• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I love that song, I can't wait for DQ X themes though.

:phone:
I'm thinking about revising my Dragon Quest stage concept. Changing it to "Astoldia"; the new world from Dragon Quest X. There is enough information for me to already come up with an idea of how it can be utilized as a stage.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Regarding Slime's chances, didn't he appear in Mario Sports Mix and doesn't he and Mario have some kind of game crossover coming up? I think those two alone would put Slime in an excellent position to be in Smash 4...

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I'm thinking about revising my Dragon Quest stage concept. Changing it to "Astoldia"; the new world from Dragon Quest X. There is enough information for me to already come up with an idea of how it can be utilized as a stage.
Hey, that would be nice, some new incorporation would be suitable for it since DQ X just got announced.

Regarding Slime's chances, didn't he appear in Mario Sports Mix and doesn't he and Mario have some kind of game crossover coming up? I think those two alone would put Slime in an excellent position to be in Smash 4...

Indeed he does, he appeared in Mario Sports Mix and will appear in Fortune Street as well.

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
Nice concept :) At first I imagine it to be somewhat of a Luigis Mansion and I like the enemy and ship cameos
The cameos I thought of were some popluar FF and DQ characters battling it out. Maybe they could appear every now and then among the enemies
I thought of the idea when thinking which characters would end up as ATs for each company. Oherwise I see Chocobo as one if only Slime makes it and vice versa

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

Slime has three games where he has crossed over with Mario:

Itadaki Street DS
Mario Sports Mix
and the upcoming Fortune Street

Slime also has his own series, three games in total.

Slime Mori Mori
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
and the upcoming Slime Mori Mori 3 (Rocket Slime 2 3DS)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
HURM. Y'know, only three stages appeared in the Brawl trailer: Battlefield, Castle Siege, and Halberd. I wonder what we'll get next time. I guess Battlefield may be a bit obvious, but those other two were kind of random.

Bowser's Castle, maybe? :awesome:

Watch only Final Destination be revealed. Starphoenix will go crazy.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Ah, I see. So, earlier you mentioned that Nintendo could use Slime in Smash as a way to promote Dragon Quest, I could definitely see that, as IIRC, they used Marth and Roy in Melee as a way to promote Fire Emblem in the West, and Smash has been known to make certain characters well-known when they otherwise wouldn't be (case and point: Ness).

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
HURM. Y'know, only three stages appeared in the Brawl trailer: Battlefield, Castle Siege, and Halberd. I wonder what we'll get next time. I guess Battlefield may be a bit obvious, but those other two were kind of random.

Bowser's Castle, maybe? :awesome:

Watch only Final Destination be revealed. Starphoenix will go crazy.
It depends upon how they innovate Final Destination.

Ah, I see. So, earlier you mentioned that Nintendo could use Slime in Smash as a way to promote Dragon Quest, I could definitely see that, as IIRC, they used Marth and Roy in Melee as a way to promote Fire Emblem in the Westen world, and Smash has been known to make certain characters well-known when they otherwise wouldn't be (case and point: Ness).

Right. The only advantage would be because of the series already existing prominence in Japan. It borders on cult status in Japan. In fact, Sakurai himself is a fan of the series. He even recently commented on Dragon Quest X's change in direction due to the questioning of an individual on his Twitter page. So having a Dragon Quest character in the next Super Smash Bros would be a big deal over in Japan that would likely be met with mostly positive response.

So advertisement would not really be directed towards them as much as in the West. He would be more of a surprising pick. Ultimately though I feel Slime would go over better than Solid Snake. Because there isn't anything inherent within Slime or his series that conflicts with the Nintendo image. He is bright, colorful, cute, but also capable of bringing something unique to the game itself. Sure, a lot of the questions would be, as they are now, "how can he fight?" But Mario Sports mix showed how flexible his body is, which means him stretching and warping his body would not be out of place. He is able to hold things and lift large items over his body. He has magical properties that can give him zoning abilities. He can also summon other members from the Slime family which can be implemented within his moveset. Slime has a lot to work with for those that are willing to think outside of the box. It isn't the same situation as Mr. Saturn, which is commonly used as a rebuttal to Slime.

All in all he stands a greater chance because of Nintendo's commitment to this series. I could see Nintendo being the one in this case to push for it first. Not saying it would or will happen that way. Just saying I can see it given the circumstances.

Fun Fact: Dragon Quest III is apparently Sakurai's favorite DQ game.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It's funny when you suggest a DQ hero might get in over Slime. Slime would be way more interesting. Surely Sakurai would agree. :awesome:

D

Deleted member

Metal Overlord said:
Perhaps I'm overstating his chances, but I think Slime is slightly above 50%, especially if it's true that Dragon Quest will remain a Nintendo-exclusive. With the relationship with Dragon Quest and Nintendo, something might happen.

OmegaXXII

Hey guys, I'm gonna be out on vacation, I feel really sick, anyway I'll see you guys in a few days.

I also want the Dragon Quest Hero for some reason. :)

For me...

In terms of chances

Mega Man 75%
Ryu 70%
Slime 55%
Layton 45%
Ryu H. 35%

Phoenix Wright 101% :troll:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Speaking of percents. Here is how I statistically analyze third party characters chances. Maybe some of you will find it interesting.

Starting off each characters chances are split 50-50. Each half represents the chance that the character may or may not appear. Then I split one of those halves individually based upon the variables that exist within the company or series. For example, Slime. When you factor in the possibility of a Final Fantasy character and the hero from the Dragon Quest series it leaves us with 12.5% before rounding to the next whole number. Therefore if there was a pie chart it would exist as follows.

Slime:
Not appearing - 50%
Final Fantasy selected - 25%
Slime - 13%
Hero - 11%

Final Fantasy fares even worse when compared to Dragon Quest because of the amount of character within the series. The highest and character can have is any number less than 25%.

Just my fun little attempt at statistics. Thus is not supposed to represent anything scientific or accurate.

D

Deleted member

In terms of chances for third-party characters, this is how I rate some of them:

Mega Man: 67%
Slime: 55%
Professor Layton: 45%
Ryu: 40%
Ryu Hayabusa: 30%
Pac-Man: 25%
Tails: 20%
Cloud: 10%
Phoenix Wright: 10%
Travis Touchdown: 5%
Sora: 0%

It is interesting how Starphoenix analyze third-party chances. Maybe I'll give it a go with Capcom reps.

And for kicks, I'll rate the characters I actively support:

Victini: 74%
King K. Rool: 82%
Ridley: 87%
Ray: 58%
Saki Amamiya: 77%
Starfy: 72%
Mewtwo: 50%
Lip: 45%
Isaac: 78%
Takamaru: 85%
Deoxys: 15%
Little Mac: 86%

OmegaXXII

Lol. at Cloud having 10% and Sora has none, it's the opposite way around since Sora has actually been on a Nintendo platform, so his chances go to 5% at most.

D

Deleted member

Lol. at Cloud having 10% and Sora has none, it's the opposite way around since Sora has actually been on a Nintendo platform, so his chances go to 5% at most.

Well to be fair, both have appeared on Nintendo platforms. Cloud gets a 10% because of his stupid fan base that will scream and beg for him despite there being more worthy reps come post-E3 2012. Sora gets a 0% because of the messy licensing issues that will ensure with Disney and Square Enix to get him in and I am confident that Nintendo will not consider going through the trouble to get him in with him not being a popular request anymore and best games being on Sony platforms.

D

Deleted member

That sounds a lot like Shadow's situation. lol

There are quite a few candidates that could potentially be the "Geno of SSB4", AKA very unlikely characters that get a ton of support but doesn't make the cut. One of them is Cloud and Shadow. Travis Touchdown would also make for a great "Geno of SSB4".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom