• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
For Diddy and Dixie. I like the idea of Dixie just following as an Ice Climber. Hitting her will not give her damage and she will act like IC in every way (even if Diddy is sent flying.)

When diddy dies, Dixie will disappear and the player will respawn as Dixie (with Diddy following him.)
Keeps it simple.

NeverFiniteX

Smash Apprentice
Drag0nscythe
* (with Diddy following her).

It keeps it simple but not authentic. We may as well not have Dixie in at all if she's just another Nana. Although it may be easy to use the IC template as a basis for programming the Kong duo, I would rather the next smash show that they don't have to rely on their cloning techniques in order to finish their product. In lack of a better term, doing it that way is rather lazy, especially in the sense that they run out of time and we DO get an IC clone, which wouldn't reflect well.

Perhaps if Diddy or Dixie die while utlizing the totem pole technique, they would respawn together (in a different order). I can actually see them being synced as of main willingly going off the edge (as in DKC2) but not when being smashed, the partner shouldn't even be able to recieve damage outside of the totem pole (standby). I think I'm going to play DKC2 again and see how some of these things are implemented.

(On terms of authenticity, it might be cool if they get an altered moveset in this mode. Keeping it reasonable, I would think that the only altered dimension would be weight.)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Personally, I'd like to see something from Viewtiful Joe 2 for when you swapped Joe and Sylvia (Where's 3 dammit?!).

The way it'd work is that you can switch any time where the following conditions are not present:

1. You are in a state of hitstun.
2. You are experiencing knockback (no last second switches).
3. You are in a helpless state.
4. You are falling (where you're spinning).

One thing I liked about drag0nscythe's Ganondorf suggestion is that he utilized an otherwise useless button - one of the unused taunt buttons.

I would apply this to the switch for Diddy and Dixie as well and you can charge the switch as well where you can have different types of team attacks like this totem one I'm hearing about.

At the same time, this is kinda like MvC2, but it leans towards VJ.

NeverFiniteX

Smash Apprentice
I just playef DKC2 for half an hour. I discovered something useful that I didn't recognize before. I've always played co-op with a friend (mostly my brother), so whenever someone dies, the other character is switched out (Dixie dies, Diddy Plays). In single player, you die and your character is maintained. This might prove useful for those of us who might not want to switch after every stock.

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
I would love to see an air dash! It seems like every fighting game has one nowadays. It would be a cool addition to Smash. But, imo, Smash 4 should be slightly faster than melee with enhanced graphics (similar to Street Fighter 4), the character roster of Brawl with a few more newcomers and thats it. It should also play like Melee as well, meaning that all of the glitches and stuff should be intact.

n88

Smash Lord
@Masamune

It also says "for now"

@WoodyWiggins

I would delete everything you just posted before Chu sees it.

Poll is gaining votage, but it's still only got ~1/4 of what it had before. MAch Rider s doing much better this time around, though. :)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I would love to see an air dash! It seems like every fighting game has one nowadays. It would be a cool addition to Smash. But, imo, Smash 4 should be slightly faster than melee with enhanced graphics (similar to Street Fighter 4), the character roster of Brawl with a few more newcomers and thats it. It should also play like Melee as well, meaning that all of the glitches and stuff should be intact.
This air dash idea of yours sound like if you broke up the Melee Air Dodge into Brawl's and this. What do you think of the idea of allowing air back dashes?

In regards to the Brawl, how many newcomers are we talking? Most people here wouldn't settle for anything unless it's greater than 10 which is somewhat justifying considering that this is like one of the few series that doesn't do updates.

@ n88
Let him come. I want to see how long this guy can continue to use weak, narrow minded arguments that involve sales (and using weak conclusions) and a really loose interpretation of the Blue Ocean strategy and citing Maelstrom.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I just playef DKC2 for half an hour. I discovered something useful that I didn't recognize before. I've always played co-op with a friend (mostly my brother), so whenever someone dies, the other character is switched out (Dixie dies, Diddy Plays). In single player, you die and your character is maintained. This might prove useful for those of us who might not want to switch after every stock.
I had something similar to this in my mind! Suppose you are in a 3 stock match and you are playing as Diddy & Dixie.

1st stock: start out as Diddy, Dixie follows Diddy, get KO'd as Diddy

2nd stock: Dixie takes over, Diddy respawns inside a DK Barrel on the "respawning platform", Dixie touches the barrel and Diddy comes out, Diddy follows Dixie, get KO'd as Dixie

3rd stock: Diddy takes over, Dixie respawns inside a DK Barrel on the "respawning platform", Diddy gets KO'd before he touches the barrel, Diddy & Dixie lose the match

Another possibility...

3rd stock: Diddy takes over, Dixie respawns inside a DK Barrel on the "respawning platform", Diddy touches the barrel and Dixie comes out, Dixie follows Diddy, gets KO'd as Diddy or Dixie (depending on who is in the lead), Diddy & Dixie lose the match

I was thinking that if Diddy or Dixie were alone, they could throw Banana Peels with Down B. When Diddy or Dixie gets the other Kong, the Down B becomes Tag Switch. I was thinking that if the following Kong gets KO'd, they won't respawn in a DK Barrel for 30 seconds so the leading Kong would have to go solo for a little while - just something to stay true to the original DKC games, even just a little bit. Hmm, it is starting to sound like a combination of Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainer. I like it.

Edit: Kuma, I think 12-15 is a reasonable number of newcomers for SSB4. We got 13-14 in Melee and 16-18 in Brawl.

n88

Smash Lord
@Diddy/Dixie stuff

Really, I don't think switching should be forced. Maybe you could hold a button when you died to keep the same character. (Blatantly steals idea from B+).

I think the idea should be forced, but only when the player fails (lets one die).

The pokemon trainer tried to enforce the switch and instead just got people trying to spam switch and complain when that gets them killed.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think the idea should be forced, but only when the player fails (lets one die).

The pokemon trainer tried to enforce the switch and instead just got people trying to spam switch and complain when that gets them killed.
I didn't spam the switch when I play as the Pokemon Trainer. It forces me to learn to play well as all three of them as opposed to being good as one Pokemon and bad as the other two. I guess that's the idea of being a Pokemon Trainer - you have to use all your Pokemon in battles to be a good trainer just like in the games. Zelda/Sheik did not force you to play as one or the other, and because of that, I am very good with Zelda but not as Sheik. The same with Samus and Zero Suit Samus (I actually prefer Zero Suit Samus over regular Samus).

With Diddy & Dixie, you have no stamina so you don't have to switch. You switch only when you die (Pokemon Trainer) or when you feel like it (Zelda/Sheik).

But chances are, at least the way I suggested it, you will not have both kongs die, so you'll have to switch at death much like the Pokemon Trainer.

And While you, I, and I'm sure many others use the Trainer the way he's suppossed to be used, the most common concern you hear regarding the Trainer is the swiching leaves you too open (which is the point).

The ability to switch on command just makes it more rewarding for players who can play both. Also the kongs would each have certain strengths more useful to each situation. (Dixie being a stronger recovery character for example)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If Diddy and Dixie were together, I'd like it to work like in the actual games where they are mostly similar but still have their own unique abilties like Dixie's ability to glide with her hair. If anything, their down B would be the "switch" move that was shown in DKC2/DKL2.

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
You guys are getting too comfortable with the Diddy/Dixie pairing. How about we keep Diddy as is, so we don't alienate those who have become accustomed to him, and make Dixie a stand alone character? Yeah, I think that's a better idea.

Oh, and Fatman is back. Hey, Fatman! :)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hey, this month was hectic with projects and finals. After coming back to my apartment after Thanksgiving, I didn't even bother setting up my Wii again because I knew I wouldn't have time for it.

Anyways, I agree that they shouldn't be together but if they were I'd say to try to make it as much like the DKC games as possible.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
You guys are getting too comfortable with the Diddy/Dixie pairing. How about we keep Diddy as is, so we don't alienate those who have become accustomed to him, and make Dixie a stand alone character? Yeah, I think that's a better idea.
I like the way Snrub thinks.

The pair idea would've been pretty cool pre-Brawl. I know a lot of you think it's too cool of an idea to give up, but Dixie's better off by herself at this point.

n88

Smash Lord
That looks like an animaniac.

I suppose Diddy's unllikely to change now, but I still like the idea. Dixie/Kiddy for SSB4!

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

Oh, and Fatman is back. Hey, Fatman! :)
Not much to say, but yeah, I agree on this. It would be hard to go back and change an existing character.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

This guy must be in the next game else I'm not purchasing it (or Geno).
Klonoa? I'd rather have him represent Namco-Bandai than Pac-man but, when it comes to NB characters, he's down a bit on the list and even further down when it comes to third party characters as a whole. That reminds me, I still need to play the Wii-remake of the first Klonoa game.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Klonoa? I'd rather have him represent Namco-Bandai than Pac-man but, when it comes to NB characters, he's down a bit on the list and even further down when it comes to third party characters as a whole. That reminds me, I still need to play the Wii-remake of the first Klonoa game.
This has been bugging me for a while, but no one seems to know who would be the Namco character should there be one. Well, I have a suggestion for you guys:
Haruka Amami from The Idolm@ster
She's the one on the left.

Her final Smash would be のヮの

Anyone who thinks I'm serious should be slapped.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm surprised I didn't get WTF?! remark or something first for that post. Anywya, I think Pacman is most likely, but he's just not all that appealing to me. He's not appalling; he's just not appealing.

Lloyd is definitely one to keep an eye on. Nintendo fans have taken a liking to him, he's like the Ike of the Tales series (hell, they both had a game on the GC and Wii), and, like you said, he seems to keep showing up. If anything, it's like Ryu : Capcom and Lloyd : Namco.

I'm not seeing (2D) Pac-man getting in, and 3d Pac-man just sucks. I'd much prefer Lloyd, but that probably won't happen either.

And, I find the fact that one of the most widely agreed upon things in this thread is "Ganondorf should be redone" but the main argument against Diddy/Dixie is that they would have to make a minor change to his moveset (the broken part >.>) and alter his playstyle. Yet, everyone many want Ganondorf to be completely revamped.

While Toise pointed out that Dixie is unique enough to be her own character, I don't see her and K.Rool getting in and K.Rool carries priority over her

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
This air dash idea of yours sound like if you broke up the Melee Air Dodge into Brawl's and this. What do you think of the idea of allowing air back dashes?

In regards to the Brawl, how many newcomers are we talking? Most people here wouldn't settle for anything unless it's greater than 10 which is somewhat justifying considering that this is like one of the few series that doesn't do updates.
More like a Guilty Gear air dash. A quick directional burst of speed. Which, in the case of an air dodge, would leave Brawl's air dodge a better choice compared to Melee's. In the case of Newcomers, Birdo, Toad, Waluigi, Captain Syrup, Darunia, Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario, Vaati, Blastiose (Bowser rival), Little Mac, Knuckle Joe, Funky Kong, Lanky Kong, Lip. . . . basically what I'm trying to say is that the roster of characters should be similar to Marvel v. Capcom 2, only a tad more organized. Characters should be catergorized by series at the character select screen. For example, all the Mushroom Kingdom characters in one area, all the Warp Star characters in one area, all the Star Fox characters, all the Earthbound characters etc. . .

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
More like a Guilty Gear air dash. A quick directional burst of speed. Which, in the case of an air dodge, would leave Brawl's air dodge a better choice compared to Melee's. In the case of Newcomers, Birdo, Toad, Waluigi, Captain Syrup, Darunia, Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario, Vaati, Blastiose (Bowser rival), Little Mac, Knuckle Joe, Funky Kong, Lanky Kong, Lip. . . . basically what I'm trying to say is that the roster of characters should be similar to Marvel v. Capcom 2, only a tad more organized. Characters should be catergorized by series at the character select screen. For example, all the Mushroom Kingdom characters in one area, all the Warp Star characters in one area, all the Star Fox characters, all the Earthbound characters etc. . .
I knew what you were talking about it. It was more of a remark than anything else. It's a heck of a lot better than my NWD idea which was the ground version of the air dash. Anyway, I respect your choices, but I'm not all for some of them, namely Blastoise, Shadow Mario, Knuckle Joe, Funky Kong, Birdo, Darunia, and Lanky Kong.

The characters are already separated by series.

n88

Smash Lord
For the record, I have never seen anyone who actually wants Pac-Man. Most people who support him just say he should be in because he had one popular game ~30 years ago. Many people are not even aware that there are any Pac-Man games outside of Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man.

At any rate, Sakurai will most likely not ask Namco for a character. If a Namco character gets in, it'll be because Namco asks for one. And seeing how SoulCalibur is probably the most heavily advertised of Namco series, I'd say there's a good chance of a SoulCalibur character appearing.

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
I knew what you were talking about it. It was more of a remark than anything else. It's a heck of a lot better than my NWD idea which was the ground version of the air dash. Anyway, I respect your choices, but I'm not all for some of them, namely Blastoise, Shadow Mario, Knuckle Joe, Funky Kong, Birdo, Darunia, and Lanky Kong.

The characters are already separated by series.
Oh, sorry ^_^, I totally misread your post. Anyway, I can see you not liking Birdo, but Blastoise!? Aw man, Blastoise versus Bowser! Water turtle versus Fire turtle!? Hydro Pump versus Flame Breath? The sheer size and strength of these two monstrosities is overwhelming! :laugh: But seriously we need more heavy characters. Darunia, Blastoise and Funky Kong are all prime candidates.
And by "seperated by series" I mean, like literally on the screen there would distinct borders that seperate groupings of characters.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm not seeing (2D) Pac-man getting in, and 3d Pac-man just sucks. I'd much prefer Lloyd, but that probably won't happen either.

And, I find the fact that one of the most widely agreed upon things in this thread is "Ganondorf should be redone" but the main argument against Diddy/Dixie is that they would have to make a minor change to his moveset (the broken part >.>) and alter his playstyle. Yet, everyone many want Ganondorf to be completely revamped.

While Toise pointed out that Dixie is unique enough to be her own character, I don't see her and K.Rool getting in and K.Rool carries priority over her
You are right about the Ganondorf issue. People want to completely revamp Ganondorf by giving him a sword and yet they don't want to revamp Diddy Kong by giving him Dixie Kong as a team partner.

And how does King K. Rool gets priority over Dixie Kong? Last I checked, Dixie Kong was considered for Brawl, not King K. Rool. :p

For the record, I have never seen anyone who actually wants Pac-Man. Most people who support him just say he should be in because he had one popular game ~30 years ago. Many people are not even aware that there are any Pac-Man games outside of Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man.

At any rate, Sakurai will most likely not ask Namco for a character. If a Namco character gets in, it'll be because Namco asks for one. And seeing how SoulCalibur is probably the most heavily advertised of Namco series, I'd say there's a good chance of a SoulCalibur character appearing.
Pac-Man is the mascot of Namco. That's the only reason I support Pac-Man if Namco is getting a character. Pac-Man even had guest appearances in Mario Kart Arcade GP 1 and 2. He is the Sonic of Namco - their first games were the best in the series and their latest games were not that great.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Oh, sorry ^_^, I totally misread your post. Anyway, I can see you not liking Birdo, but Blastoise!? Aw man, Blastoise versus Bowser! Water turtle versus Fire turtle!? Hydro Pump versus Flame Breath? The sheer size and strength of these two monstrosities is overwhelming! :laugh: But seriously we need more heavy characters. Darunia, Blastoise and Funky Kong are all prime candidates.
And by "seperated by series" I mean, like literally on the screen there would distinct borders that seperate groupings of characters.
K. Rool and Ridley should be enough. Having Blastoise while Squirtle is a PKT Pokemon is kinda weird. I see where you're coming from the whole rivalry thing, but that's always been more of a Charizard thing.

He didn't even ask anyone last time except for Sega and that was just because of the demand. Although, we will see something interesting next time what with Megaman and Travis Touchdown being possible candidates with the former almost universally agreed upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom