• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HowaitoKumaSan

Smash Apprentice
The spacies will probably end up top tier again
Trust me, the only space animal that might even dream of being top tier is Wolf. He's very good, has hard-hitting smashes, and has a great recovery. Fox's forward smash has gotten a bit more range, and his upward smash is still as good as ever, but he's a shell of his former self. Falco is, too. His lasers still stun, but they don't make you lose your momentum in the air, so while you'll stop someone's attack, they'll still be coming for you.

First off, I agree with you, his final smash isn't the best, but it isn't the worst. Until you get the hang of it, it looks hard to control, but tiers might not be counted on final smashes. The two main things people think Yoshi got nerfed in is the loss of his DJC, and the fact that he can't jump out of his shield. DJC isn't a total loss, I mean he has lost some of his mindgame possiblilities, but it also opens up a new set of mindgames. The fact that he can't jump out of his shield does suck, I won't lie, but that's for us Yoshi players to deal with. He recieved some great combo ability, hes one of the fastest and heaviest characters in the game (a great combination, I think), and his attacks increased in range and power. Basically, to sum it all up, wait until brawl comes out, look at some pro yoshis play, and see how great Yoshi can be.

HowaitoKumaSan, I respect your opinions, I like how you stated them without flaming the heck out of the character:psycho:, like a lot of people did alot earlier on in this thread.
I never figured that FS's would be considered for tiers, since I figured nobody would be using them. If they were included in the equation, the tier list woud be DRASTICALLY different, believe me.

I agree with your other points, too. Yoshi still can rock faces, and I still won't underestimate one next time I fight against one.

And I try not to flame characters, unless the person backing them up is a complete fanboy/psycho/idiot. I'm looking at a certain Link user who posted before me...

Link Lord

Smash Journeyman
In a place where people are tortured endlessly and
We didn't ask you to list the character's pros and cons as anyone can do just the same for about any character, which is why everybody seems to believe that everyone's going to be high tier. Again, how does he fare against the rest of the cast? Who are his worst match-ups? Who does he counter? How well does he do in high level tournaments?

Right, you don't know.
You know what, you're right. I haven't even played Brawl yet.:(

I never meant to sound obnoxious(sp?), I just believe with all his buffs, Link at least deserves mid tier.(That's another thing. I never said that I thought he should be top or even high tier, I just thought he deserved better.)I should have taken into account that's only what User33 thought of him.:ohwell:

So, yeah; sorry.

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
hi guyz me and my freind have all ben playin brawl fer the past cupple weeks (we imported it from japan and modded my brothers wii lol) and we hav diveloped our own OFFICIAL BRAWL TIER LIST

xXx OFFICIAL BRAWL TIER LIST xXx

VERSION 1.0c

-:( UBER LEET GOD TIER ):-

ROB -
rob is incredible. his tilts are better than anyone in the game, and his downsmash is broken. throw in an upb where he can ATTACK WHILE ITS OCCURING and you ahve probably the best character in the game

KIRBY -
kirby is probably the BEST character in brawl. his dash attack is very good now and the winner in san fransisco won with him

MARIO -
the improvements to mario from melee and 64 are drastic. even w/o wavedashing, he can still combo very well. his downsmash is probably the best in the game.

FOX -
THEY DIDNT FIX HIM but i dont care since fox is kewl . his fsmash is even better now. however, he is god tier, but he has sufferd the most from the removal of lcanceling and wavedashing.

META KNIGHT -
i LOVE meta knight. his moves are not powerful but he is like SLASHYSLASHYSLASHY and can edgeguard like no other

LUIGI -
he is the BEST character in the game. his moveset is good and his TAUNT DEALS DAMAGE. having one more attack than anyone else really puts him over the edge IMO

SOLID SNAKE -
his nickeeta missels are one of the most powerful attacks in the game since you can control its dirrection! consider also tht his downsmash plants a friggin mine and you have one of the most powerful characters ever in any videogame ever

MEGAMAN -
i know he's not in the game, but if he was he would be in this tier. his attacks would be awesome since hed be like a faster more manly version of samus

(( UPPER CRUST TIER ))

ICE CLIMBERS -
a fantastic character since ther are two of them, but they suffer from some problems that make them combined worse than, for example, an uber tier character. first of all, their final smash is stupid, i mean, why would they create a mountain? on a big level like hyrule, its all but worthless. also, their smash attacks have been nerfed, and they suffer from the lack of wavedashing pretty severaly

POKEMON TRAINER -
POKEMON TRAINER is great. he is like the ice climbers in that he is THREE characters in one. it is powerful mindgame to switch pokemon midgame since your oponent has to adjust their strategy!

ZELDA/SHIEK -
they improved zelda quite a bit and nerfd shieks fair, which is sad because i mained shiek in melee. still, if you are fast enough, you can combo them off the edge with shiek and then edgeguard with zelda. POWERFUL

SAMUS/ZERO SAMUS -
samus is pretty good. her sex kick is back and her smash attakcs are good but her missles frekaing stink in brawl. however samus definitely wins the award for HOTTEST character in the game XD. her whip is very goooood and she will be one of those characters who will go far in brawl tourneys

DIDDY KONG -
diddy is FAST. also, his dash attack and neutral air look the same, which WILL lead to some impresive mindgames by the pros. it also helps that his smash attacks are good and his up tilt is aesome

FALCO "VINCE" LOMBARDI -
his fsmash has been improved, his tilt attacks seem better, but hes been slown down a little. still, he's a great character for noobs and pros alike

LINK -
link comes back much better and balanced in brawl. his up b is nerfed a little but can be charaged up and used like it was in melee. also, his arrows have been much improved and fire straight now, and his smash attacks seem more powerful. i like link

|=+ BAD TIER +=|

CAPTAIN FACLON -
SHOW ME YOUR MOVES XD. falcon is hilarious but he has been nerfed heavily from melee. i wish his atacks did more damage and knockback, but they really lowered his stregnth. and as such, they lowered hsi speed. he's really not as good in melee sadly

SONIC -
i dont care if hes the fastest thing alive. he's also the crappiest thing alive, since his attacks are weak as heck. his fsmash has like, NO range whatsoever, and why the heck would sonic punch something anyways? stupid.

DONKEY KONG -
slow is the only word i can use to describe him. i was considering puting him on the refuse to rate tier since he battled mario, but he has cleaned up his ways and become one of the good guys by fighting K. ROOL (who SHOULD ahve been in brawl). back to the character though, his moves are very good but he is slower than a sleeping parapalegic, so i cant rate him any higher

NESS -
ness is sadly bad in this game, but its beause they didnt change him much from melee. he still has a powerful back air and fsmash, but he feels weak compared to the other characters in the game

IKE -
oh man, i wanted to rate ike so much higher. he LOOKS cool and is ultra powerful, but he is slllllllllloooooooowwww. i bet noobs will use him because he looks cool but he is not good folks.

-: NOOB TIER :- - u'd have to be a total noob to use these characters XD

OLIMAR -
olimer is so bad it hurts. you can't attack unless you use b moves, which is stupid because sometimes i forget. its not fair that the game punished me because i didnt pull out pikmin. also his tether recovery stinks more than a cracked egg left on yoru couner for 3 weeks lol!

TOON LINK -
I HATE TOON LINK SO MUCH, his down aerial kilsl me all the time. if i am off the edge in melee i can pogo them but in brawl they removed that feature

LUCAS -
lucas is really bad since he is esentaily an underpowered version of NESS. i would have liked him to be good, but his grab is very slow but he has no real kill moves

YOSHI -
yoshi is so bad. i thought he wuld be ultra tier when i herd about the up-b improvement but he has no attaks tht deal any damge, it so stupid

LUCARIO -
WHY DID THEY TAKE OUT MEWTWO AND PUT IN THIS JOKE LUCARIO STINKS WORSE THAN A BURNING BAG OF FECES THAT MY FRIEND PUT ON MY DOORSTEP. i mean, his moves take like 5 years to come out, and when they do, they deal like 2% damage. i am so infuriated by this

PIKACHU -
pikachu suffers from what i call "crapp character" syndrome. he was bad in meelee and nintendo 64 smash brothers melee and is still bad in brawl. they should just take him out!

WARIO -
wario has no realy good attacks. he can dash dance pretty eaisly but other than that he isnt very good. his fsmash has limited range and his bmoves are easily aovided.

<{ ????? TIER }>

JIGGLYPUFF -
jigglypuff is very good but i havent figured out a good stratigy with her (or him lol) yet. i think he (or she) can be good but jiggly is very different in melee than in brawl

WULF -
it is hard 2 rate wulf sence me and my friend hav not unloked him yet. i wuld assum that he is very powerfil since he is a furry like fox, falco, and donkey kong

~<<< I REFUSE TO RATE TIER >>>~

DEDEDEDE -
he is fat and slow but strong but i wont play him since hes a BAD GUY

GANONDORF -
see dedededede.

MARTH -
his attacxks are brokin and i wont let me or my friends play him since he is so unfaer. i hate marth mains so much :(

PIT -
pit is the most effeminite character in the game and ALSO greek. as such, i cannot review him in an unbiased manner since my family is fundamentalist christians and we don't condone sodomy like the ancient greeks partook in, as pit is one of them

PLEASE LEAVE SOME COMMENTS! i will be revising this list as i play the game and i take your comments seriously. THANK YOU FOR READING IT and i hope it helps you first time players with understand the game a bit more
Successful troll is successful.

Naybewon

Smash Ace
...I really think it would be best to play the game for AT LEAST year before trying to determine any tier rankings.

I COME IN PEACE. PLEASE DON'T FLAME ME. T_T

BentoBox

Smash Master
slashinroy is the most ignorant and immature person to ever post here. No joke.
Actually, I found his previous post to be a pretty accurate depiction of the level of ignorance spreading on these boards lately. Whether he was being serious or not, I don't know, fact is a lot of people are when claiming that <insert char here> will be high tier because <enter random bs here>.

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink
I don't think Yoshi's bad, I think he looks pretty decent. Better than Melee Yoshi. However, compared to the rest of the cast, he kind of falls short. It doesn't look like anybody really sucks this time around. (Though looks like Ganondorf will have to be played differently...)

shortwanabelaker

Smash Journeyman
my tier list (ive never played, but im pretty sure its accurate

in no specific order

god tier
sonic
snake

top tier

marth
fox
metaknight
diddy
pit

high tier

falco
wolf
dedede
ike
toon link
zelda
mario
luigi
peach

mid tier

zss
bowser
kirby
game and watch
rob (due to lack of usage)
samus
sheik
PT
falcon
pikachu

low tier

wario
lucas
ness
olimar
gannondorf
DK
jigglypuff
link
lucario

bottom tier

yoshi
ice climbers

D

Deleted member

Naybewon is right. We should wait a little while before we start talking tiers; The majority of North America and Europe doesn't have Brawl yet.

Famous

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure that it's not going to matter which character is top tier or not this time around...everyone seems equal in some sort of matter. There will just be counter picks for certain characters.

Patinator

Smash Champion
...Can someone ban slashinroy? Jeez.

But anyway, it would seem that the game is much more balanced than Melee. But not the level that tiers are nonexistant. I DO think I have to definite picks for the lower half and top half.

LOW

Ike
Yoshi

Ike has very slow moves. But he's also REALLY powerful. But of course, power doesn't mean squat if you can't hit anyone.

Yoshi just doesn't seem that good. Better than in Melee, but still.

Now, I'm not saying these characters seem bad. Just worse than average. ...

HIGH

King Dedede
Wolf
Fox
Falco

Must I explain Dedede? His F-Smash is the most powerful move in the game. It's also horribly slow, and he's slow too. But at the same time, he's heavy, and has a good recovery. Oh yeah, and he has potent projectiles (Namely Gordo).

Space Animals

Fox and Falco have been nerfed a bit. EVER so slightly. But even then, Falco's F-Smash is more powerful, he still has his spike, he can SHDL, and his Up B is better. Fox's Up-Air and Up Smash are weakened, but his Shine apparently spikes more down.

Now Wolf obviously isn't nerfed. He hasn't been in a Smash game before. :laugh:

He's not exactly horribly slow, he's plenty powerful, has a technique similar to the WoP, Wolf Walling, and his lasers are more powerful, though less rangey, than Falco's. A great recovery, although the lack of wall-hugging (Is that it?) hinders him. Of course, it hinders everyone...

Enshoku

Smash Lord
in a box of fading memories, and everlasting knowl

But anyway, it would seem that the game is much more balanced than Melee. But not the level that tiers are nonexistant. I DO think I have to definite picks for the lower half and top half.

LOW

Ike
Yoshi

Ike has very slow moves. But he's also REALLY powerful. But of course, power doesn't mean squat if you can't hit anyone.

HIGH

King Dedede
Wolf
Fox
Falco

Must I explain Dedede? His F-Smash is the most powerful move in the game. It's also horribly slow, and he's slow too. But at the same time, he's heavy, and has a good recovery. Oh yeah, and he has potent projectiles (Namely Gordo).

Space Animals

Fox and Falco have been nerfed a bit. EVER so slightly. But even then, Falco's F-Smash is more powerful, he still has his spike, he can SHDL, and his Up B is better. Fox's Up-Air and Up Smash are weakened, but his Shine apparently spikes more down.

He's not exactly horribly slow, he's plenty powerful, has a technique similar to the WoP, Wolf Walling, and his lasers are more powerful, though less rangey, than Falco's. A great recovery, although the lack of wall-hugging (Is that it?) hinders him. Of course, it hinders everyone...
poor Ike,though he seems to play better than Dk, Dk is more awkward than in melee... I'm sure the fact that I was using a wii-mote had something to do with that though. I've heard nothing good about yoshi...

BentoBox

Smash Master

LOW

Ike
Yoshi

HIGH

King Dedede
Wolf
Fox
Falco

Space Animals

And how are you any better than slashinroy? Your assumptions are as ridiculous as his because they're all unfounded. None of your opinions even matter, we'll have to wait for actual tournaments before establishing anything of the sort.

RayJT9

Smash Rookie
Perhaps they're better than slashinroy because slashinroy was trolling. ;)

I do see your point, BentoBox, but perhaps some of these people whose assumptions you're calling ridiculous have played the game at great length.

--Ray

Digital Angel

Smash Journeyman
...I'm just guessing you haven't used him or watched him at all. Your loss.
I'm guessing you're not the least bit bias here. :/

What people don't realize is that on average a character will be mid-tier. Every forum I see everyone is trying to argue that so and so will be high or top tier. It's much too early for this.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
I like how some people base their own tier lists because of watching videos, instead of actually playing the game.
i like how some people base tiers list off of soley theyre own experieces. whereas people that havent played 6he game(and consider them selves pretty well informed on how smash is played) have a better unbiased view of what characters they see are doing well.

TerranMasse

Smash Cadet
well i've played the game and here are my predictions

-Wolf - very cool new player who is a very powerful character with some decent speed, all you could want if you like the agility you get with fox and falco and the feel of having power like you could find in ganon. i'm feeling middle to high tier

-Peach - very different from melee, actually one of my mains in melee, so i can definitely tell that she's different, i dunno if i can say if she's been nerfed yet or not, her fsmash isn't the push like it was previously, but more of a double strike with little knockback power, though damage isnt terrible, her fair has little delay, making for faster execution and good knockback power, so you may see her fair used more often, they killed her second jump, for it doesnt have the awesome twirl or height it had in melee, dair is still the same, edge guarding is still good, uair i think has added height, her dsmash was another hit she took, it isnt nearly as epic as it was in melee......unfortunately im thinkin middle tier is gonna be the best ive seen from her. it's also disappointing to see that vidjo said that she sucks, but i dunno, their still may be some potential, it will just require a new playing style to use her

-Lucas - Lucas is a good addition to the game and i think he has some potential. granted his recovery is still fairly easy to counter, he's gotta lot of things goin for him. his tether recovery i think will be key to competitive play and will help him in the long run. mainly he's a power house, he's got two different spikes, a ranged down and up smash, not to mention his pika fire shoots a horizontal bolt unlike ness's diagonal bolt. he deals a great amount of damage with awesome smash attacks all around. i'm definitely guessing middle tier unless his recovery keeps him from doing so

-Ness - i definitely think they gave him a little more power than what he had in melee, and i think he's definitely in the same boat with Lucas, yoyo has more knockback which is great, his bat sends people a great distance, and i love his second jump which seems to move a little faster and higher than in melee....again i think he has potential and will place in middle tier, unless again because of recovery

-Metaknight - very awesome combos and can rack up the damage fast, feels like a mix between sonic and kirby, but a lack of finishing moves, definitely feeling a middle / high tier position

-Link - still slow as crap, but it seems like he is able to defend himself a little better with strong attacks and more attack coverage, but i dunno where he's gonna place, id say middle/low tier

-ROB - slow, but powerful and is very very hard to knock back, good/powerful ranged attacks.....but i don't really see him going anywhere.....low tier

-Sonic - he has the speed and agility, and can rack up a good amount of damage, but he has zero finishing moves.......nevertheless im guessing high tier

Those were the characters that i played with, against, and really paid attention to

HowaitoKumaSan

Smash Apprentice
i like how some people base tiers list off of soley theyre own experieces. whereas people that havent played 6he game(and consider them selves pretty well informed on how smash is played) have a better unbiased view of what characters they see are doing well.
Hey, that was a shot at me, wasn't it? ;)

In all fairness, I haven't made a tier list, just given some reasons why I think D3 could be top tier.

comboking

Smash Master
I think sonic is great I have nothing against him being in brawl but

he is fast but we all know that but his smash attacks don't have that much strength
one of the reasons Fox was top tieris because he is fast and his smashes are strong and his shine spike was really good

WHAT I'VE BEEN SHINE SPIKED AT 15% man thats gimped

Repryx

Smash Champion
If the Phrase "Tires Don Exits" ever proved to be true....It proved true in Brawl...I cant put Tiers into the game because its become SO Balanced...That being Said...Sakurai himself said that he wanted to make it so each Character had strengths over some and waknessess 2 others. I think he did a pretty god job on that.
-Ciao

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Everyone who posts a tier list in here is adding fuel to the fire. it is impossible for anyone to be completely un-biased. this is exactly why the smash back room takes care of this, they work together and make sacrifices trying to understand where the next person comes from. everyone in here(excluding a few) is so sure they are right they talk **** to the next person about why they are wrong without asking why or even trying to understand. this is just stupid. if you really want to get something done in here, cooperate with each other, give each other a chance, ( if you are called a dip **** because you believe in something and aren't allowed to defend yourself, how would you feel??) and really study what make a character better than another.

/Done

Heroic

Smash Cadet
A LOT of people don't know what they are talking about. Since we can't be sure of any tier list for now, I'll just talk about what I'm pretty sure.

1. Characters are more balanced in this game
even though there is still better characters than others, the difference is less apparent than in melee. We definitely need to wait that some dedicated players explore the possibilities for each character.

There probably won't be as much as five or 6 tiers, but more like 3 or 4.

High tier: Characters like olimar, game and watch and toon link, maybe some others, wich have some broken moves

mid tier: the vast majority of characters, all pretty good if played correctly

lower tier: Characters that have a slight disadvantage over the others, yet still can perform fairly well when handled by dedicated players. I think bowser fits in there.

Just remember that this game plays very differently then melee. Just because a character has received a nerf or two doesn't mean he is not as high on the tier list as he was in melee.

Also, just because a character is slow doesn't mean he can't be good. There are now several moves on the heavy characters that give juggernaut frames (example, Ike's recovery, as well as his eruption and I think his forward smash has some too when he strikes).
This may not seem like much, but it is a tremendous advantage.

Again, to make a clear judgement, one must make the transition from melee to brawl before saying anything on character balance.

Famous

Smash Champion
If the Phrase "Tires Don Exits" ever proved to be true....It proved true in Brawl...I cant put Tiers into the game because its become SO Balanced...That being Said...Sakurai himself said that he wanted to make it so each Character had strengths over some and waknessess 2 others. I think he did a pretty god job on that.
-Ciao

My words exactly...It's like the Weapon Triangle in Fire Emblem to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom