• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

News: Garchomp is banned from OU as of today

Midnite

Smash Cadet
NNID
AurumMidnite
Garchomp being uber doesn't surprise me, though I'm honestly more annoyed with Excadrill than Chomp.

Thundurus being suspect perplexes me, though.

rED023b

Smash Apprentice
NNID
himanattsu
If Thundurus becomes suspect (even though its highly unlikely), Zapdos could have a shot to get back in OU, then...:)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
It's not that Zapdos wants to be OU, it's that UU can't handle Zapdos.

unknown522

Some guy
I'm so glad they banned garchomp. I had him in like every team because he's so broken.

I also have thundurus and jirachi on almost every team because they are too broken.

oh, and chandelure.

Sandstorm is too good, because of the quality of the pokemon (can't be Twaved!!!!), especially since they banned drizzle + SS as a combo (which was also too good).

Sun teams are a close second being too good.

I know I'm complaining a lot, but there's just no point in using so many pokemon because of speedy weather and prankster.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Chomp was never really broken.

He'll probly be unbanned somewhere between next round two rounds after Grey comes out.

Or when they make the reqs high enough where no dumb people can vote anymore.

Enzo

Smash Lord
oh, is shadow tag banned?

Also, I think latios and latias are too good.
Yeah it is banned on both smogon and the Beta server

@Ulti I agree that there should be a req on votes because a bunch of dumb ppl vote for stupid things
Also if you're banning the shark ban teh FETUS
I can't put in words how this pokemon can single-handedly beat a stall team easily.
Not to mention its probably the best late game sweeper

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
It's not banned, BLM >.>

It's not even released.

You're playing Dream World, unknown, a tier of Pokemon that are in the game's coding but unreleased.

Play Wifi.

Enzo

Smash Lord
It's not banned, BLM >.>

It's not even released.

You're playing Dream World, unknown, a tier of Pokemon that are in the game's coding but unreleased.

Play Wifi.
Judging from the context of him saying chandelure was broken I'd assume he was playing DW
But yeah i've started playing wifi, team view is gonna take some time to get used to.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
You're still unaware that Smogon doesn't have DW tier lists, and as such bans nothing.

unknown522

Some guy
I'm still lost. But why do some pokemon get to have their DW abilities in wifi, but others don't?

Are some unobtainable in DW in game or something?

I just assumed that you can find them all, and it's free game for DW or not or something.

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
I'm still lost. But why do some pokemon get to have their DW abilities in wifi, but others don't?

I just assumed that you can find them all, and it's free game for DW or not or something.
Ah, this.

Basically the entire reason I hate Gen V. That, and it's stupid as hell. With chomp banned, I feel like I got out of this at a good time (right after my epic BoTW with BLM hehe). Perhaps when it gets less stupid(If it does), I might start playing again. But for now, I'm pretty happy that I quit.

Enzo

Smash Lord

Nintendo periodically releases new Dream world abilities.
While Dream world tier has all of them available, Wifi tier follows the ones that have been released by nintendo

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
They've actually recently added Dream World as a tier
A lot people play on Beta server also
DW has always been a tier.

It's just there to please people though. There are no bans or anything for the DW tier though.

BLM start knowing things plz.

Also yeah Wifi exists because it's what you can play on a cartridge. DW is dumb and non-existant

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
It's not banned, BLM >.>

It's not even released.

Play Wifi.
I don't understand this. It's a simulator, designed to play the game to its potential. Isn't that like saying "black and white haven't been released in america yet, so continue playing 4th gen?"

Wifi tier is like playing an unfinished game :(

with team preview which lets my opponent see my gimmicky pokemon beforehand, removing the element of surprise, which is absolutely essential for most of my crappy teams to win.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I don't understand this. It's a simulator, designed to play the game to its potential. Isn't that like saying "black and white haven't been released in america yet, so continue playing 4th gen?"

Wifi tier is like playing an unfinished game :(

with team preview which lets my opponent see my gimmicky pokemon beforehand, removing the element of surprise, which is absolutely essential for most of my crappy teams to win.
Wifi is standard because it's not completely certain that many of the DW abilities will be released. Hell, there's no actual coding on the DW OR in the game that supports ANY of the DW abilities of B/W Pokemon except Darmanitan and Musharna. All of the other 154 B/W Pokemon may never actually get their DW abilities, or many of the other Pokemon. We just don't know for certain.

Yes, that means there's a good chance that stuff like Sap Sipper Zebistrika (or whatever the hell its called now) might never actually exist. You're playing a made-up Pokemon that is about as real as Wonder Guard Spiritomb. That goes for Unburden Hitmonlee and the like too.

Also, real severs play with Team Preview even on in DW.

so is it:

- "BW OU" listed under "Gen 5?"
- or "BW Singles" Listed under "Nintendo?"
BW OU under Gen 5.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Also, real severs play with Team Preview even on in DW.
I know... stupid game companies -_-

the same game companies that didn't nerf stealth rock or buff rapid spin this gen >:E

edit: ulti you're never on skype

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I know... stupid game companies -_-

the same game companies that didn't nerf stealth rock or buff rapid spin this gen >:E

edit: ulti you're never on skype
I think removing Stealth Rock from the TM list is a pretty big nerf.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
not really when all the stuff that used it in 4th gen are using the same sets that they are in 5th gen

and ferrothorn gets it as an egg move

especially when ferrothorn is the best wall in the game, setting up SR isn't hard

Enzo

Smash Lord
Yes, that means there's a good chance that stuff like Sap Sipper Zebistrika (or whatever the hell its called now) might never actually exist. You're playing a made-up Pokemon that is about as real as Wonder Guard Spiritomb. That goes for Unburden Hitmonlee and the like too.
Going by this logic, it's as if you're saying that genesect, keldeo, meloetta don't exist either as they're only in the game's programming as far as now.

You can also take last gen ubers. Arceus being the best uber there is out there took a long time to be released in an event in Dppt, yet uber players played with Arceus and Darkrai

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
especially when ferrothorn is the best wall in the game, setting up SR isn't hard
oh, is that why it's #1 in usage?

/personallythinkit'soverrated

My Zebra can 1hko it with Life Orb Overheat. Zebra is NOT fire type, only has 80 base special attack, and only has like 4 EVs in SpA, without a boosting nature. lol

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Going by this logic, it's as if you're saying that genesect, keldeo, meloetta don't exist either as they're only in the game's programming as far as now.

You can also take last gen ubers. Arceus being the best uber there is out there took a long time to be released in an event in Dppt, yet uber players played with Arceus and Darkrai
Well... they don't, but at least we're certain they will be released because there is coding in-game for the events for those Pokemon. There IS NOT CODING THAT CAN SUPPORT 5TH GEN DW POKEMON. They do NOT have overworld sprites for the most part, and as such, CANNOT GET THEIR DW ABILITY IN B/W. It would literally break the game, trying to hack the DW to get a Litwick and porting it down to your game will result in a crash upon entering the in-game DW area. It is not supported in the coding. It's not just unreleased, it's unreleasable, not only do 5th gen Pokemon abilities not exist, they CANNOT exist within B/W's game coding by download through dream world.

Also, stop making yourself look dumber, Darkai was released early on (and was banned before being released), and Arceus was NEVER USED in last Gen Ubers. NEVER. The 100EV restriction that came with Arceus was too complex for shoddy's programming, so Arceus was never even used last Gen in Ubers, it was forever banned because it was unobtainable below level 100. Gen V remedied this with no EV restrictions.

Also Asdioh some of Ferrothorn's most popular usage is in rain... also it's not #1, TTar is (at least on Smogon)

D

Deleted member

unknown: that you don't even know what the "standard" format for the game is (and I don't either), it's hard to find which pokemon are legal, there's a bunch of strategies that lack any kind of balance, and nintendo added scrub features like team preview...it's just basically like this gen of pokemon is the brawl generation of the game. it's predecessors are just better. worst thing is, nintendo builds the games off of each other so you can transfer pokes. so those rain dance teams are going to be around even if there's a gen 6, 7, etc. forever. unless nintendo makes them not backwards compatible for some reason, they'll always be there. the "competitive" community of smogon making bans left and right (remember that bans are inherently anti-competitive in nature) isn't helping much either. it's basically just not a good game to play anymore.

that said, it's an easy observation to notice that the newer games just aren't as good as their prior renditions:

Halo
Star Craft (debatable)
Smash
Marvel vs Capcom
Pokemon
Blazblue (vs Guilty Gear)

And so on.

Nintendo messed up on Stealth Rock, but that was only one move and then we learned to play with/around it and it affected team design and actually added depth to the game. I don't see a plausible way for nintendo to fix this mess either. and banning garchomp isn't the first move that makes 5th gen "bad".

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i can't access the smogon server and the PO server is dumb

i seriously fought a kid using quick claw machamp, who got it to work which killed my espeon, then he got a critical hit against venasaur killing that, only to paralyze my heatran with tbolt, a few turns later with latios

i ragequitted because of how dumb that was

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
My Zebra can 1hko it with Life Orb Overheat. Zebra is NOT fire type, only has 80 base special attack, and only has like 4 EVs in SpA, without a boosting nature. lol
Incidentally, there is a build of Scizor that can OHKO Scizor with HP Fire. Scizor has a whopping base 55 SAtk and HP Fire is 60 power. 4x type weakness goes a long way toward emphasizing itself, but that's not exactly damning evidence toward something being overrated.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
ferrothorn is way too versatile to be ignored, he basically covers any defensive role you need outside of spinning away hazards (basically the only reason to use forrey over ferrothorn)

Top Bottom