• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nu Nu NU *Smash* MA Player finder: Yo whaddup?

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
@ Shadow - I hear that. If I were to play Fox I'd probably go almost as text book as possible (I'd be playing fox for the soul purpose of winning so why gimp that concept with using a play style(s) that aren't the metagame?). Not Falco though, I love Forward's C.O.C.K. because of how unconventional some of those combos are. So fly so fly.
Which is precisly the reason I don't play Fox! His metagame is so high and SO good that there's no room to devolp your own fighting style. Sure, Fox kicks butt, but it's really a single dimension, and its boring. Not to mention that shine spiking is cheap as all get out.

Shadowball I just noticed you have a link to a ZP review in your sig. You gain 144 Cool Points.
Thanks. (Cool points...:laugh:) I was just introduced to ZP over the week-end, but the guy is so funny that I thought I'd put it in my Sig. I don't like excessive swearing, but its too funny for me to care!

Spife

Smash Master
Some people don't like him but I like the way he delivers.
I like fox cause there's so much he can do. I started playing him (and falco) because they have so much to learn. There's a little bit more I could be practicing on Link but it's too situational.

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
<elitism>There are plenty of ways to play Fox, although most of them involve winning. Any character can play any "style" or whatever, although different strategies are best adapted to different characters. Fox can basically be played any way you want, which is one of the many things that puts him on top of the tier list. Without versatility, you have nothing. You can easily camp, pressure, turtle, gimp, and whatever else you want with Fox, whereas a character like Link, pressuring aggressively is much harder, and switching "styles" is hampered by his poor movement speed, so if you need to get away, you're more likely to get hit and whatnot.

In summation, Fox is good and dynamic, Link sucks and is far more one-dimensional. </elitism>

Seriously though, none of this means anything if you win, so do that and don't worry. If you don't win, figure out why you didn't win, fix it, and win.

Spife

Smash Master
<elitism>There are plenty of ways to play Fox, although most of them involve winning. Any character can play any "style" or whatever, although different strategies are best adapted to different characters. Fox can basically be played any way you want, which is one of the many things that puts him on top of the tier list. Without versatility, you have nothing. You can easily camp, pressure, turtle, gimp, and whatever else you want with Fox, whereas a character like Link, pressuring aggressively is much harder, and switching "styles" is hampered by his poor movement speed, so if you need to get away, you're more likely to get hit and whatnot.

In summation, Fox is good and dynamic, Link sucks and is far more one-dimensional. </elitism>

Seriously though, none of this means anything if you win, so do that and don't worry. If you don't win, figure out why you didn't win, fix it, and win.
Playing to win is very important. I agree with most of what you said. In fact, playing agressive as Link isn't a great idea (i'm learning that the more I go)

Poll: WHo's going to MM13? Spife is!

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
So Spife can post again. Ace is going! And he might even play some Melee!!!!

Just remember, I wa never a "real" melee player so I suck, bad.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
Name - JJ or CastorPollux
Hometown - Waltham
Main Character(s) - Wolf
Game Preference (Melee or Brawl) - Brawl
AIM - cast0rp0llux
MSN -
Car - no
T - I take the Bentley Campus Shuttle to the Harvard Square Redline

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion

How can I argue? Your post is very well thought out. BUT I still consider Fox to be one dimensional. i'm sure even you will admit that Fox is all about offense, pressuring and gimping. His defensive game is weak, though he doesn't really need defense in most matches. I'm being redundant, aren't I?

<---mm13 with mewtwo
LOL, you just couldn't let me be the only Mewtwo player in Mass, could ya? :p

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
I did the whole return from the future thing, stopped off at home and was going back to the past. I decided it'd be interesting to follow that book that lets you go straight to the end, even though there was no way I could possibly win. I think I got a decent way into the fight with him though.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
lol @ describing where you are in CT by saying "the part where I time traveled" haha
yeah I guess you can technically take the book early and fight him your first time through but usually people experiment with that in new game+

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Ok so I guess I should just say that Shadowball is wrong, sorry dude but on so many levels you are.

Fox is the best character in the game and sayin he has no defensive game when he can just run around and laser camp is silly. Idk what other character could have a better defense except possibly sheik with platform needle camping or Falco for an obvious reason.

All the top tiers are exactly that for their ability to play all the general styles better then every other character, be it through their range, their pressure game with lasers their all around moveset or their dash dance camp.

Spife

Smash Master
But KevinM, I see a hole in your argument. Link basically only has a range game (OOT had 3 iirc), Link doesn't have lasers but he can pressure with jabs (which are like lazers) and aerial jabs (which are Nairs which are like lasers pew pew), I'll be the first to admit Link's moveset isn't choice (I would have given him a shine cause apparently they're just belt buckles or something and Link has more of a belt then Fox I tell you what) but it's still good (aerial jabs and what not), also, Link can camp with dash dance. So why isn't Link top tier hmmmm? He's got everything that you have said makes a top tier a top tier.

Oh right, Link sucks.

Spife

Smash Master
I'm like, so good man I beat all dese kids yo, all dese kids
Banks, I'm going to make MA have a power finder, or a power finder for Link mains. So then if you ever try to cut me in line with that "I'm banks, ranked 6th in ME" I'll be like "So? I'm Spife, ranked last in MA (which is like, 9th :laugh:) and second for Link Mains (second to who ever decides to main link)"
Get ***** Banks!

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Ok so I guess I should just say that Shadowball is wrong, sorry dude but on so many levels you are.

Fox is the best character in the game and sayin he has no defensive game when he can just run around and laser camp is silly. Idk what other character could have a better defense except possibly sheik with platform needle camping or Falco for an obvious reason.

All the top tiers are exactly that for their ability to play all the general styles better then every other character, be it through their range, their pressure game with lasers their all around moveset or their dash dance camp.
Come on now. Marth is tied with Fox for the best in the game. I don't consider "Running around" to be a defensive strategy. Besides, unless the player you're facing is way better than you, why can't you just pressure them into oblivion, like Marth can, and does?

@Spife. It's okay that Link sucks. I play M2, and I know the frustrations that come sometimes, which make wins all the sweeter. :)

Banks

Smash Hero
um actually spife, i'm ranked 9th in NEW ENGLAND aka A REGION which supercedes STATE power rankings, but also I'm 4th in maine (darc, th0rn, dazwa, banks) so 6th is JUST AN INSULT (no offense to SOLAR lmfao jk)

so you'd need to make your own region somehow, perhaps combining with vermont?

i might get all this tattooed on my lower back someday right below "kevinM was here"

Spife

Smash Master
XFD Banks...XFD
That was great, but what ever about your rankings. I could beat you, I've watched matches of you on youtube and you look like trash i main link and alwasy beat lvl 9s and my friends and all you do is play people who play fox mcozone and he sucks i beat him a lot

@ Cogsmooch: <3 but brawl took a lot of them away D:

@ SB: I use to get really frustrated (losing all the time) but I accepted a long time ago that I play a character who's not good. Out of all my characters though my Link is most organic, the rest are confused, as if I were blind folded, or they were blind folded...all this talking about blind folding is making me think of Banks D:
Either way I think wins are sweet period no matter who I'm playing. It's not self righteous though, I'm wondering what it would be like to have mained Marth or Fox this entire time o.o

Roman.

Smash Champion
i want in

good foxes are all defense, which is like 0.1% of the foxes out there

anyways, would i be ranked like 4th in MA? (KDJ, Elen, Nuro, Trees?)

edit: oh yeah, 3x, we gotta MM for 4th -.-'

Top Bottom