• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
does it really matter what anybody says, NO. there will always be debate over the tiers, even if the tier list is made up by Nintendo itself,
lol o god u just reminded me of the nintendo power guide where they rated the usefulness of characters and how good they were, friggin mario and kirby were top.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I don't see why everyone wants IC's for low tier, even though I'll actually be happy if they get low tier because I like to prove "high tiers" wrong, They still hit strong even without WDing, and multiple grab combos, when both hit at the same time they do tons of damage, and they are really nimble. I'd say if Mario is in the middle again, IC's should atleast be above him
And for Yoshi, I've heard everyone talking about how horrible he is, but from the videos i've seen, he is too good. Shield> Dtilt> Usmash> ect. = Best combo I've ever seen! I think he is atleasr low-middle:)

Enshoku

Smash Lord
in a box of fading memories, and everlasting knowl
top: marth,diddy,wolf,lucas,pit

high:fox,falco,samus,dedede,toon link,olimar,g&w,luigi,shiek,r.o.b,ike,lucario

mid:metaknight,PT,sonic,peach,zelda,mario,zamus, snake, wario,pikachu

low:link,falcon,ness,bowser,DK,ice climbers,kirby

bottom:ganondorf,jigglypuff,yoshi

i win
this sounds kinda accurate, except that jigglypuff going from high to bottom w/o any real changes seems unprecedented.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
i dunno thats what people are saying toon link is good, i havent even played the game everything comes from what my friend tells me,what i read on the boards and videos...

i dont know how correct it is but im thinking it will look sumthing like that...?

Enshoku

Smash Lord
i dunno thats what people are saying toon link is good, i havent even played the game everything comes from what my friend tells me,what i read on the boards and videos...

i dont know how correct it is but im thinking it will look sumthing like that...?
wait until the brawl equivalant of the wavedash is found, then...

"YOSHI SQUIRTLE AND ZSS TOP TIER"

I can almost hear the sounds of people flaming me now...

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
actually i hear squirtle is pretty good, actually all the pokemon are good the trick is switching them in and out, sadly i dont think yoshi will ever be top tier

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
thats the good thing about this game the characters are more balanced, so everyone has the potential to be good with their favorite characters except for yoshi fans

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
does it really matter what anybody says, NO. there will always be debate over the tiers, even if the tier list is made up by Nintendo itself, people will be be like no this character is better because of this reason and they will fail to truly understand what makes the other character better/worse because they don't like/play them or for some underlying reason.

I'm all for a tier list, as long as people don't ***** about. I've already decided to main D.K. and nothing will change that. not even a tier list
looks like I went unheard to wario gamer

KnivesOut

Smash Rookie
top: marth,diddy,wolf,lucas,pit

high:fox,falco,samus,dedede,toon link,olimar,g&w,luigi,shiek,r.o.b,ike,lucario

mid:metaknight,PT,sonic,peach,zelda,mario,zamus, snake, wario,pikachu

low:link,falcon,ness,bowser,DK,ice climbers,kirby

bottom:ganondorf,jigglypuff,yoshi

i win
I've been playing pretty much all day for about 3 days now, and i can tell you that this is likely the closest to the truth.

IMO

Top: Marth, Diddy, Wolf, Lucas, Pit

High: Fox, Falco, Toon Link, G & W, Olimar, Dedede, Samus, Kirby, Luigi, Ike, Rob, Lucario

Mid: Sheik, Zelda, Metaknight, PT, Sonic, Peach, Mario, Zamus, Snake, Wario, Pikachu

Low: Link, Falcon, Ness, Bowser,DK, Ice Climbers,

Bottom: Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Yoshi

Enshoku

Smash Lord
I've been playing pretty much all day for about 3 days now, and i can tell you that this is likely the closest to the truth.

IMO

High: Fox, Falco, Toon Link, G & W, Olimar, Dedede, Samus, Kirby, Luigi, Ike, Rob, Lucario

Mid: Sheik, Zelda, Metaknight, PT, Sonic, Peach, Mario, Zamus, Snake, Wario, Pikachu

all day for 3 days... with 8 posts?

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
unless fumi plays yoshi in brawl, then he will be amazing, and everyone will be like wtf how is he doing that(fumi = best yoshi player ever)

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace

IMO

lol, thats amazing someone that has been playing the game for 3 days puts up a list close to mine while i havent even played the game...

dp ftw that would be funny if my guess turns out to be the actual tier list, i would go play the lotto or sumthing

Droly

Smash Ace
I don't see why everyone wants IC's for low tier
thats like saying if wanted marth to be low tier in melee he would be. Tiers aren't/shouldn't be based on the wants of someone. They should be based on the characters ability against all the rest.

Anyways if we are going to establish a tier list we should begin with TOP tier and the BOTTOM.

Top has to be between

Marth
Shiek
Olimar
Toon Link
Wolf
Pit
MK

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
shiek isnt going to me top this time, she been nerfed alot, mk has been nerfed since the e for all demo, every ele u listed has a chance

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I could've sworn tier lists were based on tournament results and not hypothetical situations -_-

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
lol sarcasm

My thoughts on a tier list:

We should wait 6 months for even considering a tier list. The game isn't even available to the majority of the public, so its idiotic to start coming up with hypothetical ones. There's going to be so much diversity in the tier lists created by people here that it would be impossible to make one that is accurate.

Tier lists are based off tournament results, not speculation. Most of the people in this thread haven't even played the game, so they are not in a position to say "So and so is better than so and so."

The King

Smash Ace
Marth is by far the best character in this game. The rest of the tier list is inconsequential; him maintaining his moveset from Melee coupled with the stronger damage, knockback, mobility and relatively low-% kills in Brawl more than cement his position.

King Out

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ike will be high tier I promise you.

This is my reasoning.

- AAA has super armor, does decent damage, and can KO, so it has solid knockback. He also has solid range on his jab.

- Good grab range and his u-throw actually has less knockback. So u-throw to Aether is his BnB combo.

- Aether is very fast and strong. I'm thinking Ike could Aether out of his shield to punish sloppy aerial approaches, just like Samus in Melee. Heck he might even be able to do it when someone tries to do a standard string on his shield just cuz it' so fast and he has SAF on it so it can't be interuppted, but that has to be tested.

- Ike is slow in running speed, but Quick Draw is great for getting around that. Comes out fast, has little lag, pretty safe to use since Ike is strong and it will most likely hit your opponent out of whatever attack they try to use. I imagine it would only lose to projectiles.

- This is the main thing that will make Ike one tough sonuva*****. Retreating aerials to reset his spacing. Both fair and bair has awesome range and Bair can kill. And the lag is average on both of them. So if you want to move back a bit just SH back and do one of these. Your opponent will be hard pressed to get past Ragnell.

- Ike has alot of shield stun on his moves. So with good spacing it will be very hard to punish him.

- Ike has some good tilts. U-tilt and f-tilt look pretty good. U-tilt looks like it hass no lag and the hitbox seems like stays out quite awhile.

The main thing about Ike is that I think everyone is gonna have trouble getting near him. And with retreating aerials and his quick draw, he now has mobility, effective spacing tools and safety all rolled into one.

Also I think that high tier in this game will be huge. There are alot of good characters in this game.

And Marth is pretty much number one right now. He can still kill really well, and still outranges the majority of the cast. And his comboability is still great which means alot in a game where it's harder to combo.

Enshoku

Smash Lord
Ike vs Samus fight seem like they would always go like this:

samus keeps ike away=samus wins

ike manages to give samus a ragnell hug= Ike wins
--------------------------------------------
All I know is that I will perfect the aethercide until no-one without gravity affected projectiles will edgeguard me.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Marth is by far the best character in this game. The rest of the tier list is inconsequential; him maintaining his moveset from Melee coupled with the stronger damage, knockback, mobility and relatively low-% kills in Brawl more than cement his position.

King Out
That, combined with the overall weakening of the effectiveness of projectiles. Who knows though, may yet be something new we learn.

Also, I couldn't disagree more with Pit in top tier with two other characters. No way is he that good, his kill moves are both weak and extremely hard to hit with. If anything, he's at the bottom of top tier, and right now I'm leaning more toward top of mid.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Pit should be in top tier just because of his decent speed and combos. Also right now he has one of if not the best projectile in the game.

Kill moves? Pshhhh. Pit can edgeguard you like no other.

SockNinja

Smash Journeyman
I explained my reasoning, which is that melee is very deep. Brawl does not have any expanded game play elements of melee in reality it did the opposite . What it did do is make the game easier to play for the noobs. Even Sakurai stated he might be aiming for casual(noob) players and less depth.

"Of course, I think there was a possibility of taking Smash Bros. in a more casual-gaming direction. For example, we could make the art style simpler or make it possible to use Miis. However, with the various titles that the Wii was to offer, I felt that people were looking for something different. That’s the reason I decided in very early stages of development that the Wii pointer and motion movements would not be a primary feature of the game. "

He even thinks that less depth will hold a gamers attention. Which is the opposite of what it does.

"Sakurai
It’s best to have both approaches, right? If I had been at Nintendo, I may have made a Smash Bros. Brawl that was more in line with the Wii. As a result, I feel, in some ways, that my decision-making wasn’t the very best…particularly as gamers readily tire of games these days. Smash Bros. Brawl may not be effective as it tries to perfect the experience of conventional games.

Iwata
Without a doubt, the rapid speed at which consumers make purchases and then grow tired of them is an area of game development in which the balance has been thoroughly upset. Some time ago we were able to say "if we invest this much effort to make this type of product, gamers should get this much fun play time out of it." Now, however, these odds are changing and there is a feeling that the product won’t hold the gamers attention unless you continually design more game contents and add more depth.

Sakurai

That’s why I think games like Wii Sports and Wii Fit were a step in the right direction. I’m not saying that these games lack depth, but these games proposed an unprecedented line of thinking and broke from the old "more contents and more depth" philosophy. "

You are a noob don't talk to me like you know what you are talking about.
You are going to suck at brawl hahahahaa. Go find some more SEKRUT CODEZ

PS: You guys are done

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
WAY too early for this discussion.
Sure, there have been a few tournaments already.
We'll probably need like, 50+ before we can even consider a tier list, and even then it won't be reliable until the MetaGame begins to start declining in growth.
-DD

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
DD: Agreed. Although I like how Kirby seems to be way better. Maybe some of the elitists will shut up now that a lot of their characters got nerfed. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom