• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Utah Power Rankings

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
There's all this talk of starting a power rankings for brawl and for melee, is anyone going to back it up and actually start it? It seems like we've been saying we're going to get a brawl power rankings going for months now but we don't even have a panel yet. Melee hasn't been quite as long, but I still think we need to get that started soon, as well.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Since we've already nominated who should be on the panel, the nominees need to give some input whether they want to be on the panel or not.

C!Z

Smash Lord
For all you that don't know, you are posting in the Rankings thread for Utah. You either have to get Zack to resign and we start a new thread or talk to a mod about starting a new thread.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I sent a PM to AltF4 but he hasn't replied yet. If he does reply and say its ok, then this thread will get closed and PC can start a new thread (I suggested to him that you should run the new thread).

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I sent a PM to AltF4 but he hasn't replied yet. If he does reply and say its ok, then this thread will get closed and PC can start a new thread (I suggested to him that you should run the new thread).
I guess I'll be willing to run it; after all, I did get the approval from over 15 Utah Smash regulars before. :)

Woot cow PC
"Cow"?

harpuia190

Smash Ace
now to toot my own horn anything, but i will help on the brawl power rankings if you guys want

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Okay, I've done a bunch of things in preparation on starting a Brawl Power Rankings list.
I went through the trouble of imputing the results of the 8 big Brawl tournaments we've had into an Excel spreadsheet to get a better look at rankings in various ways. (Fun fact: We've had 70 different individuals in the 8 tournaments that we've had! Too bad most left after attending once or twice.) Anyway, back to the main matter at hand...
After looking at the results in many various ways, I've come up with a potential list. I've taken into consideration that more recent results take priority over older ones, consistency, among others. Here's what I have:
1: Dai-A (No argument here, right?)
2: Ken Neth
3: X (This is EXTREMELY close! Taking the results from the last 4 tournaments, they are even; from the last 3, Ken comes out slightly ahead; from the last 2, even again. X is slightly more consistent, with many 2 place finishes, losing to David in a lot of them. Ken's "overall" score [score of all results from teh very beginning] is a good amount lower, due to very low placements in his first two tournaments, but ever since then, he has also shown very good consistency. He even got a first-place finish, beating X [whom has never gotten first] to do so in MA7. But like I said before, these two are just amazingly close, so one shouldn't feel bad that they are placed lower, as these two could switch spots easily, based on future results. I see a potential of them switching back and forth many times...that is, if one of them doesn't suddenly do horrible.)
4: Lada
5: YazYaz (Again, another extremely close ranking. Counting overall rank, Lada is significantly ahead, due to Lada's top three performances in his first two tournies and Yaz's extremely bad performance in his first, but this is only a minor reason. Yaz has attended all four of the last four, while Lada missed MA7, but counting the average of those, Lada comes out slightly ahead. Lada is still more consistent than Yaz, which helps him here. Yaz's poor seventh-place finish in MA6 is hurting him; fortunately for Yaz, Lada only did slightly better in MA6 at 5th place. One thing that's really going for Lada is the fact that he beat out Yaz recently, in ToF, to get first. But again, these two are also very close, and unless they are places as being tied, which I'm trying to stay away from, it's going to cause debate.)
6: Staz (He has a pretty comfortable lead over 7th place.)
7: DarkRyu
8: Minato (9th in MA6, and 7th in MA7, good enough to be placed over Rade, in my opinion.)
9: Rade (He's placed 9th in the last four tournaments, so I think this is a good placing for him.)
10: Waffle Can (Placed 9th in MA4, MA5, & MA6, with a no-show on MA3, MA7, & ToF. Since these are older than Rade's, along with the minor fact that his overall placings are significantly lower than Rade's, it's obvious he should be placed lower.)
*W!ld Child is right behind, ready to bump Waffle Can off at the next tournament if things go right for him. W!ld did get 7th at ToF, but getting 13th MA5 and missing both MA6 and MA7 both hurt him.

Now, here's what I think the criteria should be for those that can be considered for ranking (the above list takes these criteria in consideration):
-One must have participated in at LEAST 3 tournaments (Metal Awesome or Tourny of Fate), and at least one of those must be at Metal Awesome. This is for the purpose of not just showing up once or twice and placing high due to being on an easy bracket. Also, people that only go to ToF just because it's at PnT are probably not dedicated enough to be ranked, anyway.
- The last tournament one participated in must not be more than 2 months ago (more specifically, more than 4 tournaments ago, counting both ToF and MA, once ToF gets its sequels). This is for the purpose of being active in the community.

Now, for the panel. Obviously, if I am to start the list, I need to be in the panel. But aside from that, here's who I think should be on it (keep in mind that this panel is a suggestion for just the Brawl panel; the Melee panel will be slightly different)...
FoxTheStampede and Corrupt Fate: They are the current hosts of the tournaments, so obviously, they'll be at every single one that they host to observe the relative skill level of the participants.
Ken Neth: He's very active, and can judge skill from a higher point of view. I'm NOT going to include Yaz, as I am trying to limit each crew (or group that often plays together) to having only one representative to minimize bias towards one's crew members.
Dai-A: Being the new undisputed best of Utah, he should have a good knowledge of the relative skill level of the top players.
Rade: Him and X are the only two to have entered ALL 8 tournaments, and with X's crew already represented, we have Rade. Since he's shows up at every tournament, he is surely to have observed a fair amount of tournament matches.
7th Panelist: I can't think of a 7th panel member (an odd amount is needed to better avoid tied votes) that's a good candidate and isn't part of a crew that's already represented (as I'm not quite sure who plays with who a lot). Possible people are Minato, DarkRyu, or, breaking the crew rules completely, another of the Arzola brothers or Yaz. It's also possible to have six, and if ever there's a tie, have the rest of the community be the tiebreaker (actually, this sounds pretty good).
Another thing: I've had this idea for a while... before, when we were doing the Melee list under Gojira's jurisdiction, we've always found it hard for all 5 panel members to meet at the same time to discuss the list. So I've come up with a solution to that problem: have the discussion meeting when at least 4 of the 6/7 are available (these people will vote during this meeting), and have the remaining ones that missed the discussion to simply send a vote later on through IM/PM/e-mail.

Well, for those that actually read my post, please comment on each of the three sections (proposed list, eligibility critiria, and panel).

slave1

Smash Lord
sad thing is that there is absolutely nothing to do right now. so i did read that entire post. and i like the list (except the good slave is not second) i like your ideas about the panelists and if all are not there. i really cant dispute with anything besides that being one heck of a long post.

harpuia190

Smash Ace
QQ slave it wasnt that long. besides the good slave is still listed in the SW PR thread so be happy for now

but yeah i would have to agree with just about everything, i think i might be better than minato, but then again probably not *sigh*

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Wow PC, must've taken quite awhile to put all this together. Ranking looks nice so far. 8th or 9th place is probably where I should be at. No arguments really on the top ten.

The criteria for being eligible for the top ten seems dead on.

As for the panel, it's good that you're trying to minimize and limit representatives from each crew. The panel is obviously the one that needs to have the most input on at the moment from the players.

QQ slave it wasnt that long. besides the good slave is still listed in the SW PR thread so be happy for now

but yeah i would have to agree with just about everything, i think i might be better than minato, but then again probably not *sigh*
I don't match up well against you and Yaz. I usually get 2 or 3 stocked by you two.

Waffle Can

Smash Apprentice
Nice job PC! Yeah, i need to enter into the singles tourneys more. Quick question for anyone really... is Mike/Fates tourneys going to count towards power rankings?

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
...Are we allowed to do challenges for like 1st in Utah title???
That "challenge" system doesn't work out so well. If it exists, people'll will focus more on challenging people rather than trying to place high in tournaments, especially for people who don't constantly place high. And it'll be very hard to keep track and keep up with (for the panel) the constant changes due to challenges.

We shouldn't have a brawl panel. PC seems to be doing a good job by himself.
Now there's an idea! :chuckle: PC DICTATORSHIP!

Wow PC, must've taken quite awhile to put all this together...
...The panel is obviously the one that needs to have the most input on at the moment from the players...
I pretty much thought through the details in my head while sitting bored at school, and then decided to take about half an hour to put together the excel page and figure out the last bit of details, and posting it.

Actually, I've always wanted to increase community involvement in the Power Rankings list (one major thing that the last list lacked that people complained about). But since the rules requires that a panel exist for a Power Rankings (and to be the ones deciding on the rank), I would suggest that the "7th Panelist" to be "the community", where in case of the need for a tiebreaker, the rest will vote to break the tie.

...is Mike/Fates tourneys going to count towards power rankings?
Well, if I had it my way, it would (considering that the list I proposed took ToF's results into consideration, as well as the fact that going to ToF counts towards your 3-tourny-minimum requirement). But if he suddenly decides to have it be a one-time-only thing instead of a monthly thing, then it probably won't.

BTW, who does the people in my top 10 main? Don't say you main "random" (I'm looking at you, Rade :p); just say who you would pick if you seriously want to win a tournament match.
Here's what I have, so far:
Dai-A: Falco
Ken Neth: Snake
X: Sonic
Lada: R.O.B.
YazYaz: Meta Knight
Staz: Ike
DarkRyu: Diddy Kong (?)
Minato: ???
Rade: ??? (I'm guessing Wario or Ness? If so, pick one...)
Waffle Can: Kirby (Pretty sure on this, but just making sure.)

harpuia190

Smash Ace
HAHAHAHA its official im now maining random

cause if i were to tell you who i actually use in tourneys before i decided to main random,
Ness, Wario, Zamus, Toon Link, Shiek, Mario

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
...cause if i were to tell you who i actually use in tourneys before i decided to main random,
Ness, Wario, Zamus, Toon Link, Shiek, Mario
Well, it's true that you use multiple characters in tournaments, but chances are, you'll still have one character that you are better with than the others. For example, I use a bunch of characters in Melee tournaments, but Sheik is still considered my "best".

~S@G3~

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
SAGE#234
So Seeing as Slave Xsyven and I are the only Active SSU smasher there obviously needs to be a SSU Ranking. First off Xsyven Vs. S@G3 Well I have abetter tourney record than Xsyven so......
1. S@G3
2.Xsyven
as from here on out Slave was lost to the Level 9 Pikachu in the Epic Battle of LVL 9 PIka Vs. Slave
3.LVL 9 Pika
4.Slave
5.LvL 9 Snake (??????)
6.Spencer
7.Kohl
8.That random kid who played smash with us???
9. Dai (he is just that good he dosent even live here and his smash aura is so great he needs to be on the ssu Rankins0
10.The Real Sage She coudl totaly owne all of you all.
11. Xsyvens Acting (I mean really Xsyven)

PS. Don't send me any hate mail for this. Mostly you Xsyven!

harpuia190

Smash Ace
fine if you guys really want me to say one, i would choose wario, ness or zamus, i dont care which one you put up

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I guess Olimar's my best, but I wouldn't say he's my main. I only used him for two MAs and one PnT tourney. Ness is my main I suppose...

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
fine if you guys really want me to say one, i would choose wario, ness or zamus, i dont care which one you put up
How about Wario wearing Zamus's suit and Ness's hat? (Okay, I'm NOT going to photoshop that picture.)

I guess Olimar's my best, but I wouldn't say he's my main. I only used him for two MAs and one PnT tourney. Ness is my main I suppose...
You've only been to 3 MAs (so two out of three is a good amount)... But shouldn't your main also be your best? Well, regardless, what character do you want as your character's image on the Power Rankings image?

wangston

Smash Lord
When am I going to be on the rankings??????? I totally got second at a thursday PnT and lost to kenny for my two losses, though there were only 12 people. But that weekly tourney doesn't count towards the power rankings. I've played in one MA and one ToF I got 5th and 9th respectively I would have gotten higher if I had an easy as a bracket as some people had. Though should I even be on the power rankings because oos I'm only here until april then college is out and I'm out of here.

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
You have one more tournament to enter before you are eligible. The Thursday PnT tournies don't count. April is far enough away to consider you a Utah smasher. We are happy to have you here :)

wangston

Smash Lord
hahaha shut up you just like owning me every time we play. But I love underscore he has a sexy sonic and I still have no clue what is going on when I play him

Top Bottom