• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Well really if that is bland and there is going to be a little bit of extra spice added, it would be a bit risky to try and predict the randomness of Sakurai. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if we get characters that we end up loving that no one here is even talking about. So really what we are doing with predicting is picking what is most suited and most likely, or as you put it, what is bland.

And thank you Oasis. I'd totally put Vaati over Tingle though. Those two match better even, just add a pint of gay (Ghirahim has some extra) and there you go.

P.S. I found more, after sacrificing the little remaining purity I had left. It was worth it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I can see the last two. But Rosalina doesn't stand out any more than Daisy at this point, really. They'd both to compete with eachother.

Jr. is pretty much the only competition with Toad.

Doctor Mario is clearly Waluigi's competition.

Paper Mario and Geno are all that's left, but really aren't competing with eachother.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Come. Join me Mario_and_Ghirahim_Guy. Join the SOS Brigade, which stands for Spreading Rainbows all Over the World and Stick our Tongues out Suggestively.
Haruhi-sama approves!

If it wasn't for this being so big then I wouldn't have collapsed it. PITY.
Fabulous.

Wolf felt kinda like an uninspired newcomer despite being a somewhat cool inclusion imo. At least his moveset was varied enough from the other two Starfurries.
He needs to be more like this guy:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@PsychoIncarnate: Oh believe me, I would actually appreciate it if Waluigi made it in as a playable. He's just lacking a mainstream game, and he better get one before he turns into an old geezer...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If Sakurai gave a crap about mainstream, we wouldn't have a Mario Kart stage and Waluigi an Assist Trophy before Rosalina. Yes, he beat out HER.

Sorry, no. Waluigi definitely is of higher importance than Rosalina when it comes to Smash. Not to mention a better chance.

Truthfully, the most likely ones I can see are honestly, in this exact order, Dr. Mario, Waluigi, Toad. The rest? Who knows, really. Paper Mario's possible, but doesn't show any signs. Bowser Jr. Nada. Geno? Actually has a chance, but that's only if Square allows him to go in with most likely one of their fully-owned IP's. (example, Breath of Fire) The rest pretty much are in the "eh, who knows" categories and just aren't notable enough. That isn't a common enemy that made some kind of appearance already, anyway.

Also, mainstream kind of implies that there's a Mario canon. And considering the spin-offs appear to be more popular than the regular... that kind of makes them mainstream, doesn't it? Also, Waluigi's already in a mainstream game. It's called Super Smash Bros.

D

Deleted member

I admit, if that rumor about Nintendo licensing old Square-Enix characters is true, then there's a chance it's about Geno, Mallow, and others from SMRPG. If that's the case, then Geno would be all but confirmed for Smash 4, sad to say (or at least for me to say).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
At least Rosalina was in two Mario platformers. If anything, the only reason Rosalina wasn't made an assist trophy is because there was enough time to throw in Galaxy references.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wouldn't say confirmed, but definitely in the "could easily happen".

But then, a lot of characters could've easily happened, like... Toon Sheik. So who knows, of course. :awesome:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ghirahim is cool, even though I don't necessarily want him in.

Baby DK is supposedly Donkey Kong. DK Jr, I believe, is regular DK's Father, perhaps.

I'm pretty sure Baby DK and DK Jr. are two different characters. Wait, DK Jr. is playable in Super Mario Kart right? If that's so, reverse what I said earlier. DK Jr. is Donkey Kong. Baby Donkey Kong eventually becomes DK's father.
Ugh... there is a reason Donkey Kong Jr. is not called Baby Donkey Kong or vice versa in Yoshi's Island DS or in Mario spin-off games.

Baby Mario is Mario as a baby.
Baby Luigi is Luigi as a baby.
Baby Peach is Peach as a baby.
Baby Daisy is Daisy as a baby.
Baby Yoshi is Yoshi as a baby.
Baby Wario is Wario as a baby.
Baby Bowser is Bowser as a baby.
Baby Donkey Kong is Donkey Kong as a baby.

Bowser Jr. is Bowser's son.
Donkey Kong Jr. is Donkey Kong's son.

Donkey Kong Jr. is NOT Donkey Kong as a baby.
Donkey Kong Jr. is NOT Cranky Kong as a baby.
Donkey Kong Jr. is NOT Donkey Kong's father.

Cranky Kong is Donkey Kong's father.
Cranky Kong is Donkey Kong Jr.'s grandfather.
Cranky Kong is an crazy senile old ape who lives vicariously through Donkey Kong's glorified life on the construction site.

Let's keep it simple, people!

D

Deleted member

How can Baby DK be DK if Mario was also a baby, and when Mario grows up, he faces DK Jr. (who is a baby at the time)?

And during that time, he faced off with Donkey Kong Sr., a.k.a. Cranky Kong.

How do you explain that paradox? By default, Baby DK is Cranky Kong.

Unless you're going to try and say that Cranky was lying about being the original Donkey Kong, and that the current DK is the same one that Mario first faced off with?
In which case, why would he not recognise Pauline, and instead, fall in love with her as if he never met her before?

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Man, I must suck at making cases for characters. THIS DEBATE HALL ICON IS A LIE. A LIE I TELL YOU.

More to the point, I thought there were inconsistencies on the accounts of who the DKs are (whatever the hell you guys are talking about) so there isn't actually a right answer for this.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Donkey Kong Jr. IS DK as a kid

Baby Donkey Kong is Donkey Kong Jr. as a baby

D

Deleted member

Donkey Kong Jr. IS DK as a kid

Baby Donkey Kong is Donkey Kong Jr. as a baby
One problem:
Donkey Kong Jr. is Cranky's son.
Donkey Kong is Cranky Kong's grandson.

And if Baby DK was Jr., then he was a baby for quite a long time while Mario grew up.

Only logical solution:
Baby DK is Cranky Kong (who then was known as Donkey Kong)
DK Jr. dissapeared to who knows where while his son, the current Donkey Kong grew up to be leader of DK Isle.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Why do you do this to yourselves.

Just say "Nintendo is full of ****" and be done with it.

I think I'll go watch Son of Godzilla.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Maybe Donkey Kong just stayed a kid for a long time

Or Mario had a mustache as a teenager

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I'm kinda loling from the salty oceans in IGN's Mario Tennis youtube review.

due to IGN's previous reviews of the game(hint: they were good), I'm pretty sure they have the right to say the sequel is flawed.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I admit, if that rumor about Nintendo licensing old Square-Enix characters is true, then there's a chance it's about Geno, Mallow, and others from SMRPG. If that's the case, then Geno would be all but confirmed for Smash 4, sad to say (or at least for me to say).
Luckily for you it is false, or EXTREMELY suspect at best.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I guess for fun and to keep on topic, I went ahead and did a stage concept that I mentioned I while back and have discussed with Star.

The stage itself is one giant spoiler, literally, so to be polite, I put it in a collapse tab.

[COLLAPSE="Spoiler"]

Based on not only the final chapter of Fire Emblem: Awakening, but the final boss as well, the evil dragon Gimle, makes his appearance as a new stage.

Overall a simple medium sized stage, here fighters fight on top of Gimle's back as he flies over the kingdoms of Iris, Peerisa and Varm over a sunset above the clouds. Zooming out you can see various locations in Awakening such as: The Great Tree of Mila, Rainbow Falls, and the ruins of the Dragon's Altar. You can also see just how large Gimle himself is.

Occationally, similar to the Combo Cannon (Halbard), Gimle will turn his head around and fire his dragon breath upon himself in an attempt to attack the fighters, it does a fair amount of damage with large knockback but is fairly easy dodge.

A mysterious shadowed figure in the background can also been seen giving out orders...

Stage Name: Gimle
Stage Icon: Falchion

Stage Example:
x_________x
(xxxxxxxxxxx)

Tracks:
Fire Emblem: Awakening - Mission~Fire
Fire Emblem: Awakening - "I" Because (Final Chapter)
Fire Emblem: Awakening - "I" Sorrow
Fire Emblem: Awakening - Nemesis
Fire Emblem: Awakening - Fate~Fire
Fire Emblem: Awakening - Expedition~Fire
Fire Emblem: Awakening - Formidable Foe
Fire Emblem: Awakening - I Shall Become Much Stronger
Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem - My Unit's Theme
Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War - Final Chapter - The Final Holy War
Fire Emblem - Unshakeable Faith
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - The Devoted (Greil Mercenaries Theme)
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance: Move Out! (Brawl Lost Track)[/COLLAPSE]

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
How can Baby DK be DK if Mario was also a baby, and when Mario grows up, he faces DK Jr. (who is a baby at the time)?

How do you explain that paradox? By default, Baby DK is Cranky Kong.
There is no paradox.

Yoshi's Island DS - the past
- Mario and Peach are babies. (Baby Mario and Baby Peach).
- Donkey Kong is a baby (Baby Donkey Kong).
- Bowser is a baby (Baby Bowser).

Donkey Kong/Mario Bros. Arcade Games - 1981-1984
- Mario grows up but he fathers no child with Peach.
- Donkey Kong grows up and hooks up with Candy Kong and becomes the father of Donkey Kong Jr. His father Cranky Kong is proud of Donkey Kong for fighting Mario.
- Bowser grows up but he fathers no child yet.

Super Mario Bros. Games - 1985-1989
- Mario and Peach are still childless.
- Donkey Kong becomes estrangled from Donkey Kong Jr. Cranky Kong still babbles over the Mario vs. Donkey Kong event.
- Bowser starts kidnapping Peach and becomes the father of Bowser Jr. in secret.

Super Mario World/64 and Donkey Kong Country Games - 1990-2000
- Donkey Kong becomes close to his nephew, Diddy Kong. Donkey Kong Jr. spends time away from DK Island and spends more time in Mushroom Kingdom participating in kart races and tennis matches. Cranky Kong becomes too obsessed with Donkey Kong's construction site days that he thinks he fought Mario in his younger days.
- Bowser tells Bowser Jr. lies about Mario and Peach.

Super Mario Sunshine/Galaxy and Donkey Kong Country Returns - 2001-present
- Donkey Kong is still spending time with Diddy Kong but they are often seen in Mushroom Kingdom than in DK Island. Donkey Kong Jr. is never seen or heard of since then.
- Bowser reveals his son Bowser Jr. to the world. Bowser Jr. annoys everyone to no end.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Does THIS look like the body of a (gorilla)woman who gave birth?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I guess for fun and to keep on topic, I went ahead and did a stage concept that I mentioned I while back and have discussed with Star.

The stage itself is one giant spoiler, literally, so to be polite, I put it in a collapse tab.

[COLLAPSE="Spoiler"]

Based on not only the final chapter of Fire Emblem: Awakening, but the final boss as well, the evil dragon Gimle, makes his appearance as a new stage.

Overall a simple medium sized stage, here fighters fight on top of Gimle's back as he flies over the kingdoms of Iris, Peerisa and Varm over a sunset above the clouds. Zooming out you can see various locations in Awakening such as: The Great Tree of Mila, Rainbow Falls, and the ruins of the Dragon's Altar. You can also see just how large Gimle himself is.

Occationally, similar to the Combo Cannon (Halbard), Gimle will turn his head around and fire his dragon breath upon himself in an attempt to attack the fighters, it does a fair amount of damage with large knockback but is fairly easy dodge.

A mysterious shadowed figure in the background can also been seen giving out orders...

Stage Name: Gimle
Stage Icon: Falchion

Stage Example:
x_________x
(xxxxxxxxxxx)

Tracks:
Fire Emblem: Awakening - Mission~Fire
Fire Emblem: Awakening - "I" Because (Final Chapter)
Fire Emblem: Awakening - "I" Sorrow
Fire Emblem: Awakening - Nemesis
Fire Emblem: Awakening - Fate~Fire
Fire Emblem: Awakening - Expedition~Fire
Fire Emblem: Awakening - Formidable Foe
Fire Emblem: Awakening - I Shall Become Much Stronger
Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem - My Unit's Theme
Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War - Final Chapter - The Final Holy War
Fire Emblem - Unshakeable Faith
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - The Devoted (Greil Mercenaries Theme)
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance: Move Out! (Brawl Lost Track)[/COLLAPSE]
Dangit, I'm never going to be able to do a Fire Emblem stage at this rate. lol

Great job, the only thing is I do not like the choice of the sorrow song. Personally I think another would be better.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Dangit, I'm never going to be able to do a Fire Emblem stage at this rate. lol

Great job, the only thing is I do not like the choice of the sorrow song. Personally I think another would be better.
Sorry... :(
(Although to be fair I'm jealous of your Uprising stage lol)

Songs were tough since I haven't played the game yet, that and the names kept being switched around, so I'm always looking for more ideas. I did borrow some from Dragon's Altar, so I'm going to back later and change them around.

I did a screen capture to get the pics, although they're not very good as the game has yet to be properly recorded on video.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Truthfully, GY, after what you said to me, I had a brain fart. I'd like to talk more about it, but... I can't.

Anyway, it'd be nice if Nintendo cleared up that crap.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Sorry... :(
(Although to be fair I'm jealous of your Uprising stage lol)

Songs were tough since I haven't played the game yet, that and the names kept being switched around, so I'm always looking for more ideas. I did borrow some from Dragon's Altar, so I'm going to back later and change them around.

I did a screen capture to get the pics, although they're not very good as the game has yet to be properly recorded on video.
I kid man, my two main ideas were either the dragon concept or an arena concept. My original inspiration, or what I think of anyways, was this:

http://youtu.be/6onpDQgBuEc?t=5s

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
That guy from NeoGAF ended up backtracking when I pressed him on his "Sakurai SAID Dixie Kong alone was not worthy for playable status." He then made a snide remark at me for overrating Dixie Kong's chances.
That's what you get for arguing at sites run by idiots. :laugh: But for real, if he said that and gave good arguments like most of us here do, people who listen to him.
Debating with logic and arguing with silly "points" is what separates the smart debaters from the stupid arguers.
The sad thing is that people like him bully others into accepting his opinion, and what's worse, is that those people practically live in that topic which means that they will never stop debating you unless you eventually decide to shut up.
Thus we have the root of all bullying issues. Here, however, you "win" reputation by providing good arguments and interesting points (over time).
So what's better: NeoGAF or Gamefaqs?
That's like choosing between hell and purgatory. I'll choose purgatory... and NeoGAF.
Best idea I've heard all day. @Johnknight1
That's because Cranky Kong's moveset (as an Assist Trophy character) writes itself.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I kid man, my two main ideas were either the dragon concept or an arena concept. My original inspiration, or what I think of anyways, was this:

http://youtu.be/6onpDQgBuEc?t=5s
I see, so it's been done in RPGs before. That's cool.

Although looking at some of the Awakening cutscenes and chapters, Felia Colosseum (Chapter 4), the first chapter you meet "Marth" and who's also the boss of the chapter. So just another idea for ya. :3

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Oasis, collapse that ugly furry crap. It's creeping me out bro! :urg: :facepalm: :ohwell:
I wonder what the reaction would be if Smash 4 indeed only had nine newcomers. I think if Sakurai made an announcement at the beginning of development that Smash 4 would have less new characters add to it than any other Smash Bros. installment to date, we would be looking at vastly increased hostility to most prospective newcomers due to the scarcity of newcomers.
Nine is low number of newcomers (unless this doesn't include transformations). However, I doubt many of us are expecting as many added slots as in Melee or Brawl. Melee added 14 slots, and Brawl added 13 slots. If we got 12 added slots, that would perhaps surpass most people's expectations, minus the silly kids who expect a trillion characters. :laugh:
Wolf felt kinda like an uninspired newcomer despite being a somewhat cool inclusion imo. At least his moveset was varied enough from the other two Starfurries.
I think Wolf's moveset was pretty good. He plays like how he is: cool, assertive, and awesome. Plus his stance and movement is awesome. :cool: Wolf in Project M is even better. :shades:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I see, so it's been done in RPGs before. That's cool.

Although looking at some of the Awakening cutscenes and chapters, Felia Colosseum (Chapter 4), the first chapter you meet "Marth" and who's also the boss of the chapter. So just another idea for ya. :3
That was my original idea, until I discovered the dragon. The dragon idea is too good to pass up. I'll just bow out of the FE race.

Put this in your stage concept in place of Sorrow and you're good.
http://youtu.be/jtnkiJ1oFlA

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Sweet! Just got an awesome (virtual!) present from my aunt, who's always sending me good stuff! :shades:
So if Cranky is DK's grandfather...
whatever happened to DK Jr.? People say that DK Jr. is DK, but at the same time, that'd make Cranky his father, not grandfather...
And then there's Baby DK, who is he? Cranky? DK?
Geez, my head hurts.
Crank Kong according to some sources is DK's grandfather, and others, DK's father. Rare and Nintendo both have come out and said both at various occasions.

A simple solution for Nintendo would be simply say "screw this, Cranky is DK's father (who is the original DK Jr.), and the current/new DK Jr. is DK's son and Crank's grandson." :laugh:

Also, that's a great stage idea Triple Dash. However, I must say I would prefer a non-last boss-ish stage for Fire Emblem, but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom