• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Matchup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Not necessarily, MetaKnight should be discussed in a seperate week all by himself, and when alot of people are around. So doing things that aern't that hard should come first. Metaknight isn't Olimar's biggest tourney threat. I'd raver fight 3 good MK's, than 3 good Peach's.

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
Not necessarily, MetaKnight should be discussed in a seperate week all by himself, and when alot of people are around. So doing things that aern't that hard should come first. Metaknight isn't Olimar's biggest tourney threat. I'd raver fight 3 good MK's, than 3 good Peach's.
thats true, peach is a ***** >_<
but its either fight d-airs, or fight gimps ;_;

Denti

Smash Master
what i know about luigi! (the luigi forums don't have an olimar guid so idk what they fear most out of olimar, i'd asume grabs)

luigi's nair stops i believe every Upsmash mabye except yellows... i'd hafta check that but luigi's has the ADV pretty much all the time unless olimar has a good campy possition.

if your being pressured by a luigi in the air best thing to do is distance and avoid imo. unless you can Uair... but Uair means you can already plant yourself on the ground and position.

the worst situation for luigi is to be grabbed. watch your pikmin to make sure your grab range will be suitable for the situation.

i believe luigi's strategy is he will asualt you from the air and catch you doing a Upsmash and Nair to punish you. what you should do is camp, pressure, then wtahc him in the air.... make sure your distanced correctly and grab him, pivot grab or normal grab either will be great but once luigi is in the air you can space yourself to grab him... just don't get hit

luigi is also going to be very hard to fight off the stage. so when you get hit off the stage and try to recover best bet is to use your C-stick or whistle to rotate thru your pikmin to find a purple and throw a purple prefectly so he wouldnt be able to edge hog you. but if he asults you in the air general Uair cuz its a huge hitbox and priority. just make sure you have thre right pikmin to Uair... dont be dumb and think a white would be a good idea. but luigis will get cocky and genrally asualt you in the air off the stage. don't aproach him, instead Upspecial to grab the ledge if your positioned correctly. so in other words you can be a little above the stage and farly far out. its a good mind game to pressure onl luigi's

thats all i really know on luigi. i can post videos of me fighting a very experienced luigi in like a week to show more on what i mean but idk if that'll be soon enough.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
I think because priority is a big issue with olimar we should try to have information on what attacks go through what moves with matchups XD.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Code:
               Hitlag         Shield Stun
Red            10             14
Yellow         8              12
Blue           9              13
White          6              6
Purple         9              14
Translation:
[Collapse=Frame Advantage]
Code:
               Frame Advantage
Red            -4
Yellow         -4
Blue           -4
White          -8
Purple         -3
[/Collapse]
This is assuming that you land IMMEDIATELY after hitlag ends, which is extremely hard and unlikely. You usually won't be right next to the ground when the fair connects with a shield. So, add 1 frame for every frame you're still stuck in the air. For instance, if you hit a shield with a Red Fair, and you land 3 frames later (in which you're stuck in the air for two frames), you get 2 less frame advantage (-6 instead of -4).​

kaos smasher

Smash Rookie
well sorry for bumping or wtv but ive played skys peach 3 times and lost 1 time at the winter game fest at ucsd. he said i played a different olimar from the rest but i feel like i do play the same as everyone else. i used the up B alot more cuz her **** floaty power =P
but yea my names Kaos and if i played you b4 plz add =]

Wtfwasthat

Smash Journeyman
If you guys want to fight a luigi just to help with the matchup, i can help. I dont think i am that great but pretty decent overall, if anyone wants to brawl, send me a message please =]

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
I think the problem is that everyone has a matchup they "want" to discuss.
Naturally, these matchups are ones that we know little about.

Maybe we should start with what matchups we CAN discuss, rather than which ones we WANT to discuss.

On that note, I'm new here. I just recently started using Olimar after taking a break from Brawl for the summer. I'm looking forward to contributing to the boards and hopefully being a successful Olimar.

I live just north of Dallas, Texas, so I have a large community of good players to get matchup experience from. Right now I've been most heavily playing Wario with a bit of Snake, Diddy, Falco, and MK.

I think we should take a poll on what matchups we CAN discuss, and go from there.

Noa.

Smash Master
Sure, we'll take a poll or something.

But until Hilt finishes the current matchups, we're stuck with Diddy and Pika.

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
Sure, we'll take a poll or something.

But until Hilt finishes the current matchups, we're stuck with Diddy and Pika.
Sounds good.

For Diddy matchups, I prefer to play super patient and try to steal a banana from him as opposed to trying to rush him down before he can pull bananas.
Denying Diddy his banana control seems to be key. Whenever I'm running away with a banana and he gets it back from me, it's usually the start of something pretty painful.

If you want to use bananas against Diddy, I find that Z dropping tends to be the most surprising for Diddy mains. It also helps Oli get back to the ground if you happen to be midair w/ a banana.

I like to hold on banana at a time, and try to put myself in situations where I can throw the banana off the level AND grab the new one if he produces his second banana. This way we keep things to a 1 banana max.

Depending on when this discussion ends, I might be able to get some more input before we're done. I hope this input was useful.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
"Hilt" cannot finish the Diddy Kong matchup by himself, considering it's the discussion of the matchup. The pikachu matchup discussion is pretty much done, though. I'm considering leaving the Diddy Kong Matchup unfinished, while finishing the Pikachu Matchup. Doing so would allow for later discussion of the diddy matchup until the discussion is over. The reason I'd rather do this is because there's a few olimars that I would like to comment into the thread (such as rich brown) who have a lot of knowledge in the matchup.

So if we were to end the pikachu matchup, what would you all like to be the new one?

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
I vote Meta Knight.

I also vote we go in order of the tier list
I would be able to contribute a little bit to the MK matchup.

I don't think we should "decide" on an order yet. I think for closing of each discussion, like now, we cast our votes for who should be discussed next, and just repeat that process.

IMO matchup threads as a whole are lacking because it seems like most are unfinished. For this reason, I think we should progress in an order that gets us contributions and results. This way, we don't waste time discussing matchups that no one knows.

I can contribute to: Wario and MK at this time, and I have local access to many characters.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
If I manage to find out about an entire new way to approach the MK matchup, I might consider using Olimar against MK again. As it stands though, my new MK does considerably better, and that's without much MK ditto experience. Makes me sad. :(

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
If I manage to find out about an entire new way to approach the MK matchup, I might consider using Olimar against MK again. As it stands though, my new MK does considerably better, and that's without much MK ditto experience. Makes me sad. :(
My secondary is Lucas, so that doesn't help me much either... lol

EDIT: *just realized there is a separate thread per character*
*feels extra dumb*

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
alpha u play oli!? sweet :D welcome back! i just started oli to ^^; i hope we play sometime :)
and yes i agree we should do the matchups we mostly know best

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
im the really skiny white boy hows not saying anything lol

the match up i know best so far is the IC's ^^;
and i know the lucario match up a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom