• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Non-Stop Infinite Climax! Feat. AXE, TAI, and Texas' Best!

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
from what I can gather, DoH wants to come after his meeting if all goes timely. don't know about darkrain or wobbles.

but don't worry about them, FLT might make an appearance! :bee:

also, be careful you guys!

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
From what I gather Doh will be showing up after 2, and I can only imagine he'd bring along Darkrain, and apparently Sethlon. Idk about Wobbles.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
they are on their way now, and according to them, they will get here at around 10. however, I think they forgot the time lines. if I'm correct, they will be here around noon.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
meh, i cant go anyway so its not a big deal to me, and i dont really want to get into the "why this stage sux" debate now...

just saying, if texas wants to be legit, yall should try to follow the standard/conventional rules imo. :)

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
we are currently at the mcdonalds about 30 mins past tucson
ew McDonalds... lol

drive safely guys, yall aint driving through that huge national forest with the hairpin turns right? I wouldn't risk that **** at night time, it was scary enough during the day.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
meh, i cant go anyway so its not a big deal to me, and i dont really want to get into the "why this stage sux" debate now...

just saying, if texas wants to be legit, yall should try to follow the standard/conventional rules imo. :)
I would encourage discussion regarding the stagelist, as this stagelist will probably be incorporated into future Austin events.

I like the standard list, but it's simply out of preference for those stages and not because of any logical rationalization.

I divide stages into broken, advantageous, slightly advantageous, neutral. Some people believe advantageous stages should be considered counterpicks, but I don't really. People draw the line in different places and I think that's what the arguments about. At what point is a stage considered unplayable or unfair?

baka4moé

Smash Champion
hmm...the short/pragmatic answer is that its probably a bad idea to get austin smahers to think its ok to play on those stages since presumably other tournaments wont allow them anyway. its better to condition yourself to play on the just the other stages then, unless yall plan to attend austin tournaments only.

I don't remember the arguments for the stages since it was changed a while back. I think one of the main reasons was that having stages that heavily favor certain matchups/characters pretty much meant whoever one game 1 wins the set bc of counterpicks, and just the whole philosophy of trying to make the game as neutral as possible. Another thing was the random factor, like corneria's stary bullets or mute citys cars. Hopefully someone else can elaborate?

and, you can still have that rule where banned stages can be played if both players agree to it, i guess.

Kal

Smash Champion
If we want to be legit? Seriously? What value does "legitimacy" have if the standard ruleset is to ban stages unwarranted?

And regardless, I've turned on three banned stages. It's not like I've banned Fox and turned items on. Cut me a break.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
okkkkkkkk

maybe my word choice was bad, i apologize. by all means, i want smash in texas to flourish, believe me.

all i can say is that i don't think the standard ruleset is unwarranted, since the topic was discussed at length by several people that are knowledgeable about the game before they finally decided to change it. mmm and your second statement is silly, cuz youre asking me not to condemn something thats bad just because its not something thats worse..

erg i wish someone more knowledgeable than me could explain the reasoning behind the stages, cause the argument's there, but i just can't remember or articulate it well. does my previous post not make sense?

if you don't take them off for this saturday thats fine, since its been on the announcement for a while, but taking them off for future events seems like a good idea. hopefully others can give some input in this. when it comes right down to it though, you are the TO, so all i can give is a strong recommendation, and hope that others follow suit. to be clear though, i'm all for keeping melee alive in Texas :)

MT_

Smash Ace
Kal the truth is that you're the only person that wants a more liberal ruleset/stagelist. Nobody else wants to have Mute City, Corneria, and whatever else isn't on the MBR ruleset (and I personally believe that RC and Brinstar should be banned too but that's a different story).

Somehow you took the role of tournament director and made this stagelist that no one else really wants. The only person I can recall showing slight approval for the liberal ruleset was DoH, but that was mainly because he was pointing out that Mute City was banned while other stages were not, like Poke Floats.

The standard ruleset is standard because that's what most people play by. Asking other people to come to our tournament and force them to play by our rules is definitely leaning towards not legit.

Everytime people disagree with you, you return with sarcastic and condescending retorts like just now and makes it so no one really wants to argue with you. That's pretty much why no one has said anything else about the stages until now.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
so i talked to people and though there are a lot of reasons, probably the most relevant two reasons are what i said before, that a) the stages were reduced since whoever won game 1 pretty much won the set, and b) its honestly just a waste of time to play on stages that no other tournament everywhere else will leave on.

hope that clears up some things :)

also thanks for the support matt

EDIT: LOOOOOOOOOOL

Kal

Smash Champion
all i can say is that i don't think the standard ruleset is unwarranted, since the topic was discussed at length by several people that are knowledgeable about the game before they finally decided to change it. mmm and your second statement is silly, cuz youre asking me not to condemn something thats bad just because its not something thats worse..
If they would actually post the discussion, I would read into why those stages are bad and reach my own conclusions. I'm not going to just take their word for it that stages which have been legal for almost a decade are out of nowhere worth banning.

And I'm not asking you to just ignore your disagreements with the stagelist because it's not something that's worse. I'm just asking you to not blow it out of proportion.

baka4moé said:
so i talked to people and though there are a lot of reasons, probably the most relevant two reasons are what i said before, that a) the stages were reduced since whoever won game 1 pretty much won the set, and b) its honestly just a waste of time to play on stages that no other tournament everywhere else will leave on.
As far as I'm aware, a) has not been shown to be true to any degree. And, even if it were true, this has no real impact on whether you should ban a stage. You don't ban stages in some ad hoc attempt to balance the game. You ban them when they are broken or overcentralize the metagame, i.e., test too narrow a skillset or test skills which are not regarded as "worthwhile."

And b) is just nonsense. If the standard were items-on, would you be saying the same thing to an items-off tournament? I'm not going to use an inadequate ruleset because everyone else does.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
ok sorry guys i tried =[ i really dont wanna argue anymore. matt you were right lol.

kal i think you have a different idea of how competitive smash should be from the majority of the smash community.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Considering the number of experienced, high level smashers attending, I think we should be able to agree on something fair...

Looks like Oklahoma is out guys, I tried my best...
Well, Solidusspriggan and DualCats wanted to come, but they needed a couple more to pay for gas.
So this tourney is gonna be ATX, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas and AZ.
New Mexico and Louisiana are too pathetic to contribute (melee-wise), got interest out of Arkansas a month ago but nothing since.

MT_

Smash Ace
i.e., test too narrow a skillset or test skills which are not regarded as "worthwhile."
When our core ideals on what skills are "worthwhile" differ, it's impossible to come to an agreement. Arguments that are convincing to us for banning a stage will never be convincing to you Kal. I hope you realize you're kind of being a tyrant by forcing a liberal ruleset like that onto the rest of the community who clearly expresses the opposing viewpoint.

I've said this many times before but you don't seem to realize that our very standards for whether a stage should be banned or not are DRASTICALLY different. You seem to think that YOUR standards for banning a stage are the ONLY correct standards. Well the rest of the people attending this tournament disagree with you. It doesn't seem like that matters to you at all though.

Kal

Smash Champion
We don't disagree on what skills are worthwhile, you simply think something like "a single standardized style of gameplay that is most commonly found on strictly neutral stages" creates a worthwhile criterion for banning stages. I on the other hand am rather conservative, and go by a minimalist-banning mindset. I'm not a scrub who just bans things because I dislike them.

However, your point is valid insofar as I'm the only one who appears to want to actually play to win. Since I'm absolutely tired of arguing with people like you, who know so little about the game they think Fox's shine has magic, I'll just change the ruleset. I honestly don't care anymore. I'm trying to adhere to standards which keep the game from being destroyed by scrubs who think they can ban whatever they dislike, and I clearly can't do that with a tournament I'm not solely responsible for.

UT Smash Club

Smash Cadet
Stage list has been changed to the MBR Certified list. We have been discussing starting with pools to determine seeding. Does anyone have a problem with this?

Jake13

Smash Lord
awww man, i was really looking forward to mute city winning set for me :/

or camping the fin all day

or camping poke's

poop
hype

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com

Way to be spineless guys and capitulate to the nattering of the immature and closed-minded

baka4moé

Smash Champion
However, your point is valid insofar as I'm the only one who appears to want to actually play to win. Since I'm absolutely tired of arguing with people like you, who know so little about the game they think Fox's shine has magic.
looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

awww man, i was really looking forward to mute city winning set for me :/

or camping the fin all day

or camping poke's
Jake2good :cool:

also DoH i apologize for being immature, i didn't realize what i said in my previous posts could be taken that way.

Kal

Smash Champion
Jake, I wouldn't recommend camping Pokefloats, even if it were legal. Last time I saw you pick that stage you got 6-stocked.

Jake13

Smash Lord
That's because I didn't camp. And everyone knows team pokefloats is just shenanigans

edit: kal, don't hate just cuz you got hated on

:phone:

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I am recording everything important because I have the best quality and actually upload stuff

:phone:

baka4moé

Smash Champion
yall should both upload ^_^

i guess the important matches are still up in the air though...

i mean, as long yall upload it fast, it makes sense for ut smash club to upload the important stuff

Top Bottom