• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Utah Power Rankings

laozy

Smash Journeyman
WOW, everything i wanted to say...tony said it all. its like hes a step ahead of me...no wonder i couldn't beat CO. :laugh: and not to mention the sun was in my eye. otherwise i would own
now as a promise to you my friend...I WILL TAKE FIRST IN ALL TOURNAMENT STARTING AUGUST 18TH. junpei will have to settle for 3rd because Khom is taking 2nd.

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
Khom is coming??? That would be sweet...
Haha zeal, I know what you're talking about with the shaking... adrenaline rushes ftw :D.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
You better own, Phil.

Bobo, the worst one was at OC3. My team partner had died, and I was Sheik vs Tavo (Tazo? Whatever, pretty decent Sheik player)'s Sheik and his partner's Marth (imposter professor BoA, haha). High damage all around, and if I lost, we weren't out of pools. Somehow, i managed to kill the Sheik, and, while I normally **** Marths with my Sheik, I was nervous as all hell, and playing really defensively. I killed him, and we were into the brackets. I was shaking so bad. The second time I had a 2v1 situation, I was nervous, but confident because of my win, so when I won, I wasn't shaking for a half-hour afterwards.

the Marronator

Smash Ace
Yo, utah, just stopping by to say hi. I wish I could play OOSers more XD Oh, and I also wanted to quote:
If you don't do well at the tournament, no johnz. Even on my most stressed out days, or days when I was sick, I didn't place below 4th, maybe 5th. My worst tournament placing (outside of OC3) was 7th. Reasoning? I was stupid, refused to take my matches seriously, and was arrogant. The resultant still haunts me today, because one of the people that beat me that day genuinely believes they can best me now, despite having lost to me in every tournament since.
Amazing post, tony! Definatly QFT

Gojira

Smash Lord
Originally Posted by InterimOfZeal View Post
If you don't do well at the tournament, no johnz. Even on my most stressed out days, or days when I was sick, I didn't place below 4th, maybe 5th. My worst tournament placing (outside of OC3) was 7th. Reasoning? I was stupid, refused to take my matches seriously, and was arrogant. The resultant still haunts me today, because one of the people that beat me that day genuinely believes they can best me now, despite having lost to me in every tournament since.T

Tony, off days occur.....I have seen many people dominate one tourney, then get simular opponets and suicide because of tech mistakes. Tech mistakes happen, and on off days they happen more then they do on none of days, makeing it hard to win. This can be seen well with falco and fox players. Hell even my bowser has an off day. I remember the first biweekly to kick off our biweeklies i think i got 12th or 11th, then to get top 5 the one after. OFF days exist tony, and i dont consider them a john.

C!Z

Smash Lord
I love how you say oh I was using Bowser and DK that's why I lost... Don't play the characters in tourney if you're not prepared to accept their weaknesses and John it when you lose talking about how bad they are. If you woulda beat me with those characters you would be hootin and hollerin. Bring the Sheik. Trust me knows Sheik can gay Sheik cuz that's all he tries to do in Sheik dittos.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Off days count just as much as good days do.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Off days DO occur, but you can still win when that happens. Admittedly, near the end of the most recent C3T, I did kinda lay down and die, but I didn't give up earlier in the day, despite having to deal with waaaaaaaaaay more drama than should have been present, being hungry as hell, and having heat exhaustion. I johned about them some, but in the end, it was all my fault for letting it get to me. Because of it, I lost to Sinz in tournament, which I felt shouldn't have happened (though I ♥ Sinz), and almost was knocked out right there. However, I refused to completely give in, and beat Erich as a result, simply because I refused to lose to him, and beat Kenny. I ran out of steam right when I got to LoVo, but I had placed 4th, despite having a "bad day".

Don't use off days as johns. Don't john about your controller, your character, anything. In the end, it's you that decides whether you're going to win or not, and how you're going to go about doing it. I've placed well with broken controllers (I was even using one at OC3), simply because I figured out what was wrong with them, and worked around it. No johnz for any times you didn't do well. It was your fault, and yours alone. Whoever beat you played better than you, and deserves recognition.

Off days don't count for ****. Relative or close friend die, and it's troubling you? Why are you playing the game in the first place, then? Sick? No johnz. Broken controller? Borrow someone elses, or learn to play without that button. Again, no johnz. Tired? Shoulda got more sleep, your fault again. No johnz. Play a crappy character? Hella no johnz. You do NOT see me using Ness or Roy in tournament, unless I'm sure I can win with them/I have no chance to win anyway.

NEVER hide behind your character. I had just as much experience playing Boozer as you did Marth, and I still took you down to one stock, beat you, then lost the last one because I stopped taking it seriously and chased shy guys.

See what I just did there? It's a john. Feels crappy having everything you did made pointless by one stupid phrase, huh? Both saying I don't play the character and I wasn't taking it seriously, whether true or not, are johnz. I should have won that set, but I was being stupid? Johnz. You won it, in the end, and that's all that matters. However, I'd advise you to train your Marth, cuz no sandbaggings next time we play. All 'dem shy guys are going to die. Still kinda a john.

So stop with the johnz. They're annoying, and just make you look scrubby as ****. Start taking responsibility for when you perform poorly, so that you can stand taller when you don't.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I won't reinsert that entire post into my post here, but I'll add my QFT to your words, IoZ. Everything is your own responsibility. Matches are binary: you either won or lost. If you hate losing for whatever reason, rectify those problems.

Gojira

Smash Lord
I love how you say oh I was using Bowser and DK that's why I lost... Don't play the characters in tourney if you're not prepared to accept their weaknesses and John it when you lose talking about how bad they are. If you woulda beat me with those characters you would be hootin and hollerin. Bring the Sheik. Trust me knows Sheik can gay Sheik cuz that's all he tries to do in Sheik dittos.
aks RA FTS PC and LAOZY, i was using them because i was getting them ready for OC3, trying to fix things with them C!Z. I have also talked to certain others who say if i warmed up my shiek prior tia a tourney you will NOT stand a chance.

So lets let the smashboards trash talk end until we meet in tourney again for thats not what this thread is for, thats what the utah thread is for XD.

Gojira

Smash Lord
Off days DO occur, but you can still win when that happens. Admittedly, near the end of the most recent C3T, I did kinda lay down and die, but I didn't give up earlier in the day, despite having to deal with waaaaaaaaaay more drama than should have been present, being hungry as hell, and having heat exhaustion. I johned about them some, but in the end, it was all my fault for letting it get to me. Because of it, I lost to Sinz in tournament, which I felt shouldn't have happened (though I ♥ Sinz), and almost was knocked out right there. However, I refused to completely give in, and beat Erich as a result, simply because I refused to lose to him, and beat Kenny. I ran out of steam right when I got to LoVo, but I had placed 4th, despite having a "bad day".

Don't use off days as johns. Don't john about your controller, your character, anything. In the end, it's you that decides whether you're going to win or not, and how you're going to go about doing it. I've placed well with broken controllers (I was even using one at OC3), simply because I figured out what was wrong with them, and worked around it. No johnz for any times you didn't do well. It was your fault, and yours alone. Whoever beat you played better than you, and deserves recognition.

Off days don't count for ****. Relative or close friend die, and it's troubling you? Why are you playing the game in the first place, then? Sick? No johnz. Broken controller? Borrow someone elses, or learn to play without that button. Again, no johnz. Tired? Shoulda got more sleep, your fault again. No johnz. Play a crappy character? Hella no johnz. You do NOT see me using Ness or Roy in tournament, unless I'm sure I can win with them/I have no chance to win anyway.

NEVER hide behind your character. I had just as much experience playing Boozer as you did Marth, and I still took you down to one stock, beat you, then lost the last one because I stopped taking it seriously and chased shy guys.

See what I just did there? It's a john. Feels crappy having everything you did made pointless by one stupid phrase, huh? Both saying I don't play the character and I wasn't taking it seriously, whether true or not, are johnz. I should have won that set, but I was being stupid? Johnz. You won it, in the end, and that's all that matters. However, I'd advise you to train your Marth, cuz no sandbaggings next time we play. All 'dem shy guys are going to die. Still kinda a john.

So stop with the johnz. They're annoying, and just make you look scrubby as ****. Start taking responsibility for when you perform poorly, so that you can stand taller when you don't.
OK so now ill just say...."i played poorly" because that doesnt sseem to be the john.

it does not matter the reason, you can be making tech mistakes just because you are off and you just cant play right...that happens. I guess you coudl call that just playing poorly....sounds better then off day.....

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Zack, the point is that everyone has a valid excuse for losing. In fact, it is important to be able to recognize why we lose. Believe it or not, some smashers have no clue why they lose, so they continue to lose not knowing how to improve. We all go through that phase where we explain our losses away because we know what went wrong. However, no amount of explaining changes the fact that we lost. Just think about what went wrong and try to fix it. You and I both willing play a low tier character as a main. I learned long ago to stop whining, "Well, your character is a much higher tier. So, your win doesn't mean all that much." On the contrary, I have invested a lot of time into my character (just as you have), so it is still impressive for people to defeat me, top tier or not, so I just say, "Good match!" Sure, it takes less work to win as a higher tier character, but that is OK.

Gojira

Smash Lord
Zack, the point is that everyone has a valid excuse for losing. In fact, it is important to be able to recognize why we lose. Believe it or not, some smashers have no clue why they lose, so they continue to lose not knowing how to improve. We all go through that phase where we explain our losses away because we know what went wrong. However, no amount of explaining changes the fact that we lost. Just think about what went wrong and try to fix it. You and I both willing play a low tier character as a main. I learned long ago to stop whining, "Well, your character is a much higher tier. So, your win doesn't mean all that much." On the contrary, I have invested a lot of time into my character (just as you have), so it is still impressive for people to defeat me, top tier or not, so I just say, "Good match!" Sure, it takes less work to win as a higher tier character, but that is OK.

when i lose i lost because i lost. RA and Laozy have bean beating me fair and square, i have no excuses....

im just saying, off days DO exist....you cannot always contrl it.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Sooo... WHEN ARE WE ARE GOING TO TEAM UP IN LOW TIER DOUBLES???

Gojira

Smash Lord
Rankings update

Coming after the sep15th tourney and let me tell you there are going to be some big changes just so everyone on the rankings knows. Show up at the next tourney and i mean HOW UP if you want to stay where you are.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Care to inform any of the other panelists what the changes are or are they changes to the list that you yourself are making? :laugh:

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
He means the next meeting will be after the next tournament. If you can't predict the rankings will change significantly then you haven't been paying attention lately :p

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I haven't been paying attention lately. Is my lovely #9 in danger? CURSE YOU, FALLEN PROPHET.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I thought being a panelist meant deciding, or at least debating, where everyone should be on the list and not guessing where people will move.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Double Post

I'd like to propose adding a member of Southern Utah to the Utah power rankings panelists.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
For anything, if someone from Southern Utah is to be in the panel, it should be you, AHotGreasedUpJigglyPuff 4 Luvin'. It'll be bad is Xsyven's in, as he'll be bias about his and FallenProphet's positioning in the rankings. :p

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I suggest you figure out a better system before Brawl comes out. I recommend using something similar to Google's PageRank system.

Gojira

Smash Lord
I'd like to propose adding a member of Southern Utah to the Utah power rankings panelists.
They do not attend enough utah tourneysd (cough ID cough) to be on the panel.

Buzz the system we have now is fine. Its how everyone does it. However i woudl still like you to tell me mroe about thsi google things.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I say we have a Colorado panelist, too. That'd be dope.

Unless it's Ferdi, then I'd be sad.

I say toss one of the SoUT players on the panel. They were rather close to your skill level (unlike Durango to Aurora, haha), and they may see some stuff you don't, given the distance you live apart.

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
Will it seems like they should be included on the panel because they are part of Utah and they do make an effort to go to tournments .

PS-at the time yamer and i wanted to be in your rankings we attended more tournaments then some of you regulars like c!z and RA and Phil and im sure if you checked the results from back when we were still going to your tournament you would see that and more that we "out attended", so don't use Idaho and not going to enough tournaments as a reason for not letting them on the panel Gojira.

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
Will it seems like they should be included on the panel because they are part of Utah and they do make an effort to go to tournments.
Since when does that alone mean someone deserves to be a panelist? Does going to idaho instead of a Utah tournament even count as making an effort?

Anyways, we already to talk to them and consider them for the power rankings. There's no point in making anyone from St. George a panelist because there's no possible input they could give the other panelists other than details of St. George smashers that don't change the rankings much if at all. We already consult them for what they could help us with, so what's the point?

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
I'm just saying that for how far away from everything they are the seem to try to stay involved with everything. And im not trying do start something just trying to stay in contact with my Utah bros. lol i wont put my ideas forward any more:psycho:

Icon_of_Sin

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if this has asked or answered somewhere else in this thread but how do the power rankings work? Would beating gojira be worth 20 points or something? I've just been curious...(feel free to ridicule me)

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Hahaha! Beating Gojira wouldn't be worth any points :laugh:

Power rankings are created by the panelists, based primarily on tournament results of each individual player, the panelists being listed on the first post.

YazYaz

Smash Apprentice
i won't be able to attend the sep 15 tourney but i'll go to other ones after. i'll be the only peach ranked :)

Top Bottom