• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Sprite Critique Topic

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I think Artello needs some shading by where his tail comes onto his body. (But that's what snucas said I think) Hm, I can't find much else that's wrong with it except the tail might need to have a darker outline. That might just be me though.

Heres some old splices that I made, I fixed them up a little so your eyes don't bleed. (They were REALLY bad before I fixed them...)

Mudchik:

Marshken:

Swamblazi:

Latiquaza:

Don't feel like you have CnC all of them, I don't want someone to have to comment on 4 splices so they can post one. -.-

Overload

Smash Lord
Those are all pretty sick Naked, there might be something wrong but I wouldn't notice because I'm no good at critiquing as I have only made two sprites. I've decided this can be pretty fun, and I did something simpler this time, a request from a friend: Mew/Treeko, Meeko

ndayday

BRoomer
Thanks. =J

It's a good sprite overall, the only thing that bugs me is that the right arm (Meeko's right) needs to be reshaded a little bit. The outline is a bit thick, and there'sa big part of it that makes the arm cut off from the rest of the body. Just recolor it a bit to fix that.

But like you've been told before, make the background transparent. If you say what you use for spriting, someone could tell you how to make it transparent.

Overload

Smash Lord
Made some changes to Meeko

also a recolor(I originally saved it as a jpg accidentally. . .)

ndayday

BRoomer
Good, but I hope you don't mind me being really specific here. The tail is a nice inclusion, but it just looks like a little nub at the bottom, with 2 pixels above it, and then the top. Oh, and the left of the sprite has a small open area where you should put some dirt in. =P

And Overload, that's a really bad quality recolor. =( You can tell you saved it as a JPG, among other things. Have you taken a tutorial on spriting yet? If not this one here is really good...It's how I learned almost all I know.

Tutorial

Which leads me to ask, does anyone have a guide to scratch-spriting? If not, any tips or anything like that would be nice.

M.K

Level 55
Good, but I hope you don't mind me being really specific here. The tail is a nice inclusion, but it just looks like a little nub at the bottom, with 2 pixels above it, and then the top. Oh, and the left of the sprite has a small open area where you should put some dirt in. =P

And Overload, that's a really bad quality recolor. =( You can tell you saved it as a JPG, among other things. Have you taken a tutorial on spriting yet? If not this one here is really good...It's how I learned almost all I know.

Tutorial

Which leads me to ask, does anyone have a guide to scratch-spriting? If not, any tips or anything like that would be nice.
http://dragonflycave.com/recoloring.aspx

^That link has every single tutorial you will EVER need.
I hope it helps!!

ndayday

BRoomer
I know it does, that's why I gave it to Overload. =P

The scratch-sprite part of it doesn't really make sense to me, that's why I asked. Hm, I'll give it an other go later though, last time I looked at it was about 5 months ago.

Heres a splice I made when I first started spriting, it's really just slapped together...but what should I do to make it look more natural?

Deoxokeieily:
=P

M.K

Level 55
I know it does, that's why I gave it to Overload. =P

The scratch-sprite part of it doesn't really make sense to me, that's why I asked. Hm, I'll give it an other go later though, last time I looked at it was about 5 months ago.

Heres a splice I made when I first started spriting, it's really just slapped together...but what should I do to make it look more natural?

Deoxokeieily:
=P
The problem I have with these type of sprites is that it just doesn't look like....anything. It's just a mish-mash of many different Pokemon. I don't much care for sprites like these.
Try to pick a "base" Pokemon, incorporate "elements" of Pokemon 2, and (if applicable) "accessories" of Pokemon 3.

Overload

Smash Lord
No I haven't looked at any guides, just a short youtube video. I'll check those out.

A_man13

Smash Master
Nothing that hasn't been sugested before. If you want to encorperate the nose better, try putting the eye on it.

Overload

Smash Lord
Diglerpie doesn't seem like it really needs to be changed.
Tentaloon:

Drifcool:

ndayday

BRoomer
Whoah, those are MUCH better. You just have to work on not slapping parts on like the little cloud, you have to edit the surrounding area to fit the added part. See the little part on Tentaloon's head that is lighter, making it seem like light is on that part of the head? It looks awkward with the cloud right on top of it.

Drifcool is much better, but I think it would be better if you took of the cloud and incorparated Tentacool's red...umm things onto the head. Maybe you could also change the eyes? Other then that, it's good, the recoloring is good, and the tentacles fit. Pretty decent if you just began yesterday. =D

Overload

Smash Lord
Whoah, those are MUCH better. You just have to work on not slapping parts on like the little cloud, you have to edit the surrounding area to fit the added part. See the little part on Tentaloon's head that is lighter, making it seem like light is on that part of the head? It looks awkward with the cloud right on top of it.

Drifcool is much better, but I think it would be better if you took of the cloud and incorparated Tentacool's red...umm things onto the head. Maybe you could also change the eyes? Other then that, it's good, the recoloring is good, and the tentacles fit. Pretty decent if you just began yesterday. =D
Thanks, I'll make some changes to them.

EDIT:
I think I sort of fixed the problem on tentaloon

I am having trouble trying to add the red orbs from tentacool onto drifcool, and will probably just leave him as he is. I never really planned to make him but decided to throw him together quick while I had the sprites in paint. I don't care about him as much.
Chardoom:

I wanted to add the ribs or things on the arms and legs but it was too difficult
Houndeleon:

ndayday

BRoomer
You're getting better =D

I like Houndeleon, you did a great job recoloring it and the parts you added look good. It looks neat too.
And yes, you fixed the problem on Tentaloon.
The only problem with Chardoom is the little thing on his neck, try moving it to his stomach maybe?

Well today I stepped into the vast and dangerous world of scratch spriting =O Heres a psuedo-scratch sprite. It's not that great. -.-

Overload

Smash Lord
That's pretty cool sonofthesky, I like the choice of colors.

You're getting better =D

I like Houndeleon, you did a great job recoloring it and the parts you added look good. It looks neat too.
And yes, you fixed the problem on Tentaloon.
The only problem with Chardoom is the little thing on his neck, try moving it to his stomach maybe?

Well today I stepped into the vast and dangerous world of scratch spriting =O Heres a psuedo-scratch sprite. It's not that great. -.-

Pretty good for a scratch sprite. That stuff is pretty hard.

Zanbat:

(I'm NEVER working with Zangoose again, WAY too many shades of gray; took FOREVER)

Overload

Smash Lord
It is kind of hard to critique when you are just starting. what are beginners supposed to do? Not post their stuff?

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
are you kidding me?
read the OP
first off it says "leave your sigs off" read it....
second off it says "Critique before you receive critique"
and critiquing is as easy as saying....

1.I like it
2.it could use more of or less of...
Sigs have nothing to do with this.
Saying "I like it" just so you can get critiqued is a lying to the creator and isn't helping them.
Plus, most new people don't know what you should have more of or less of. That's the whole point of critiquing.

-:bowser:Bowser King

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

wah?

This is not the AE. Those rules don't exist hear.
Agreed.

I understand the effort to make it like the AE. However, this is not the AE. Signatures are likely supposed to be off there because you may end up posting sigs and then it gets confusing. Here, you can tell what are sprites and what are sigs (Even if someone has sprites in their sig, generally they have something else with it).
Signatures are not important, but there's no reason to make them off.

It is kind of hard to critique when you are just starting. what are beginners supposed to do? Not post their stuff?
Agreed again. Commenting is easy. Critiquing is not. Someone who's JUST starting out may not be able to note anything other than "I like it". There are certain things a newcomer can tell, like if it's a blob of colors that's supposed to be a Pokemon (not to say that that's the ONLY thing). But there are others a newcomer may not be able to notice.

Again, this is not the AE. In the AE, there's a lot more artwork getting posted and a lot more people there. Here, we're a generally small community, we're acquainted with each other, and unless we're all a bunch of jerks, which I don't think we are, we're going to critique when someone asks for us to. At LEAST leave that rule off unless it becomes a problem.

@sonofthesky - Obviously, it's just a recolor, but it's a great palette and it really fits Milotic well. The only thing that stands out to me a little bit is that the...ears or whatever are a little bit light and sort of clash with the rest of the sprite's dark colors. If you could darken the color, I think it'd improve the sprite, not that it's not great already.

@Overload - The palette works nicely with Zangoose, and although it is simple, if you were going for just adding the wings onto Zangoose it's fine. The only thing to note is that it looks like the right wing is a little higher than the left, and since they're at pretty much the same depth in the sprite, they should really be about the same height. Otherwise, good job.

A_man13

Smash Master
Snucas, I know you want it to be just like the critique topic (heck, sometimes the other way around as well), but sprites aren't the same as signatures.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
That's pretty cool sonofthesky, I like the choice of colors.

Pretty good for a scratch sprite. That stuff is pretty hard.

Zanbat:

(I'm NEVER working with Zangoose again, WAY too many shades of gray; took FOREVER)
the left wing is akward:ohwell:
hav you discovered the magic of the eraser?
1)get the color picking tool
2)LEFT click the color you want gone
3) RIGHT lick the color you want to put in
4) choose the eraser
5) RIGHT click and hold and just scrub it across the sprite and the color you wanted replaced will be replaced with the new one.

well just for fun, my REAL first sprite....................

really you need to TAKE from zangoose, not give

IC3R

Smash Lord
I'm not entirely sure how these work, but I have an idea for that Zangoose/Golbat hybrid:

Switch the wings?

ndayday

BRoomer
That wouldn't work because you never really want to flip parts. =P

The one on the right should just get lowered is all.

@zrky: Good job, but I think you should make it Zangoose colours.

Overload

Smash Lord
the left wing is akward:ohwell:
hav you discovered the magic of the eraser?
1)get the color picking tool
2)LEFT click the color you want gone
3) RIGHT lick the color you want to put in
4) choose the eraser
5) RIGHT click and hold and just scrub it across the sprite and the color you wanted replaced will be replaced with the new one.

well just for fun, my REAL first sprite....................

really you need to TAKE from zangoose, not give
Wow that eraser trick is amazing, that would've saved me so much frustration.

Does the left wing look any less akward here?

I'm just going to give up on trying to fix zanbat, I know he can be improved but I'm just going to move on and learn from my mistakes. Plus I have a hard time going back and editing sprites.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
That wouldn't work because you never really want to flip parts. =P
No, you mean you should never JUST flip them, or copy-flip. If you fix the shading, there's nothing wrong with flipping.

ndayday

BRoomer
That's what I meant, I figured people would know what I meant. (But then I re-read the post) =/

But yeah, if you flipped it, it wouldn't make much of a difference, would it? They look a lot a like anyway.

Top Bottom