• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Game Disc Ripping Thread: File Structure up! Stages! ATs! Roster!

AmericanDragon

Smash Rookie
Dude, A soundtrack rip would be the greatest thing ever! But... I wonder if I even have space left on my computer for it. D:

Brawl will most likely have over a hundred songs at least. How big, file size wise, is one Wii song?

Based on Galaxy music I suppose, at least.
Each song should be the size of a normal MP3.

Garuda

Smash Ace
Is there any chance in converting models to .3ds format? I would really like to know, as I use 3DS Max.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
It's already possible to backup wii games onto your comp. So I'm guessing this will allow to actually rip specific data from the isos?

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Just because of you, Nintendo's going to go back to fix Brawl's order so you can't decrypt it.
I would hate that if that happened, but otherwise props to you.

I hate it when people say such things.
Nintendo can make it really difficult to decrypt the disc but that doesn't mean it is impossible.
That and they are a bit lazy when it comes to the prevention of bad hacks.

AmericanDragon

Smash Rookie
Well, if that's the case it shouldn't be so bad. But I've got a few .flac files that are pretty large.

Out of curiosity, what file extension is the Wii music? Is it .mp3?
Not sure, but I would imagine that whoever rips the songs will convert them into a compact format such as mp3.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Well, if that's the case it shouldn't be so bad. But I've got a few .flac files that are pretty large.

Out of curiosity, what file extension is the Wii music? Is it .mp3?
That is because flac is lossless compression. But I am sure whoever rips the soundtrack will convert the files to MP3 or OGG or some small format, even if only for the sake of uploading (to save time, since it usually takes even longer than downloading depending on your connection).

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Good news! Mario Galaxy ripped! Music is in AST format and playable with in_cube http://www.hcs64.com/in_cube.html
I could convert to MP3.

Videos are in THP Format!!! Playable with ffdShow codec! This means cutscenes will be directly ripped before unlocking!!!

By the way, I was looking at the melee disc and each character has his own name. sweet.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Haha, are you sure you wrote an image reader, or did you just write a GUI for an existing one? ;)

I was hoping this would never happen actually. The only things it will be good for is removing garbage filler from an ISO or online cheating. It may be used to find an exploit to run Wii homebrew, but that has already happened without the need for a game exploit.

Now we will have to regulate players who are cheating online. Sucks.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
The possible audio streaming formats for Gamecube (and maybe by extension Wii) games: http://www.hcs64.com/in_cube.html
Thanks for the link!

Good news! Mario Galaxy ripped! Music is in AST format and playable with in_cube http://www.hcs64.com/in_cube.html
I could convert to MP3.

Videos are in THP Format!!! Playable with ffdShow codec! This means cutscenes will be directly ripped before unlocking!!!

By the way, I was looking at the melee disc and each character has his own name. sweet.
Ooh, my creative senses are tingling.

I think... I want to make a SSE AMV XD. I haven't even played the game yet, and I know I want to do that now. =p Only other game I've ever felt strongly enough about to do one of those for was a whole Series. Suikoden was pretty great.

Woohoo, Project plans for Late March/April. *laugh*

Gold_Darkness

Smash Apprentice
I could convert to MP3.

It still depends on if Brawl uses the known streaming formats we see other games use.

But along the music isn't sequenced, Brawl's music will be made playable on PCs.

And speaking of Mario Galaxy, listening to the Final Battle music without sound effects = bliss

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
I just read up on it, apparently it only decrypts the disc which allows for the reading of files. This is good actually. The Wii discs have a signature based on the contents of a disc. If you change any kind of file on the disc it breaks the signature that the game has stored. It appears they haven't found a way to overwrite the signature yet.

Yay

Garuda

Smash Ace
Where can I find this decryptor? .......I'm sorry, I am REALLY n00bish to this kind of stuff.

Japanese Monk

Smash Journeyman
As much as this excites me because the prospect of ALL of SSBB secrets being revealed Im also a little worried.

This is like opening the pandora's box. Although technically its already been opened and if shortfuse doesnt do it now for us, someone else can and will.

I just hope there are ways to prevent cheating online. Because THAT WOULD SUCK.

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if this has been asked

But is there any way this can be used to de-region-lock the game?

I'm absolute noobcake with this sort of thing but I'm in a PAL region and I'd kill to get it the same time you guys do.

So. . . can it?

brandutt845

Smash Apprentice
How do you listen to the Music, Short Fuse? I clicked the link, but how do you listen to it?

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Okay, I didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if this has been asked

But is there any way this can be used to de-region-lock the game?

I'm absolute noobcake with this sort of thing but I'm in a PAL region and I'd kill to get it the same time you guys do.

So. . . can it?
Yes, but you'd have to have a modded Wii to play the modified ISO, and since most modchips already defeat region locking it would be redundant.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
I wrote my OWN GCM Reader and NDS reader. I never released them. I wrote DS-X Manager (if you've heard of it) and I was the one who wrote the opensource NDS ROM Trimmer.

This tool (WiiED by Crediar) only decrypts but people have repackaged games. Decrypt, Modify, Encrypt, Play on Wii. This allows homebrew and hacks.

Maplestory

Smash Cadet
Hmm. I wonder if we had our Wii modded, maybe we could edit the game, burn it, and then use it? That would be nice, if someone actually could make a character (Which is near impossible solo at an amateur level, I guess), that would be pretty sweet if we could implement our own things into brawl.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Hmm. I wonder if we had our Wii modded, maybe we could edit the game, burn it, and then use it? That would be nice, if someone actually could make a character (Which is near impossible solo at an amateur level, I guess), that would be pretty sweet if we could implement our own things into brawl.
yes, but probably way too difficult. you could already technically do that with melee...

Zink

Smash Champion
WAIT hold eveything. forget the music. See if there's a dev mode. Hopefully an accessable one. We need hitboxes, man. How cool would it be if we could rip the hitboxes and animations right off the disc?

Brenco55

Smash Cadet
I hope i come acroos hackers online just to see how cool the hacks they come up with are! i dont even care that i'd lose :)

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
WAIT hold eveything. forget the music. See if there's a dev mode. Hopefully an accessable one. We need hitboxes, man. How cool would it be if we could rip the hitboxes and animations right off the disc?
Listen to this man!

He is wise

And LeeHarris, cheers:)

DreamFiend633

Smash Apprentice
So when can we expect the rip info?

BTW, do you have the game disc or something? Because if you do, why don't you put in your Wii?!? If you have a modded Wii that is.

CreamPuffDoom

Smash Apprentice
Soundtrack and Cutscene would be really amazing. I hope that you could possibly do this, as I am sure the community would benefit from it

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink
Wow, this should be very interesting. Hopefully we'll find a Debug Menu still in there. :D
...Though hopefully Brawl's several delays mean not many leftovers. It would suck to find unfinished parts of the game and wonder what could have been (FE level in SSBM...). But I'd love to see parts they scrapped or used for testing (yay for test level in SSBM). >_>

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
So since we're on the topic of decrypting things, is there any possible way of altering the Save data from an SD card? Specifically, the Friend Codes. It would be a huge time saver if someone wrote an App where I could manage FCs directly on the computer.

Eternalfire

Smash Journeyman
Could you also rip Galaxy's music to an mp3 format? I've been looking for an OST, but I am out of luck.

Masloff

Smash Rookie
could you even get the PC vocies and sound efxs up for download? (mugen development purposes)

Top Bottom