• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Offical Pit Match Up Thread: Looking for Assistance!

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Well even if in your own (or someone else who mains pit) personal opinion what are Pit's counters?

There are a few decent Pits in my area and I want to be as familiar with Pit as I can.

Coffee™

I need it....
By the way, I will not be starting any more matchup threads. If you wish to start one yourself, I will still upload it to the matchup thread, however please state so in this thread first and please ony do one matchup at a time.

TheOgbot

Smash Journeyman
Yeah a R.O.B. matchup would be great!

I have a friend that mains R.O.B. , so I could actually contribute a fair amount to the discussion!

Coffee™

I need it....
Whoever wants to do the R.O.B matchup just do it. But remember you'll also have to write the summary as well as manage the thread that you make so don't half *** it.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
MK is gay, nuff said, it's been said that we're disadvantaged at 40-60 where us Pits are 40, but some may have been biased with 30-70, underestimating us.
However, I feel that with this new thing Rogue told me about, when mastered, we should have a slightly better chance. I really shouldnt reveal this yet however, for personal reaons.

For ROB, some say that ROB has the advantage, some say Pit has the advantage, and some say it's even. I really havent fought a ROB in a while, and forgot a few things about the matchup. The simple thing to know is that ROB gimps us somewhat easily, but we can do that as well, and outcamp ROB with our arrows and reflectors.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I find that Rob would have the advantage for this one... by like a 55:45 match because his ground game outranges our ground game and some air game with his tilts, he can do unpredictable projectile shots while could hurt us when approaching or recovering, and his aerials can be hard for Pit to interrupt if spaced correctly...

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Alright, I am picking up Pit for Snake/Donkey Kong. Rogue Pit is in my crew so imma get a lot of help from him, but im going to start posting on the pit boards and stuffz
*happy face*

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Well it takes about 5-7 seconds for R.O.B's laser to be fireable again. So keep that in mind. I've only fought one R.O.B with Fox but I'm sure if you keep the shield handy it should avert Gyro > Laser combos.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Actually it takes about 2-3 seconds for Rob to shoot the laser again. I remember spamming it against a camping Fox who kept on shooting me with a blaster.

As for you xzax, I might be another Pit Teacher but Rogue would probably be better considering how he's close to you, though challenging me from his house can be interesting too.

Ravin

Smash Lord
Id recommend changing your CP for Samus forom Dplaza to JJ. Dplaza is a great stage for Samus. just overlooking some Samus matchups.

madival

Smash Cadet
lol wut? pit advantaged against snake?
Its a small advantage, but I have to agree with it. What experience i have had against snake, if you know what to watch for, I believe the avantage will go to pit but not by alot. My friend Mains snake and does really well with him. In 1v1 his snake rarely beats my pit because if i really have to, I dont ever have to leave my spot. If you go for stage control, then you have the advantage. I may be wrong, but this is how i feel :chuckle:

MrEh

Smash Hero
Its a small advantage, but I have to agree with it. What experience i have had against snake, if you know what to watch for, I believe the avantage will go to pit but not by alot. My friend Mains snake and does really well with him. In 1v1 his snake rarely beats my pit because if i really have to, I dont ever have to leave my spot. If you go for stage control, then you have the advantage. I may be wrong, but this is how i feel :chuckle:
The Snake you're playing must suck. ^^

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
IC v Pit is a stupid matchup..IC can be easily gimped by either Arrow or Mirror Shield. if they do up B recovery -> arrow or side b -> arrow/Mirror shield. Game of space/camp

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I currently have more trouble with gay Snake than MK. Stupid Nades damage my aggressive play, forces me to be defensive and more campy than usual, and the Spammable Broken Tilts make it worse.
With MK, im more familiar with em, and without a projectile, this comes to my favor a bit more.
MK is more common as well.... but both are still broken and annoying.

Pit needs to overcome the range disadvantage.
G&W is horrible... but thankfully I dont see many of em.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
I currently have more trouble with gay Snake than MK. Stupid Nades damage my aggressive play, forces me to be defensive and more campy than usual, and the Spammable Broken Tilts make it worse.
With MK, im more familiar with em, and without a projectile, this comes to my favor a bit more.
MK is more common as well.... but both are still broken and annoying.

Pit needs to overcome the range disadvantage.
G&W is horrible... but thankfully I dont see many of em.
snake isnt broken, pit actually does pretty well against him, mess up his nades with a few arrows wingdash to mess with the distance on his tilts, after hes off the edge and forced into cypher, hes almost guaranteed to be down a stock

Doctor X

Smash Lord
MK is harder than GW by a considerable amount.
I disagree a considerable amount. :laugh:

People need to get over MK. Yes, he's good. That doesn't mean he counters your character 70:30 no matter what. I still can't think of a single thing MK has over Pit besides just being a better character in general-- nothing like tornado spam against ROB or Dedede's infinite against DK.

GW has the bucket, which is arguably more helpful against Pit than any other character. Even without spam, which is a huge part of Pit's game, arrow follow-ups are fairly important for controlling your opponent and racking up that extra bit of damage, as well as punishing momentum cancels. You cannot do this against GW. He can simultaneously momentum cancel and absorb your arrow.

Pit also can do literally nothing against G&W's edgeguard game. Normally Pit must rely on the precision required to successfully hit him out of his glide and up-B. Even MK has to anticipate where you're going if he's going to have any hope of catching you. G&W needs no such precision. His aerial and up-B hitboxes are so huge and last so long that if he throws them anywhere in your general vicinity you're getting hit.

Coffee™

I need it....
I disagree a considerable amount. :laugh:

People need to get over MK. Yes, he's good. That doesn't mean he counters your character 70:30 no matter what. I still can't think of a single thing MK has over Pit besides just being a better character in general-- nothing like tornado spam against ROB or Dedede's infinite against DK.

GW has the bucket, which is arguably more helpful against Pit than any other character. Even without spam, which is a huge part of Pit's game, arrow follow-ups are fairly important for controlling your opponent and racking up that extra bit of damage, as well as punishing momentum cancels. You cannot do this against GW. He can simultaneously momentum cancel and absorb your arrow.
Im not MK is his worst matchup based on "MK is good blah blah he counters my character blah blah" I'm saying this based of of experience in both matchups. Its considerably harder to get in and damage a good MK than it is to get inside of GW. The threat that G&W can bucket your arrows is there but honestly in a match vs MK you are probaby hitting him with arrows the same amount of times that you're hitting G&W in the matchup.

Pit also can do literally nothing against G&W's edgeguard game. Normally Pit must rely on the precision required to successfully hit him out of his glide and up-B. Even MK has to anticipate where you're going if he's going to have any hope of catching you. G&W needs no such precision. His aerial and up-B hitboxes are so huge and last so long that if he throws them anywhere in your general vicinity you're getting hit.
Uh.. Its not as hard for MK to hit you out of a glide as you're making it seem.

Dilly04

Smash Cadet
I think Snake isn't as bad of a match up for Pit. Pit's arrows tend to do pretty well against stopping grenades in the air or just knocking the grenades out of Snake's hands.

A good MK can gimp Pit really easily...
But I think MK and G&W are both pretty equally tough against Pit.
That's just my opinion though XD

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Ok... typical situation here. MK knocks Pit off, Pit has all of his jumps. Say he just got dsmashed. Pit DI's properly, and MK runs to the edge.

Pit has two options:

-He can fly high back over the stage and fall back down snake style. MK will probably wait for the airdodge, so Pit can wait for MK's attack and as long as you're fast enough you'll be safe-- tornado aside, though you can SDI out of that and at the very least get yourself to the ground, if not punish MK for doing it. In G&W's case, though, you can't really airdodge his fair because it lasts longer than your airdodge, and unlike the tornado you can't SDI and it will probably send you back off the stage. You have to use your airjumps to avoid getting hit, and if he wants to he can just wait for you to run out of those before he throws his fair out.

-He can initiate a glide and attempt to go under the stage. If you dive very low (I mean, very, very low, to the point where you're not on the screen anymore) MK cannot reach you, unless he's down there already waiting for you. Even the ridiculous shuttle loop doesn't have the vertical distance to deal with this. He'll probably kill himself if he does hit you with it. If he runs to the opposite side to try to head you off, you can pull up and grab the near edge anyway, and even if you mess this up and he's in a position where he can edgeguard your glide (should be rare), you can cancel out of the glide and use your airjumps/up-B to throw him off. It's certainly not your best option, but it is possible.

G&W, though? If he drops down with a fair or bair, then up-B's... it's probably going to hit you. There isn't really anything you can do about it. Even if you attempt to abort the glide he can cancel his up-B on the edge then do it again to kill you. If you do manage to go under it-- really more his mistake than anything you could have done-- the trampoline from the up-B can throw you up above the stage with him, in which case you're vulnerable to the same BS as if you recovered high above the stage.

Just saying... I very rarely ever get gimped by MK myself. It's just something you have to adapt to. G&W however... to this day I still can't find a way around that crap. -.-

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Ok... typical situation here. MK knocks Pit off, Pit has all of his jumps. Say he just got dsmashed. Pit DI's properly, and MK runs to the edge.

Pit has two options:

-He can fly high back over the stage and fall back down snake style. MK will probably wait for the airdodge, so Pit can wait for MK's attack and as long as you're fast enough you'll be safe-- tornado aside, though you can SDI out of that and at the very least get yourself to the ground, if not punish MK for doing it. In G&W's case, though, you can't really airdodge his fair because it lasts longer than your airdodge, and unlike the tornado you can't SDI and it will probably send you back off the stage. You have to use your airjumps to avoid getting hit, and if he wants to he can just wait for you to run out of those before he throws his fair out.

-He can initiate a glide and attempt to go under the stage. If you dive very low (I mean, very, very low, to the point where you're not on the screen anymore) MK cannot reach you, unless he's down there already waiting for you. Even the ridiculous shuttle loop doesn't have the vertical distance to deal with this. He'll probably kill himself if he does hit you with it. If he runs to the opposite side to try to head you off, you can pull up and grab the near edge anyway, and even if you mess this up and he's in a position where he can edgeguard your glide (should be rare), you can cancel out of the glide and use your airjumps/up-B to throw him off. It's certainly not your best option, but it is possible.

G&W, though? If he drops down with a fair or bair, then up-B's... it's probably going to hit you. There isn't really anything you can do about it. Even if you attempt to abort the glide he can cancel his up-B on the edge then do it again to kill you. If you do manage to go under it-- really more his mistake than anything you could have done-- the trampoline from the up-B can throw you up above the stage with him, in which case you're vulnerable to the same BS as if you recovered high above the stage.

Just saying... I very rarely ever get gimped by MK myself. It's just something you have to adapt to. G&W however... to this day I still can't find a way around that crap. -.-

Of course, you're apart of GUNPUNCH in which 1/2 of the team is Meta. So I'm sure you're incredibly used to the Meta match-up.

Coffee™

I need it....

Pit has two options:

Recovering above MK isn't that great of an option. As you said MK can wait for the air dodge and throw out an attack, most likely Uair which can probably star KO you at that height. However, sometimes the air dodge doesnt even matter as MK can throw out Uairs faster than you can air dodge so you'll probably get hit anyway. There there is the option of Tornado which he can also star KO you with and you're not going to air dodge through that unless you're extremely lucky.

In addition he can hit you with Nair or Dair which will just send you back off the stage where you won't be able to recover due to you no longer having an Up B.

As far as GW is concerned, you can airdodge through his Fair and even if you get hit by the lingering hitbox it wont knock you far enough for it really to be a big threat. I'd be more concerned about his Nair which has a bigger hitbox but regardless if you see G&W jumping out after you you can just shoot an arrow at him. 80 % of the time he wont bother to bucket as he you can hit him if he does. But either way from G&W thats only one move in comparion to like MK's fifty lol.

Gliding under like that is kind of situational. If MK is following you offstage chances are he'll be be able to hit you out the glide before you get too far with Dair or Nair then you have to worry about getting back with only Up B. G&W cannot put you in that situation without a decent amount of risk on his part.

I find this kind of hard to believe. G&Ws I play hardly ever gimp me and if they do most of the time they either SD to do it or had to put themselves in a relatively risky situation which they dont have to do considering they can KO you at like 80% lol

Dilly04

Smash Cadet

Pit has two options:

-
I disagree. Pit has tons of more options than just those two in my opinion.

He can go and glide toward the ledge, and if MK is there waiting at the ledge. Than glide attack him through the ledge. Pit's attack will go through and hit MK far enough back for Pit to be able to recover.

Another option would be to just shoot arrows while slowly making your way back to the ledge. Lolz XD

I don't ever really see G&W's trying to gimp Pit...maybe with their Sausages/Bacon whatever meat G&W is cooking up could gimp Pit... o_o.

Top Bottom