• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Exactly. That would also explain why a lot of Nintendo's franchises like Starfox and F-Zero haven't seen new games in years. Mario games are always a safe bet no matter what kind of Mario game it is.
Pretty much. I still like to laugh at Capcom though.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I"m just kind laughing at Capcom because they are getting ready to take a big fall. They killed off the Megaman franchise, their "bread and butter" fighting games are starting to stagnate, it won't be long until they run Resident Evil into the ground, and every new IP they create seems to bomb. Lol
Don't forget that Resident Evil 5 turned off many Resident Evil fans, Viewtiful Joe has been forgotten, Devil May Cry is now officially going to the crapper (more on that below), Okami has disappeared, and Lost Planet went to hell quickly. Heck, it seems every new Capcom IP within the last 10 years has either disappeared, gone to the crapper after a good start, or was awful to begin with.

Plus after Street Fighter and the Capcom/Street Fighter crossover games long hiatus, now we're getting a game a year, a remade/re-release a year, and overpriced DLC twice a month. It's like with Street Fighter and Capcom/Street Fighter crossover games we either get too much or nothing. Capcom also doesn't fix glitches in previous versions of the games, instead opting to re-release the game to get $43 off of you after getting $65 off of you, and all that money in DLC.

The new Devil May Cry is gonna suck. *rant incoming* The new Devil May Cry developer of the series' take on the series (even if non-canon) looks terrible. It probably will be worse than Devil May Cry 2. Also, Dante's new look is absolute garbage. He went from something of a bad a** to a little emo girl. :mad: :urg: :facepalm:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@ Broken Heart at Dusk
Those fighting games area all traditional fighting games. Smash is far from traditional. Smash is also not like those games, even the crossover fighting games, because it includes elements of various 2D side scrolling Nintendo games (most noticeably platformers).

Trust me, the next 2 smash games will sell like hot cakes. Most people have mentally categorized smash in it's own little category.

Plus, Smash Bros' rivals (PlayStation All-Stars, TMNT Smash, that Cartoon Network fighting game) is all just (trash) copies of it that don't compare to it.

It's like trying to compare Gran Turismo to your redneck 4 year old cousin racing drunken hamsters!

:rotfl:
It makes sense to put Smash in its own group. Yes, it's a fighting game, but it behaves so different that it created a subgenre of its own. Playstation All-Stars may be the first game to seriously challenge it.

Don't forget that Resident Evil 5 turned off many Resident Evil fans, Viewtiful Joe has been forgotten, Devil May Cry is now officially going to the crapper (more on that below), Okami has disappeared, and Lost Planet went to hell quickly. Heck, it seems every new Capcom IP within the last 10 years has either disappeared, gone to the crapper after a good start, or was awful to begin with.

The new Devil May Cry is gonna suck. *rant incoming* The new Devil May Cry developer of the series' take on the series (even if non-canon) looks terrible. It probably will be worse than Devil May Cry 2. Also, Dante's new look is absolute garbage. He went from something of a bad a** to a little emo girl. :mad: :urg: :facepalm:
Again, let's look at the big picture of things. VJ and Okami were never big titles. In fact, Okami was what caused Clover Studios to shut down because it bombed despite being a critically acclaimed game. That being said, don't forget about Okami-Den that came out last year. For RE5, I don't think that game really expanded on what was done by RE4 and some felt it was too similar to the recently released Gears of War. Let's see what happens with RE6.

I'm not trying to defend Capcom here. I'm just saying that we have to look at the whole context behind all these decisions.

And I think DMC looks dumb, but it looks like it plays fine.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Yeah, VJ and Okami weren't even close to being considered flagship titles for Capcom.

Also, I'm not a fan of the new art style for DMC but I can deal with it if the gameplay is as crazy and polished as other DMC titles.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah. But then again, it depends if they're interesting. Final Destination is very borderline, as its original name is Final Stage in SSB64, so technically it could count, as the new version is quite different in size and background. But eh.
Final Destination is smash original, which doesn't count in my book. Plus no one cares about the smash bros. story... :bee:
It makes sense to put Smash in its own group. Yes, it's a fighting game, but it behaves so different that it created a subgenre of its own. Playstation All-Stars may be the first game to seriously challenge it.
It looks awful so far. You have to do a "super move" to win. There is no HP bar, damage percentage, or any of that! :facepalm:
Hopefully that changes.
Again, let's look at the big picture of things. VJ and Okami were never big titles. In fact, Okami was what caused Clover Studios to shut down because it bombed despite being a critically acclaimed game.
See, while I agree that Okami was never big (VJ was pretty big initially, but the hype died down after lackluster releases), Capcom can always release budget future entries in the series. You know, a $25 DLC only game. Or a 3DS, PlayStation Vita, or PC release game. Although no one owns a Vita! :laugh:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^ It's decent at best. Honestly, I only remember the simple details, like the hands, Metal Mario (and Weegee), the fighting (whatever) teams, Giga Bowser, and Tabuu. :bee:
For RE5, I don't think that game really expanded on what was done by RE4 and some felt it was too similar to the recently released Gears of War.
Resident Evil 5 is worse than RE4 in everything. Story, gameplay, areas (lol linear), AI (damn Sheeba!), weapon system, etc. RE5 is a bad RE4-Gears of War mashup.
I'm not trying to defend Capcom here. I'm just saying that we have to look at the whole context behind all these decisions.
I get it. You're defending Capcom! (kidding) :laugh: But for realZs, Capcom has done stupid moves. Too soon re-releases, not spacing out releases of fighting games, and not giving folks who bought the original edition a discount on the next one (instead giving everyone a discount; seriously, if I spend $60 on a game only for it to be re-released and fixed in the next release for $40, I should have to pay no more than $20). Seriously, I will not invest $150 in Street Fighter X Tekken and it's turbo edition. Thus, it's not worth buying. :glare:
And I think DMC looks dumb, but it looks like it plays fine.
I still think it reminds me too much of the weak parts of Devil May Cry 4. It has a distinct Devil May Cry 2 smell too it IMO. Plus my "gut meter" is going off in regards to it. :ohwell:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
The smash bros. story is cool.
Yup! Short, simple and intense enough to not require dialogues.
I hope it will be the same even for the next game. I learned from Oscar's Oasis that, with a decent mimic, you don't need words to explain a story.
I know some people here don't give a **** about the story mode, but every one has to admit there has been a crescendo from Melee to Brawl and I'm expecting it to keep the same curve.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I saw the giraffe before, but not the other thing. Can't unsee it.

Yup! Short, simple and intense enough to not require dialogues.
I hope it will be the same even for the next game. I learned from Oscar's Oasis that, with a decent mimic, you don't need words to explain a story.
I know some people here don't give a **** about the story mode, but every one has to admit there has been a crescendo from Melee to Brawl and I'm expecting it to keep the same curve.
Calling Brawl's Adventure Mode an improvement is debatable at best.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Brazil really loves El Chavo. In Mexico they replaced the original El Chavo with the crappy cartoon version without the blasphemous puns and smoking Don Ramon.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Brazil really loves El Chavo. In Mexico they replaced the original El Chavo with the crappy cartoon version without the blasphemous puns and smoking Don Ramon.
The television station that broadcasts El Chavo here in Brazil,already tried to replaced it in a lot of times,but one or two weeks after,El Chavo returns to the programation.

Yeah,a large number of Brazilians likes El Chavo.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I saw the giraffe before, but not the other thing. Can't unsee it.

Calling Brawl's Adventure Mode an improvement is debatable at best.
If you prefer something more linear like it was in Brawl (eccept for the Zelda's labirint part. I loved that one), yes, it's debatable. Personally, I liked how the Subspace Emissary story mode looked like an old NES platform game but with Wii's graphic and cutscenes.
if you think it can be better, more complex, with different endings and more unlockable features, yes it can. But beat the enemies has to remain the focus of the game.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
The kind with the crushed up Oreos isn't bad either.

I like those ice cream sandwiches that are made of like two M&M cookies.

I didn't realize I was such a cookie guy...

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Well I could make it into innuendo.
We need to make peace,at least we are neighboring countries.

And I think Argentina is a great place,my uncle visits Argentina every month to buy some things and review some friends.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I was just talking to a Mexican friend about how awful Argentinians are.

Oh... wait... is AR the abbreviation for Argentina? Lol. Suddenly what you said makes sense.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I was just talking to a Mexican friend about how awful Argentinians are.

Oh... wait... is AR the abbreviation for Argentina? Lol. Suddenly what you said makes sense.
So...
all that my speech was not used to anything?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
So...
all that my speech was not used to anything?
Sorry, I'm American. OH WAIT, I'M NOT SORRY FOR THAT.

USA! USA!

I hear them Argentinians think they're Europeans or something. Not even the COOL kind of Europeans. That is to say, the Finnish ones. I mean, they don't even use the same electrical outlets as their neighboring countries. Jerks.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It is Arkansas.

I did not think having an Arkansas-shaped Borat in my photobucket would ever get used again.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If you prefer something more linear like it was in Brawl (eccept for the Zelda's labirint part. I loved that one), yes, it's debatable. Personally, I liked how the Subspace Emissary story mode looked like an old NES platform game but with Wii's graphic and cutscenes.
if you think it can be better, more complex, with different endings and more unlockable features, yes it can. But beat the enemies has to remain the focus of the game.
There are some basic, but dramatic changes that could make it a lot of better.

1. Break up the storyline into perspectives. Like in BlazBlue, you see only that character's side of the story. Maybe even include branches so you can get joke/bad endings.
2. Every character's storyline focuses on character interaction with action in between to keep the pacing up.
3. Let the storylines merge at a certain point and you obtain more freedom on who your "team" is at this point.
4. Let the characters talk, for God's sake. That's one of the biggest killers of the SSE.
5. Keep the levels interesting. SSE's levels were absolutely boring. There were no real puzzles and it wasn't really branching as it was ultimately about getting from point A to point B.
6. NO CRAPTASTIC ORIGINAL ENEMIES!
7. Put some freaking strategy into the bosses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom