• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Utah Power Rankings

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
...I believe I've beaten chao every time (90% sure of that)...
Are you sure you don't have Chao mistakened with someone else? Chao has only ranked 2nd or 3rd -- nothing lower. And as far as I can remember, the only players he has ever lost to in a Singles Tournament are FoxTheStampede, Rafa-Son, and myself.

And for the reason that Chao moved from 4th to 7th place, is solely due to the lack of attendance. As RagingAsian stated earlier, it is agreed, by the panelists, that if he attends and does well in the next tourny, that he'll regain his 4th place standing (I guess top-4 would count, as he is fighting to regain FOURTH).

Reasons for everyone have also been stated before.

PS: I'm having trouble with my computer being able to connect to the internet, so I may be rather absent from time to time.

Oh, and colored fonts don't necessary show "pretentious"-ness. As a friend of mine has said, "An avatar is a person's online face, and their font is their online personality." It also helps you locate your own posts quickly, making things like being able to quickly find out if there has been any posts after your most recent easier.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Haha, I still claim the coloured fonts are ghei, in general. Mainly because Drk. Peach annoys the hell out of me, and C!Z isn't doing too great of a job, either. I still luff PC, particularly with the post explanation. I just use my badass avatar for that, though. XD

Gojira

Smash Lord
I'm not sure what you mean. I think what you're saying is: We didn't post past 10th. However, we did go to 15, the last 5 just don't show. Is that right...?
If so, my questions still stand, don't they? Am I 11th or 15th, or even lower...?
If not, and you only went to 10 and you just suggested that you go to 15 but you never did, I gotcha. Still, why did you decide specifically that chao and xsyven should be above me? I can think of a few reasons but I would like to get it from the panel :)
i simlpy fogot about bobo lmfao my bad.

We have forgot one important thing, Xysven has not beaten bobo in any tourney to date.....and i also believe he gives Laozy a really hard time and even wins most the time we should take all that into consideration......

with xysven being 9th C!Z being tenth....i say bobo goes right udner C!Z.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
My playing turns into a freak accident every time I play Cdbobo. I think he knows Voodoo.

laozy

Smash Journeyman
i simlpy fogot about bobo lmfao my bad.

We have forgot one important thing, Xysven has not beaten bobo in any tourney to date.....and i also believe he gives Laozy a really hard time and even wins most the time we should take all that into consideration......

with xysven being 9th C!Z being tenth....i say bobo goes right udner C!Z.
wait wait...who gives me a hard time. the only person i have a hard time with is my girlfriend, ooooo

Cdbobo

Smash Journeyman
PC, by chao I mean the doc main. It's true, I could be confusing him with someone else.. but if he's the black-robed doc, I still maintain that I've never lost a set to him (although it usually is 2-1 and very close, so perhaps he did beat me once). Perhaps.. Soto? I get soto and chao mixed up. If chao is the falco player, I've never beat him :D. Also, me and phil haven't played in a tourney for a while now....
And yes. I do know voodoo. */me stabs an IC doll*

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Even our top ten don't attend every tournament.....it would be very difficult to place people beyond top ten when they only go to a tournament once every three months.

WOOOT!!! MORE FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTERS!!!

Junpappy

Smash Lord
We should all move into some apartment complex somewhere, or a dorm at the U!! That way we could smash every day!!!

...I can feel it. Cloud will be the next swordsman to be announced. Anyone want to make a bet?

/endspam

We seriously need to wait until after the September tournament before we can update again. One tournament shouldn't be enough to move someone's position.

laozy

Smash Journeyman
so are we doing that thing tony said about the money and the ranking. anywho, i think that we should have monthly ranking tournament. (tournament specifically for the rankings.) instead of waiting for updates after 2 tournaments or even wasting time counting tournament results in the past when we all suck.
maybe do free entry and pools. or 5 bucks and brackets. either way is fine. since its for the rankings, im sure people will try even though money is not involve.
if you guys are not scared of losing your spot and confident in your skills, you guys would agree.
well these are some of my random crazy/ good ideas.
edit: take 2 tournament results into account for the power rankings. (the most previous and the one before) those 2 should be good enough for a concrete ranking. up until the next tournament that is.
Phil's crazy ideas for the win!

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
I'd say we don't need a tournament just for ranking. Rankings aren't that important. It would be better to spend the time on some other type of tournament like low tier or crew battle practice (maybe even something completely new like 2v2 crews lol). Basing the rankings on a single tournament or two would also ruin the point of having a ranking in the first place.

Even if 2 tournaments was enough to get an accurate enough average, we need more tournaments to consider for rankings because we consider 15 people a "good" turnout -_- *hint hint*

laozy

Smash Journeyman
rankings are to see where everyone is at and what better to have it most recent. and i think it adds a little more competition to the community. lets discuss later on msn. i like your idea with the crew battle thing. hey for the next tournament, lets do a crew battle. 12 stock.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I would be fine with a rankings tournament as long as the results from the tournament dont become the new power rankings list. As long as its just a basis for power rankings discussion, maybe one that is taken more seriously than tournaments or something that accompanies power rankings discussion immediately after based on the tournament, I think it might be a good idea.

laozy

Smash Journeyman
i heart junpei and tony 4 agreeing
results does not = power ranking. Panelist should take more into consideration rather basing it on overrall past result. hoping it eliminates "i beat u last time" johns

lengeta

Smash Ace
Rankings open to discussion beats tournament position-based rankings ANY day.

I also think I'd be fun to try and have everyone in the community submit their own version of who the top ten should be, then the panelists could take the averages and have that be the rankings. Probly more work than it's worth, but still an idea...

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
...I can feel it. Cloud will be the next swordsman to be announced. Anyone want to make a bet?...
Considering how unlikely that is, the bet needs to have like a 1000 to 1 winning odds. If you win the bet, you get $1000 from the opponent, if you lose, you lose $1 to the opponent! LOL

And Phil, the only reason you would want to consider only the last TWO tournies for rankings is that you want an easier way to reach the top. With only the VERY RECENT tournies in consideration, people who CONSISTANTLY place high through the months have all their efforts wasted.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I agree that it shouldn't be based on only the last two tournaments (even though I don't think thats what Phil was insinuating) but would it be fair to say that a person who takes first place at tournaments for, say, 3 months in a row isn't number one on the power rankings because there's a person that has a longer track record, even though they lost to said person?

Power rankings should take into account consistency, but it should also not be about who HAS performed well, but rather who IS performing well.

lengeta

Smash Ace
Yeah, if someone beats whomever's ranked 1st in the rankings (PC) three times in a row, then it goes without saying they'll move up the the #1 spot. We don't need tournament results to tell us that though...

Gojira

Smash Lord
Very true

Considering how unlikely that is, the bet needs to have like a 1000 to 1 winning odds. If you win the bet, you get $1000 from the opponent, if you lose, you lose $1 to the opponent! LOL

And Phil, the only reason you would want to consider only the last TWO tournies for rankings is that you want an easier way to reach the top. With only the VERY RECENT tournies in consideration, people who CONSISTANTLY place high through the months have all their efforts wasted.
The problem with a ranking yourney is, what if FTS was to dominate two tournies prior to the ranking tourney then to be beaten by somone like C!Z bobo or even somone further down AT the ranking tourney? "OH FTS MOVES DOWN TWO SPOTS"!!!!

Ranking tournies can be a bad idea......say PC has an off day after doing good two tourneis before? These are really hard to do....I say we just do three tourneis then if everyone wants we can do a RR tourney. We would have that plus the prior tourneys to discuss in the next meeting.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
The problem with a ranking yourney is, what if FTS was to dominate two tournies prior to the ranking tourney then to be beaten by somone like C!Z bobo or even somone further down AT the ranking tourney? "OH FTS MOVES DOWN TWO SPOTS"!!!!

Ranking tournies can be a bad idea......say PC has an off day after doing good two tourneis before? These are really hard to do....I say we just do three tourneis then if everyone wants we can do a RR tourney. We would have that plus the prior tourneys to discuss in the next meeting.
No one is suggesting that we do a power rankings tournament in which the results BECOME the new list.

laozy

Smash Journeyman
what pc, are u scared of losing your spot or something. hahaha why are u so attached to that #1 spot...and its not like im going to win it or something. your 1st place winning was in the past...and recent tournament tell us more about where we all stand. by the way...i wasn't saying we should ONLY take 2 recent results..although it did sound like that. i was saying we should take recent 2 results and take that MORE into consideration than past results.

and i love laynes idea about the voting and beating pc 3 times thing. we should consider.
layne FTW once again.

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
RagingAsian said:
No one is suggesting that we do a power rankings tournament in which the results BECOME the new list.
That's not what Gojira was saying at all -_-. Placing more weight for the rankings on some arbitrary tourney just because is just stupid. We don't even need it. No single tourney is an accurate representation of one person's skill let alone everyone.

As for placing more weight on more recent tournies.........obviously......that doesn't change anything at all >_> I hope you've been doing that the whole time o_o

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I think Phil was just bringing that up because Gojira likes to take into account tournaments from 15 months ago to justify current power rankings positioning.

C!Z

Smash Lord
Just to clear a few things up, I 2 and 3 stocked your Bowser 2-0 both recent times that's trouble to you? I don't really care to argue anymore either but I'll guarantee victory against your Sheik as well. All I know is I'm much more improved and I'll show it at the upcoming tourneys and I don't wanna argue but in upcoming events my ranking and skill should be takin into more consideration. I hope I play Chao or Rafa since I've never played them in tourney for some reason, since there is no random seating though I'll be interested to see where I'm placed once again, which is usually in PC's bracket. Junbug you're a douche ;) You forgot my placing at Phils tourney. Zeal I have no beef with you but please don't talk shlt you really don't know me, and playin video games doesn't make you a nerd.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Ranking tournaments are stupid.

What if you're not able to make it? Say, because you lived four hours away?

Gojira

Smash Lord
I think Phil was just bringing that up because Gojira likes to take into account tournaments from 15 months ago to justify current power rankings positioning.
15 months is insane......I looked about 6 months into the past.....thank you very much...

and C!Z you did not 2-3 stock my bowser 2-0 both times......

ill do a runby of our past matches.

fiirst match,

DK vs shiek
I take you down to the last stock.....this was a very close match

*I counter pick yoshis story*

Bowser vs Shiek
I suicide twice, but still manage to keep it to a 2 stock

Next tourney

I dont recall the first match but i do think you actualy dominated me

*I counterpick YS again*

Bowser vs shiek

I dominate the entire match up until i try to wavedash to grab the ledge and suicide when you had at least 20% on you and i had none.

C!Z looks to me like you only 3 stocked my bowser once (estimating it to be the match i dont remember). I hope you are ready for my shiek. My bowser getting you down to one stock is good because its BOWSER vs shiek. When i use shiek i am not limited by bowser crappy everything, so good luck =P

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Haha, jira, you know that Sheik can gay Sheik, too, right? You better be ready to play cheaper than you ever have before if you want to win a Sheik ditto, seriously. They're fun, but it's dirty.

EDIT: More garbage for you to read!

He'd have to be 2-0'ed by all of them. The RR is the best way to really see how someone stands up to the pressure of playing EVERYONE. It's good for smaller scenes, such as CO and UT, especially since some people tend to click and form their own opinions, some of which are horribly inaccurate.

If you don't do well at the tournament, no johnz. Even on my most stressed out days, or days when I was sick, I didn't place below 4th, maybe 5th. My worst tournament placing (outside of OC3) was 7th. Reasoning? I was stupid, refused to take my matches seriously, and was arrogant. The resultant still haunts me today, because one of the people that beat me that day genuinely believes they can best me now, despite having lost to me in every tournament since. I can john all I want, and so could anyone who does horribly at this, but in the end, it's YOUR fault, not anyone or anything else's, that you did poorly.

C!Z, my nerd retort was mainly of the same nature as yours: one sparked by frustration, and maybe a little ignorance.

Jira, 6 months is an incredibly long time to use for comparison. There are so many people I used to best easily long ago when all of Colorado sucked (and not just me, lulz) that I actually take seriously for tournaments now. Don't use comparisons from half a year ago, that's obscene.

Xsyven, since it's a RR, you can play everyone at different dates, or even over a period of time (shouldn't be more than 2 weeks from the tournament's start, though), you just won't be able to compete for cash.

Honestly, you could use it as the end-all-be-all for rankings, or as a basis to decide. I frequently find that the people unwilling to do these, however, are those that are scared of what might happen to them, and are lacking in confidence pertaining to their skills. Or people that are just generally lazy.

Phil and Junpei, start taking 1st and 2nd at every tournament, I'm rooting for you guys! Jira, if you're going to pick up a high tier, pick up Marth, he's about teh spacing and ledgeguarding, just like Bowser. Or, make sure to actually train your Sheik, lest you get *****, because Sheik is easy to **** when she's on auto-pilot! PC... Keep it up, mangz! St. George smashers, if Phil and Junpei aren't taking first and second, you two better be! FTS, play moooooooooooore! I want to see if your Fox lives up to the hype! Layne, have my babies! Or let me have yours! Everyone I forgot... Yell at me!

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I was stupid, refused to take my matches seriously, and was arrogant.
:laugh: That reminds of that one match at UST3 where you were playing a Falco ditto (in tournament brackets, mind you). You were short-hop lasering when you accidentally used Falco's forward-B off the edge. It was your last life, but thankfully your opponent knicked you, thus saving you from an inevitable doom. I almost died laughing when I saw that. You almost screwed yourself over while giving lessons to an inexperienced smasher. You screamed so loud when you saw it happen.

Top Bottom