think the Brawl poll was to help reassure Sakurai that his Brawl roster was decent. Maybe the Brawl roster was like this:

1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Peach
4. Bowser
5. Donkey Kong
6. Diddy Kong
7. Yoshi
8. Wario
9. Link
10. Zelda / Sheik
11. Ganondorf
12. Toon Link
13. Samus / Zero Suit Samus
14. Pit
15. Ice Climbers
16. R.O.B.
17. Kirby
18. Meta Knight
19. King Dedede
20. Olimar
21. Fox
22. Falco
23. Wolf
24. Captain Falcon
25. Pikachu
26. Pokemon Trainer
27. Lucario
28. Plusle & Minun
29. Ike
30. Lucas
31. Snake
32. Random

After checking the Brawl poll, he liked the idea of a Diddy & Dixie team so he tried to add Dixie to Diddy. He also wanted to make the roster bigger so he added back the characters he cut and cut Wolf and Plusle & Minun.

CUT
- Wolf
- Plusle & Minun

ADD BACK
- Dr. Mario
- Jigglypuff
- Mewtwo
- Marth
- Roy
- Ness
- Mr. Game & Watch

ADD
- Dixie Kong

Finally, the Sonic-less Brawl roster would have looked like this.

1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Peach
4. Bowser
5. Dr. Mario
6. Donkey Kong
7. Diddy Kong / Dixie Kong
8. Yoshi
9. Wario
10. Link
11. Zelda / Sheik
12. Ganondorf
13. Toon Link
14. Toon Zelda / Toon Sheik
15. Samus / Zero Suit Samus
16. Pit
17. Ice Climbers
18. R.O.B.
19. Kirby
20. Meta Knight
21. King Dedede
22. Olimar
23. Fox
24. Falco
25. Captain Falcon
26. Pikachu
27. Pokemon Trainer
28. Lucario
29. Jigglypuff
30. Mewtwo
31. Marth
32. Roy
33. Ike
34. Ness
35. Lucas
36. Mr. Game & Watch
37. Snake
38. Random

While Sakurai was still working on Dr. Mario, Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda / Toon Sheik, Mewtwo, and Roy... Nintendo and Sega agreed to have Sonic in Brawl so Sakurai stopped working on those characters and just added Sonic and then added back Wolf to bump the roster.

CUT
- Dr. Mario
- Dixie Kong
- Mewtwo
- Roy

ADD
- Sonic

ADD BACK
- Wolf

And that's how we got the final roster we have in Brawl.
So basically Sonic screwed the game ? if we didn't have the crappy blue hedgehog we would've had all those awesome characters ?

Dark Yoghurt

Smash Cadet
I really think Sonic was the worst character in the game, having Mario fight Sonic just like the old days of the mascots, I don't careeee, I'd actually love for the 3rd parties to go away, Snake doesn't fit IMO, and I don't care about his character, Sonic is worthless (better than Pichu though), just don't make them if it's at the expense of actual Nintendo characters.

But yeah Sakurai actually said a Capcom character could be in the next Smash (don't know if was really serious), so he might not have walked away from the Third Party stuff

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yes. And I am thankful for that. I would rather have one unique character than to have a bunch of clones. Quality over quantity!

Dark Yoghurt

Smash Cadet
Yeah you are right about that. But Mewtwo and Dixie Kong are unique as well (Diddy is unique now, but I don't play him personally, a tag team DKC playstyle would be nice), Sonic is a little bit too unique if you ask me haha, neh, he got alot of fan requests so I can understand Sakurai's decision. And I'd rather have more unique Nintendo characters instead of Third Parties, but yeah if it's a good thing to do fanbase-wise and commercialy... okay sure. Megaman could be a cool character, if they stick with 3rd parties.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Those aren't tan lines... they are shadow lines. The arm is raised so it creates a shadow on his side. He clearly have pecs that it creates shadows under his pecs.
No no no, look at his waist. That's a giant tan line. Look at his feet too. That's his normal skin color. They made him more tan than Hulk Hogan.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
He was so unique that he sucks the character moveset lack originality....
Either way, he is not a clone of anyone. That's good enough for me. Sonic fans wanted Sonic. Sonic haters said all he does is spin. Sonic haters were right but the Sonic fans were satisfied. It's a win-win. :awesome:

Dark Yoghurt

Smash Cadet
One time I randomly had a Ganondorf only marathon with a friend of mine, and now it's kinda cool to play as him =P But yeah, where are his dark magic energy balls, his sword(s)? I hope they change him in Sm4sh, but Sonic was just a worthless piece of **** (imo ^^)

Hoots

Can Be Combative
To be completely honest, anyone who actually wanted a Dixie/Diddy tag team is not a real fan of DKC. Just because they worked together, that would be like saying we should tack Diddy onto DK. And I love Dixie, but now that she doesn't have Diddy to justify her, she no longer has the legs to make it into Smash at all. Sorry Dixie fans.

:phone:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
No no no, look at his waist. That's a giant tan line. Look at his feet too. That's his normal skin color. They made him more tan than Hulk Hogan.
Ahh, I see it now... I thought it was part of his pants.... apparently not.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
well in terms of tier, and if you were some mid-core or casual player (which most fanbase is) why would you care about such thing, interm of movesets Sonic is the worst.

Ganondorf is the worst character in Brawl simply because he's still a goddamned C. Falcon clone. And he's *** too gameplay-wise. It's like they purposely made his sword taunt a *********. Like, "Yeah guise, we could have given you this awesome sword to play with, but... naaaaaaaah, maybe we'll just make him take it out occassionally, maybe next time?" :troll:

Sonic could have been better in Brawl but he ain't THE worst

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Either way, he is not a clone of anyone. That's good enough for me. Sonic fans wanted Sonic. Sonic haters said all he does is spin. Sonic haters were right but the Sonic fans were satisfied. It's a win-win. :awesome:
I used to be one of that miserable fanbase...thank goodness I'm not part of them anymore, it consist of a bunch of overgrown children, of course Sonic fans are satisfied but what about Nintendo fans ? (which is this game mainly targeted to) we weren't satisfied....

Dark Yoghurt

Smash Cadet
To be completely honest, anyone who actually wanted a Dixie/Diddy tag team is not a real fan of DKC. Just because they worked together, that would be like saying we should tack Diddy onto DK. And I love Dixie, but now that she doesn't have Diddy to justify her, she no longer has the legs to make it into Smash at all. Sorry Dixie fans.
without a DKC context, Diddy just seems like an irritating little monkey to me, Dixie could fix that, or some move changes (no frikkin bananas, no face-*****), he could get some moves from DK64... I don't know... probably most people are fine with him anyway :glare:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

It doesn't even begin to explain WHY anyone who supports a Kong team is NOT a real fan of the original Donkey Kong Country trilogy.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ

Ganondorf is the worst character in Brawl simply because he's still a goddamned C. Falcon clone. And he's *** too gameplay-wise. It's like they purposely made his sword taunt a *********. Like, "Yeah guise, we could have given you this awesome sword to play with, but... naaaaaaaah, maybe we'll just make him take it out occassionally, maybe next time?" :troll:

:jigglypuff: You'll never hear me protect Jiggz like this again, but she definatly deserves to be a tiny bit higher via tiers.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92

Someone who is a programmer, told me that clones are not made because they were lazy (it might still be the reason ) but it's because they didn't have enough memory for more characters....so they had to clone some and make adjustments a little bit on their movement to look less cloney and slap the skin of the other character over....but still I'm against the idea of clones.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I used to be one of that miserable fanbase...thank goodness I'm not part of them anymore, it consist of a bunch of overgrown children, of course Sonic fans are satisfied but what about Nintendo fans ? (which is this game mainly targeted to) we weren't satisfied....
A lot of Nintendo fans are also Sonic fans, too. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
How the weren't you satisfied? I am by no means a Sonic fanboy, but a unique character that is almost as legendary as Mario is a great addition. If you're talking about the characters cut for him, first off, I really don't know how true that whole assessment is. And even if it is, blame Sakurai for wasting countless resources on ****ty features that no one asked for, such as SSE, coin launcher, masterpieces, etc. Don't blame Sonic.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
How the weren't you satisfied? I am by no means a Sonic fanboy, but a unique character that is almost as legendary as Mario is a great addition. If you're talking about the characters cut for him, first off, I really don't know how true that whole assessment is. And even if it is, blame Sakurai for wasting countless resources on ****ty features that no one asked for, such as SSE, coin launcher, masterpieces, etc. Don't blame Sonic.

I personally liked Coin launcher better than how you got trophys back in Melee. What was the thing called?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well Sonic don't deserve me as a fan anymore, until they release the mother ****ing Sonic Adventure 3 with Chao garden and decent gameplay.... I won't buy another sonic game....
You weren't happy with Sonic Colors or Sonic Generations? I heard they were good.

I personally liked Coin launcher better than how you got trophys back in Melee. What was the thing called?
Lottery. It was called Lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom