• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NJ/NY Rankings: New Rankings 9/25/12!!!

Allied

Smash Master
i didn't do the ignoring you did

hence i said you stopped the change

brah

edit - i offered plenty of positive posts in the past 2 pages

u mad

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Lucas, you're not the president, you're not "elite" and you're not special. You're a person who plays super smash brothers brawl, just like everyone else here. You just happen to do better than some people in tourney. That's it. Don't act like you're anything more than that, and maybe people won't hate you as much.

Don't get me wrong though. Outside of smash I like you as a person, and I consider you to be a friend. Just here you're so annoying and your personality online is repulsive.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Lucas, please do me a favor and stop responding to Chris. This isn't the, "Let's point out Inui's elitism AGAIN" thread. Take it up somewhere else. Inui is allowed to be cocky if he wants, as long as he's constructive.

Chris, I already told you, if you don't like Inui's attitude online, then the best thing to do is ignore him. He FLORISHES in engagements like this. You're watering the weeds.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
The following posts are not constructive to the topic. You should know by now that engaging Inui here is not constructive in any sense, and quite frankly, it's getting in my way.

There were lots of jokes in this thread already, and that's fine, but they were accompanied by constructive stuff, even if it was just a supportive or critical opinion. Like I said, if you just want to joke around, then go take it up in the old thread.

dan can i come over your house to practice alot this week. lol ar we ll in school.
Probably not I'm sick.

And the NJ community's division continues even more :laugh:
Sadly.

JFox started it, and I don't give a **** about the Melee community since Brawl came out so this is what happens.

Some of the people are cool, some are more rediculous than the Brawl community, no lie.

Rather deal with immature children then immature adults :D
JFox put alot of time into that thread, why should he give it away to someone else, especially someone he doesn't like (inui)?
And this is you lose respect on a daily basis.
well basically inui came in and stopped all the changes and now this is the old thread

wassup all
well basically some NY kid came in and made a pointless post after ignoring what inui posted

wassup all

Also, this is an example of what Yes! often does, and an example of a purely destructive post.
i didn't do the ignoring you did

hence i said you stopped the change

brah

edit - i offered plenty of positive posts in the past 2 pages

u mad
Lucas, you're not the president, you're not "elite" and you're not special. You're a person who plays super smash brothers brawl, just like everyone else here. You just happen to do better than some people in tourney. That's it. Don't act like you're anything more than that, and maybe people won't hate you as much.

Don't get me wrong though. Outside of smash I like you as a person, and I consider you to be a friend. Just here you're so annoying and your personality online is repulsive.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Inui, Keitaro, Pierce7d, Eazy, and one more person that should be from 100% Juice. I strongly recommend Doom.
I agree. I see no GOOD reasons why Doom shouldn't be on the panel. If he proves to be detrimental, we can always just remove him. It is not an non-reversible selection.

NJ has many powerful players. I'm not against the honorable mentions list being big. I am strongly against cutting the list down. I want it to stay at 15. Our state is active and big.
I disagree. We lost m2k, but ADHD stepped it up and is rising as a super power. Unfortunately, then we lost Ksizzle. Zucco is stepping it up to replace him in terms of power, but we never fully got over losing Spam, DM, and Blackwaltz. NJ's power is dwindling. MOB players have been dwindling activity, and Juice seems to be falling apart. Malcolm seems to be playing mostly in NY (granted Jersey hasn't had many tourneys in state lately).

Honestly, I don't think of power when I look at the 11 through 15 ranks. I also don't think OOS players would heavily consider those players as threats. Top 10 gets the point across way clearer, fosters competition, and has more meaning. There are only about 50 players in NJ that are active anyway.

Skill opinions and other events can help break ties.
True
False. Seasons were cut to two months due to NJ changing too much these days in terms of skill and activity. Lists get outdated too easily.
Agreed

The current season will end after the first weekend of December. The current season started October 3rd, so it should end the first weekend of the month two months after it, right? Cool.
Agreed

Events later in the season have more weight. This is true and logical.
Sometimes, not as a general rule. Wins against players who are extremely consistent are unaffected by time, such as my win over Lain, or Zucco's win over Meep.

You and Zucco are really adorable for assuming you're both going to be above me this season. :laugh:
Though I never said such a thing, I'm relatively sure I will be.

Sets will be analyzed individually. The votes of plebians mean nothing.
Meaning what? That the panel will determine how much a set counts? In that case, true.

I also agree with Inui about particular sets counting. For instance, I beat Pyronic Star and Chibo at DSO this weekend. MK was banned, however I used Marth (and a tad bit of Falco) as I normally do. Chibo used ROB and P~S used Olimar as they normally do. I see no reason for these sets not to count. I see no reason for Atomsk's win not to count over ADHD just because MK was banned.

Also, my point about low tiers remains the same as it did before. Low tier matches count if:

a) Opponent mains (not secondaries) a low tier character
b) The match would result in one or more players placing in the money.

If Espy is a Sonic Main, and Inui beat him while he was using Sonic, then it counts, so long as that tournament had an entry fee, which therefore implies that Espy was competing for money and should not have been sandbagging. Only Inui's character appears to be variable. However, just because Inui used Ike doesn't mean it counts as more than merely a regular win.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I agree with everything Dan said, except NJ is still super **** because new players replace the old all the time. Did you notice how Seph got beastly? Don't sleep on NJ, broski. We are gdlk.

Eazy23

Smash Lord
I agree with Dan as well. If someone had a mk that no 1 knew about, than it probably would have gotten wrecked regardless lmao. But the fact of the matter is that when the rules don't change how a set goes down, when the set is exactly like it would be in a standard singles tourny, there is no reason not 2 count it.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Cool. First order of business is using the current panel to vote on the new panel. Basically, this entails getting the opinions of Keitaro and Eazy's opinion of whether they agree to Doom on the panel. If not, why not, AND who would you recommend in his place. I STRONGLY disagree with having an even number of panelists, and STRONGLY prefer 5 over seven or three.

Eazy23

Smash Lord
I don't like the insinuation that being a panelist is difficult or logically draining. An extreme amount of bias would make the process difficult, but honestly, having more than 1 person making the list stops that from happening to much. I see no problem with Doom being a panelist. We could have random panelists tbh, the lists should come out similar. Just because people like Me, Inui, Dan like to debate and can articulate very well doesn't increase the difficulty in being a panelist, although it may increase the perception of difficulty.

Edit- This will NOT become the old thread. Keep the bs in the old one. Please adhere to Dan's wishes and be mature and constructive within this realm of discussion.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Very well said Erik. Completely agreed.

Even though I'm slightly ill, I'm glad to hear that Trev. Which reminds me, I can't team with you, because I'm teaming with Ether. He asked me right after Vex said he's not coming, and I won't ditch him.

Now, I believe that's three votes to an unknown Keitaro vote for putting Max on the panel. It's done then.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
It's sad that 80% of this state would not like low tiers to count yet you guys think it should. Your opinions for why it should count are understable but I still believe it should not but my opinion doesn't matter anymore since its basically overuled.

I honestly can't think of anyone else that could be a panelist anyway so we might as well have Doom become one. We've discussed him as a panelist before in the old thread and he never became one if I'm correct so it's not like this discussion wasn't brought up before Pierce. As Eazy said, one person's opinion won't take over, as my own opinion on low tiers and MK banned didn't, so it's fine.

It's gonna be some crazy *** decisions going on between us come ranking time. I believe it can make our rankings more accurate though. Time for class.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
@Keitaro

I am all for hearing an argument for WHY low tiers should not count (anyone can provide such an argument) under the conditions that I have listed. Beating my semi-established Mario still doesn't count, nor would Zucco's Ness. Beating Kai's Sonic on the other hand would. Similarly, Kai gets ranking bonuses because he is able to win a low tier event, which shows a competent amount of skill, and deserves to be credited at least in the finals matches.

by the way:

DID YOU KNOW that you can click on the thread tools drop down menu at the top of a page to subscribe to it without posting?

Zucco

Smash Master
O so the season ends in December? Well that was a waste of 30 bucks on Sunday lol.
You and Zucco are really adorable for assuming you're both going to be above me this season. :laugh:

get your head out of the clouds fool :)

fkacyan

Smash Hero
@Keitaro

I am all for hearing an argument for WHY low tiers should not count (anyone can provide such an argument) under the conditions that I have listed. Beating my semi-established Mario still doesn't count, nor would Zucco's Ness. Beating Kai's Sonic on the other hand would. Similarly, Kai gets ranking bonuses because he is able to win a low tier event, which shows a competent amount of skill, and deserves to be credited at least in the finals matches.

by the way:

DID YOU KNOW that you can click on the thread tools drop down menu at the top of a page to subscribe to it without posting?
Dan, the issue is that low tiers is a side event, and that brings a lot of baggage with it past the restricted character list. When I don't pay as much money for something, in my mind it is of lower quality, less importance, and thus do not care nearly as much. If you break your $5 headphones, you will be less pissed off than if you break your $10 ones. The same concept applies here: Many people will be entering low tiers for **** and giggles and not as many will be entering to actually win, especially because we have low tiers giants like Kai entering every event.

In the context of YOUR point, why should Kai get credit for those tournies? Kai is just going around beating non-mains with his main. As far as getting credit for beating him is concerned, well...

Here is is my idea, as it stands for low tiers. There are two main points:
- Low tiers, by default, does not count.
- If you want low tiers to count for your rank in particular, then you should talk to a panelist on a set-by-set basis.

This does several things: Causes there to have to be set panelists (Seriously, guys, you shouldn't have to argue every season), causes people to understand what goes into rankings, and eliminates a lot of the "Well I beat X ranked person in low tiers while he was using C. Falcon, thus I should get ranked because I beat him!" in threads we tend to see. I'll be honest, you through in some beauacracy and it causes most of the illegitimate whiners to not care enough to protest.

I won't be able to reply for a while, installing Windows 7. Man, I got so lucky today, slept in and missed class to find out the class was cancelled.

Zucco

Smash Master
Meh. As previously said, NJs power has dropped. We arent as strong as we used to be. Back then a top 15 would be fine but honestly I think a Top 10 would be the better choice for now.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Nj is considered the best state in the US. Whats wrong with a top 15?
Let's consider the typical NJ tourney attendance list. We typically have anywhere from 5-15 of the top-ranked people from other regions here. Including our own top 10, that's ostensibly 25 people who will place better than you or equal to you, putting you in, on average, the top 32.

Ranking people past the top 16 (Tourney placings, I mean) becomes very risky, biased business.

daisho

Smash Lord
@Keitaro

by the way:

Beating Kai's sonic is not an accomplishment if he doesn't train at all for that matchup.

If he uses his diddy for that matchup normally but is forced to use sonic then I can't see any reason why that should actually count.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
Why not Ether for panelist? Also Doom is good choice too..

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
Would it be possible to add the Blue Brawl Pre-heady thing. It'll be that much easier to find this thing.

Also Panelist, are there even 10-15 players with 3 tournaments yet?

Zucco

Smash Master
I have a suggestion. Would it possible to just make it that going to a NY tourney would also count for the 2 NJ tourneys you need to get ranked? Many of us would Agree that NJ/NY is one region, even if we do have separate power rankings. Alot of us go to NY if there isn't a tourney going on in Jersey, which happens alot due to NJ being so sparse on tourneys atm.

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
Beating Kai's Sonic on the other hand would. Similarly, Kai gets ranking bonuses because he is able to win a low tier event, which shows a competent amount of skill, and deserves to be credited at least in the finals matches.
I would normally give Inui a smartass response to this but since I was explaining it to him and you may not have read it I'll explain now.

Low tiers does not provide all the options to players. This means that I have access to Sonic but not Diddy. The problem with this is a normal singles match will not play out the same way. I do not use Sonic for PT or Ike and they along with Bowser are the bigger threats in low tiers(ness being sonic's biggest one but I do use sonic for ness). Now, allow me to give an example of why I disagree with it counting. Blue and I had a mm for $5. I won game one and 2 stocked his PT with Diddy. Game two he picks RC, so I went Sonic and he won. Then the next two games I go Diddy and 2 stock him in both games. In low tiers he could have very well beaten me had I not had access to Diddy vs his PT. The result? He gets awarded, I get punished for tie breaking instances when in reality had it been a normal singles event I would get rewarded and that tie break instance wouldn't exist.

Another issue I have about cases being studied and counting individually. I don't care for that but it would be much better. The problem is, people do NOT SAY THE SAME THINGS THAT ARE SHOWN IN THEIR ACTIONS. Inui marked me as a win when he beat me, not a "low tier win", a win. Your point about my skill in winning a low tier event wouldn't count too by Inui's own words. He constantly said placings don't matter it's who you beat. Why would first place mean anything if I get no significant wins from the event or even if I do why would 1st count? It would be the wins themselves.

The whole arguement of low tiers counting is bc of "mains". Yes, Sonic is one of my mains. This doesn't mean I use him for every character in the game. I use Diddy for a lesser portion of the cast then Sonic yes, but PT and Ike would be counted against me in low tiers when the matchup would simply never happen. He is a main but what good is a main if you don't use them in the matchups they are trained for?

My last point bc this was brought up is to address double bilnd picks. If I picked Sonic and my opponent got Lucario, by my logic it wouldnt count. This isn't true. In singles you have all of your options. If you get a bad first game or CP'd hard you should be able to see it coming. This is why I will ALWAYS pick Diddy game 1 when I know someone has multiple strong mains while one of them is a matchup that is horrible for Sonic or one that I just don't know. To my knowledge Diddy will always have safe options, not Sonic.

If you want Low tier wins to count for SOMETHING, my suggestion would be to have it count for tie breakers if anything. If you SAY something, please back it up with your actions. The panel did not do this when this nonsense was brought up as counting.

No disrespect intended to you Pierce with caps. They are just things I'm stressing.

Edit: top 10 sounds good.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
Yeah... I was thinking that too.. I get no cred for beating people in low tier tourns, yet if I were to lose.. Id get punished and the other person rewarded.. DUMB.. low tiers shouldn't count..

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
Yeah... I was thinking that too.. I get no cred for beating people in low tier tourns, yet if I were to lose.. Id get punished and the other person rewarded.. DUMB.. low tiers shouldn't count..
That sounds a bit biased. I'm still talking about how we get screwed over of course lol, but why, and why it isn't accurate or fair.

Eazy23

Smash Lord
I'm not typing to be politically correct so deal with it.

I feel there are instances, as I've said in the past, where it would be reasonable to count low tier wins. Can we please revisit the time of ethics and honesty? Where people praised others for victory, and aided in making the losers stronger?

All I see right now are people, through words, trying to make themselves better than they are. And in response, others feel the need, through words, to defend themselves.

If someone outplays you, admit it, accept it, respect it. If you know you got a flukey win, be honest about it.

Kai, you know I have tons of respect for you. But look at things in relation to smasher to smasher. If we fight in low tiers, you know you are locked on to sonic basically. No you don't have diddy, but you have your brain and your exp, which should be enough in low tiers imo. We fight, have an amazing set in which I slightly outplay you. As smashers there should be mutual respect for the way the set went and the result. So up until this point there is no problem. Why then, would that victory helping me and my rank, become a problem for you, a fellow smasher? You know I played my a$$ off for that win, and you want to devalue it's potential in showing the world how good I am, for what reason exactly?

As a smasher, you should respect that this victory means something to me, as well as displays my skill level. This shouldn't be perceived as a negative imo. And anyone who MAKES this a negative is an a$$.

All of these issues that we have in NJ are due to aspects outside of the game. People are not honest, which results in these quarrels.

If someone beats you in tourny, do not search for any slight illegitimacy to save face. Because at the end of the day you either won or you did not. THAT is what matters in smash, not that the timer was set to 6 minutes at this tourney and pictochat was legal(OMG)

Pryde- Every tournament you win adds on to your legacy. People around the WORLD know who you are because of your tournament placings. What else do you want? If you enter a low tier tourny, you are expected to do well, and people expect to continue to see you as one of the best yoshi's period. THIS is what you get for winning. If you lose, you get nothing because you did not win. That is how competition usually works.

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master

I feel there are instances, as I've said in the past, where it would be reasonable to count low tier wins. Can we please revisit the time of ethics and honesty? Where people praised others for victory, and aided in making the losers stronger?

All I see right now are people, through words, trying to make themselves better than they are. And in response, others feel the need, through words, to defend themselves.

If someone outplays you, admit it, accept it, respect it. If you know you got a flukey win, be honest about it.

Kai, you know I have tons of respect for you. But look at things in relation to smasher to smasher. If we fight in low tiers, you know you are locked on to sonic basically. No you don't have diddy, but you have your brain and your exp, which should be enough in low tiers imo. We fight, have an amazing set in which I slightly outplay you. As smashers there should be mutual respect for the way the set went and the result. So up until this point there is no problem. Why then, would that victory helping me and my rank, become a problem for you, a fellow smasher? You know I played my a$$ off for that win, and you want to devalue it's potential in showing the world how good I am, for what reason exactly?

As a smasher, you should respect that this victory means something to me, as well as displays my skill level. This shouldn't be perceived as a negative imo. And anyone who MAKES this a negative is an a$$.

All of these issues that we have in NJ are due to aspects outside of the game. People are not honest, which results in these quarrels.

If someone beats you in tourny, do not search for any slight illegitimacy to save face. Because at the end of the day you either won or you did not. THAT is what matters in smash, not that the timer was set to 6 minutes at this tourney and pictochat was legal(OMG)

Pryde- Every tournament you win adds on to your legacy. People around the WORLD know who you are because of your tournament placings. What else do you want? If you enter a low tier tourny, you are expected to do well, and people expect to continue to see you as one of the best yoshi's period. THIS is what you get for winning. If you lose, you get nothing because you did not win. That is how competition usually works.
Your addressing my personal reactions but it's different people. If you beat me, I wouldn't try to demean it. It will vary with person to person how I will react. I may not mention it but I will have my personal view on the match either way whether I express it or not.

I'm not talking about good sportsmanship and friendly competition. I'm talking about what I think is fair. If I was being nice to everyone conflicts like this wouldn't involve me but I'd rather speak on what I think is fair(whether I care or not). I could say the same thing about you. Why bother to count your win over me knowing I'm not at full strength? That sounds rude too

PRiDE

Smash Lord

whos pryde? hehehe whats with people adding that y to my name..

sigh if only I could win now a days ;P

Chen Li Cha

Smash Journeyman
Power hungry panelists, with one sided views. I think they should add more panelists, you know, ones that don't have an auto Inui mindset. Not saying it is bad or doesn't make sense, just saying that Inui and his pets tend to have the same thought process and that usually goes against all of NJ. That makes no sense, also, when did pierce become a nazi? Bad enough he doesn't cook his liver but w/e. I want you all to join the debating hall, just to make inflated egos get dempsy rolled. I think Ether's turbo and some others should be ranking. Panelists should reflect NJ but you guys seem to do what you want anyway.
You all are dirty ****ing animals that breed within caves, 0 brains and less intelligent than a pakistian Zebra. Sorry, just trying to be rude like other smashers :( to be herd. I just said this to post my video and not make it look like spam- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpV3iwSONxA

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
brawls on its downhill slope now, which is why some people have been taking long breaks, quitting, ect

a top 15 list is well deserved in NJ. if not def make a top 10 with a 5 long list of honors or hall of fame.
sure NJs power isnt what it used to be but we are hella of a state and anyone who trains here gets really good.

and then u go to ohio and win tournies there ;)

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
^This man is a secret tourny slayer. He will be destroyed next time. No sly trickery that time cris
semi quit, come back the day of the tourny and rayhpe

lol kai " evertime i throw a naner u shield, evertime i jump at u, you nair"

then dont do it!

but don't go sonic either XD

Top Bottom