• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nova Scotia Thread

Spaceman_Spiff

Smash Cadet
So, I think having mute city and green greens allowed is probably smart, its pretty standard, I was just curious given the Pound 4 controversy.

However, I finally found my way over to facebook and got a look at the melee ruleset, and I have to say, having Princess Peach's Castle and Mushroom Kingdom II as counterpicks is rediculous, noone plays there. Dont get me wrong, PPC is a really fun stage to play around on, but in a tournament situation, fox can wallshine or laser camp (just try to catch him, seriously, try). And MKII has walk off edges. haha. I might personally make DK64 a counter instead of a neutral as well, but thats small potatoes.

It looks like the list was copied from the melee recommended ruleset, which I dont think is actually used much at all.

Regardless of the decision, I'm stoked for the tournament.

Also, since you offered After Dawn, I would be curious to see the ruleset you use.

And lastly, I hope I'm not coming off as someone who just john's and complains about stages, I'd just like to get this figured out early if possible, and it's neat to discuss.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
I honestly don't know anything about Melee. Plus, most people here are so rusty that wallshines are too hard for them (srsly) and they probably don't care enough to do those things.

If you can get in on the discussion, it'd be nice. It's all Brawl talk there, so some discussion for Melee would liven things up a bit.

I'm just gonna wing it.

teenwolftoo

Smash Cadet
this is the first time we have included melee in a very long time, it's going to be an adjustment period for the smash scene here in NS. We have never had any issues with the rule set for melee before.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
One day, I'm going to come down there and 4-stock you all. =D

Melee stage list that you guys should use:
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3584/meleestagelist.png

The only thing you guys should really bother debating is Green Greens. A lot of tournament organizers are kind of iffy with it, IMO you should keep it as most tournaments keep it and there's not a huge problem with it but it's understandable if you ban it cause there's a lot of gay camping on it and the ceiling on it is ridiculously low (lowest in the game, it's even lower than YS).

P.S. In case you guys don't know, FoD and Mute City are banned in Doubles because they lag.

camden

Smash Apprentice
I'm actually getting in on this Melee tourney. I've been praticing a lot in the past few days. I'm desperately trying to at least not be last. Although, when you main Ganon, high hopes are usually smudged out by FFSM mains. :\ Oh well, I can't wait to see who wins!!

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Katie, join the Melee tournament or I'll be mad at you!

<_<
>_>

NS is renowned for scary threats.

EDIT: if you guys want, i can bring my janky TV for melee doubles. It won't be an event, but it'd be great for pre/post tournament action.

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
Almost time for smashy-smashy. Zhao, are you bringing your melee A-game or your brawl A-game. I dont own brawl, so I'll be all geared up for melee

i need a Wii...i feel like im getting left behind :/

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
Good to hear. I was just playing melee...man im rusty xD I've been playing DBZ lately. I'm getting back into it tho. I'l just play nothing but melee from now on. Hopefully I can borrow brawl from my friend, otherwise...I may even just drop out of the brawl tournament. Id just be wasting my money.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Brawl's not hard to get into at all. If you can borrow it, consider yourself set. Just get a feel for your character is all you really need.

I pounded through a straight month or so of Melee, trying to learn the basics. Now I only play when my doubles partner is over, or at a bi-weekly.

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
spaceman spiff - have we met irl before, wuts your name and what was the last tourney u went to?
i`m malcolm, btw.

Spaceman_Spiff

Smash Cadet
Not sure if we've met before, my name is John, but I have not been to any tournies since '07. Anyways, I look forward to meeting you for the first or second time.

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
have you been to the old melee tourney's zhao? i dont remember you. but i didnt really go to many i guess

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
yeah, it was fun. mostly cause it was the start of the whole scene

ok, im just gonna throw this out there just incase someone would be cool enuf heh. the tourney is pretty early, or registration anyways. 11am. and i'l have to drive 3 hours to get there. im just wondering if a) someone would let me crash and we could practice the night before or b) i go up really early and we practcse before going to the tourney. i may be able to borrow brawl, and i might even get some wifi matches in. but id still like a solid hour or two of same console brawling. i would be eternally grateful and even tho you dont know me im a quiet, trustworthy guy. and i could be your drive to/from the tourney. so is anybody that cool?? :/

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Got a house full of siblings mah d00d, sorry. Try posting this on the FB group, I'm sure someone there could help you. Of the 40 some-odd people who've registered, there's bound to be ONE who can house :/

teenwolftoo

Smash Cadet
I would like to host you but i am moving that week and my house will be a massive party on the 28th & 29th.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
O_O

I don't play Brawl but I'd still play it anyway. =)
Good, prepare to get ***** :)

...in Brawl...

Melee after of course.

Kev, let's play tonight! I'll tape the Office and the such, can't miss that ****. Let me know if you want me to use anyone so you can get a basic feel for match-ups.

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
sweet, lets do it up Zhao. id say it'l be anywhere between 8 and 10. il be hanging out with my buddy who's lending it to me for a bit then i'l be back tonight. just be on msn around that time. are you able to be near you pc and on msn while we brawl? first just use your Luigi :p then just use random chars your good with. popular matchups would be good, but it'l be my first day so i wont be too serious

anyone else wanna fight Lucario?

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
I'll bring the laptop down with me while we play sure.

You still have Facebook? Your chances of landing a match with someone else are much higher if you post there.

Top Bottom