• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie 13: Organization XIII Mafia ~Town Wins!~

SangfroidWarrior

Smash Journeyman
Daykill: SangfroidWarrior
...I don't really know how to take that. You do realize the day hasn't even started, right? We still don't have phoenix confirmed, and, despite people already having their cards and talking to each other, at the moment my main objective is to get to know people. Once the day starts, I'm going to start trying to snuff out the mafia scum. Then, go ahead with your accusations and assumptions.

Unfortunately, if you were joking, it went right over my head and I apologize for it.

SangfroidWarrior

Smash Journeyman
I feel like that whole "Oh, and I've been told..." line is getting me into a lot of trouble. Thanks J. You did this haha. I really am just looking to have fun and get to know people better as well.

NNID
Budget_Player
...I don't really know how to take that. You do realize the day hasn't even started, right? We still don't have phoenix confirmed, and, despite people already having their cards and talking to each other, at the moment my main objective is to get to know people. Once the day starts, I'm going to start trying to snuff out the mafia scum. Then, go ahead with your accusations and assumptions.

Unfortunately, if you were joking, it went right over my head and I apologize for it.
It was a joke. :laugh: Random daykilling is a good way to not get anywhere.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
This is exactly what I mean by looking at the intent behind someone's post. You don't always need to take things at face value.

Panta

Smash Cadet
I hadn't thought of that, Zen. :|

Never mind with name claiming people.

SangfroidWarrior

Smash Journeyman
It was a joke. :laugh: Random daykilling is a good way to not get anywhere.
Yeah. After the fact, I kind of figure as much. Sorry. :urg: And yeah, I really need to learn that what people say isn't what they mean exactly. Daykilling is very pointless, but sometimes it gets the conversation started. In the mafia games I previously played, we would have the mafia (werewolves) go first and have the night before the first day so we could go off of their reads. Sorry 'bout that. :/ Please, take no offense from me thinking you would do that. I don't really know anything about anyone on here so I don't know whether to assume if you're joking or just being a jerk. And, hey, I'm a girl, I look way too deeply into things. I mean, there's understanding the meaning and then there's taking something away from a line that was meant completely innocently.

SangfroidWarrior

Smash Journeyman
Cadet, I do apologize. So, in order to get to know you better and make amends for assuming the worst, what got you into playing mafia?

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Gender doesn't matter much online, in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm at my hotel, and I'm able to read this thread a bit! Just don't expect too much activity yet.

My mafia stats: I've only played one game so far, and that game is a BRoom game that still doesn't exist, so I can't say details yet. I still suck at building cases and such still, so I'm hoping that this game will give me some experience.

By the way, how many experienced players do we have?

@Sangfroid: Haha, I'm used to a N0 kill in real life games too, but I can live without it.

NNID
Budget_Player
Cadet@Smashfest! Yaaay! I'm a liiiiittle busy this weekend, but I'll try to pop in every few hours or so.

Cadet, I do apologize. So, in order to get to know you better and make amends for assuming the worst, what got you into playing mafia?
The fact that my first website, MTGDarkness kinda lived off of mafia for a while. We imported a few of the mafia mods from MTGSalvation, and although they later ended up turning into massive ****s (and planned to get me kicked off my own site), and despite the fact that it was something of a tradition to make me the day one lynch (and when I didn't get lynched, I got NK'd), it went pretty well. :laugh:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Good luck people.

Basic advice:

1.) Common sense is king. If you have it with a decent bit of logic and analytical reasoning, then you have limitless potential. If you don't, then you need to find some or you'll never improve.

2.) Speaking of improvement. Whenever you make a mistake, learn from it. Don't make the same mistake twice.

3.) Don't trust. Seriously, the situations where it's okay to do so are far and few between and it's better not to do so at all than to do it at the wrong time.

4.) Mix it up. You don't improve sitting on the sidelines. Get in the game. Challenge things you think should be challenged. Make the mistakes you're inevitably going to make. Get better.

5.) Don't take offense to anything in this game. It's a game of deception and manipulation and no one is playing to be on your good side. They're playing to make you do what they want, even if they're town. If that kind of thing will offend you, then don't play. Even insults elicit responses.

SangfroidWarrior

Smash Journeyman
@Cadet Dang dude that sucks. Well, I'm glad it went well for you.

@Ryker Man I really have mess-ups when typing don't I? Or maybe just dyslexic moments. As effeminite as he is, I think he might just kill me if I don't correct this. "Haha No, J is a guy" is what I had initially meant to put. As funny as that would be, I was wrong. :chuckle: Sorry J ^_^

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
It's only been 2 days since role pms are sent out plus we have a player that is V/LA till Monday and I'm V/LA till Sunday as well.

However I do need to look for replacements regardless just in case.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
@Ryker: I'd also like to point out that if someone does something like, say, claims watcher then outs you as a pr because they watched you two nights and gave an exact report, it doesn't mean that they can go scot-free.

In a game that doesn't exist, I believed in the watcher since he outed me as a pr (cop, to be exact). I worked closely with him after that, but he got lynched that Day (which pissed me off) and flipped SK/watcher.

So yeah. Don't trust anyone unless you're 100% sure, like if you investigate someone as cop and flips reveal that you're sane. You might end up teaming up with the serial killer if you don't. >_>

Also, woot, hotel wifi.

SangfroidWarrior

Smash Journeyman
@werekill

But, aren't there certain characters that flip innocent regardless when the cop investigates them? Like, I know in Lupus in Tabula there's a character called the Possessed that is completely innocent but sides with the scum and wins when the scum wins but he knows not who they are. I know I was in a previous game and the seer (like the cop) investigated me and I was werewolf (aka scum) and my friend (the possessed) got the other townie convinced that I was human and that the seer was calling false even though both my friend and I knew she was right. What would be the equivalent of those in mafia?

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
So, if you all haven't read the OP, which you should do, you'll notice that this an open setup of which there are three possible versions, so you don't have to worry about any obscure roles.

SangfroidWarrior

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I know. I just want to know for future reference. Most of any rolls I've never heard of, or I've heard of them called a different name. Or is it explained to us before each game what each person does?

SangfroidWarrior

Smash Journeyman
Or do we not even learn any type of set-ups, including nothing about what type of specials are in the game.

Edit: Nevermind. J just explained it to me. Derp. Guess it makes it harder when they're closed set-ups... but more fun. Just something special for us newbies I guess. That'll take getting used to too. And, yes, I do realize this isn't the correct way to edit a post. I just didn't feel, at this moment, like making a third post in a row just to explain that I had figured it out.

pheonix561

Smash Rookie
Sorry for being absent guys! I was busy being an idiot in other corners of the internet. I'm gonna go read through the rest of the thread now.

X1-12

Smash Champion
Always question your reads, dont be afraid to ask questions, any questions. Dont assume that someone being wrong is scummy. Think why people do what they do, put yourself in thier shoes and imagine why they would do that as town, or why they might do it as scum.

If you get scum then just try and look like you're doing all of the above. As kuz says, good scum play is inseperable from good town play. Don't be afraid.

pheonix561

Smash Rookie
From reading the past seven pages I realized we haven't started the game yet, but we did start introducing ourselves, so I will get to doing that. I started mafia on a forum a couple years ago, and have been playing it ever since. But the only games I've ever played have been on that forum, with members of that forum, so I feel like I've grown to play games accustomed to their patterns. Playing on a new forum like this where I don't know anyone is pretty cool, so I'm eager for the game to start.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Good luck people.

Basic advice:

1.) Common sense is king. If you have it with a decent bit of logic and analytical reasoning, then you have limitless potential. If you don't, then you need to find some or you'll never improve.

2.) Speaking of improvement. Whenever you make a mistake, learn from it. Don't make the same mistake twice. Unless it's to not lynch claimed indies, keep doing that and you'll eventually prevent a mislynch. Maybe.

3.) Don't trust. Seriously, the situations where it's okay to do so are far and few between and it's better not to do so at all than to do it at the wrong time. Unless you're trusting me, that's fine.

4.) Mix it up. You don't improve sitting on the sidelines. Get in the game. Challenge things you think should be challenged. Make the mistakes you're inevitably going to make. Get better. Or just lurk, that's ok too.

5.) Don't take offense to anything in this game. It's a game of deception and manipulation and no one is playing to be on your good side. They're playing to make you do what they want, even if they're town. If that kind of thing will offend you, then don't play. Even insults elicit responses. Especially insults.

6.) Never give up, trust your instincts!

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Ryker already stated that. STOP PARROTING SCUM.

Parroting means repeating what others have said.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Except I edited it. STOP SKIMMING SCUM.

Skimming means not really reading what's written.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
D1 Begins

((I'm gonna start D1 since everyone has at least posted in the thread.))

Deep in a world that was never even supposed to exist was a castle that floated above in the sky. That castle was illuminated by a moon shaped like a heart. That castle was The Castle That Never Was. In that castle was an organization destined to try and conquer a great and powerful source of energy. Kingdom Hearts. The thing about this said organization is that they were never supposed to even exist in the first place. There were something different about the people in this organization. They had no hearts.

In total there were thirteen of them and each possessed their own abilities and weapons. They all worked together to be an asset to their mission. However, there were ranks in this organization. Some of the members did not like how the ranks were set up or some just had their own goals. Because of this, there became tension within the organization. Some had decided to rise up against the other members and rule with their own mighty power.

This was the beginning of something heinous.....that probably should have never happened nor existed in the first place.

Day 1 Begins.

1.) Shadow Moth {0}
2.) SangfroidWarrior {0}
3.) Panta {0}
4.) pheonix561 {0}
5.) Gargaglione {0}
6.) Budget Player Cadet_ {0}
7.) Werekill {0}
8.) Zen {0}
9.) th3kuzinator {0}

With 9 people alive, it takes 5 to lynch.

Deadline is set for 7/24/2011 at 11:59pm

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
A PM has been sent out to all players to show that the game has started officially. I must now ask that no one NOT playing the game posts in this thread. Thank you.

A vote count will most likely be posted on every new page of the game of 40ppp.

Thank you Asdioh...

Panta

Smash Cadet
Vote: Zen

I don't really get any town vibes from him. Commence the day!

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Vote: Budget Player Cadet_

Where did you become familiar with dayvig gambits?

Note: Any time I type in italics this will be my impartial IC voice.

Remember, feel free to ask me anything you'd like without fear of bias. Looks back at my post 56 if you have any basic questions. Remember, now that the Day has started you may not edit your posts or you will be punished! Leave the spelling mistakes alone!

One more thing. In mafia we say "day" (lower case d) to refer to real life days while we say "Day" (upper case d) to refer to in-game mafia Days. Same thing is true for Night and night, toMorrow and tomorrow, yesterDay and yesterday etc.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Panta, I'm as townie as a townie can get n_n.

Cadet, how much mafia experience do you have?

Sangfroid, just fyi the mafia role that is always seen as innocent by the cop is called a godfather. The town role that is always seen as guilty is called a miller/gravedigger.

What is your game plan for this game?

SangfroidWarrior

Smash Journeyman
@gargaglione Lol, dude are you having fun?

@zen Thanks, dude.

So, Panta, Kuzi, what are your reasonings for voting these people besides the one-liners, if any at all?

Top Bottom