• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"No Swagger Like Us" - a Pit tournament results thread(updated 1/24/12)

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I'd rather take the easier route. I'm not a solo Pit, I main pikachu as well and have used pikachu since 64. If I conveniently use a character that I can perform significantly better against a certain character then the obvious decision is to use that character and increase my chances of winning/having a better time.
^^^^ You basically just said what i said above w/more elaboration lol. That's what i do most of the time as well.

Which character we talkin boutz out of curiosity

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
let's all lay out our mains and who we use em for. it sounds like it'll be kinda fun

pit:
he is my general character main. i use him for literally every1 except g&w and most of the time wario.

Marth:
he is my first main in brawl that i stuck with. i can use him for whoever i want. but i choose to use him strictly g&w and wario. however sometimes when i can't get into a pit mood or just really feel my marth i will use him for every1 and not even use pit except for DDD and MK (while i would not say im as good as say kuro or masashi against mk with pit, i do know i've got a good hold on that mu and can say for me it is -1, as opposed to -2).

then as i've said before, in brawl i have this alternate personality (in a strictly gaming sense) that comes out when i can't feel pit/marth. that makes it so that i become a fox/falco/rob main.

fox:
i use him against every1 that i know i can outplay as a person against as well as just in general. the only people who i don't use him for are (duh) sheik, (duh) pikachu, and i don't play marths with fox.

falco:
pretty much use him as much as i use fox. this way they have to switch their playstyles to match my spacie.

ROB:
pretty much just use him to cover fox and falco's bad MUs. also can use him in general but i don't really ever.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
^^^^ You basically just said what i said above w/more elaboration lol. That's what i do most of the time as well.

Which character we talkin boutz out of curiosity
It was against No-Idea's Samus. He outcamped me :(

Pit: I use Pit for most of the cast since I've mained him since release. Exceptions are GaW, Wario, sometimes mk and spacies.

Pikachu: I've used him since 64 so I'll go pika if I feel like it unless it's Marth, Olimar, Diddy Kong, Lucario, Snake, or ROB. Mainly my Wario/Spacie counter. If I feel like the spacies have a pocket mgay then I'll just stay Pit.

Diddy Kong: Picking him up for GaW. meh

Kirby: Also used since 64, but don't really feel like getting competitive with him. I do go Kirby if I win game 1, my opponent cp's rainbow or brinstar, and I know I can win game 3 if I switch back to Pit or Pikachu.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
It was against No-Idea's Samus. He outcamped me :(

Pit: I use Pit for most of the cast since I've mained him since release. Exceptions are GaW, Wario, sometimes mk and spacies.

Pikachu: I've used him since 64 so I'll go pika if I feel like it unless it's Marth, Olimar, Diddy Kong, Lucario, Snake, or ROB. Mainly my Wario/Spacie counter. If I feel like the spacies have a pocket mgay then I'll just stay Pit.

Diddy Kong: Picking him up for GaW. meh

Kirby: Also used since 64, but don't really feel like getting competitive with him. I do go Kirby if I win game 1, my opponent cp's rainbow or brinstar, and I know I can win game 3 if I switch back to Pit or Pikachu.
Ahh samus. I had trouble till we recruited a crew mate with a beyond legit samus(mains diddy tho). Its not that hard once u figure out several key things :p. The biggest annoyer is zair which even still isnt terrible. I dont have to really worry about too many GaW but if i run into one in tourney (after my pit deal) i just go snake and go HAHAHAHHAHA WHAT NOW SON <3. Cuz i have legit GaW practice with snake/falco. Honestly....im still toying around with who im gonna use vs. wario. I cant really decide. Its either gonna be mk,falco, or snake. Whoever i have more fun w/in the mu lol. A wario tried to time out my mk and once i got the lead back it was kinda funny how boring that was to time him out so i prolly wont go mk. Pit does well vs fox. Wolf is kinda interesting cuz that bair. Falco....im still learning with pit. It's weird for my playstyle. Vs mk i use falco/pit. Or snake if ik they are lower level then me. Going all pit is interesting cuz its a new view on things. Which is one of the reasons im doing this experiment/training. Cuz even tho after this i'd prolly go another character...i still want to KNOW the mu. Especially for pocket CP's.

fUddO

Smash Ace
All Pit, yeahh!!

I get owned by MK though. Does anyone know any safe options? So far I've had luck with SH Dair when he's running approaching, and forward roll into Utilt if he commits to anything on the ground. The thing is, I don't think either option is actually safe... :(

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
uh. pit can punish him a lot with dtilt. also since we are faster than him in the air, when we are gliding, and when we r in WOI all of those become legit retreats. but i play mk as gay as i can possibly can. all i do is run away pivot arrow, jab, dtilt, and plank. seriously if you have masashi like patience the mu is not that bad. also if you must recover high keep spamming that dair cause pit's dair>mk's shuttle loop.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
uh. pit can punish him a lot with dtilt. also since we are faster than him in the air, when we are gliding, and when we r in WOI all of those become legit retreats. but i play mk as gay as i can possibly can. all i do is run away pivot arrow, jab, dtilt, and plank. seriously if you have masashi like patience the mu is not that bad. also if you must recover high keep spamming that dair cause pit's dair>mk's shuttle loop.
Dude, seriously can you use proper grammar when making informational posts lol. You made it seem like Pit is generally faster than mk in the air which isn't true. Why would you glide anywhere near mk to retreat? Frame 2 uair and shuttle loop mah boy. WOI is good air mobility but if he lands an aerial shuttle loop and knocks us off the stage we die. Those aren't as legit against a GOOD mk as you think.

Masashi planking is key indeed, but I also disagree with spamming dair as it has pretty bad cool down and if you spam it mk can just shuttle loop to punish. Though if you get lucky, a dair to their shuttle loop can kill off the top at some early percents I'll give you that.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Dude, seriously can you use proper grammar when making informational posts lol. You made it seem like Pit is generally faster than mk in the air which isn't true. Why would you glide anywhere near mk to retreat? Frame 2 uair and shuttle loop mah boy. WOI is good air mobility but if he lands an aerial shuttle loop and knocks us off the stage we die. Those aren't as legit against a GOOD mk as you think.

Masashi planking is key indeed, but I also disagree with spamming dair as it has pretty bad cool down and if you spam it mk can just shuttle loop to punish. Though if you get lucky, a dair to their shuttle loop can kill off the top at some early percents I'll give you that.
Luck should have nothing to do with it. You use dair out of reaction(possible), out of an intuition of when they are going to(more plausible), or as a detterent in which u utilize to create an opening to fastfall AD and escape.

Theory wise, pit has like almost no safe options on him. But top moves to use in this mu are jab,grab,dtilt,fair,uair after grab/opening,arrows(not close), and fsmash for the kill. You have to keep it pretty basic and outplay them. Also, dont ever miss a punish. You have to punish as much as possible of the mk to make them a bit more wary.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
let's all lay out our mains and who we use em for. it sounds like it'll be kinda fun

pit:
he is my general character main. i use him for literally every1 except g&w and most of the time wario.

Marth:
he is my first main in brawl that i stuck with. i can use him for whoever i want. but i choose to use him strictly g&w and wario. however sometimes when i can't get into a pit mood or just really feel my marth i will use him for every1 and not even use pit except for DDD and MK (while i would not say im as good as say kuro or masashi against mk with pit, i do know i've got a good hold on that mu and can say for me it is -1, as opposed to -2).

then as i've said before, in brawl i have this alternate personality (in a strictly gaming sense) that comes out when i can't feel pit/marth. that makes it so that i become a fox/falco/rob main.

fox:
i use him against every1 that i know i can outplay as a person against as well as just in general. the only people who i don't use him for are (duh) sheik, (duh) pikachu, and i don't play marths with fox.

falco:
pretty much use him as much as i use fox. this way they have to switch their playstyles to match my spacie.

ROB:
pretty much just use him to cover fox and falco's bad MUs. also can use him in general but i don't really ever.
Hehe thx maha. Falco sub mains ftw lawl. I also experiment with lucario nowadays. He's so fun for me. And he owns peach :laugh:

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Luck should have nothing to do with it. You use dair out of reaction(possible), out of an intuition of when they are going to(more plausible), or as a detterent in which u utilize to create an opening to fastfall AD and escape.

Theory wise, pit has like almost no safe options on him. But top moves to use in this mu are jab,grab,dtilt,fair,uair after grab/opening,arrows(not close), and fsmash for the kill. You have to keep it pretty basic and outplay them. Also, dont ever miss a punish. You have to punish as much as possible of the mk to make them a bit more wary.
Whether you like it or not luck DOES play a role against metaknight in some aspects. Look at this logically. Our dair takes 9 startup frames and has a hitbox on frame 10 to 12 while aerial shuttle loop only takes 7 start up frames and has a hitbox on frame 8. So if the mk is in range and shuttle loops, there is no way we can react to that with a move as slow as our dair. If we DO get a hit, we used the move early and PREDICTED a shuttle loop at the right moment.

In that situation we DID get lucky because the best character has options. He could wait for our dair and punish with an uair easily or he could wait longer for us to use a FF airdodge and punish with a nair. Don't forget about tornado either. The chances of him using a shuttle loop for us to punish with dair are at least less that 40% if the mk plays smart and knows what his options are.

Still, if the person has a HABIT of using shuttle loop all the time you CAN exploit it with dair as a punisher because in this case they have a high chance of doing what they usually do since it normally worked out for them and you can surprise them with a dair because you have a strong feeling they will shuttle loop.

That list makes it seem like the best way to fight metaknight is on the ground which is helpful to me since I am an aerial Pit and I need to learn to stay grounded against mk.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Whether you like it or not luck DOES play a role against metaknight in some aspects. Look at this logically. Our dair takes 9 startup frames and has a hitbox on frame 10 to 12 while aerial shuttle loop only takes 7 start up frames and has a hitbox on frame 8. So if the mk is in range and shuttle loops, there is no way we can react to that with a move as slow as our dair. If we DO get a hit, we used the move early and PREDICTED a shuttle loop at the right moment.

In that situation we DID get lucky because the best character has options. He could wait for our dair and punish with an uair easily or he could wait longer for us to use a FF airdodge and punish with a nair. Don't forget about tornado either. The chances of him using a shuttle loop for us to punish with dair are at least less that 40% if the mk plays smart and knows what his options are.

Still, if the person has a HABIT of using shuttle loop all the time you CAN exploit it with dair as a punisher because in this case they have a high chance of doing what they usually do since it normally worked out for them and you can surprise them with a dair because you have a strong feeling they will shuttle loop.

That list makes it seem like the best way to fight metaknight is on the ground which is helpful to me since I am an aerial Pit and I need to learn to stay grounded against mk.
From watching ALL of Masashi's vids vs MK, numerous Pits vs MK, and from personal experience. Pit does best grounded vs MK. In the air, Pit is weak mainly because of the reasons you mentioned: MK's attack speed. His moves are too fast for Pit to deal with in the air, and most of Pit's grounded moves can challenge most of MKs moveset.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master

um did i say glide near him? no i did not. what i meant was if you glide under the stage to the other side and he is trying to follow he will not be able to keep up.

did i EVER say use woi when he is close? no i did not. what i meant was that on stage you can go into sh woi and retreat to the ledge. off stage if you need to go under the stage and he is following you WOI is faster than mk is.

while i did say spam dair, come on. every1 knows you have to do everything smartly, even spamming something takes skill in high level play

and who do you think you are to say i don't play good mk's? you keep taking all my posts and blowing them out of proportion or you put words in my mouth. i've played M 2 k, ive played the 3rd best mk on the west coast, ive played havok, hell i even got in a round against bardul's mk in friendlies at WG4. not to mention other mks i've played that aren't ranked but are still good players. and everything i said helped me either win or come close to it (im talking next hit wins close).

it's like you are assuming that im saying these things with the noobiest ****ing thoughts in mind when really you're just assuming that im near mk and starting a glide or that i dair camp him as a strategy and not just when im trying to land. or that im saying WOI when he can punish it. all of these should not even be an issue as any pit main that matters would know that is not what i mean because any pit that is smart knows when and when not to do these things.

if you want me to go into detail about a post i made then ask what i meant, don't just assume im some noob. it's insulting, rude, and im not gonna take it

im not trying to flame you luckay, but it seems like you are purposely insulting me and the people i play which please mistake me if im wrong because you have always been cool with me and i don't want this to be taken as insulting to you. like i said it just seems like you are raggin on mine and my friends player skills when you haven't even played any of us

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro

Eh im too ill-motivated to argue. As i've said b4 only reason mk wins this is juggling. If he couldnt juggle us we would win. Stay grounded at all times and as much as possible. Play smart,safe,space well and punish as much as possible you'll be fine.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
um did i say glide near him? no i did not. what i meant was if you glide under the stage to the other side and he is trying to follow he will not be able to keep up.

did i EVER say use woi when he is close? no i did not. what i meant was that on stage you can go into sh woi and retreat to the ledge. off stage if you need to go under the stage and he is following you WOI is faster than mk is.

while i did say spam dair, come on. every1 knows you have to do everything smartly, even spamming something takes skill in high level play

and who do you think you are to say i don't play good mk's? you keep taking all my posts and blowing them out of proportion or you put words in my mouth. i've played M 2 k, ive played the 3rd best mk on the west coast, ive played havok, hell i even got in a round against bardul's mk in friendlies at WG4. not to mention other mks i've played that aren't ranked but are still good players. and everything i said helped me either win or come close to it (im talking next hit wins close).

it's like you are assuming that im saying these things with the noobiest ****ing thoughts in mind when really you're just assuming that im near mk and starting a glide or that i dair camp him as a strategy and not just when im trying to land. or that im saying WOI when he can punish it. all of these should not even be an issue as any pit main that matters would know that is not what i mean because any pit that is smart knows when and when not to do these things.

if you want me to go into detail about a post i made then ask what i meant, don't just assume im some noob. it's insulting, rude, and im not gonna take it

im not trying to flame you luckay, but it seems like you are purposely insulting me and the people i play which please mistake me if im wrong because you have always been cool with me and i don't want this to be taken as insulting to you. like i said it just seems like you are raggin on mine and my friends player skills when you haven't even played any of us
Like I said if you used proper grammar and elaborated on what you meant in the first place I wouldn't misinterpret the things you say. I never said you were bad and I never said you only play bad mks. I can only go off of what you say. If you aren't saying enough then my analysis of your posts can take a wrong turn. :mad:

Gliding and using woi under the stage to the other side DO make sense, but why would you only include that part when you're being defensive?

fUddO

Smash Ace
Lol, I sort of sidetracked this topic. Honestly, I think that MK should be an ongoing matchup topic, since no one really agrees on how to fight him.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
Like I said if you used proper grammar and elaborated on what you meant in the first place I wouldn't misinterpret the things you say. I never said you were bad and I never said you only play bad mks. I can only go off of what you say. If you aren't saying enough then my analysis of your posts can take a wrong turn. :mad:

Gliding and using woi under the stage to the other side DO make sense, but why would you only include that part when you're being defensive?
touche indeed. i have a problem of just assuming that people know what i mean instead of explaining myself.

we should just start the pit vs mk discussion all over again instead of wasting time with match ups like zss and lucario which don't require much more than basic pit play. MK on the other hand requires us all to elaborate (which i will really try to work on from now on) and collaborate the things which we have found to work and give detail and video example. i mean does anyone even wanna talk other match ups before we get MK wrapped up? i feel i can handle pretty much any other match up to a degree without any prior knowledge of it.

however, i think we can all agree that metaknight is the most important matchup as he is the most common matchup people will either main or have a pocket of.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
touche indeed. i have a problem of just assuming that people know what i mean instead of explaining myself.

we should just start the pit vs mk discussion all over again instead of wasting time with match ups like zss and lucario which don't require much more than basic pit play. MK on the other hand requires us all to elaborate (which i will really try to work on from now on) and collaborate the things which we have found to work and give detail and video example. i mean does anyone even wanna talk other match ups before we get MK wrapped up? i feel i can handle pretty much any other match up to a degree without any prior knowledge of it.

however, i think we can all agree that metaknight is the most important matchup as he is the most common matchup people will either main or have a pocket of.
Nearly everything has been covered b4. As i said b4 we are gonna finish the ones that dont take that long first. That way we have all the time in the world for the higher up ones in importance.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
damn it. i just can't win. all of you are making to many good points about my flawed posts which i dont even think are flawed till it's pointed out lol. and i just started watching this mind boggling show on netflix called "LIE TO ME" and so im already brain tired.

**** it. ima go get a beer, shut up (pit discussion wise), and just wait until i can make a response that i know will have merit and meaning.

fUddO

Smash Ace
Nearly everything has been covered b4. As i said b4 we are gonna finish the ones that dont take that long first. That way we have all the time in the world for the higher up ones in importance.
As a long time lurker of the Pit boards, I can tell you that this never happens. Also, the Pit boards never seem to come to a consensus on how to approach the MU. The only thing anyone ever agrees on is that MK is OP, lol.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
As a long time lurker of the Pit boards, I can tell you that this never happens. Also, the Pit boards never seem to come to a consensus on how to approach the MU. The only thing anyone ever agrees on is that MK is OP, lol.
It does and it will happen. I as the mu thread holder will make sure of it.

Snopy

Smash Apprentice
fffff, placed 17.th again (out of 83). Went all GW and Pit (GW mainly in pools, Pit in bracket).

I'm really dissapointed of myself, I could have done much better. I took Leon to Game 3 in WB and went last stock, last hit against T in LB (and picked GW first match even tough I knew he had that KAAK experience. I'm so stupid lol)... but lost both matches. I really, REALLY have to work on my patience. When my opponent has the stock lead, I always **** up big time. ):

got 7.th with my partner in teams tough, beat some good teams. And again, lost really close in LB. We went Pit & MK nearly all sets.

link to the tournament results:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=299449

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Continue to post your results as I will be updating probably twice a month, but don't expect to see me here as often. This game...ugh--I love it, but I have to give it up for a while. My priorities need attention.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Forgot to post last weeks tourney:

17th of 38 at Xanadu 3/26/11

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=300373

Lost to Will and Junebug. Junebug got second so he's insanely good, I messed up a lot with trying to mirror shield his aura spheres and getting hit under the shield. Second time I played him in tournament, I need to money match him more since he's the only lucario practice i can get. Will I took to last stock, but he 2-0'd me. It wasn't that hard because he's a DK, that chaingrab, but he's got a playstyle above all other DK's so that's why I lost basically. He jab locked me out of his up b and I was like wtf?

This weekend was a small tourney

5th out of 11 at Let's Goes 4/2/11

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=300812

Lost to Logic and Bengalz. Logic is just good and Olimar is a dumb character to play for me so it's w/e. I could've beatin Bengalz had I played as smart as he was playing. I would try to punish with a grab countless times and he would read it and dolphin slash me every time. He was good at keeping me on the ledge like Marth does, but he couldn't punish me until I got back on stage so the Marth mu takes time, but its very doable. I also got caught under the stage with up b and my dumb judgement wouldn't let me take the safe route to the other side of the stage so I got gimped a couple times when I shouldn't have.

2nd out of 7 at Lets Goes midtiers

Lost to Lie's Kirby twice.

I took a set off him once, 3-1 so it was grand finals, but he 3-0'd me after that. Kirby is a tough matchup especially when he takes our arrows lol. His roll is also really hard to punish. I whiffed so many grabs and got punished. Needed to SH dair more. Super cold room numb finger tired johns, should have just split with him in grand finals so we left to get food earlier cuz I was hungry as ****.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
good **** chompy! placing top 10 with pit is legit.

luckay, you did fine with your placements imo. especially considering who you played against. i expect wins from everyone next time tho (myself included).

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
So I just won a tournament at my college. It was filled with a bunch of rollers and smash spammers so I never dropped a game, but still I got close to $200 so me = :grin:

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
So I just won a tournament at my college. It was filled with a bunch of rollers and smash spammers so I never dropped a game, but still I got close to $200 so me = :grin:
You are a genius, you know that. Maybe I can organize a tournament with all of the college kids I met in class and setup a tournament myself. Do you have any videos of you vs. your opponent in the grand finals, just to get an idea of what the match was like and how good they really are? :awesome:

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
The matches were like me two and 3 stocking them back to back. There was one lucario who got me down to last stock and thats it.

And esca I know it doesnt count, I'm just happy about winning money from playing this game.

Abel1994

Smash Lord
My school sucks lol I ask do they play brawl and they say yes then I ask if items are oon and they say yes and i ask who is the cheapest char and they all said wolf or mario....

that is just sad....

Top Bottom