• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
now that I think about it... doesn't Japan actually hate Metroid? no wonder it had so few reps...
Japan doesn't hate Metroid, but it's not unlike what SmashChu said. The original 3 Metroid titles did very well there, especially compared to North America. When Prime 1 and Fusion came out they just didn't care. On that note, Zelda still sells pretty well over there, but it's nowhere near as big as it is in the rest of the world.

WheelOfFish

Smash Journeyman
now that I think about it... doesn't Japan actually hate Metroid? no wonder it had so few reps...
That's not it. Who else COULD they put in, Ridley and Kraid? :laugh: There's not really anyone to add.

I think my opinion on excessively large characters is pretty clear, so I won't go on about it. But honestly, Master Hand has as good of a chance of getting on the roster.

As for graphics, I hope they keep taking it in a realistic direction. Sonic Unleashed graphics would be a downgrade from Brawl's.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Maybe we should break this conversation down more instead of being all over the place so we're not always talking about the same things all the time. Anyways, let's get people's thoughts on Dixie vs King K. Rool.

Personally, I'd go with K.Rool for several reasons:

1. Good Nintendo villians are hard to come by with Ridley being the only other prospect that has a reasonable chance of getting it.

2. Good heavy weight characters are also hard to come up with too.

3. I personally believe he has better moveset potential based on his multiple incarnations. (Kaptain K. Rool? Yes please!)

4. Diddy, in my opinion, fills up the role of "side kick" well enough. Basically, I don't like the idea of the DK franchise being repped by the hero, the side kick, and the female side kick. That just sounds odd to me.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Alright, now I'm outright asking: Can someone please comment on that moveset I posted? It's difficult to determine whether it's worthy of Smash Bros. (and if the character can thus get more points in eligibility) if no one comments.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
I think the fact that K.Rool appeared in Mario Baseball is a huge bonus. I think now he's being accepted into the Mario Spinoff crowd, which can only raise awareness and popularity for the character.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Character Moveset:

Tetra

The captain of a crew of pirates and an important character in The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (and sadly, just a plot device in Phantom Hourglass). A quick and witty fighter, she is the holder of the Triforce of Wisdom in this fork of the Zelda timeline. Little is known about her such as where did she come from, what did she want with the God's Pearls, and why doesn't she have her own game yet?

Sadly, fan-kind has yet to recognize her awesomeness to warrant her inclusion as a playable character, which is incidently the codename of this moveset (They also seem to fail to recognize the opportunity to recreate a battle between a ninja and a pirate, but that's besides the point). So without further ado...

Entrance: Appears in an upwards puff of grey cel-shaded smoke. (Read: not an explosion, like Toon Link's) Trademark wink, then pulls out a sword from her scabbard.

Note: Tetra’s sword is quite scimitar-esque, but it has a unique handle; it’s a rotatable ring within the hilt that allows her to spin it quite quickly yet stop it at any moment. It also attaches to her grappling hook, which she can then throw forward with a spinning blade of extreme multi-hitting on the hook. For the future, we’ll refer to this as the grapple-saw.

Run Speed: B+
Jumps: 2, B+
Weight: C
Drop Speed: B (higher grade = faster drop)
Crawling
Wall Jump

Taunt 1: Trademark wink + sound. You simply cannot beat that one.
Taunt 2: Gives that look that says "Is that all you've got?"
Taunt 3: Throws the Pirate Charm upward, catches it and puts it back in pocket.

Attacks:
A: Simple slash forward to the left.
AA: Left slash, then right slash.
AA, U-Tilt: Slash, slash, slices diagonally upwards. Tetra’s normal combo stops at AA, but can be continued with a U-Tilt…
AA, U-Tilt, F-Tilt: ….and a fourth move as well, where she throws the grapple-saw. This has good range, but is set back by the few moments it takes to set it up.
Dash-A: Deals a twin slash, first with a spin-slash, then a downwards strike. Jumps back afterwards.
Ledge-Attack: She's airborne as she pulls herself up, but she also throws a grappling hook outwards. this operates much like her side-B (see below)

Tilts:
F-Tilt: She flips back, dodging any incoming attacks. Upon landing, she throws the grapple-saw forward.
D-Tilt: In that general Legend of Zelda crawling animation, she stabs forward at the ground. This has little range, but can trip.
U-Tilt: She flips her sword upwards, so it spins in the air above her before landing back in hand. Good damage.

Aerials:
Nair: Does a double spin-slash, which has priority and damage. This can be performed quickly after her Up-B.
Fair: Appears to hold her hand back before swinging the grapple-saw upwards in an arc. This covers the region in front of her, and has poor landing lag.
Bair: Deals a quick strike behind her. This is a rather generic-working Bair; hits fast in order to do it multiple instances.
Dair: She throws the grappling hook (no sword) downwards. Anyone caught by it gets thrown skyward. So basically, it’s a Dair that juggles.
Uair: The grappling hook gets thrown upwards, pulling anyone struck by it down. So inversely, it’s a Uair that spikes.

Grabs:
Grab-Attack: Pummels with the hilt.
F-Throw: Throws the enemy forward before rushing and slashing quickly.
B-Throw: Loads the foe into cannon, points it behind her, then shoots.
D-Throw: Throws the foe to the ground while she jumps above. Performs an arc-slash that strikes anyone below.
U-Throw: Shoves the opponent into the catapult, then launches him forward. Pretty far range.

Smashes:
F-smash: Performs two quick wide slashes (left, right) before dealing the finishing spin-slash.
D-smash: Prepares to sweep the ground around her with her blade. Tilting up upon release will allow her to strike the area around her head instead.
U-smash: Charges up the cannon (which is unloaded), but facing the floor. On release, she points it upwards, blasting anyone hit by the gunpowder explosion from the barrel.

Specials:
B: Cannon. She pulls out a miniature cannon loaded with a cannonball, which she can then charge or fire immediately. There’s quite some end-up lag and Tetra will go into freefall if it’s used in air, so it isn’t spammable. Charging allows for more power, speed and range, but the attack will go off by itself upon max charge. The cannon can be titled quickly by up to, say, 75 degrees upwards and downwards. Cannonballs will explode upon impact of either the ground or any enemy character. Reflectors can bounce it.

Side-B: Grappling Hook. Pulls it out (a bit of lag here) the grappling hook and throws it forward. This special can also be charged so that it would reach forward. If it misses, there will be end lag proportionate to how far it went. (Read: you’re a sitting duck for a second or two.) If it hits, it will generally pull the opponent towards Tetra (not necessarily grab). But if the opponent is holding an item, the Grappling Hook will instead snatch the item and bring it back to Tetra for her to use. In such a case, you can also hold B when the hook comes back to instead keep swinging it above her head (item in tow) and to throw it forward very far and quickly upon release. This move can be used as a tether recovery.

Down-B: Parry. A sort of counter move, she moves into position so that it looks like she's charging her forward smash. This activates on a variety of instances: If an attack connects during this timeframe, she then leaps above the opponent (taking no damage or impact) and knocks the foe from behind, stunning the opponent. The stun time is generally small, but will be somewhat longer the stronger the activating attack was (i.e., PK Fire will get a counter-stun of about 1 second while Warlock Punch yields about 2.5 seconds.) If the opponent dodges behind her during this animation, she instead strikes behind her, dealing a good deal of damage (The damage dealt generally does not change). If the opponent attacks with a body-spin attack, (Mach Tornado, Olimar's U-Tilt, Whirling Fortress, R.O.B.'s D-smash) she hops on the foe and balances on the top with her sword's handle until the ride's over, wherein she hops off leaving the foe footstool jumped. Damage is dealt equal to half the amount that the spin-attack should be dealing.

Up-B: Catapult. The ship catapult pops out of nowhere; she hops on, then launches off. Flight distance is a bit less than the length of Battlefield. After pressing up-B, you can tilt the analog stick to adjust the direction. (i.e. tilting forward will result in a long hop while tilting backwards will be a high leap with little forward distance. Yoshi's Egg Toss is a good reference.) If it’s used in the air, the catapult will fall downwards ala Sonic's Up-B, hitting anyone in the way. Tetra can use her aerials and any other attacks a second later (As mentioned earlier, Nair can be used more quickly.)

Final Smash: Blades of Wisdom
On activation, (when time slows for everyone else) Tetra does a short sword flip (which by the way is glowing great golden) before dealing a powerful slash. This has the range of Luigi’s Up-B sweetspot, but insta-kills.

From the slash, three horizontal golden triangles (that are spinning very fast) shoot out. Anyone caught in one is pretty much stuck. The triangles have boomerang behavior; after shooting off, they’ll come back to Tetra, but instead whizz past her to do a round trip. Each triangle can deal 50% on their own to anyone who takes in every strike. After 6 round trips, the triangles will stop where they float (they’re still spinning) then return to Tetra’s sword. There’s no huge knockback in this last part, but any unlucky foes caught in the spinning will be brought to you, so you can charge a Smash to finish it.

Victory Pose 1: Crosses arms and does trademark wink. Ownage.
Victory Pose 2: Throws sword upwards, catches and gives a “too easy” expression
Victory Pose 3: Makes two feint slices and does a mock imitation of Link's sword sheath.
Defeat Pose: Just clapping her hands. No need to elaborate here.

---------------

Well, that's that. Hope people here like it.
wow, this is MYM worthy. it's much better than mine.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I believe the Donkey Kong franchise should have four character slots. Lets face it, the Donkey Kong Country trilogy is the pinnacle of the whole franchise. Adding Dixie Kong and King K. Rool would complete the Donkey Kong franchise just like how the Kirby franchise is complete with Kirby, Meta Knight, and King Dedede.

Donkey Kong - mascot & main protagonist of the whole franchise
Diddy Kong - one of two major recurring sidekicks of the whole franchise & main protagonist of DKC2
Dixie Kong - the other major recurring sidekick of the whole franchise & main protagonist of DKC3
King K. Rool - main antagonist of the whole franchise

Also, remember that Dixie Kong has been in more Mario spin-off games than King K. Rool. She was in Mario Hoops 3-on-3 and both Mario Baseball games. Just saying...

In that same vein, Mario should have five slots and it is clear that the original Super Mario Bros. trilogy are the roots of all the Mario RPG games, 3D Mario games, and Mario spin-off games. I believe the fifth slot should go to Toad for several reasons.

1. Four out of five original major recurring characters from the first Super Mario Bros. are playable in Smash - Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser. Toad is the fifth original major recurring character not yet playable in Smash.

2. Three out of four playable protagonists of Super Mario Bros. 2 are playable in Smash - Mario, Luigi, and Peach. Toad is the fourth playable protagonist not yet playable in Smash.

3. Seven out of eight original Mario Big Eight are playable in Smash - Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Wario, and Bowser. Toad is the last of the original Mario Big Eight not yet playable in Smash.

4. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, and Wario all have been playable in canonical Mario games and they are all playable in Smash. Toad is the only playable character in canonical Mario games not yet playable in Smash.

5. The fact that Toads are playable in New Super Mario Bros. Wii is a huge bonus. Perhaps this is Nintendo's way to raise awareness and popularity for Toad - kinda like how Nintendo pushed to raise awareness and popularity for Punch-Out!! and Legendary Starfy.

6. Toad is next in line on the Melee poll under the Mario category with 27 votes after Bowser (169), Peach (66), and Wario (65). Bowser and Peach were added in Melee. Wario was added in Brawl. There is indeed a pattern so it is very likely that Toad would get the fifth slot.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Seems that where the argument last left off was several pages ago, no? I guess the discussion moved on when I was gone. While I don't like leaving something in the middle, and can probably poke some more holes in Enzo's argument, I won't do so unless he wants me too, though I wouldn't take him for the person who wants to keep on arguing. Plus, I'm sure the other people in this thread don't particularly care for our arguing.

On a note that I know we both agree with, I think that Dixie Kong would be a better choice than K.Rool if there really was a need for a new Donkey Kong character. K.Rool's recent inclusion in the Mario spin off games doesn't really count for much in comparison to Dixie, who has shown up in many more games than that baseball one, and as Sakurai had a original idea for how her character could work, it seems like that would be a lot better choice than K.Rool who realy wouldn't play that differenty, even if he could change clothes. And on that subject, I have to remind you that in Japan, K.Rool isn't Kaptain K.Rool, and I'm almost certain the same goes for K.Roolinstein or whatever that third incarnation was. They are brothers too each other if I recall correctly. In addition, saying K.Rool should be in for the sake of being another villain is about as valid as saying that Dixie should be in for the sake of being a female.

n88

Smash Lord
Put movesets in MYM, not here. (Not a bad moveset, but this is the wrong place for it)

Are we back to Dixie vs. K. Rool?

Dixie is more likely, I would prefer K. Rool. If Dixie were to make it in, I would want her as a Down-B transformation for Diddy, as was originally intended.

UberMario

Smash Master
Can we stop talikg about DxK vs. KR already?

I think they have an equal chance of getting in OK? As of recently, each game that has had one has had the other.

What about an "Expert Mode" for Stage Builder?

Basically you make cubes, and then edit the positions for each of the corners. That way you could make exactly what you wanted. It would work kind of like a 3-D modeling program on a 2-D plane without making individual models.

Tacel

Smash Lord
What about an "Expert Mode" for Stage Builder?

Basically you make cubes, and then edit the positions for each of the corners. That way you could make exactly what you wanted. It would work kind of like a 3-D modeling program on a 2-D plane without making individual models.
If that happens, then I'll go to New York City and hug everybody on the streets.

I hope that happens.
That's one of the best ideas. No lie.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
The best argument as to Ridley's size is proportion. And we already know that characters are not necessarily proportionate to characters even in their own franchises. Pikachu is about half the size of Charizard in the game. Officially, from the Pokémon games, Pikachu is 1'4", and Charizard is 5'7". That's almost four times as large. There's been some rescaling. Whether you think Ridley doesn't deserve it, or it's "not right" to scale him down, you cannot say that it hasn't been done before.

UberMario

Smash Master
Melee and Brawl show that Sakurai is indifferent about Ridley's size.
In melee he's as tall as Bowser, in Brawl he's only 60% larger.

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
We're not going to see something rivaling Pixar, but I wouldn't mind seeing something like you had in mind. Most of the characters already in Smash come from a cartoony or anime-esque series, with Snake being the exception, so it could work with no problems. The Mario series would that proper cartoony fell and Samus can look like she's not in the 90's.
Besides giving him better textures, Snake could look the same way he does in Brawl. Sonic Unleashed-esque lighting would make him and Samus look really, really good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/segaamerica/2989366625/in/set-72157605801843889/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/segaamerica/2989366641/in/set-72157605801843889/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/segaamerica/2990220528/in/set-72157605801843889/

There shouldn't be minibosses, period. Characters at that size might as well be characters. Otherwise, it's giving the finger to the people who wanted those characters. Anyway, if you know anything about the MOTHER games, it's that Claus was the final boss in MOTHER 3. Porky would be a miniboss before him. Also, all the MOTHER games are in the same universe, it's not like Final Fantasy.
I've given examples before of how characters that size can indeed be mini-bosses: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5-jYQhEmWg

I'll admit that I'm not one who necessarily wants to see Claus as a playable character, but wouldn't mind seeing him as a boss. Yeah he has a chance of appearing as a playable character, but I don't support his inclusion as such. And despite the fact that Claus was technically the final boss in Mother 3, I chose Porky to be the main boss because he's present in both Earthbound and Mother 3.

And I was always under the impression that the Mother games took place in different universes or alternate universes? I dunno, I guess seeing how Mother and Earthbound has quite different settings compared to Mother 3 made me think that. If I'm wrong, then my bad.

Anyway, I want to say something about Mewtwo. If he returns, I want him to be a fast and heavy character. Sounds broken huh? Well, the catch is that he's like 6'7 in the games so he could be sized to where he's an easy target. This way, Mewtwo can be the kickass character he was meant to be.
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7735954&postcount=16

Always found it funny how great minds think alike.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Can we stop talikg about DxK vs. KR already?

I think they have an equal chance of getting in OK? As of recently, each game that has had one has had the other.
Actually, the majority of the argument was whether Donkey Kong would get another character or not, and right now it seems that getting a new character seems the most popular and definitely the most likely. The Dixie Kong vs. King K. Rool has actually just begun.

Anyway, Dixie Kong definitely has higher chances than K. Rool, there really isn't any doubt about that. But K. Rool still does have his chances. King K. Rool has appeared as the series main antagonist for the entire series and is a very popular character. But Dixie was the protagonist for two Donkey Kong Country games, even more than DK himself. Plus, she has the side of Sakurai's favor.

OH AND ABOUT RIDLEY, he is definitely the top choice for a Metroid character at the moment. First of all, we can't really tell what Sakurai thinks about his size. While Ridley definitely would look perfectly fine scaled down to be a bit taller than Bowser, Ganondorf and Dedede, we really don't know what Sakurai thinks about it so we can't tell. I think it is very possibl and would love to see it happen, but I don't know how likely it is. What helps Ridley though is that he is the most common recurring Metroid character next to Samus, and even better, he has immense popularity on his side that Sakurai can't ignore.

Nevertheless, Metriod is very controversial when it comes to Smash; most of the characters have something that holds them back and we don't know Sakurai's opinions on these. Right now it is safe to assume that, if we even get a new Metroid character, Ridley is the most likely. However, expect the unexpected. Anything could happen when it comes to Metroid.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I've given examples before of how characters that size can indeed be mini-bosses: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5-jYQhEmWg

I'll admit that I'm not one who necessarily wants to see Claus as a playable character, but wouldn't mind seeing him as a boss. Yeah he has a chance of appearing as a playable character, but I don't support his inclusion as such. And despite the fact that Claus was technically the final boss in Mother 3, I chose Porky to be the main boss because he's present in both Earthbound and Mother 3.

And I was always under the impression that the Mother games took place in different universes or alternate universes? I dunno, I guess seeing how Mother and Earthbound has quite different settings compared to Mother 3 made me think that. If I'm wrong, then my bad.
There's a difference between a miniboss, or boss for that matter, in a game like Muramasa and Smash Bros. The minibosses in the former type are designed to be like that from the beginning. The ones you are proposing for Smash were not designed for that. Characters like Claus and Captain Syrup can bring something new to the table and have their fair share of popularity. Making them minibosses would be worse than Assist Trophies to the people who want them playable because they have a larger moveset pool than the assists.

Anyway, I think the main MOTHER boss should be Giygas. There's a lot of potential with him and Porky would make a good miniboss.

The MOTHER games are indeed in the same universe based on my understanding of the plot. MOTHER and MOTHER 2 take place at most ten years in between each other and Giygas is the main villain in both of them. MOTHER 3 takes place either 1,000 or 10,000 years after MOTHER 2 in a post-apocalyptic world.

sundayseclipse

Smash Journeyman
hmmm

what do you think of the new sin and punishment game trailers, and the posibility of them getting in smash.

i think they should add at least 5 new francises to the game and 1 or 2 retro...which i think should be balloon fighter, the other idk.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think Sin and Punishment could get a character in the next game. It's been quite popular on the Virtual Console and the sequel seems promising. Also, Sakurai commented that Saki was a highly requested character. I think will see Saki in SSB4. I don't know about Isa though.

If they add five new series in SSB4, I'd like to see:

1. Sin and Punishment
2. Punch-Out!
3. Animal Crossing
4. Panel de Pon
5. Starfy

Of course, that's only it's limited to five, otherwise, I'd include Advance Wars, Custom Robo, and maybe Tomato Adventure.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I think Sin and Punishment could get a character in the next game. It's been quite popular on the Virtual Console and the sequel seems promising. Also, Sakurai commented that Saki was a highly requested character. I think will see Saki in SSB4. I don't know about Isa though.

1. Sin and Punishment
2. Punch-Out!
3. Animal Crossing
4. Panel de Pon
5. Starfy

Of course, that's only it's limited to five, otherwise, I'd include Advance Wars, Custom Robo, and maybe Tomato Adventure.
You forgot Golden Sun.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Also I wouldn't count on Captain Syrup being a miniboss, PC, or AT really...did she actually get into fights in the WL games, or was it all the genie or machines? I guess those could be used, but they seem like such obscure refferences.

And as for Sin and Punishment, I think its a bit too early to guess who the character that would be used in Smash, if the series did get represented. Like Golden Sun the next generation is taking over, so I think its knd of up in the air. Still, I'd love the S&P stage to be that one battleship level (though I guess I've only seen it on video as of right now)

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
Anyway, I think the main MOTHER boss should be Giygas. There's a lot of potential with him and Porky would make a good miniboss.
Don't you think Giygas is a bit too... abstract for Smash? How would they go about making him a boss when he doesn't have a physical form? (Or would he just be in the Devil's Machine or appear like how he does in Mother?)

I nominate Drill Dozer for the obscure series rep.
I'd give that honor to Takamaru.

But anyway, about new series debuting in SSB4: Would Joy Mech Fight be considered retro?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I nominate Drill Dozer for the obscure series rep.
I have a hard time seeing how Jill would work as a fighter. I think Jill's fine as an Assist Trophy. My choice for obscure series would be Mole Mania with Muddy Mole being the rep. Basically, it's a little known Miyamoto game that was pretty much released around the same time as Super Mario 64 so, obviously, barely sold any copies at all. I just beat it a few days ago and it's a solid game and it's a shame that a sequel was never made.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
How can Jill grab anyone [or anything]? It's more reasonable to have Mach Rider grab someone. (Which still would look ridiculous)
My thoughts exactly. She doesn't grab in the games and, for that matter, she doesn't really have any attacks either aside from, you know, the drill. Still a horrifically underrated game though.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord

1. Sin and Punishment
2. Punch-Out!
3. Animal Crossing
4. Panel de Pon
5. Starfy

Animal Crossing is already a series in SSB.

babster80

Smash Rookie
New Character Ideas

Paper Mario (NOT A CLONE)
B: Power Smash - Charges up Hammer
SB: Spin hammer - Charges up Hammer and spins. (Like IC SB)
UB: Spring Jump - Scrunches into a spring and launches up.
DB: Quake Hammer - Lands on ground with hammer damaging enemies surrounding him (Like Ground Pound or Bowser DB)

Final Smash: Earth tremor - Press A at the right timing like in TTYD and the more you get correct, the deadlier the attack.

Dr. Robotnik (In SA2 Robot suit)
NuetralA: Guns
B: Egg Cannon: Charges up cannon kind of like Samus and fires.
SB: Wrecking Ball: Uses the wrecking ball in the first boss battle in Genesis STH.
UB: Jets: Self-Explanatory
DB: Mines - Plants mines on ground that you are unharmed by.
Final Smash: Bombardment: Eggman gets out of the robot on his little circle-like ship and flies away, missiles drop on the course followed by a huge laser cannon fire, and Eggman, in his robot suit, returns.

UberMario

Smash Master
Should movesets change slightly in mid-air?

It bothers me that some characters (such as Peach, Donkey Kong) can't use their vB in mid-air,
so should that button combination unleash a different attack instead of doing nothing?

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace

It bothers me that some characters (such as Peach, Donkey Kong) can't use their vB in mid-air,
so should that button combination unleash a different attack instead of doing nothing?
No, they shouldn't get special "B-Aerial moves", four special moves is enough. And the whole point of aerial attacks is so that you can attack in the air, most characters have pretty decent aerial attacks (I'm not saying everyone does). When you have aerials, why would you need to use down specials anyway?

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion

In a way that's probably part of the balance of the move so that Peach can't just float away from the stage while spamming turnips.

However, I do think DK's down-special should have a function in the air, like he slaps his hands down for a powerful spike and if he hits the ground while doing it he does the shockwave like normal. So instead of having new aerial specials those moves could just have a slightly different effect in the air

BG3

Smash Journeyman
No, they shouldn't get special "B-Aerial moves", four special moves is enough. And the whole point of aerial attacks is so that you can attack in the air, most characters have pretty decent aerial attacks (I'm not saying everyone does). When you have aerials, why would you need to use down specials anyway?
Captain Falcon and Ganondorf's down-b has a different use in the air and on the ground, so DK and Peach should be able to have something instead of nothing.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Captain Falcon and Ganondorf's down-b has a different use in the air and on the ground, so DK and Peach should be able to have something instead of nothing.
Well I agree that their down B should have some use in the air but it seemed like UberMario was suggesting completely different "Aerial Down specials". If I was misunderstood about that, sorry.

But anyway, DK should be able to use his down special in the air in some way, but where is Peach going to pull her turnip from? I guess the same place where she gets a golf club, tennis racket, and frying pan... but this isn't really that big of a deal to me, so I don't really care what happens.

I made a special move moveset for Ridley, just for fun. I don't want to hear any **** like "BUT HE EZ TOOO BIG TO BEH PLAYUHBL!!!1!one!". Thats not the point. This moveset is just for fun if Ridley was playable or if he ever happened to be playable. I would like to see him with this moveset. Anyway, here we go...

STANDARD B: ~ Flamethrower
Alright, so it doesn't really resemble a flamethrower, but it's better than "flame ball." Anyway, what happens is simple. Ridley slightly ducks down as his snout glows red for a split second, than immediately after that a sphere-shaped fireball followed by a small trail of fire shoots out of his mouth at enemies in front of him. The fireball is about the size of a hothead (the item) and shoots straight forward at a speed similar to Zero Suit Samus's stun gun. If it connects, it deals a good amount of damage but has very little knockback. It's range is similar to Samus's charged laser shot. Continuous use of the move will cause it's power to deplete, and eventually the fire will die. This, of course, is the move Kirby inherits, although Kirby's will likely be much smaller.

SIDE B: ~ Grinding Tail
Ridley jumps in the air flapping his wings while the tip of his tail still rests on the ground below him. Ridley will quickly move in the direction the move was commanded while grinding the spike of his tail across the ground. You can control this move and change direction when you want by pushing in the other direction, but it's controllability is similar to Yoshi's Egg roll. Note that it does not go this fast either. When Ridley connects with this move, he scores consecutive hits like Meta Knight's side B, but there isn't a big knockback. This move accumulates a good amount of damage, up to fifteen percent if used at it's full potential.

UP B: ~ Hovering Beat
If this move is used on a solid surface, Ridley will quickly rise a few feet into the air flapping his wings at a steady pace. He has very fluid movement when in the air with this move and is easy to control, you can also quickly travel over distances. Moving down will cause you to land on the ground and the move will end, or you can move upward to recover if needed. This move is very similar to Pit's move, "Wings of Icarus." But due to Ridley's immense size and weight, he can't get move vertical recovery, this is best suited for traveling quickly or horizontal recovery. Also, attacking while using this move will end it. This lasts for five seconds and when the move is over, Ridley will enter his helpless animation and fall until touching solid ground.

DOWN B: ~ Dragon Claw
Ridley inherets Bowser's side B move Koopa Claw from Melee. Basically, he swings out his hand grabbing at opponets, and once he gets a hold of one, you can continually bite them causing good damage. Pressing down B again will cause Ridley to throw them forward, or head-butt them forward with a heavy knockback (mostly depending on the damage). Some say this is too similar to a grab move, but Bowser used it in Melee, it would be possible and neat to see. Plus, a thing that would differentiate it is the fact that you can move, jump, etc. while holding the character. Performing any other move will cause Ridley to drop his opponent. After five seconds, Ridley will lose the grip of his opponent, or after one second of inactivity. So while moving/jumping, be sure to bite as to not lose grip of your opponent. Also, Ridley will automatically lose grip after seven bites. Each bite causes small damage, like 3-4%. The real damage of this move is in the finish, or the head-butt/throw that you do by pressing down B again.

FINAL SMASH: ~ Ridley Rocket
This final Smash is very interesting. We all remember in the Metroid games or in the Ridley battle in Brawl when Ridley rushed in from the background like a rocket, sweeping enemies of their feet and his gaping mouth and razor claws tearing up those unfortunate enough to be in his way. Now, you get to use this move, and with more power than ever. After getting the Smash Ball, Ridley jumps into the air offscreen, and the screen is tinted red with cross-hares that are under the player's control, very similar to the dragoon move. Place the cross-hares where you want to attack and press the B button. Ridley will zoom in from the background like a rocket instantly KOing those in the center point of his attack (where his beak is). Like the dragoon, the screen will freeze as Ridley connects with opponents. Here are a few additional comments about this move; For a second after Ridley begins zooming to the stage from the background, the players are able to flee in any direction. The cross-hares represent the range. If the player is out of the range where the cross-hares were commanded, they will not be hurt (but a draft of wind will push them away). If the player is in the outer, thicker portion of where the cross-hare was commanded (representing Ridley's claws and wings), they will take a large amount of damage and receive some knockback. The knockback depends on their current damage. Finally, if the player happens to be where the center of the cross-hares were commanded, they are doomed. Ridley's enormous beak will finish them off, regardless of their their damage.

Now I just want to mention one thing I thought of that would make this Final Smash so much cooler. In the screen where you move the cross-hares around to set the point of Ridley's attack, something interesting can be seen on the screen. If you look very, very closely, you can see a faint image of Ridley's eye taking up the entire screen. His pupils move with and always look at the cross-hares. I just thought I would add that in, it would be so much more... EPIC!

Anyway, what do you think?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
How about oli then? There's tons of moves that have different uses in the air and when grounded. That's something you need to deal with.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Well I agree that their down B should have some use in the air but it seemed like UberMario was suggesting completely different "Aerial Down specials". If I was misunderstood about that, sorry.

But anyway, DK should be able to use his down special in the air in some way, but where is Peach going to pull her turnip from? I guess the same place where she gets a golf club, tennis racket, and frying pan... but this isn't really that big of a deal to me, so I don't really care what happens.

I made a special move moveset for Ridley, just for fun. I don't want to hear any **** like "BUT HE EZ TOOO BIG TO BEH PLAYUHBL!!!1!one!". Thats not the point. This moveset is just for fun if Ridley was playable or if he ever happened to be playable. I would like to see him with this moveset. Anyway, here we go...

STANDARD B: ~ Flamethrower
Alright, so it doesn't really resemble a flamethrower, but it's better than "flame ball." Anyway, what happens is simple. Ridley slightly ducks down as his snout glows red for a split second, than immediately after that a sphere-shaped fireball followed by a small trail of fire shoots out of his mouth at enemies in front of him. The fireball is about the size of a hothead (the item) and shoots straight forward at a speed similar to Zero Suit Samus's stun gun. If it connects, it deals a good amount of damage but has very little knockback. It's range is similar to Samus's charged laser shot. Continuous use of the move will cause it's power to deplete, and eventually the fire will die. This, of course, is the move Kirby inherits, although Kirby's will likely be much smaller.

SIDE B: ~ Grinding Tail
Ridley jumps in the air flapping his wings while the tip of his tail still rests on the ground below him. Ridley will quickly move in the direction the move was commanded while grinding the spike of his tail across the ground. You can control this move and change direction when you want by pushing in the other direction, but it's controllability is similar to Yoshi's Egg roll. Note that it does not go this fast either. When Ridley connects with this move, he scores consecutive hits like Meta Knight's side B, but there isn't a big knockback. This move accumulates a good amount of damage, up to fifteen percent if used at it's full potential.

UP B: ~ Hovering Beat
If this move is used on a solid surface, Ridley will quickly rise a few feet into the air flapping his wings at a steady pace. He has very fluid movement when in the air with this move and is easy to control, you can also quickly travel over distances. Moving down will cause you to land on the ground and the move will end, or you can move upward to recover if needed. This move is very similar to Pit's move, "Wings of Icarus." But due to Ridley's immense size and weight, he can't get move vertical recovery, this is best suited for traveling quickly or horizontal recovery. Also, attacking while using this move will end it. This lasts for five seconds and when the move is over, Ridley will enter his helpless animation and fall until touching solid ground.

DOWN B: ~ Dragon Claw
Ridley inherets Bowser's side B move Koopa Claw from Melee. Basically, he swings out his hand grabbing at opponets, and once he gets a hold of one, you can continually bite them causing good damage. Pressing down B again will cause Ridley to throw them forward, or head-butt them forward with a heavy knockback (mostly depending on the damage). Some say this is too similar to a grab move, but Bowser used it in Melee, it would be possible and neat to see. Plus, a thing that would differentiate it is the fact that you can move, jump, etc. while holding the character. Performing any other move will cause Ridley to drop his opponent. After five seconds, Ridley will lose the grip of his opponent, or after one second of inactivity. So while moving/jumping, be sure to bite as to not lose grip of your opponent. Also, Ridley will automatically lose grip after seven bites. Each bite causes small damage, like 3-4%. The real damage of this move is in the finish, or the head-butt/throw that you do by pressing down B again.

FINAL SMASH: ~ Ridley Rocket
This final Smash is very interesting. We all remember in the Metroid games or in the Ridley battle in Brawl when Ridley rushed in from the background like a rocket, sweeping enemies of their feet and his gaping mouth and razor claws tearing up those unfortunate enough to be in his way. Now, you get to use this move, and with more power than ever. After getting the Smash Ball, Ridley jumps into the air offscreen, and the screen is tinted red with cross-hares that are under the player's control, very similar to the dragoon move. Place the cross-hares where you want to attack and press the B button. Ridley will zoom in from the background like a rocket instantly KOing those in the center point of his attack (where his beak is). Like the dragoon, the screen will freeze as Ridley connects with opponents. Here are a few additional comments about this move; For a second after Ridley begins zooming to the stage from the background, the players are able to flee in any direction. The cross-hares represent the range. If the player is out of the range where the cross-hares were commanded, they will not be hurt (but a draft of wind will push them away). If the player is in the outer, thicker portion of where the cross-hare was commanded (representing Ridley's claws and wings), they will take a large amount of damage and receive some knockback. The knockback depends on their current damage. Finally, if the player happens to be where the center of the cross-hares were commanded, they are doomed. Ridley's enormous beak will finish them off, regardless of their their damage.

Now I just want to mention one thing I thought of that would make this Final Smash so much more cooler. In the screen where you move the cross-hares around to set the point of Ridley's attack, something interesting can be seen on the screen. If you look very, very closely, you can see a faint image of Ridley's eye taking up the entire screen. His pupils move with and always look at the cross-hares. I just thought I would add that in, it would be so much more... EPIC!

Anyway, what do you think?

I give it a 5/5! The final smash is 4 points of the 5, lol. The rest is just as good, but the final smash got me the most, very epic add-on.

This is very well done. Should we have a thread where we can create movesets for characters we want in the SSB series, so that we don't interrupt these conversations? I think it would be pretty cool, if we did.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I give it a 5/5! The final smash is 4 points of the 5, lol. The rest is just as good, but the final smash got me the most, very epic add-on.

This is very well done. Should we have a thread where we can create movesets for characters we want in the SSB series, so that we don't interrupt these conversations? I think it would be pretty cool, if we did.
:) Thanks, the final smash was my favorite part too. Especially the eye and the pupil, I would love to see that in the game somehow...

I don't know if there should be a separate thread for movesets though, I have a fear of this place getting any less active, and more threads to visit would create that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom