• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Utah Power Rankings

harpuia190

Smash Ace
k so i should have my list up soon

but i need to ask, should zeth be considered? i heard varying opinions on the subject

Gojira

Smash Lord
You guys know that FP has gotten 9th every time and has only lost to the person so got 5th or higher in each touny he has been knocked out of. And other then Rade getting 17th once his lowest placing was 9th and other then that he is high up there. Other then the flaws I see i agree a good list.
Rankings are not determined by tourney placement but who and how well you beat to get that placing across many tourneys. That is the reason its far to early. My list was generated based on what I have seen so far in person at tournaments. Bruce has been removed because he has gone on a mission.

I think if the brackets weren't seeded then we might have a better idea, but I might be wrong. I mean I have yet to get knocked out by anyone but Dai-a and _______(another of the mexi's) And when the are seeded its only if one person's favor....
The best way to get a really good Idea is hold 2-3 Round robin tourneys since everyone would play everyone giving a 100% accurate rankings. Not seeding the bracket and making it random would be a bad idea for someone like X could possibly lose the first round and clean house against normal 4-5 spot takers and make them get a horribly placing compared to a normally seeded tourney..

harpuia190

Smash Ace
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, well i would have to say this, in any of our tournaments, Lada and I should have the exact same chances to fight David as i do Slave

and i agree with rankings should be influenced more by who you beat and who you lose too, we shuold try to keep track of those

lengeta

Smash Ace
I learned a little bit about seeding, and I've decided that actual seeding (where best plays worst, middle plays middle) is something that one needs to earn through a season of playoffs. In the past I know Nate has always tried to seed people against others they haven't played against, but it's a lot harder to do than it sounds and you're going to play the same people quite often, especially if you're better than a lot of other players.

We should have very few tournaments that are actually seeded for real like that (high plays low), and I'm pretty sure we're doing a pretty good job of that already. With someone constantly taking 1st like Dai-A, you're going to end up losing to him in a tournament more often than any other people. With each round you survive, half the people are out from the pool of people you can lose to. It's a window that shrinks really fast. You should keep a personal tally of who you've won and lost to in tournaments if you really want to push playing everyone in tournament. In real-world tournaments though, it's very common to play the exact same people over and over if the skill level between players doesn't change very often. The two best people will always be the last match in a real tournament.

slave1

Smash Lord
i like this round robin thing. you guys should do it at next months tourney. do round robin and come up with the final rankings. it would still be fun. and because of it it will set us up with a definite first second third we can still come up with the money to pay them.

but the good slave should still be second in power rankings

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Rankings are not determined by tourney placement but who and how well you beat to get that placing across many tourneys. That is the reason its far to early. My list was generated based on what I have seen so far in person at tournaments. Bruce has been removed because he has gone on a mission.

The best way to get a really good Idea is hold 2-3 Round robin tourneys since everyone would play everyone giving a 100% accurate rankings. Not seeding the bracket and making it random would be a bad idea for someone like X could possibly lose the first round and clean house against normal 4-5 spot takers and make them get a horribly placing compared to a normally seeded tourney..
you still never answered about Rade consttanly placing in that top 10 and can beat most people.

Say __ did play dai-a first round because the bracket wasn't seeded, the only person that he loses to constantly is dai-a so that means he plays his way through the losers bracket and plays dai-a in the finals. Thats what happenes anyway, Dai-a wins winners bracket, __ wins losers bracket, so this wouldn't mess with the top few places much if at all, and would help to get a better idea of who is in what places in the 5ish and below placings.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Not really. In that case, some better players could lose to someone good like Dia-A in winners, and end up facing ___ immediately in losers and lose, while lesser-skilled players could have it easier in the losers by playing other, lesser-skilled players.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
you still never answered about Rade consttanly placing in that top 10 and can beat most people.

Say __ did play dai-a first round because the bracket wasn't seeded, the only person that he loses to constantly is dai-a so that means he plays his way through the losers bracket and plays dai-a in the finals. Thats what happenes anyway, Dai-a wins winners bracket, __ wins losers bracket, so this wouldn't mess with the top few places much if at all, and would help to get a better idea of who is in what places in the 5ish and below placings.
That would only work consistently for 1st and 2nd place. 3rd could end up fighting 1st first round and then losing to 2nd way early in the losers bracket, resulting in 3rd getting way lower than 3rd place...

Also, I've beaten ____ in our last three money matches, four if you count our mario one. :)

harpuia190

Smash Ace
That would only work consistently for 1st and 2nd place. 3rd could end up fighting 1st first round and then losing to 2nd way early in the losers bracket, resulting in 3rd getting way lower than 3rd place...
thats happened to me once!

Junpappy

Smash Lord
The whole point of seeding is to ensure the most accurate results at the higher end of the skill spectrum, not cater to the lower ranked players by pitting the best players against each other in early rounds.

lengeta

Smash Ace
i like this round robin thing. you guys should do it at next months tourney. do round robin and come up with the final rankings. it would still be fun. and because of it it will set us up with a definite first second third we can still come up with the money to pay them.

but the good slave should still be second in power rankings
Round robins take a LONG time. We'd have to have everyone there the entire time playing tournament matches, and that kind of thing is really hard to keep organized. There's enough friendlies going on during double-elim tournys...

There is NO seeding that is good for determining the entire rankings, there's just good seeding for the top 5ish rankings. That's why there's a panel in place, so we don't have to cringe over perfect yet constantly different seeding, missing tournaments, doing exceptionally good or bad with friendlies, and so on and so forth.

harpuia190

Smash Ace
while its pretty obvious that round robin would take forever, i would still love to do one, i think it would be fun

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
That's because you've never been in a RR with 13 people. It gets pretty painful near the end (and only twice as many people would take 4 days instead of 1)

I really like how all of the more experienced players know what they are talking about well enough for me to never post in this thread. Apparently this has become the thread for new people to propose ideas that are either false or have been tried before and failed.

Anyone thought of doing the power rankings ELO style? Perfect accuracy really shouldn't matter much. I think layne wanted to do this initially, but I don't have the brackets for the first 2 MAs anymore, though :(

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Not really. In that case, some better players could lose to someone good like Dia-A in winners, and end up facing ___ immediately in losers and lose, while lesser-skilled players could have it easier in the losers by playing other, lesser-skilled players.

Also, I've beaten ____ in our last three money matches, four if you count our mario one. :)
The whole point of seeding is to ensure the most accurate results at the higher end of the skill spectrum, not cater to the lower ranked players by pitting the best players against each other in early rounds.
K I see what you guys are saying and your right lets seed it to work. Every tourny I see Gogira reseeds it after he see's he has a match against some1 he can't beat and doesn't look at how everyone else is seeded. I'm all for a good seeding not some bs one where one person in the tourny is seeding it for himself.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Guys i was just goofing. I dont know if your good or not. Relax.

And yes, texas is better than Utah.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Your about to look like a moron

i banned INFINITES.

not chain throws.......
Still, you are the ONLY one who has banned it out of the smash community from what I've heard. Seems pretty noobish to me... :laugh:

But honestly, I don't really care. I was just messing around.

Gojira

Smash Lord
Lol

Texas is nothing but **** talking like CO did before david owned their ***** in Brawl. They are only doing it to make us go "oh yeah lets go out to Texas to own them" Also, Texas has good Melee players and all the Texan no names attacking Utah are certainly not the ones that are good at Melee. So again Texas Trolls....GTFO

Top Bottom