• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

News: Garchomp is banned from OU as of today

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Also Asdioh some of Ferrothorn's most popular usage is in rain... also it's not #1, TTar is (at least on Smogon)
Luckily, drizzle is banned, so rain is pretty much nonexistant now X3

Incidentally, there is a build of Scizor that can OHKO Scizor with HP Fire. Scizor has a whopping base 55 SAtk and HP Fire is 60 power. 4x type weakness goes a long way toward emphasizing itself, but that's not exactly damning evidence toward something being overrated.
huh.

I guess. It's kind of frustating, comparing say, 1st gen pokemon to 5th gen. Doesn't it seem like a lot of the 1st gens have horribly underwhelming stats compared to a lot of the 5th gens?
Or maybe I'm just overlooking a ton of weak pokemon in 5th gen, /shrug

All I know is that I remember people complaining about Chandelure, and then I looked up it's stats and though "145 SpA holy craaaaap"

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I dunno, I think this guy

fared pretty well over the years.

Also, there's plenty of trash in 5th gen. Hell, there's a Pokémon in 5th gen that is literally trash.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Starmie was great 'til gen V. Snorlax started being mediocre gen IV. Gengar and Gyarados are ****ing awesome. Chansey and some other NFE Pokemon are making a comback. Mewtwo has been a huge factor in Ubers over the years.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
ok I guess I'm being biased.

I just see things like Ferrothorn's stats, Conkeldurr's stats and abilities and movesets, Chandelure's stats, Haxorus' stats, and go "nintendo y u no balance game?!"

srsly I used to use Scarfed Mold Breaker Pinsir in gen 4 because it was pretty epic, but Haxorus outclasses that 200%

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Those four are mostly balanced. Ferrothorn has a quadruple weakness, which is a something, I guess. Conkeldurr is slow as **** and requires Mach Punch and doesn't learn Ice Punch. Yet. Chandelure and Haxorus die to neutral hits, and both have mediocre type coverage.

smash brother

Smash Cadet
Starmie was great 'til gen V. Snorlax started being mediocre gen IV. Gengar and Gyarados are ****ing awesome. Chansey and some other NFE Pokemon are making a comback. Mewtwo has been a huge factor in Ubers over the years.
i double.:kirby:

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Oh yeah, totally forgot about Dragonite. In my defense, no one used him in gen IV until Mence was gone.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
and now dragonite is better than salamence because of multiscale.

idk why people even use salamence, i just 1hko it with ice :bee:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Smogon > PO
There should be a poll. :troll:

I used to play Shoddy back before I even knew PO existed, but I got bored of it and the program itself was pretty crappy. Apparently they updated it since then so it's better, idk.

Anyway, I thought Smogon was the one that was banhappy, not PO? Like speed boost blaziken and drizzle+swift swim?

Enzo

Smash Lord
There should be a poll. :troll:

I used to play Shoddy back before I even knew PO existed, but I got bored of it and the program itself was pretty crappy. Apparently they updated it since then so it's better, idk.

Anyway, I thought Smogon was the one that was banhappy, not PO? Like speed boost blaziken and drizzle+swift swim?
They are the ban-happy ones, PO is simply suspect testing testing Politoed (Drizzle)

D

Deleted member

I dunno about you, but I like that Arceus isn't in OU.
if you want to nitpick, if everything were unbanned, it would theoretically be the same as ubers, which is pretty competitive. banning everything that was "too good" might make the game more fun, but it is still a scrub maneuver in a general way.

not that i disagree with it. i prefer OU over any other format. but i also acknowledge that it's still scrub status to make arbitrary bans in the name of some artificially forged "balance".

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Nintendo had me pretty mad when their ban criteria was "no event Pokémon are allowed on the Battle Subway."

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Wasnt alot of other pokemon used alot more then chomp?, i think I saw a list a month or so ago where ferrothorn was like most used,.
I guess I wont learn anything new good strategic by visiting smogon again due to ruleswitching all the time.
VGC>Smogon

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Wasnt alot of other pokemon used alot more then chomp?, i think I saw a list a month or so ago where ferrothorn was like most used,.
I guess I wont learn anything new good strategic by visiting smogon again due to ruleswitching all the time.
VGC>Smogon
This just in: high usage equates to overcentralization and imbalance

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It's hard to take an absolutely certain measure of centralization through usage numbers since for some reason Smogon's ladder players have a "soft-ban" tendency of using a Pokémon less if it's questionably overpowered or disrespected. Sure, this doesn't apply to the very top, but just like any other game, the very top alone doesn't directly make a huge impact on the final usage statistics.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
scizor was more used than both mence and latias before they were banned

he was used a lot to "counter" dragon usage as he resisted dragon and was just about the most reliable revenge killer

hence why crappy sets like scarftar was also popular

Gates

Banned via Warnings
you guys still talking about this?

EDIT: ah ****, I didn't see the date.

ScarfChomp will always be better than SDChomp.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Well, now we are, since you bumped the thread

how about them chomps

Goodstyle

Smash Apprentice
Lol are you listening to yourselves? Garchomp was horrendously broken in standard, it had a 20% chance of saying **** you. Yes it had several checks, but Sand Veil invalidated them 20% of the time. You should have seen one of the Smogon tour finals it was ****ing hilarious, Garchomp literally caused one guy to go from 2-6 to 2-0 it was glorious.

Also, if you guys really think Blaziken isn't broken you must have missed the era where the top 20 teams ran blaziken abuse teams. Basically, whichever Blaziken started boosting first one the game, it pretty much had no counters outside of Slowbro.

Edit: Random bunch of other things.

-Ferrothorn IS overrated.
-Starmie is a ****ing monster in BW, its an amazing speed tier and the LO set has like 2 switches in the rain.
-banning sand veil over garchomp is a terrible idea because it instantly invalidates every pokemon that has a sand veil as their primary ability.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Haps is a village in the Dutch province of North Brabant. It is located in the municipality of Cuijk, about 5 km south of the town of Cuijk.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Lol are you listening to yourselves? Garchomp was horrendously broken in standard, it had a 20% chance of saying **** you. Yes it had several checks, but Sand Veil invalidated them 20% of the time. You should have seen one of the Smogon tour finals it was ****ing hilarious, Garchomp literally caused one guy to go from 2-6 to 2-0 it was glorious.

Also, if you guys really think Blaziken isn't broken you must have missed the era where the top 20 teams ran blaziken abuse teams. Basically, whichever Blaziken started boosting first one the game, it pretty much had no counters outside of Slowbro.

Edit: Random bunch of other things.

-Ferrothorn IS overrated.
-Starmie is a ****ing monster in BW, its an amazing speed tier and the LO set has like 2 switches in the rain.
-banning sand veil over garchomp is a terrible idea because it instantly invalidates every pokemon that has a sand veil as their primary ability.
Why do you act like you know things about this game it's getting annoying.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I'm still calling that by the time Grey hits, or shortly after, Chomp will be back in OU again.

Calling it so much.

Enzo

Smash Lord
sorry ulti, but u shouldnt bash DW the way u do.
I can understand u disliking PO DW since team non-team preview games will never exist.

But comparing landorus with sheer force with wonder tomb is incorrect. I'm not to sure how the programming works and how the PO creators found out the DW abilities for unreleased pokes but i HIGHLY doubt they just pulled it out their ***.

Don't get me wrong i love wifi too but, DW is a legitimate tier as well

Goodstyle

Smash Apprentice
Easy now, I wasn't trolling I was just tellinng you guys my experience + the experiences of every other relevant gen V player. There was a reason why chompgot such an overwhelming ban this round. Ultimario I bet you my account that Garchomp remains banned even after Gray is released.

As for DW being a legitimate tier... No.
Soul Dew Latias and Latios, Eccentric Ditto and Shadow Tag Chandelure exist. All are broken the former two make the tier nearly unplayable (Latios is already a ******* in standard)

Top Bottom