• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic rFAQ! New to Sonic? Have a quick question? Ask it here!

Tenki

Smash Hero
well that would make sense, cuz it never happpen before. lol wow it was simply the case of me getting slower lol. thanx infzy and tenki. Quick question; i was rummaging thru old threads and i was wondering Tenki if you ever made a video displaying your spring "L-cancel" combos. i would love to see that epicness, i dont care if its situational. Also im trying to get that ledge cancel spring autoledge grab to work. Any suggestions?

I don't make videos.

lolololol

but anyway, spring-cancelled combos or aerial>D-air on spring .. > DJ attack are pretty rare to be set up, and because of that, noone's really absolutely sure about how useful they are.

it's just one of those things that kind of randomly happen when you feel it - unless you really wanna just throw it into friendlies to see if you can find something that's somewhat consistent.

kind of like the ledge spring autograb except that really seems to randomly happen :laugh:

Tenki

Smash Hero
but it usually happened when I was otherwise too low to autograb.

but i'll go with you and give my memory a doubt lol.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
i remember this being discussed a long time ago though. we were all like "omg upB spring auto edge grab?"

i could never do it, and no one could consistently do it, plus we never caught footage of it so...it may have never even happened, lol

:093:

Browny

Smash Hater
you can auto ledgegrab from snake cypher if you use it really close to the edge, and his up has similar properties to Sonics.... pretty much no point trying to do that with Sonic though :/

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Question about the use of Sonic's forward throw. Since it has less kb then Up throw, wouldn't it be a good option at the higher percentages if you just want to juggle with uairs? It's Sonic's fastest throw and puts Sonic is a good position against characters with slow fairs (DK). Thoughts?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
it gives them too much room and time to counter or simply airdodge your followups.

afaic, the only decent use for f throw is when they try to DI the up throw and it sets them up perfectly for a spring up air (a.k.a. KID combo)

for the purpose that you are talking about i like down and back throw better, which ever puts them closer to the edge (or farther from it depending on the character youre fighting.)

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Having trouble w/ ZSS, TL n Snake

Although I practice w/ the Snake all the time so I'm prob havin issue's only cuz we both kno each others playin style

But N E WAYZ

The TL n Snake both use projectiles like theres no tomorrow

So it's an obsticle course to get to them. Mindgames become pointless cuz they can just throw ish @ me. Any ideas?

ZSS n I play lik
e once every 2 months. 2 months ago i was the only thing I lost in in that tourney. :-/ Any advice???

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
lol K.I.D combo; hasnt everyone done that? I have some quick questions, i wanted to verify where and how long are the invincibility frames in Spin Dash? Also do any of you have a way you personally like to gimp falcos? Ive been using different things here and there I just wanted to get some input from the boards. im trying to better my gimping game vs diddy, falco and snake. Lastly, what do you believe are good scenarios to utilize first hit FF uair> spring> aerial?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
lol K.I.D combo; hasnt everyone done that? I have some quick questions, i wanted to verify where and how long are the invincibility frames in Spin Dash? Also do any of you have a way you personally like to gimp falcos? Ive been using different things here and there I just wanted to get some input from the boards. im trying to better my gimping game vs diddy, falco and snake. Lastly, what do you believe are good scenarios to utilize first hit FF uair> spring> aerial?
You have 4 frames of invincibility after you release your Spindash.

As for gimping Falco.

I don't even try.

I just try to time my Sawnik Pawnch and hit them out of any Phantasm that doesn't aim for the ledge.

@ ViCT -

About those offensive approaches in ball forms.

Oh boy, let me edit this post, otherwise you're only going to get held up.

*Ahem*.

Using Spnidash mix-ups is quite broad to say the least. You're probably already well-aware of the misc things like -

How VSDJ goes higher than Sonic's normal fulljump.

(As stated above) Spindash after release has 4 frames of invincibility, etcetera.

Besides that, as long as you have you're second jump, you should be able to abort if something comes up. If I happen to Spindash right on-top of my opponents, I sometimes like to Spring either immediately or very soon after the Spindash hop hits (assuming they were on-top of me when I did this). Opponents expect you to roll away and either come back to hit you with a direct SDR or hop away as to avoid any immediate threats. If they shielded the hop, they'll probably drop their shield and will be caught by surprise by the near instant "boing!" The same thing can be done once you go into a normal/Vertical Spindash Jump.

CiTH combo - It works as a mix-up. I like to see how my opponents react if I Spinshot on-top of them, Spring above them, and Dair to follow pursuit or to try and make a quicker get-away than just freefalling back to the ground.

ASC is deserving of a post entirely different and dedicated to itself. I just like to use it for Olimar because it gets that angle that he can cover reliably (unless he has a stupid freaking Yellow Pikmin in which case he can USmash away. I don't know how Purple Pikmin affect it either), but I see it better than most other approaches (d****t).

You'll have to find what works best for you and the opponent your fighting, these are just some ideas to give you. The more I look at Sonic's Downn/Side-B, the more unique I find them to be, and I wouldn't trade them for any other Side/Down-B in this game. Seriously.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
yeah CiTH combo or simply Spindash during a Spinshot curtails sonics movement enabling u to read the opponent. Personally ASC and ff bairs own olis in my opinion. yeah down-B/side-B is freakin awesome. Seriously those 2 moves (well actually one move) has so many forms it gives sonic probably the largest moveset in the game. And then you have cancels? too good. Plus movement options are incredibly accented by sonics speed. DDP, screech stop, doop walk, foxtrot with sonic is wayy too good. I think someone should make a crossup guide for sonic, i think that would be really nice. Sawniks cross-ups are too nice. running thru snake's ftilt? too good. Thanks for the info on the invincibility, cuz ive been using it for awhile now, but i want to abuse that thing to hell. I think ppl need to abuse it more. its deadly in a cross up 2. gives good cross up> properly spaced spindash release if need be or cancel and punish.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Sounds like a brilliant idea. If theres anyway i can help please let me know. Im drippin A1 all day.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Its okay im going to med school; ill check myself out. Besides i dont need to be horny to be drippin A1; b**ch im steak. Any1 know a good way to gimp a diddy recovering high? whenever my friend gets low he does that rising up b of diddys ( the one where he gets that huge vertical momentum boost while charging) or he uses other methods of recovery. If he is low, obviously its a done deal. Any tips?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Do you wait for your friend too use side-B or a second jump?

I don't think Diddy has enough air-speed to come back to the stage without either, but I wouldn't quote me on that since no Diddy bothers to try and make it back the ledge without at least one method of recovery.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
no no no he uses rising up- b after while in hitstun; i believe thats the only way it is possible. I think ive figured out what i need to do however. You have to aerial spinshot>nair the moment u see this happening. If you do nair quick enough he'll get hit with the sourspot aka the greatest thing in sonic's gimping game sans the spring. Then you simply estimate the height of the diddy kong and distance from the stage. if youre close; follow his di and spring him accordingly, if your far you simply spring back to safety so you can land on stage and drop another spring as he attempts to auto ledgegrab with his barrels. Has anyone gotten really good at using HA to punish Nado spam? Ive gotten solid out of springing out but at times it does cost me even more damage due to my landing being camped. O and by the way i havent seen much ppl do it, but Fair ***** the second half of Meta's drill rush as does a up-tilted fsmash for some unknown reason lol.

Also what moves hit falco out of phantasm?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
all you have to do to beat the rising up b is understand the concept, once, you know what hes doing, its simple to intercept him, with any hitbox.

MKs only do drill to get to the edge, in a position where it isnt really gimpable.

f smash, up smash, down smash, dair, bair, nair, and i think fair, all beat falcos side b, but you have ot time it right, otherwise it will just clank and falco will go right through you with nobody taking damage. Because of this, I like up smash the best for killing the phantasm because you can charge it, and it has a long lasting hitbox, both of which are good for when the falco tries to vary up the timing of his recovery

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
actually i disagree with the issue of meta's drill recovery. most of them are going to use if they have few jumps u reverse fair of the stage it has a chance to stage spike or at the leat get you damage. Hes only really vulnerable at end of the drill which would be about the time hes about to hit the ledge. Why not get free damage? I heard that falco travels between 3 points during his phantasm, i guess the best thing to do would be to know those points. All i know is fair seemingly ***** falco when it catches falco from his phantasm. Usually in that scenario the ending hit doesnt connect which sends falco plummeting down, having to rely on his failure of a recovery.

Cosmick

Smash Apprentice
Hey, Sonic boards. I'm new to Sonic, and, I'm planning on becoming a regular here.

I've been using Sonic for about 2 weeks or so, and I just have a few questions..

First of all, I think one of the things holding me back is using the Spring to escape "combos" from other characters. What else could I use?

Umby

Smash Master
Hey, Sonic boards. I'm new to Sonic, and, I'm planning on becoming a regular here.

I've been using Sonic for about 2 weeks or so, and I just have a few questions..

First of all, I think one of the things holding me back is using the Spring to escape "combos" from other characters. What else could I use?
You could use DI, or SDI specifically for multi-hit moves (Falco's jab combo, etc). If you can't counter attack the next hit after that, there's nothing wrong with resorting to Spring.

I'm mad you have Brawl/Lucky Star cross overs in your sig, btw.

Do you guys think it's possible to force a slow roll out of SDR without a steep hill? I mentioned it last night on Xat how I would love it if you could shield/grab/shield grab out of an SDR, and the only way possible as we know at the moment is out of a slow rolling SDR. I also noticed that using Spin Charge with the lowest possible charge lets SDR roll slow enough to shield cancel at the end of the SDR, so maybe forcing it is possible? Maybe we could do it out of a low charge ASC for timing purposes.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
when you double and triple hit with ASC, if you arent at max charge, it can cause a slow roll on flat stages, but that seems like it would only be usable in doubles.

at the new sonic guy, you can also jump airdodge and attack out of hitstun to escape certain comboes and strings. using spring too much leads to you getting land camped

Cosmick

Smash Apprentice
You could use DI, or SDI specifically for multi-hit moves (Falco's jab combo, etc). If you can't counter attack the next hit after that, there's nothing wrong with resorting to Spring.

I'm mad you have Brawl/Lucky Star cross overs in your sig, btw.

Do you guys think it's possible to force a slow roll out of SDR without a steep hill? I mentioned it last night on Xat how I would love it if you could shield/grab/shield grab out of an SDR, and the only way possible as we know at the moment is out of a slow rolling SDR. I also noticed that using Spin Charge with the lowest possible charge lets SDR roll slow enough to shield cancel at the end of the SDR, so maybe forcing it is possible? Maybe we could do it out of a low charge ASC for timing purposes.
Thanks, I just think I resort to spring too often though.

And yeah, it's my crew sig. Stupid AiB cuts off the names of the people it though. (The Roy with the name Sky under him is my character. Sky's just my Brawl Tag.)

And, I've never shield canceled out of an SDR, it sounds like it'd be epicly useful though. (Nubish contributation.)

And, I've heard of this Boxobair thing, but how exactly is it done? I'm being serious here, so don't flame me. :<

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
well.

boxob and i discussed irl that a boxobair is when a bair sends you perfectly horizontal. let's see if he has more to add, lol

Boxob.

Smash Lord
Boxobair isn't a real technique; it's a mindset, an abstract concept, and the only thing that matters in reality.

I originally said that a Boxobair is a bair out of spinshot/any bair that killed in an unnecessarily flashy way.

Eventually, it kinda caught on between like the first maybe 15 regulars of this board. The only reason it caught on was because one them, Lucky, was the only one who could post videos and play with a ridiculous amount of people. We all thought he was way out of our league lol. Then I hooked up wifi and kicked his *** mondo hard (much love lol).

Then the boards got really spammy and boxobair became a constant reference. So it just stuck.

So now, people like you come in and ask what a boxobair is and how do you do it.

The end.

Boxob.

Smash Lord
Edit without editing post for the soul purpose of obtaining another addition to my post count in a manner that I forknowinly acknowledge is not tolerated under the Terms and Agreements of this webstie in hopes of agitating and angering Chis: Also, what cam said.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I always thought a Boxobair was just hitting with Bairs over and over, as in where it got to the point of decay that it could combo in onto itself, and fulfill other tasks besides damage-racking with the full fresh 13% a normal Bair would do, or if the opponent was at a high enough %, kill.

The funny thing is it works.

Then again, Bair is awesome in almost anyway you can imagine, so I guess a Boxobair is whatever you want it to be, as long as it's not "gay."

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
wow, can someone finding me the gif of the man sternly clapping his hands, cus that is what I am doing at boxobs 2 post.

That..

Was.

Amazing.

Cosmick

Smash Apprentice
That cleared a lot of things up.

I asked Kirin what it was the other day on Skype, he said it was just a bair that sent you horizontally.

So, naturally, I go off and try to find out how to do it, and waste a few minutes of my life before getting bored and picking MK.

Roxas1988

Smash Journeyman
OO Sonic. My life would be so different without you. His game has so much potential. I use threads like these as a guide. I will bring Sonic to S tier level soon enough. Quick question though,......when using the side B spin dash you can't auto cancel can you. I know you can after he starts moving backwards. But after that what then?

Umby

Smash Master
OO Sonic. My life would be so different without you. His game has so much potential. I use threads like these as a guide. I will bring Sonic to S tier level soon enough. Quick question though,......when using the side B spin dash you can't auto cancel can you. I know you can after he starts moving backwards. But after that what then?

Autocanceling =/= Shield Canceling.

If you're talking about canceling the charge of Spin Dash, you can press shield to cancel it at anytime before you fully "pull back".

Roxas1988

Smash Journeyman

Autocanceling =/= Shield Canceling.

If you're talking about canceling the charge of Spin Dash, you can press shield to cancel it at anytime before you fully "pull back".
No i actually meant after you release the SD in the air you cant autoo cancel it. Its the SC that auto cancels. I know about holding shield when he is moving backwards and cancelling that. When you use SIde B in the air you can't auto cancel till you hit the floor is what i meant to say.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
you cant do that at all. he shield cancels just as umby stated; thats it. you can jump cancel if thats what ur talking about. there really is no auto cancelling.

Umby

Smash Master
No i actually meant after you release the SD in the air you cant autoo cancel it. Its the SC that auto cancels. I know about holding shield when he is moving backwards and cancelling that. When you use SIde B in the air you can't auto cancel till you hit the floor is what i meant to say.
When you Spin Dash in the air, hitting the ground puts you in SDR, which you can't cancel. However, if you land on a platform and SDR off of it, it puts you into an ASC, which you can then shield cancel once you hit the ground again.

Top Bottom