• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Metaknight Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman
Okay then explain to me please how MK can circumvent "If you grab the ledge over 30 times in 1 match under any circumstances, you will lose that match" because I am dumb and clueless so I would seriously appreciate it if you could explain that to me.
At the end of the match isn't there some thing that says your aerial distance covered in 1 match or something? What if we made it so that you cannot pass a specific totaled distance to prevent scrooging a lot or something
Awesome. I hope the rule only applis to MK though, because if not Pit is sure to drop in the tier list.

Right, and so you guys do not want to put in rules because you automatically decide that this is pointless since MK has bypassed the current rules already. Apparently everything has been thought of, well I am not a giver upper <~ not a word

^ then of course i will be ridiculed
Ok, then don't say you're anti-ban. Say you are pro-restriction. As long as those restrictions only apply to MK i'm all for them.

Lower it to 20 ledge grabs. M2K only grabbed a ledge 6 times in one recent match vs Ally iirc. 50~60 is not reliable.
Like I said, Im pretty sure there is a aerial distance thing at the end of each match. If we can average out normal distances covered by MKs then we can put a restriction on how far he flies, and if it is exceeded, we can call a stalling issue. I bet this is too much work.

I could pull up the issue "we could call a stalling issue based on judgements" but that is highly unreliable since people can just say "i wasn't trying to stall" etc etc.
A restriction on glide distance..... So... Now TO's will need to take graphic calculators o tourneys??? (I know you can check it in the stats screen)

Anyways, restrictions are fine and all, but this would require a serious amount of moderating, and time. They would also seriously kill his metagame, since much of it relies on most of these anyway.

Fine, put all reestrictions on MK, but you're going to have to be one of tose "MK-referees" since it all seems so easy to do.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
It's the same as people getting hit by a laggy smash.
you can sheild/spotdodge/avoid most of them on reaction but chudat hits with random fsmashes aaaaaaaaall the time.
I falcon punched Will's DK twice.
I Falcon punched NinjaLink with Falcon as well.
I have also Falcon punched numerous other players.

Does that change the fact that Falcon punch should be avoided?
No it does not change that fact.

Peole are human.

SF2 Akuma should ALWAYS win.
He didn't though, why? human error.

By your logic, nothing should ever be banned because we should hope for that 1 screw up.
If it is humanely possible, we presume it done to perfection.
MK's ledge camping, its very well within human possibility.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Awesome. I hope the rule only applis to MK though, because if not Pit is sure to drop in the tier list.

Ok, then don't say you're anti-ban. Say you are pro-restriction. As long as those restrictions only apply to MK i'm all for them.

A restriction on glide distance..... So... Now TO's will need to take graphic calculators o tourneys??? (I know you can check it in the stats screen)

Anyways, restrictions are fine and all, but this would require a serious amount of moderating, and time. They would also seriously kill his metagame, since much of it relies on most of these anyway.

Fine, put all reestrictions on MK, but you're going to have to be one of tose "MK-referees" since it all seems so easy to do.
Ok, I am pro restriction. That makes more sense actually
No, you do not need to monitor MK flying around with calculators....... I mean at the end of each match, it says stuff like how many ledge grabs you have and stuff. If I recall correctly, one of them is aerial distance. If an MK is intentionally stalling, then the aerial distance should be significant enough for us to call a stalling/scrooging issue... and I really don't see that many scrooging incidences anyway.. inb4 M2K vs GNES or PLANK vs that diddy
and this can be for MK only.. who cares if his metagame goes down HE'S ALREADY SUPER GOOD

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
If you have to place this many restrictions on ONE character, ban him.
This isn't something you can question.
Otherwise, lets ban SF2 Akuma's air fireball, red fireball, and his combo's.
There, he is now perfectly legal.

-_-
Get my point?
We don't limit characters just so we can keep them in the game.
It's terrible to do.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
By your logic, nothing should ever be banned because we should hope for that 1 screw up.
I never really said any of this, it's all a bunch of assumptions.

The other half of this post is basically helping my argument.
if ninjalink can get hit by a falcon punch, he can very easily mess up a planking attempt.
there would be more than 1 screw up.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
If you have to place this many restrictions on ONE character, ban him.
This isn't something you can question.
Otherwise, lets ban SF2 Akuma's air fireball, red fireball, and his combo's.
There, he is now perfectly legal.

-_-
Get my point?
We don't limit characters just so we can keep them in the game.
It's terrible to do.
This is already what I frikken said . People always pull the "if you have to put so many rules on 1 char ban him blah blah cus it's easier" or we can not be lazy and keep him in so people who actually put time and effort into playing MK can still play as MK

why is it terrible? because it's too much work? ok i dont believe in that.

inb4 who cares what i believe in this is about the community;

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I never really said any of this, it's all a bunch of assumptions.

It isn't an assumption.
It is exactly as you said.
Spelt said:
It's the same as people getting hit by a laggy smash.
you can sheild/spotdodge/avoid most of them on reaction but chudat hits with random fsmashes aaaaaaaaall the time.
Getting hit by Ike's Forward smash wheny ou are in a position to avoid it is called ERROR. Human error. you should NEVER, EVER get hit by Ike's Fsmash outside of a dizzy.

When someone screws up planking when by all means its well within the possibility of being done erfectly, it is regarded as human error and should be ignored.
The other half of this post is basically helping my argument.
if ninjalink can get hit by a falcon punch, he can very easily mess up a planking attempt.
there would be more than 1 screw up.
. . .

What?

If Ninjalink gets nailed by a Falcon punch, it is human error.
We do NOT rely on human error to be the basis of a decision unless it is within reason.
If the technique is within human capability, we assume it is done perfectly.

All you've done is show the logical fallacy to your argument.

Again, as I said in my post, by your logic, we cannot ban ANYTHING because of human error.
Someone WILL screw up their circle planking on Hyrule and die.
Someone WILL screw up their circle camping on Pork City and die.
Someone WILL screw up the rising pound and DIE.
Someone WILL screw up their planking.

We do not ban something just because of the 1/1,000,000 occurrence that someone screws up.

This is already what I frikken said . People always pull the "if you have to put so many rules on 1 char ban him blah blah cus it's easier" or we can not be lazy and keep him in so people who actually put time and effort into playing MK can still play as MK

Actually I was speaking in general. XD
I come off as very argumentative when I post.

the smash community tends to fall in love with its players who, are also in love with their characters.

Don't ban MK, then M2K will leave!

During such issues like MK's legality, we really should not care about such things.
We should remain united in the fact that, hey, we have a character who is questionable, we may differ but in the end, it is for the communities benefit.

Instead, peopleae the conflict and make it into something larger.
You get stupid things like TO's making pledges.
Really, people can disagree but still be friends.

Hell I disagree with Adumbrodeus at times, doesn't change the fact that I respect the guy.

OH I went off on another tangent. Whoops.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
banning MK is fair for the 36 other characters. that's 97%.
There are still characters that are viable vs MK.
inb4"oh but the majority still is under MK's shadow which is unfair!!!" then WHY in melee do I see fox falco sheik marth all the time? That's like 4 chars. brawl we have MK snake falco diddy which is 4. I dont want to hear that melee shouldn't be a comparison because it's a much more balance game.
spelt said:
I'm really not sure how this would work. and you'd need a LARGE and VERY specific rule, not to mention the time and effort you would need to make a proper call.
i foresee a lot of problems with this.
What are you talking about? I said if I recall correctly, at the end of each match, it shows the number of ledge grabs a long with other things, and I THINK one of them is aerial distance covered.

spelt said:
show me a video of a 30 LGL stopping an MK from planking.
ok wtf this is a stupid rebuttal i can't read what the MK is thinking even if the match looks like a normal clean one.
In this case we cant prove each other wrong

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
but ... we have to take in account human error.
if physics taught me one thing it is this.
we can never expect anything to be perfect.
human error is a huge part.

2 uair hitboxes takes 15 frames to complete, that's 6 frames the MK has to drop off the ledge.
that's not a large window at all...

circle camping/planking on both those stages have very large windows of opportunity.
i don't see a rule for rising pound so that's a moot point.

The Brigand

Smash Cadet
But you're really missing something important here, which is the issue of incentive, if there's no incentive for the losing player to approach, why would he?
That example you gave was camping, yeah, and odds are if it were up to me I'd probably give you two a one minute warning to think of something.

After that minute's up and nothing's changed, then I'd declare both of you to be stalling, politely inform you that there are no refunds and that while you're welcome to watch other people's matches, neither of you are in the tournament anymore.

If he started trying to approach, and let's say that hypothetically speaking Marth can't actually do anything whatsoever about this so of course he's failing miserably, I'd say you were stalling and <see above>. In the reality that is Melee, though, I'd let it slide because the odds are really in favor of it being a beatable strategy.

If both of you went on to do something else entirely then I'd let it slide until the next incident.

And, of course, all of this is subjective.

EDIT: Forgot to put my response to what I actually quoted. Silly me.

The incentive is that if he isn't approaching, he loses. In a game with the timer, it's because he's behind and the game automatically goes to the person in the lead when time's up. In a game without the timer, it's because I said so. And I only say so if I believe he's stalling.

Which is completely sufficating for metagame advancement. People will be too worried about being called out for "stalling" to try anything new that even REMOTELY RESEMBLES stalling. If that were the case, we would never develop the complex ledge game that we have for smash.
I really don't understand this. It almost sounds like you're saying that a no stalling rule shouldn't be enforced because then people will be too afraid to try new things. If that's really what you're saying, then why even have the rule in the first place?

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
What are you talking about? I said if I recall correctly, at the end of each match, it shows the number of ledge grabs a long with other things, and I THINK one of them is aerial distance covered.
this still doesn't explain how we make the rule or have judges in force it.
that argument would be crazier than the one to decide a universal ledge grab limit... 6_9

Kaffei

Smash Hero
this still doesn't explain how we make the rule or have judges in force it.
that argument would be crazier than the one to decide a universal ledge grab limit... 6_9
We go around recording aerial covered from a variety of MKs and average them out, then we can use that as a limit... But it should be a random variety so it's not a majority of stallers or a majority of regulars. lol @ 6_9
so if it was like 500, then if you go over 500 you are probably stalling/scrooging.

But if there's no "aerial distance covered" thing at the end of the match then this idea just goes to the trash bin.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
We go around recording aerial covered from a variety of MKs and average them out, then we can use that as a limit... But it should be a random variety so it's not a majority of stallers or a majority of regulars. lol @ 6_9
so if it was like 500, then if you go over 500 you are probably stalling/scrooging.
who's to say the majority of the BR would agree with this method?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Agreed. It's out of our hands at this point. There is little new to be said, and all we can do is trust that MLG and the BBR come up with a ruleset that will ensure a healthy community.

Edit: **** this moves fast. I was agreeing with Orion.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
but ... we have to take in account human error.
Only when it is within REASON.
if physics taught me one thing it is this.
we can never expect anything to be perfect.
human error is a huge part.
In such a case, yes, it is perfectly fine to bring in human limitation.

2 uair hitboxes takes 15 frames to complete, that's 6 frames the MK has to drop off the ledge.
that's not a large window at all...
6 frames is fine.

Why?
Melee Fox.
To do a perfect wavedash with melee Fox you have his jump frames, and his air dodge frames.

5(in the air)
6(air dodge)
7 (actual wave dash)

Do correct me if I am wrong on the frame data.

We see Fox player's wave dash with Fox on a consistent basis, it is very rare for them to screw up the wave dash.
6 frames is perfectly fine.

Or take TvC CGOH
Tekkaman blade's BnB combo.

5A~>5B~>2B~>5C~>3C~>ABB~>2C~>8C~>623AB

you have roughly 6 frames in order to jump from the ABB ~>2C.
if the timing is off by even one frame, the 2C will hit too deeply and by the time you land on the ground to perform his Ketzbalger (8C), the opponent will hit the ground.
Or you will not hit them at all with 2C and miss any oppurtunity to continue the combo.
I managed this 75% of the time and im getting better too.

There is also a 1 frame window for his ABB~AB~236A aerial combo.
After the AB you have 1 frame where you can tun the combo into a broken combo (where damage scaling resets) but the opponent is still within hitstun.

I can't get the timing for that down yet but I can manage it roughly 50% of the time.

Wheny ou have the ability to buffer, it helps a TON.
Brawl's buffer is nicely sized.

Edit1: The second combo requires you DONT buffer the 236A cause well if you do then you wont be able to link to his Crash Interlude without damage scaling.
EItherway you still do around 21billion (28 if you time it right)

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Actually I was speaking in general. XD
I come off as very argumentative when I post.

the smash community tends to fall in love with its players who, are also in love with their characters.

Don't ban MK, then M2K will leave!

During such issues like MK's legality, we really should not care about such things.
We should remain united in the fact that, hey, we have a character who is questionable, we may differ but in the end, it is for the communities benefit.

Instead, peopleae the conflict and make it into something larger.
You get stupid things like TO's making pledges.
Really, people can disagree but still be friends.

Hell I disagree with Adumbrodeus at times, doesn't change the fact that I respect the guy.

OH I went off on another tangent. Whoops.
Very admirable, and true.

but what about my stalling aerial thing.
edt; too tired time for bed bye

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
But those are just muscle memory of certain button inputs.
that's like comparing it to sheik's dacus. it has a very little window but it doesn't matter when you spam buttons in a certain order.

dropping off a ledge is 1 input with nothing to clue you in on when you should do it.
how does muscle memory save you from this.

I can do sheiks dacus 90% of the time.
however, i have NEVER successfully executed a chain jacket, even though dacus has a smaller window of opportunity.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
But those are just muscle memory of certain button inputs.
that's like comparing it to sheik's dacus. it has a very little window but it doesn't matter when you spam buttons in a certain order.

dropping off a ledge is 1 input with nothing to clue you in on when you should do it.
how does muscle memory save you from this.
That is not really addressnig what i meant to point out.
You are saying that we should account for human error.
The fact that human's are capable of mastering such elaborate combo's that have such an incredibly small margin of error is enough to say what they are capable of doing.

you are going off of the LIMITED options with which your opponent has when facing you.
As listed by DMG earlier, MK has MANY, MANY viable options on the ledge.
Those with projectiles have a difficult time since it i very easy tor each to them.
They have to be a set distance in order for it to hit the ledge (bombs).
Or their movements will be very very obvious (bomb drops).
both of which can be solved by dropping down and hitting down B.
In such a situation you are perfectly fine since even if you miss the ledge you end up on the stage.

From MK's position on the ledge he has PLENTY of time to react to the opponent's behavior with his abilities.

Edit: I chain jacket like a pro =P
Edit2: I CANNOT DACUS with Sheik though.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I did address what you pointed out ... those are two different situations and really not relevant to each other.

most of MKs options don't cover the 30 frames you need to wait out until you can regrab the ledge though, sure it is rather unpunishable but now we're just back to arguing about how broken mk is with his ridiculous list of options.

I wish i could chain jacket. :c so many things i could do with it... sigh.

anyway, it was fun but i really should be heading off to sleep now.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I did address what you pointed out ... those are two different situations and really not relevant to each other.
The argument was human limitation. Consideing the fact you can also buffer what MK does once you're on the ledge helps too.

most of MKs options don't cover the 30 frames you need to wait out until you can regrab the ledge though, sure it is rather unpunishable but now we're just back to arguing about how broken mk is with his ridiculous list of options.
Actually they do.
Didn't you check out DMG's thread?

I wish i could chain jacket. :c so many things i could do with it... sigh.
The only problem is that you have 3 outcomes.
Success: Eat this Chain!
Fail: **** need to try again
Fail: **** froze the game.

Number 3 is easier to avoid.

anyway, it was fun but i really should be heading off to sleep now.
Night night

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Awww, SL likes me, lol

Oh, check your usergroups.
That example you gave was camping, yeah, and odds are if it were up to me I'd probably give you two a one minute warning to think of something.

After that minute's up and nothing's changed, then I'd declare both of you to be stalling, politely inform you that there are no refunds and that while you're welcome to watch other people's matches, neither of you are in the tournament anymore.

If he started trying to approach, and let's say that hypothetically speaking Marth can't actually do anything whatsoever about this so of course he's failing miserably, I'd say you were stalling and <see above>. In the reality that is Melee, though, I'd let it slide because the odds are really in favor of it being a beatable strategy.

If both of you went on to do something else entirely then I'd let it slide until the next incident.

And, of course, all of this is subjective.
Ok, so you've said the magic words, PLAYING DEFENSIVELY would be a DQ'able offense at your tournament.

If that wasn't explicitly in your rules, then people would probably jump you when you left, if that was, it would effect your attendance... to the point where nobody would come.

What do you mean "think of something?", nobody was using any form of hardcore stalling tactic here, it was just, we were playing the game normally, but we were waiting for our opponent to leave openings, there was a consistent pace of damage and stock loss, it was just slow enough that the match got called on time. Simple defensive play.

The incentive is that if he isn't approaching, he loses. In a game with the timer, it's because he's behind and the game automatically goes to the person in the lead when time's up. In a game without the timer, it's because I said so. And I only say so if I believe he's stalling.
And what incentive is that? Since both players are in essentially the same position, if they're both DQ'd it's an even outcome for both of, especially considering that in a number of MUs, being forced to approach is bad enough to nearly be an auto-loss. Add that to the possibility that just your opponent will get DQ'd, and well, you've got yourself a reason to camp.

With timer, there's a clear person who's ahead at all times, and a clear person who's behind. There's a reason fighting games do it this way and have been doing so since forever.

Of course infinite stalls break this, which is why they are considered "instantly ban-worthy glitches".

I really don't understand this. It almost sounds like you're saying that a no stalling rule shouldn't be enforced because then people will be too afraid to try new things. If that's really what you're saying, then why even have the rule in the first place?
No... what I'm saying is you should read the wording, it's basically lifted line by line from Playing to Win's "Immediately Ban-worthy Glitches". It's neither worded, nor intended to deal with all possible forms of running the clock, only the forms that are literally unstoppable.

who's to say the majority of the BR would agree with this method?
Well, I'll answer from a personal level.

Nlo.

The Brigand

Smash Cadet
Ok, so you've said the magic words, PLAYING DEFENSIVELY would be a DQ'able offense at your tournament.
No, it isn't. I'm going to go over this again, just so we're clear. I don't care about any specific examples, this is an in general thing.

If I'm watching a match and I catch both players camping, then I'm going to announce my intent to them and keep my eyes on their match.

If neither player stops camping within the next minute, then it's clear to me that they're both actively avoiding approaching. That, to me, is stalling, and since in my ruleset stalling results in disqualification, I will tell them both that they've lost. To be very blunt, I don't care if it's a defensive strategy that one of the characters is incapable of dealing with. It's sink or swim if he wants to stay in the tournament and he chose to stay on the boat. Is that the right metaphor?

If one player stops camping, but it's clear to me that he can't actually approach his opponent at all in this situation and it's obviously showing in this match, then his opponent has ceased to camp, is now stalling, and by my rules that opponent has lost the match. I know that this means I have to be aware of how every character can handle that defensive option in order to keep this as fair as possible, and I'm fine with that.

If one player stops camping, and even though he's not doing well I know that his character really can handle this camping strategy, then it's fair game. If he stops the other player from camping, it's fair game. If it's the loser that's still camping, then all of the above still applies even though he was doing worse before they both started camping.

And yes, I would make it clear that this is how I rule on stalling. I would even include my definition of stalling in my rule list, so everyone's clear on what not to do. If they chose to ignore it then I'm not about to let it slide. And if nobody comes then I'm out however much it cost me to set up the tournament. I'm entirely willing to accept that.

What do you mean "think of something?"
Okay, fine, specific example: Sheik vs. Ganondorf. Sheik gets the lead, then starts chain camping. Ganondorf responds by bair baiting. To the best of my knowledge G-Man can't deal with the former, whereas the latter is actually very easy for Sheik to deal with. I declare the one minute rule.

When I say "think of something", to the Ganondorf in this situation I mean "Try to hit Sheik. Try to stop Sheik from chain camping. Even if you can't do anything about it, try." and if he does not try, then he loses. To the Sheik in this situation I mean "Try to hit Ganondorf. Try to stop Ganondorf from bair baiting. I know you can, so just do it already." and if he does not try, then he loses.

For a closer example, that M2K vs. gnes video. I would've likely DQ's M2K for the scrooging. However, if instead of approaching gnes simply ran to the other side of the stage every time the platform started moving, I would've DQ'd him, too. Even if MK's scrooging is beatable, even if it isn't, even if they proceed to rob me blind, they're both DQ'd.

The important part here is trying.

nobody was using any form of hardcore stalling tactic here, it was just, we were playing the game normally, but we were waiting for our opponent to leave openings, there was a consistent pace of damage and stock loss, it was just slow enough that the match got called on time. Simple defensive play.
This is a lot more complex than "he/I was turnip camping, and I/he was doing nothing", you know. I was referring to a scenario where the above sentence is true

And what incentive is that? Since both players are in essentially the same position, if they're both DQ'd it's an even outcome for both of, especially considering that in a number of MUs, being forced to approach is bad enough to nearly be an auto-loss. Add that to the possibility that just your opponent will get DQ'd, and well, you've got yourself a reason to camp.
I'm really not sure how you get from "if both players camp to the point where they're both stalling, then they both lose" to "if my opponent's going to lose for camping to the point that he's stalling, then I should camp too". Really, it's like we're having two different conversations here.

Of course infinite stalls break this, which is why they are considered "instantly ban-worthy glitches".
We agree on this! It's just that I feel that even beatable stalling should lead to disqualification, provided both players are doing it, and that you shouldn't need specific stalling technique rules when you have a "No Stalling" rule, since No Stalling should imply that specific stalling technique in the first place.

No... what I'm saying is you should read the wording, it's basically lifted line by line from Playing to Win's "Immediately Ban-worthy Glitches". It's neither worded, nor intended to deal with all possible forms of running the clock, only the forms that are literally unstoppable.
This only makes it more confusing, then. Okay, if I get this wrong again, I'm just going to drop it because I get the feeling it's not going to become any more clear. You are saying that I should not ban stalling (or I should not be strict on my stalling ban) because there's always the chance that the stalling I'm seeing is actually beatable, even though I feel that even beatable stalling is bannable? Or that I should not ban stalling when I can ban stalling techniques that are unbeatable instead?

'cause I severely disagree with the former, and politely disagree with the latter.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
i tried to make a tactic to get you people to realize how stupid this game is and quit

instead you just ban my tactic

****IN LAME

NNID
Budget_Player
I can't say I've ever seen someone grab the ledge 30 times without planking to some extent. And his unbeatable planking would go over the limit really fast. He'd have to burn like 6 minutes off the clock with pure camping without ever grabbing the ledge, then start planking. Why does everyone assume a global LGL? An MK specific one would work great. Sure MKs can still run out the timer with a 20-25 LGL, but they can't really plank.

Camping MK doesn't really seem broken to me.

I think 20-25 is a good number. It won't happen in a normal match without planking, and it restricts it pretty well.
I want to be able to play ganon against sheik. Ban sideB.

But they don't have an understanding of the community, while I do see the merit, I think a fair way in house is better.
If it was possible to have an in-house understanding, wouldn't we have it already? MK has been proven to be potentially and practically broken. He breaks the system. And yet, there are biased idiots who refuse to agree for whatever reason and will not agree even if we have rules against it. I figure MLG's decision will effect it. There is no good in-house way at this point; we have to pull in an unbiased outsider. Or an unbiased insider. But find me an unbiased insider who is willing to stop sitting on the fence ledge.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I really really really really really wish you people would realize what a stupid idea ledge grab limits is. I was all for it.....way back when it was introduced. I now realize that it is completely worthless.

Can you imagine having to count your own/your opponent's ledgegrabs during a match? Counting ledgegrabs is not at all what Smash is supposed to be about.
I've personally waited in a bush for about an hour, JUST TO TRAIN MY PATIENCE.
ಠ_ಠ

Too much work? There has been so much effort put into (pretty successfully) proving that MK is overpowered with or without limits. It looks to me that rather than pro-ban desperately trying to find reasons to ban him, we instead have anti-ban desperately trying to find reason to keep him in.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
So basically, what you've just expressed to us is that you're going to ignore the basic premise of the nature of 90% of fighting games, which is to hit the opponent without getting hit yourself.

You've also said that you intend to personally police every incident of this happening at any of your tournaments.

You've admitted this is subjective and pretty extreme.

You're an idiot. Sorry, but that's about the only way this can be explained. Even in a perfect world, this is practically impossible.

NNID
Budget_Player
So let's put it this way:
-Ledge grab limits are obviously a bad, anti-competitive idea
-With LGLs, MK is potentially broken and overcentralizing and therefore potentially anti-competitive.
-With LGLs, MK is at the level of Ivan Ooze and Akuma and therefore an instant ban victim.

What's anti-ban's argument again? "I main Metaknight, don't ban him because I want to keep winning"?

OfTheEarth

Smash Journeyman
-With LGLs, MK is potentially broken and overcentralizing and therefore potentially anti-competitive.
-With LGLs, MK is at the level of Ivan Ooze and Akuma and therefore an instant ban victim.

What's anti-ban's argument again? "I main Metaknight, don't ban him because I want to keep winning"?
so true,
and that's the thing
is that when the SBR had a poll
about whether to ban metaknight or not

i can't believe that it was NON ban
that means that more than HALF of the brawl community plays metaknight

but another idea...kinda gay but
what about if the TO assigns judges or something? like to just watch and judge to see if they are planking or not?

could be a gay idea
don't flame me if it is >_<

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I really really really really really wish you people would realize what a stupid idea ledge grab limits is. I was all for it.....way back when it was introduced. I now realize that it is completely worthless.
Eh... that's yet to be found out. If Pit/G&W have variants of planking that also leads them to be invulnerable for, practically, the entire motions, then the rule is still justified for use. Right now however it's just unnecessary when only one character is causing the commotion.

To put in perspective in why putting restrictions on characters is a bad thing: Lets put this theorycrafting into reality. The current notions are:

1. Ledge Grab Limit (MK only)
2. Aerial Distance Limit (MK only)

Metaknight planks. LGL is 25 or 30. MK "scrooges" to enhance his planking time, and also air camps and D-air camps to not make it "obvious" and not fall under the criteria of breaking a rule. Game ends. At this point, three, actually four things can happen.

1. Metaknight falls under the criteria of being DQ'd and loses.
2. Metaknight does not, either back by a few points and wins.
3. The results screen is bypassed due to the haste of the players, and thus cannot be checked. This is where graphic calculators are pulled out and replays are used!
4. Metaknight falls under the Aerial Distance Limit, but the player disputes that he was jumping alot in the game for D-air camping and vertical spacing (Aerial distance accounts for any movement while aerial).

This is where it becomes a bad idea. If a rule is not quick, discrete, and easily enforceable it becomes a hassle. The #1 problem that Brawl tournies bring is time. They're the longest-running tournaments due to how defensive the game is. If more of that time is spent checking replays and calculating distances, then tournaments would never end. It's the same reason why we have time limits so matches can and will end no matter what the case. Above that, a winner is clearly known outside of technicalities (mostly coming from LGLs).

Players in Brawl seem to forget that timing out opponents is a perfectly legit tactic that cannot be limited just because it's "gay". It's only when you make the game unplayable (infinites, stall methods like homing stall or IDC) that it becomes a problem. It should also be mentioned that Ledge-camping is legit as well. All players have the ability to use it, just that Metaknight takes it to a whole new level and thus it's called planking.

People also have to remember that planking isn't the only attribute that makes Metaknight leagues beyond other characters. It makes me wonder if Ganondorf was the one that had invincible planking, would people care? Ideally, yes. Realistically, no. People would say that invincible planking is the only thing Ganondorf has to make him tournament viable.

To stop myself from rambling, I'll conclude. Putting limits on legitimate tactics on only Metaknight which involves subjective numbers that isn't clear, discrete, and quick is unrealistic and, of course, scrubby. You're only essentially just making Metaknight hard to play, which is completely different than limiting the character via banworthy glitches.

NNID
Budget_Player
so true,
and that's the thing
is that when the SBR had a poll
about whether to ban metaknight or not

i can't believe that it was NON ban
that means that more than HALF of the brawl community plays metaknight

but another idea...kinda gay but
what about if the TO assigns judges or something? like to just watch and judge to see if they are planking or not?

could be a gay idea
don't flame me if it is >_<
It was actually, each time, about 55% pro-ban, 45% anti-ban. So what this means: the community wants MK gone. >.>

Assigning a judge to each match is a funny thought, it really is... Subjective rulings, stupid number of people necessary, etc.

EDIT: @HeroMystic: GREAT POST.

That reminds me....

me said:
Hey, not just the LGL. If we're going to be surgically limiting MK, let's implement the "**** you MK stage rule", as I like to call it as well-MK's opponent gets to choose whatever stage they want on all matches against MK. Like, game one, MK vs. Snake. Snake chooses Shadow Moses Island. Game two, MK vs. Falco. Falco chooses Eldin. Game 3, MK vs. Sonic (or fox). Sonic chooses Temple Hyrule.

This way, there's no way in hell he'd be banned! I mean, look at all the bad/potentially bad matchups! Falco, Snake, ICs, possibly wario, maybe Marth, Sonic, maybe Ness, potentially bowser (**** yeah bowser vs. MK on shadow moses XD) basically anyone that gets gayed out by MK gimping them, anyone who wins on extreme stages, and anyone who gets ***** on MK's CPs.

It would be the following:
-about as surgical as a LGL for MK only
-far more functional as far as stopping planking by MK
-would fix the whole "MK breaks the counterpick system" argument
-far more balancing

We could even weaken it to "MK still gets his counterpick and a stage ban, but the counterpick is limited to neutrals)

Hell, we wouldn't even need the LGL with this rule! Everyone just picks a stage against MK with no ledges!

Lenus Altair

Smash Ace
^^*sigh* I love smashs boards general immaturity at the use of the word gay.

*edit the above was directed at Adrock

Thats a lot of extra work all just to keep one character in the game. Plus, the idea behind a video game is that the computer is supposed to be the "judge". The fact that its being suggested that we would need constant watching for subjective rulings on what's stalling just shows how much MK warps this game.

OfTheEarth

Smash Journeyman
It was actually, each time, about 55% pro-ban, 45% anti-ban. So what this means: the community wants MK gone. >.>

Assigning a judge to each match is a funny thought, it really is... Subjective rulings, stupid number of people necessary, etc.
yeah :(
sorry :((

then how come he wasn't banned then? is the sbr not listening to us?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
No, it isn't. I'm going to go over this again, just so we're clear. I don't care about any specific examples, this is an in general thing.

If I'm watching a match and I catch both players camping, then I'm going to announce my intent to them and keep my eyes on their match.
So not even CAMPING is acceptable, dear god man.

Such a rule completely guts the game, making it uninteresting to play, because you're basically telling everyone to jump into the ****.

If neither player stops camping within the next minute, then it's clear to me that they're both actively avoiding approaching. That, to me, is stalling, and since in my ruleset stalling results in disqualification, I will tell them both that they've lost. To be very blunt, I don't care if it's a defensive strategy that one of the characters is incapable of dealing with. It's sink or swim if he wants to stay in the tournament and he chose to stay on the boat. Is that the right metaphor?

If one player stops camping, but it's clear to me that he can't actually approach his opponent at all in this situation and it's obviously showing in this match, then his opponent has ceased to camp, is now stalling, and by my rules that opponent has lost the match. I know that this means I have to be aware of how every character can handle that defensive option in order to keep this as fair as possible, and I'm fine with that.

If one player stops camping, and even though he's not doing well I know that his character really can handle this camping strategy, then it's fair game. If he stops the other player from camping, it's fair game. If it's the loser that's still camping, then all of the above still applies even though he was doing worse before they both started camping.

And yes, I would make it clear that this is how I rule on stalling. I would even include my definition of stalling in my rule list, so everyone's clear on what not to do. If they chose to ignore it then I'm not about to let it slide. And if nobody comes then I'm out however much it cost me to set up the tournament. I'm entirely willing to accept that.
Subjective as hell, guts the metagame, AND requires constant TO supervision? Timer accomplishes the same thing in a non-subjective way without completely gutting the metagame and requiring minimal supervision by TOs, all it requires is that techniques that are capable of infinite stalling be specifically banned.

Your ruleset contains absolutely EVERYTHING we wanna avoid in rules, it's extremely intrusive, extremely subjective and requires constant supervision.

Okay, fine, specific example: Sheik vs. Ganondorf. Sheik gets the lead, then starts chain camping. Ganondorf responds by bair baiting. To the best of my knowledge G-Man can't deal with the former, whereas the latter is actually very easy for Sheik to deal with. I declare the one minute rule.

When I say "think of something", to the Ganondorf in this situation I mean "Try to hit Sheik. Try to stop Sheik from chain camping. Even if you can't do anything about it, try." and if he does not try, then he loses. To the Sheik in this situation I mean "Try to hit Ganondorf. Try to stop Ganondorf from bair baiting. I know you can, so just do it already." and if he does not try, then he loses.

For a closer example, that M2K vs. gnes video. I would've likely DQ's M2K for the scrooging. However, if instead of approaching gnes simply ran to the other side of the stage every time the platform started moving, I would've DQ'd him, too. Even if MK's scrooging is beatable, even if it isn't, even if they proceed to rob me blind, they're both DQ'd.

The important part here is trying.

So... you would expect him to do stuff that you know is futile? The major problem with that is often you'll lose your stock first and die.

This is a lot more complex than "he/I was turnip camping, and I/he was doing nothing", you know. I was referring to a scenario where the above sentence is true
No it isn't, turnip camping CREATES openings, at the same time, he was trying to get me to do it in a punishable way. That's what two people camping each other IS generally, it's a push and pull, which is why it makes the metagame interesting.

It's stuff like this that tells me you really don't understand the smash metagame, or really fighting games in general.

I'm really not sure how you get from "if both players camp to the point where they're both stalling, then they both lose" to "if my opponent's going to lose for camping to the point that he's stalling, then I should camp too". Really, it's like we're having two different conversations here.
You blindly approach a camping opponent, you lose period.

We agree on this! It's just that I feel that even beatable stalling should lead to disqualification, provided both players are doing it, and that you shouldn't need specific stalling technique rules when you have a "No Stalling" rule, since No Stalling should imply that specific stalling technique in the first place.
No, it shouldn't pay careful attention to the wording, stalling has a very specific meaning in SBR rules. There is no implication.

This only makes it more confusing, then. Okay, if I get this wrong again, I'm just going to drop it because I get the feeling it's not going to become any more clear. You are saying that I should not ban stalling (or I should not be strict on my stalling ban) because there's always the chance that the stalling I'm seeing is actually beatable, even though I feel that even beatable stalling is bannable? Or that I should not ban stalling when I can ban stalling techniques that are unbeatable instead?

'cause I severely disagree with the former, and politely disagree with the latter.
The specific rule "Stalling is banned" as defined in the SBR ruleset is neither discrete or enforcable, instead it amounts to a statement of intent to ban unbeatable stalling. So what you should do is specifically ban unbeatable stalling.

I'm sorry, but in summery, your ruleset has massive issues with subjectivity and enforceability, and even if those were dealt with, it would make the game incredibly shallow, all to eliminate timers. Timers solve the issue without resorting to this, why not just stick with them and ban infinite stalls?

The alternative is a shallow uninteresting metagame, and I don't wanna see that happening.

Can you imagine having to count your own/your opponent's ledgegrabs during a match? Counting ledgegrabs is not at all what Smash is supposed to be about.
Smash is about... whatever skills the game imposes in the process of winning.

What can I say, patience is useful. Regardless, if I can wait in a bush for that long, I'm sure I can play a video game.

So basically, what you've just expressed to us is that you're going to ignore the basic premise of the nature of 90% of fighting games, which is to hit the opponent without getting hit yourself.

You've also said that you intend to personally police every incident of this happening at any of your tournaments.

You've admitted this is subjective and pretty extreme.

You're an idiot. Sorry, but that's about the only way this can be explained. Even in a perfect world, this is practically impossible.
Be nice man, there are much better ways to say it.

Banning planking isn't necessarily anti-competitive, it's certainly a ban-worthy technique, the issue is more methodology.

If it was possible to have an in-house understanding, wouldn't we have it already? MK has been proven to be potentially and practically broken. He breaks the system. And yet, there are biased idiots who refuse to agree for whatever reason and will not agree even if we have rules against it. I figure MLG's decision will effect it. There is no good in-house way at this point; we have to pull in an unbiased outsider. Or an unbiased insider. But find me an unbiased insider who is willing to stop sitting on the fence ledge.
I suggested a method of dealing with this that is fair to everyone. But at this point the real issue is that it's reached critical mass for a showdown.

They required a super majority (66%).
Something this large and NOT requiring a super-majority? That would be a bad idea.

OfTheEarth

Smash Journeyman
So not even CAMPING is acceptable, dear god man.

Such a rule completely guts the game, making it uninteresting to play, because you're basically telling everyone to jump into the ****.

Subjective as hell, guts the metagame, AND requires constant TO supervision? Timer accomplishes the same thing in a non-subjective way without completely gutting the metagame and requiring minimal supervision by TOs, all it requires is that techniques that are capable of infinite stalling be specifically banned.

Your ruleset contains absolutely EVERYTHING we wanna avoid in rules, it's extremely intrusive, extremely subjective and requires constant supervision.

So... you would expect him to do stuff that you know is futile? The major problem with that is often you'll lose your stock first and die.

No it isn't, turnip camping CREATES openings, at the same time, he was trying to get me to do it in a punishable way. That's what two people camping each other IS generally, it's a push and pull, which is why it makes the metagame interesting.

It's stuff like this that tells me you really don't understand the smash metagame, or really fighting games in general.

You blindly approach a camping opponent, you lose period.

No, it shouldn't pay careful attention to the wording, stalling has a very specific meaning in SBR rules. There is no implication.

The specific rule "Stalling is banned" as defined in the SBR ruleset is neither discrete or enforcable, instead it amounts to a statement of intent to ban unbeatable stalling. So what you should do is specifically ban unbeatable stalling.

I'm sorry, but in summery, your ruleset has massive issues with subjectivity and enforceability, and even if those were dealt with, it would make the game incredibly shallow, all to eliminate timers. Timers solve the issue without resorting to this, why not just stick with them and ban infinite stalls?

The alternative is a shallow uninteresting metagame, and I don't wanna see that happening.

Smash is about... whatever skills the game imposes in the process of winning.

What can I say, patience is useful. Regardless, if I can wait in a bush for that long, I'm sure I can play a video game.

Be nice man, there are much better ways to say it.

Banning planking isn't necessarily anti-competitive, it's certainly a ban-worthy technique, the issue is more methodology.

I suggested a method of dealing with this that is fair to everyone. But at this point the real issue is that it's reached critical mass for a showdown.

Something this large and NOT requiring a super-majority? That would be a bad idea.
hey just so i don't look like an idiot in front of you

where do you stand on this whole MK issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom