• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NJ/NY Rankings: New Rankings 9/25/12!!!

Eazy23

Smash Lord
I would need to hear that from one of the people who main a LT character. Kai has been honest thus far, so I see no reason that he would lie. If he says that they take it less seriously, then I will believe him.

As of now, I'd think that if anything, a person who mains a lt char, will try HARDER to do well, because they have an advantage that can win them money. Why would a falcon main bs in low tiers? It is his ONLY chance to win money.

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
I stick by my points I made about low tiers. I'd disagree with CY comparing the payout of Gamingworld to low tiers. Gamingworld is $10 and Low tiers is a much greater payout than that all the time.

As for Gamingworld in particular, I have stated that I think NOTHING from there should count unless it was a $5 mm. When Orion and I have gone in the past we have specifically told each other which garbage character we would be trying to win the event with. I don't see how anything cold be taken seriously with a $3 fee(free bc I bring a wii) and $10 payout.

Btw, since I'm going to bed shortly I didn't want to go without thanking you for actually discussing and not turning it into demeaning garbage like Lucas does. I know you know you don't do that but I didn't want it to go unsaid. I'm sure we'll be discussing this all again soon but until then, gnight.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Why would a falcon main bs in low tiers? It is his ONLY chance to win money.
heheheheh....You have no idea how fun that is to do. :)

To make this constructive so Dan doesn't yell at me...

Low tiers are meant to be a fun diversion from the seriousness of the actual tournament. Most people think "cool, no mk/diddy/snake/etc." and just enter for fun.

Wooj

Smash Journeyman
i vote for top ten if anything. not that i alone am gunna make a difference.

daisho

Smash Lord
"side events" shouldn't count
Honestly that is the least constructive post I have seen in this thread. Even the joke posts were better.

If you are going to make a blunt statement you have to back it up.

Why do you feel side events shouldn't count?
Is it that people don't take it seriously and aren't trying their hardest?
Is it that they shouldn't be as important because this is merely a Singles ranking?
Is it that you don't think an event that isn't played at every tournament should count for rankings?

Just making a blunt statement and then leaving is useless and not constructive for the thread. If you want to make such a statement, bring your reasoning. Then someone else can bring reasoning to counter your's and we can all try to see whose is better. Making a statement " 'side events' shouldn't count" is foolish and not helpful.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
he's the talk of the town, takin down DDDs and winning sets in under 5 min
And you expect people to not talk about the MK ban in your weeklies thread? You can't even respect what the panelists here have asked for, and you're a god**** moderator.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
As for unconstructive posts, who the hell said I made this thread for constructive posting? I just about made this thread to completely replace the old one before it so we can have control, actually, so I can regain control.

If anyone wants to ***** about constructive posting or not go ahead, but I'm not making this thread have random restrictions on it that no other thread has.

Want restrictions, call a mod.

BIGM1994

Smash Champion
cyanide i really haven't took singles serious yet at any of the gaming world matches. why i used mk on you...idk really didn't feel like using him though also in a bad slump, don't judge me off that set. also im not wanting it to be top 15 cuz i wanna be on it, its not gonna happen, im not even going meta anymore the rest of this season. i wouldnt mind making it though, i just dont think its gonna happen, ive been horrible, and doing bad lately. WATCH OUT FOR WOLF!

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I'm feeling a bit better guys :3
That's good to hear.

It's sad that 80% of this state would not like low tiers to count yet you guys think it should. Your opinions for why it should count are understable but I still believe it should not but my opinion doesn't matter anymore since its basically overuled.
Sorry, but something like my win over Espy isn't going to be negated when it was for cash and he is a 100% Sonic main and I won in a severely disadvantageous match-up (lol at Kai not being happy with 70/30 and needing to 80/20 Ike instead, what a coward).

I honestly can't think of anyone else that could be a panelist anyway so we might as well have Doom become one. We've discussed him as a panelist before in the old thread and he never became one if I'm correct so it's not like this discussion wasn't brought up before Pierce. As Eazy said, one person's opinion won't take over, as my own opinion on low tiers and MK banned didn't, so it's fine.
Doom is awesome. Let's call it official and go with him.

I have a suggestion. Would it possible to just make it that going to a NY tourney would also count for the 2 NJ tourneys you need to get ranked? Many of us would Agree that NJ/NY is one region, even if we do have separate power rankings. Alot of us go to NY if there isn't a tourney going on in Jersey, which happens alot due to NJ being so sparse on tourneys atm.
Nope. We are still New Jersey. Attend New Jersey events, broski. There are more than enough.

I'm not typing to be politically correct so deal with it.

I feel there are instances, as I've said in the past, where it would be reasonable to count low tier wins. Can we please revisit the time of ethics and honesty? Where people praised others for victory, and aided in making the losers stronger?

All I see right now are people, through words, trying to make themselves better than they are. And in response, others feel the need, through words, to defend themselves.

If someone outplays you, admit it, accept it, respect it. If you know you got a flukey win, be honest about it.

Kai, you know I have tons of respect for you. But look at things in relation to smasher to smasher. If we fight in low tiers, you know you are locked on to sonic basically. No you don't have diddy, but you have your brain and your exp, which should be enough in low tiers imo. We fight, have an amazing set in which I slightly outplay you. As smashers there should be mutual respect for the way the set went and the result. So up until this point there is no problem. Why then, would that victory helping me and my rank, become a problem for you, a fellow smasher? You know I played my a$$ off for that win, and you want to devalue it's potential in showing the world how good I am, for what reason exactly?

As a smasher, you should respect that this victory means something to me, as well as displays my skill level. This shouldn't be perceived as a negative imo. And anyone who MAKES this a negative is an a$$.

All of these issues that we have in NJ are due to aspects outside of the game. People are not honest, which results in these quarrels.

If someone beats you in tourny, do not search for any slight illegitimacy to save face. Because at the end of the day you either won or you did not. THAT is what matters in smash, not that the timer was set to 6 minutes at this tourney and pictochat was legal(OMG)

Pryde- Every tournament you win adds on to your legacy. People around the WORLD know who you are because of your tournament placings. What else do you want? If you enter a low tier tourny, you are expected to do well, and people expect to continue to see you as one of the best yoshi's period. THIS is what you get for winning. If you lose, you get nothing because you did not win. That is how competition usually works.
qft x ten million

good stuff

I think that only low tier matches resulting in the winner placing in the money should count towards rankings.
I think...tournament sets should be analyzed individually by competent panelists and then given an appropriate amount of weight. :) Wow, where have we heard that before?

Panel, can we vote on top 10 vs. top 15?
15 with a decent sized honorable mentions list that takes note of legends (Kashif, Ryoko, etc.) at all times.

Scenerio A.

Eazy and Kai enter the same amount of events in a season. We somehow fight the same people in brackets in our events and beat the same exact people.

There are just a few differences between our performances.

I have a win over
kirin
boss
ryko
shugo
puffster
all in low tiers.

I think it unreasonable not to rank me ahead of kai in this scenerio. I find it reasonable, based on a "I COULD HAVE USED" claim, to devalue my wins to NOTHING. Because if they wont help me get ranked, and the players can just say they would use their other chars for the mu, then no 1 even takes my win seriously at all. Which is BULL my friends, bull.
more godliness from Eazy

GGs

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
It's already obvious the panel will vote that it counts for me and a few other people and that every match we play is a rankings risk while the others it's gain only. It's not suprising and I know the vote favors it anyway considering the panelists expressing their views already.
Of course if you're better than everyone else it's only going to hurt you. Every set ADHD plays is a rankings risk because he has only one place to go: down. If you have a problem with people getting the appropriate amount of credit(not saying the same as beating your Diddy) for beating your Sonic then don't use him.

Chen Li Cha

Smash Journeyman
Well, ADHD could of went snake on halbread vs him being forced to stay diddy, in imaginary tiers.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
15 with a decent sized honorable mentions list that takes note of legends (Kashif, Ryoko, etc.) at all times.
I'm really surprised you feel this way about the rankings list size. For somebody who likes to go on about how strong NJ is, I'm not sure you realize how weak the 11-15 ranks are, and how weak they make the list look as a whole.

@Bigm: I do not own the game, I play on average once a month, and you depend heavily upon Nado and MK's smashes, so I'm not concerned about your wolf at all.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
*wakes up from 25 hour nap*

NY (and possibly PA too) events should count towards the rankings. What with the drastic decrease in NJ events recently AND the shortening of the season, it would only make sense for NY (or tristate in general) tournaments to allow somebody to become eligible for the rankings.

I do not think that Gamingworld Friday weeklies should count towards activity or for wins/losses. The entry fee is pathetically small ($3), the payouts are stupid ($10 for first in singles, $5 for second in singles, $5 each for first in teams REGARDLESS of the pot). They also have a ridiculous bracket system (single elimination unless you lose first round, then you get sent to losers for singles, teams is single elimination). It's hardly a real tournament, it's more like pay (an abnormally high collective venue fee for a ****ty venue, lol at $45 singles pot and them paying out $15 last week)-to-play.

I'm on the fence about the whole low tier dilemma. Eazy and Kai both have very strong points, and I cannot decide who to side with at all.

I'm also on the fence about 10 vs. 15, but I'm leaning towards 10. The only individual state with a top 15 besides us is Washington, as far as I know, and I can't say I've heard of anyone past 10th there. It kinda makes them look bad to have players like that listed. No matter how good our 11-15 are (and all of them certainly are good players), it just doesn't look right to have nearly 1/3 of our active scene put on a list like that. With the strength and activity of the state dropping, it seems perfectly reasonable to drop the amount of people on the rankings. Being one of the top 15 in New Jersey at its peak in Brawl was certainly an accomplishment, but now it's just not the same.

Max Ketchum

What Ether said. I said individual state, lol. New England also has 15, but they're like, 7 states.

kingz-night-mare

Smash Lord
Wow, completely skimmed that post...

Also, for events like gamingworld the finals should count for PR since technically it is a 5 dollar MM.
As simple as this post was, It brings up A VERY good point. Any thing counting for money for more than 5$ should be counted even at something silly like gaming world.

kingz-night-mare

Smash Lord
Single elimination and best of 3 finals are not tournament standard

Okay but best out of 5 GF's should count because thats what we did and besides the fact that are all 5$ mms regarding the prs are not ALWAYS best of 5, therefore your logic has a flaw in it.:p

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Single elimination and best of 3 finals are not tournament standard
Whenever me and Orion go you know singles runs properly.

That said, kingz, all the finals matches were splits due to time constraints the last time we were there, so I have no idea what you're arguing for.

Max Ketchum

If the sets are REAL best of 5s in finals (which they were at the one last week), then I suppose those sets should count. Due to "time constraints" (them not knowing how to run a tournament and refusing my help/Tio), they cut some sets down to single matches last time, and finals down to best of 3. Of course, real players disregarded this and played how they should (me vs. Big M grand finals, R3mix vs. P_wii).

Maybe the finals should count as a $10 money match, then. But it shouldn't count towards attendance of an event (because it is by no means a real tournament), nor should matches outside of proper tournament procedure that occur there (and, in my opinion, any non-finals sets, lol @ best of 1 and their ******** brackets).

Top Bottom