• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oakville Uproar 2011

R e d X

Smash Journeyman
No one's confirmed for melee yet =(
I know there's not a whole lot of interest in this so far, just a bunch of maybes :c
You in for just singles or dubs too?

Btw guys I'm pretty new in the community so when you say "I'm coming" let me know what for as I don't know whether you want in on Brawl or Melee.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I just need to know for sure how I'd be getting there.

Like... for bus would I be paying some ******** amount of fares? What bus systems transfer into Oakville?

Also regardless of how I'm getting there I'd need a drive home. TTC stops running at 1 AM, and assuming that the bracket ends super-early at 10, I'm not sure if I could make it in time.

I'd love to come to this, but it's just the logistics of coming to Oakville.

If I can get this sorted out, I'll be entering Melee and possibly Brawl. Depends on how much bussing ***** my wallet.

Cruxis

Smash Lord
who is driving?? can someone give me a ride to this??

also joe if we both make it lets team

Snow Shard

Smash Journeyman
What's Up

So as one of the guys whose hosting this thing, my lack of posts is disgraceful. This cite seems to mess up on my comp for some reason, and i don't think my name is as well known yet; but anyways. Red X is working exceedingly hard to get this thing going, and everyone's support is greatly appreciated.

As for directions and methods of getting there, we will likely be posting multiple ways including GO train, buses, greyhounds, you name it, seriously lol u can always post which method you will be taking and we can help you find out prices and whatnot for it. Thanks for your support, and we really hope to see you there :)

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I'm mostly wanting to know the cheapest way to get there. Time isn't really an issue.

R e d X

Smash Journeyman
Cheapest way is probably going to be the GO train. From Union to Oakville a 2-way trip is $13 tax included. The venue is within walking distance of the station.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Oh wow that's actually pretty good.

Consider me confirmed, will be bringing Wii+Brawl as always.

Also possible GC+Melee, though I lost my memory card.

Can't bring a TV because my TV is ****ing heavy.

Windrose

Smash Lord
you're not going to the ottawa tournament?

I'm interested in coming for melee!

Cruxis

Smash Lord
singles earlier red x, it doesnt look like there will be a lot of setups. it should start at at least 1:30-2.

and forget pools entirely go straighttt bracket.

anyway, im comin for sure. though i dont really get this whole go train thing i mean couldnt i just lie about where im going and get a cheaper ticket?

Mr_L

Smash Journeyman
Whitby may or may not be coming to this. I'll have to talk MPrime about it

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
though i dont really get this whole go train thing i mean couldnt i just lie about where im going and get a cheaper ticket?
theoretically you could, but they know that ppl attempt to do that all the time. if you get caught doing it (periodically inspectors in the train will ask you for your ticket) you have to pay like $200 or something

go transit uses zoned fares, not a flat fee :(

Windrose

Smash Lord
If I come to this, I'll bring a setup. Doesn't look like there's a lot of melee interests though =(

Acidile?/ Where you at? Don't you live in oakville man??

Gichan

Smash Champion
I got all pumped for this but it isn't confirmed yet? For real? I don't wanna bug you guys, just don't wanna take that day off of work for nothing. If tournament is happening though, I'm coming with Pharaoh.

Whitby, please go.

R e d X

Smash Journeyman
I got all pumped for this but it isn't confirmed yet? For real? I don't wanna bug you guys, just don't wanna take that day off of work for nothing. If tournament is happening though, I'm coming with Pharaoh.
It''s defs happening. If there is an indefinite post somewhere I'll change it cause I have a hold on the venue and I have confirmed with Snow Shard that we're defs doing this. Glad to hear you guys are reachin, you guys both in for just Brawl?

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
what are you guys expecting the brawl attendance to be? is there gonna be a big group of locals your gathering thatll reach this?

Cruxis

Smash Lord
It''s defs happening. If there is an indefinite post somewhere I'll change it cause I have a hold on the venue and I have confirmed with Snow Shard that we're defs doing this. Glad to hear you guys are reachin, you guys both in for just Brawl?
i am pharaoh lol we arent separate people

iliad told me hamilton is most likely coming, hamilton being iliad, meek, raidos, maybe sauc3, maybe culex, maybe phiddlesticks

Windrose

Smash Lord
I'm coming to this I guess....since the ottawa tournament is way too far. I'll come for melee singles n doubles. I can bring a full setup.

R e d X

Smash Journeyman
is wobbling turned on or off for melee o.O
(On would do nicely)
Looks like I forgot to mention this in the rules, thanks for the heads. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), wobbling is to be banned in this tourney. Sorry bro

R e d X

Smash Journeyman
what are you guys expecting the brawl attendance to be? is there gonna be a big group of locals your gathering thatll reach this?
Depends on Hamilton and Whitby tbh. If they come attendence will probably be around 25ish. I talked to about 20 people from Oakville for this, but from the looks of things not a huge crowd will show from those invitations. Probably between 5 and 10 locals will show, so attendance will probably be between 15 and 25 depending on Hamilton, Whitby and the local turnout.

Snow Shard

Smash Journeyman
Red X already answered the attendance thing so id like to bring this up. In regards to locals, I personally was eager to invite many people in hopes of further expanding the community in a place like Oakville that isn't known to have lots of exceptional players (no offence intended to the few good players from Oakville). However, I can't just invite abunch of random people who are unfamiliar with concepts such as DI and/or chaingrabbing and etc, or else they would be destroyed, and act as "freebies" for tournament experienced players. They would make this tournament look like a joke. I found it hard to invite a perfect balance of these people, and i was curious incase we host future tournaments next year or whatnot if good players on smashboards would mind if new players, eager to learn, showed up at tournaments like this.

Hype

Smash Lord
Probably not coming, I'm volunteering for my school orientation this year and I think I'm supposed to be doing something on the 3rd.

Cruxis

Smash Lord
Red X already answered the attendance thing so id like to bring this up. In regards to locals, I personally was eager to invite many people in hopes of further expanding the community in a place like Oakville that isn't known to have lots of exceptional players (no offence intended to the few good players from Oakville). However, I can't just invite abunch of random people who are unfamiliar with concepts such as DI and/or chaingrabbing and etc, or else they would be destroyed, and act as "freebies" for tournament experienced players. They would make this tournament look like a joke. I found it hard to invite a perfect balance of these people, and i was curious incase we host future tournaments next year or whatnot if good players on smashboards would mind if new players, eager to learn, showed up at tournaments like this.
i say invite all the locals you can, they may be "freebies' to the top 5 placers but for the lower places itd be great to see some new faces in the community. sure they might get "destroyed" but really everybody does at their first tourney, we have to invite a lot of new guys in order to "weed out" the dedicated ones that wanna improve and be part of the scene.

i love my scene but im gettin tired of seein the saaaame faces each time lets get some new people in

Mprime

Smash Ace
i'd go but i work. you guys probably won't be seeing me very often for the next 2 years because i am going to school full time and working part time. sigh...

Snow Shard

Smash Journeyman
i say invite all the locals you can, they may be "freebies' to the top 5 placers but for the lower places itd be great to see some new faces in the community. sure they might get "destroyed" but really everybody does at their first tourney, we have to invite a lot of new guys in order to "weed out" the dedicated ones that wanna improve and be part of the scene.

i love my scene but im gettin tired of seein the saaaame faces each time lets get some new people in
Yea I guess your right, only by inviting people can we weed out the dedicated ones, that makes sense. And yea, lol first tournaments are prolly similar for everyone. Thanks for the advice.

Top Bottom