• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie 13: Organization XIII Mafia ~Town Wins!~

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
1.) Shadow Moth**
2.) SangfroidWarrior**
3.) Panta
4.) pheonix561
5.) gargaglione
6.) Budget Player Cadet_**
7.) Werekill**
8.) Zen (IC)
9.) th3kuzinator (IC)**

Posting this on the next page for reminder.

Panta

Smash Cadet
/confirming

Are roles randomized? Like... are the bad people in the flavor going to be Mafia or could they be town too?

I saw a game where it was Superheroes and Villains and well... someone claimed Superman (which he was) and won the game because the roles were randomized and Superman was actually scum.

What is this flavor from? Sounds interesting. :c

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
1.) Shadow Moth**
2.) SangfroidWarrior**
3.) Panta**
4.) pheonix561
5.) gargaglione**
7.) Werekill**
8.) Zen (IC)
9.) th3kuzinator (IC)**

Waiting on Zen/Pheonix to post.

@Panta: All the roles were randomized as in VT/Doc/Nurse/Cop/Sheriff/mafia Goon/Mafia Roleblocker, but I will not divulge anything about the flavour of the game. Besides that it's a super awesome game.

SangfroidWarrior

Smash Journeyman
I really can't wait for this game to start. I am so anxious.

So, in order to waste some time, why don't we newbies get to know each other as well as some of the veterans that will be playing this game.

Just a general question for any of you: How long have you been playing mafia for, if at all? And, what got you into playing mafia in the first place? Also, have you mostly played it online or in person?

For me, I just got started really playing mafia, but I have been playing it for a couple of months at least. J first introduced me to mafia at an anime club held at our library but I couldn't get into it because I was always town and never anything special. He said it was so I could get more into the game >.> But, the thing that really got me into playing mafia was a card/board game my friend brought into school called Lupus in Tabula. Exactly the same as mafia, but with different names for the baddies. So, I've mostly been playing it in person. I'm not really a noob to mafia in general, but I am a noob to it online. Since I've gotten good at deducing facial expressions, I'm in a completely different area from what is comfortable to me.

Oh, and I've been told that I should also state that I'm a girl. I don't know what that has to do with anything but I look forward to this game as well as getting to know you all better.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
What I was getting at is that someone telling you something implies that you've had conversation with a party outside the game.

I figured it was with J, though, because I don't know why any of your scum mates would have told you to tell us you were a girl haha, so its no biggie.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
That aside, hello I'm Kuz one of your ICs. Nice to see so many new faces to dGames. I hope you'll enjoy mafia as much as the regulars here do and stick around for the normal scene after this game is done.

@SW: I also started playing mafia in person and getting to learn the game through facial expressions. You'll have to re-learn the game a bit through analyzing posts this time around. A small pointer that I'll tell you now to help speed up the process is to not always judge a player by what you see on the surface of their post, but try to gauge the intent behind what someone is saying. Someone could be saying very stupid things but have good intentions behind their posts so its sometimes good not to take things at face value.

With that in mind you should become familiar with the mindset that the different factions have.

Town aren't normally concerned about pure survival and have to actually find mafia. If they die they know they can still win if their factions overall wins.

Mafia are more interested in staying alive and have to do so by pretending to find mafia.

The two things you should take from that is that mafia will usually be way more worried about survival/dying than town and mafia trying to find scum may seem in-genuine in their methods to find scum. Try to figure out which side a player's intent falls on when reading a player. As a player improves he is obviously able to mask his true intent much easier and thus this tactic might not always work on experienced players such as Zen and myself in this case, but its always something to keep in mind.

I came to dGames in last August I believe and have been playing actively ever since then so around 11 months. Since then I have played in 29 full games of mafia to completion.

Some more general information coming before we start.

SangfroidWarrior

Smash Journeyman
@th3kuzinator Yeah, it was J. But it was just a general, joking conversation about me being nervous playing an online game and not knowing pretty much anything about online mafia, since it seems to be much different from what I'm used to playing. The only mafia I've played is in person... plus I'm more of a gamer than anything else so I don't know what most emoticons or shortened expressions mean.

@Gova Yeah, I figured as much. ;)

SangfroidWarrior

Smash Journeyman
And thanks for those tips. They should come in handy, although I'm pretty sure I shouldn't expect those exact reasonings from an IC, especially with 29 games under your belt.

Panta

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know the anime/manga that this flavor is from? Might come in handy given J's cryptic sidestep about the roles.

A mass nameclaim (not roleclaim) may prove beneficial during the game.

Also, J is a girl? :O

I first played Mafia at the end of year party 2 years ago. I recently read a SSBB flavored Mafia on another forum I frequent and it renewed my interest in the game as well as Smash Brothers. I have played a total of 0 Mafia Games so... lol

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Don't edit your posts once the Day starts!

Some General Info:

[collapse=Acronyms] AFAIK: As Far As I Know
AtE: Appeal to Emotion
Coasting: The act of a player cruising through the game without providing much content, intentionally or unintentionally.
EBWOP: Edit By Way Of Post. Because actual editing of posts in mafia games is forbidden, the only way to "edit" a post which contains an error is to make another post containing the correction.
IC: Inexperience Challenged.
ISO: To read in Isolation.
IGMEOY: I've Got My Eye On You.
FoS: Finger of Suspicion. Used to indicate that you find someone suspicious but are not going to vote them, for whatever reason (often because you are voting for someone even more suspicious). Cf. HOS, the somewhat more dramatic Hand of Suspicion (very rare).
L-1: Lynch minus one, The second-to-last vote before a lynch is obtained.
L-#: Lynch - number, The number indicates how many votes a player needs to be lynched. Eg, in a 9 player game, a player with 3 votes on him is at L-2 (5-3).
Lurking: Purposefully viewing the thread without posting to observe the game without chiming it. Tactic often used by scum.
LYLO: Lynch-Or-Lose = A stage in the game where the town must lynch scum or they will lose the game
MYLO: Mislynch and Lose = A stage in the game where the town can no-lynch safely. However, should they mislynch instead, it is likely one of the town will die the next night, resulting in a scum victory.
NK: Night Kill.
OMGUS: Oh My God! You Suck!. Usually used in the context of an 'OMGUS vote' - i.e. a vote for someone purely on the basis that they are voting for you.
OP: Original Post
PM: Private Message.
PoE: Process of Elimination.
PR: Power Role.
QFT: Quoted for truth. Said after a quotation to express agreement/approval.
Quicktopic: The medium through which mafia buddies (scumbuddies) or masons can talk.
RVS: Random Voting Stage. Most Mafia games start with a phase wherein people vote for silly reasons, until someone slips up or makes a legitimate accusation.
Scum: Refers to any anti-town faction. In this game will be used to refer to the mafia.
SE: Semi-experienced
SK: Serial Killer (won't be seeing any of them this game but still)
V/LA: Vacation/Limited Access thread, where players should post if they won't be checking MafiaScum.net for more than a few days.
VT: Vanilla Townie.
WIFOM: Wine in Front of Me.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Mafia Factions and Power Roles]Town: You should know what that is if its in your role PM :) (and if you don't you're going down).

Mafia: the main anti-town faction in this game and it consists of X amount of players who know eachother's alignment (that being mafia) and may communicate with each other anytime outside of thread. They usually win when their numbers have numerical parity or majority over non-mafia factions.

Indies: players who are neither aligned with town or mafia and usually have the wincon (win condition) of being the last one standing. Because of this, indies are usually tough to win with and are usually given substantial PR (power role) buffs. They may also have a different type of wincon that involves them lynching a specific target or even hammering (casting the final lynch vote) themselves. The latter two are much less common and almost certainly won't be in the setup.

Cults: though generally discouraged from use, are masonesque factions that recruit a player into their ranks each Night. In some variations, when the cult leader dies, so does the entire cult. In others, the leader dying makes it unable for the cult to continue recruiting and the remaining survivor must fight to be the last ones standing.

Here is a mass index for many of the power roles that could be in use throughout your mafia career.

http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index....Category:Roles

The only factions that will be in this setup are mafia and town while the only power roles will be the ones in the OP (original post).[/collapse]

[collapse=General Advice](Note: using "@Player:" Is a good way to direct questions and make it clear who you are talking to)

Mafia is a game of subtleties and motives. No one is going to tell you they are mafia. However, people will choose certain actions and say certain things because they are town or because they are scum (note: the terms 'scum' and 'mafia' are generally interchangeable for all purposes in this game). It is town's job to find these motives and scum's job to appear to have the motivation of a townie.

Fundamentally, good scum play is inseparable from good town play. Think about this and what it means for your faction.

However, simple games reinforce the fundamentals that make mafia such a fun game, making for some of the best clashes of wits; there are few unknowns other than a players alignment. No where for town or scum to hide. A true test of mafia skill.

Mafia games usually begin with the RVS (random vote stage) where players vote other players with the purpose of building discussion, from which we can begin to scum hunt (the process of finding mafia). During RVS, it is standard practice to also ask "random" questions which serve the same purpose as votes: to generate meaningful discussion.

The name RVS is actually lie, because people do not do things randomly (by the definition of the word). They will almost always have a reason for what they do (even if it's as simple as 'I felt like it'). A more apt name would be the 'Joke Vote Stage.' But if you want to be technical, the JVS could be considered a substage of RVS.

tl;dr: RVS is a loosely defined term for the beginning of a mafia game, where there is no real or productive discussion related to scum hunting.

But remember, it's important sometimes to take things said in RVS with a grain of salt. The key to a successful start is player involvement.

Town's job during RVS is to promote discussion, in an attempt to:
1. learn other players alignments, and
2. demonstrate that they are both town and useful to town's cause.

There is no correct way to play as scum, and thus Mafia's job (especially) during RVS is to
1. appear to be town and
2. (more generally) manipulate lynches so that mafia win.

------

1.) If you are a power-role, ie you are the Cop, the Doctor or similar, it is very important you keep your powers hidden, Do not out yourself unless you are one vote away from being lynched (this is known as L-1) and there are other players asking you to claim. The only other scenario to out yourself is if you are the Cop and have a guilty result on a player.
2.) Do not put the final vote on someone (known as the hammer, or hammering someone) unless they have roleclaimed, or you are confident they won't be able to post before the deadline hits. Even then remember that hammering ends the day so if there is discussion to be had, hold off from hammering
3.) Don't lie! townies lying can cause major problems so if you are town, don't lie.
4.) Don't vote for yourself, whatever your faction is, you gain nothing from it. This can sometimes be an advanced move for a scum faction but I don't think that will be utilized here.
5.) If you find yourself lost in the game, try asking questions that will give interesting information. Asking questions is good so long as you think you can gain useful information from it.
6.) In this game everyone will have a character, keep this information secret as sometimes revealing your character can lead to mafia figuring out your role.
7.) Try not to get too emotionally attached to the game, if someone accuses you of lying, don't take it to heart, just try to respond rationally[/collapse]

[collapse=Some Confusing Terms Explained]WIFOM: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12466366&postcount=234

OMGUS: Voting a player purely on the conjecture that they voted you first while adding no additional reasoning. Frequent move in RVS but usually thought of as scummy when used beyond that.

Chainsaw (defense): Defending another player by attacking their attacker. This is thought of to be a scumtell between players because scum will not usually overtly defend their buddies in thread but they may covertly defend them, as in the example above.

Bus/Bussing: The act of a scum member voting another member of their scumteam to appear pro-town (and not connected with their scum mate) when that first member flips (when the mod announces the player's alignment).[/collapse]Also feel free to ask me a mechanics question at any time at the game and I will give you an unbiased answer, regardless of what I think of your alignment. The entire point of this game is to get you interested in mafia in the first place!

Sorry if you hate reading walls but if you read the above you should come into the game on your feet without much stall. There will inevitably be question but I hope the transition is smooth.

And most importantly, have fun!

SangfroidWarrior

Smash Journeyman
haha no J isn't a guy, that's just me and Gova messing with him. And the flavor is from Kingdom Hearts 2, you know, Organization XIII? It's a video game for the playstation 2. They were first introduced in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories for the GBA. Since Kingdom Hearts 2, there have been other games not exactly pertinent to the story-line that include the Organization XIII, including Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days for the NDS.

SangfroidWarrior

Smash Journeyman
@th3kuzinator Yeah, I won't. Wouldn't have even thought about it. I just wanted to fix some mistakes I put in, plus I knew the day hadn't started yet so I wasn't worried about it. It would seem like cheating to me. I mean, you can't unsay what you say in real life, right? So, why would be able to do so in this game? It's just not right. Any grammatical mistakes I make once D1 starts... well, as much of a perfectionist as I am, I'll just have to deal and leave them. Thanks for the acronyms, though.

Anyone else wanna give us some information on how you got started with mafia?

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
Does anyone know the anime/manga that this flavor is from? Might come in handy given J's cryptic sidestep about the roles.

A mass nameclaim (not roleclaim) may prove beneficial during the game.

Also, J is a girl? :O

I first played Mafia at the end of year party 2 years ago. I recently read a SSBB flavored Mafia on another forum I frequent and it renewed my interest in the game as well as Smash Brothers. I have played a total of 0 Mafia Games so... lol
J isn't a girl he's just very effeminate.

The flavor is Kingdom Hearts, a popular Action JRPG. Or more specifically a specific group that serves as the main enemy in Kingdom Hearts 2.

Of course a mass claim COULD be useful but odds are it won't be, since this is a newbie game and the majority of people are vanilla.
Not to mention mass claiming is generally bad because mafia gets everyone's roles and town still has to figure out who mafia is.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
As a side note, as much as it is our job as ICs to instruct the newer players how to play mafia, it is our job to put the game in an environment that will get you all ready for when you play a regular game here (if you so choose to).

Thus I will be playing this game exactly how I normally would. To win.

There will be a little more leeway in this game due to obvious reasons, but don't expect to receive any special treatment from me if it gets in the way of my win condition.

@Panta: I, for one, have absolutely no idea what this flavor is nor do I plan on researching it until I think it necessary.

Scum will also usually be provided "safe claims" which are specific character claims that they may claim without fear of getting outed due to flavor. Character claims are unnecessary and just create WIFOM (check the definition I posted above).

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
@th3kuzinator Yeah, I won't. Wouldn't have even thought about it. I just wanted to fix some mistakes I put in, plus I knew the day hadn't started yet so I wasn't worried about it. It would seem like cheating to me. I mean, you can't unsay what you say in real life, right? So, why would be able to do so in this game? It's just not right. Any grammatical mistakes I make once D1 starts... well, as much of a perfectionist as I am, I'll just have to deal and leave them. Thanks for the acronyms, though.
Just making sure you're aware.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
1.) Shadow Moth**
2.) SangfroidWarrior**
3.) Panta**
4.) pheonix561
5.) gargaglione**
7.) Werekill**
8.) Zen (IC)**
9.) th3kuzinator (IC)**

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
I'd just like to chime in that flavor isn't actually important in this game. It's just there to make it more interesting and fun to play.

SangfroidWarrior

Smash Journeyman
I'd just like to chime in that flavor isn't actually important in this game. It's just there to make it more interesting and fun to play.
Agreed, but, being as this is from one of my all time favorite video game series, it makes it that much better.

Fynal

Smash Journeyman

today we arrived at cousins house, several hours of muni-ing and no real falls yet :awesome: that wont last tho. also settlers which is an amazing game

kuz and J rockin da newbiegames

siek's claim in n12 prompts dgames adoption of nurse lol

kuz don't get outplayed again :troll:

good luck newnewbs :D ye'll love it

(sorry if Day already started, i checked and it looked like it didn't)

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
I'm going to be careful this game, don't worry.

Oh but I'm on a winning streak throughout dGames so I got this.

Panta

Smash Cadet

J isn't a girl he's just very effeminate.

The flavor is Kingdom Hearts, a popular Action JRPG. Or more specifically a specific group that serves as the main enemy in Kingdom Hearts 2.

Of course a mass claim COULD be useful but odds are it won't be, since this is a newbie game and the majority of people are vanilla.
Not to mention mass claiming is generally bad because mafia gets everyone's roles and town still has to figure out who mafia is.
I didn't realize that the entire group was the antagonist. That makes the point I was trying to make null.

Hey, Kuz

wazzup?

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Heyal,

To answer Sagfroid's questions, I'd guess I've been playing for about a year and a half or so. I will work towards my win condition of course (which is to catch scum), but I intend to be here mainly to guide things a long. As with Kuz, feel free to ask me anything regarding mechanics of the game or advice in general, and I will answer without bias.

@Panta: I wanted to clarify a bit more on randomization and flavor. As has been said, safe claims are usually given to mafia. So even if "bad" character's were distinguishable in this theme, and mafia were "bad" characters, they would still have a "good" character to safeclaim to prevent the game from being broken.

Now, despite safeclaims being given to the mafia, whether mafia are "bad" or "good" characters is not information that the mod usually gives. It is up for indaviduals to determine that on their own (or rather not even speculate about it all because flavor is just supposed to be for fun. It's not something that should be able to be used to out scum. A good mod will make sure of that).

With regards to mass character claiming, that's generally looked at as being anti-town. While flavor shouldn't be able to clear or condemn a player, they can still give indication to the mafia of the role a player might have. For example say the flavor was SSBM and someone claimed Dr. Mario. That would reveal to mafia that that person is the town doctor, a Power Role, and they could aim their night kill towards him. By mass character claiming, we could possibly out a Power Role which is anti-town.

Top Bottom