• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Matchup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Olimar beats ROB Like 60-40. I'm not telling you guys why though. I've said it around the forums every now and then, but I'd rather not make it public knowledge so Olimars start destroying me lol.

Denti

Smash Master
Squirtle is hard! pokemon trainers should just get that idea and keep using him LOL they should never pull out charzard but whatever they are pokemon trainers

Noa.

Smash Master
Most pokemon trainers these days do focus on Squirtle. They skip over Ivy if they can. Most people consider Charizard to be better than Ivy.

Llumys

Smash Champion
Anyone who knows what they're talking about knows Charizard is better than Ivysaur.

Anyway, don't let a Pokémon Trainer bring you to Smashville. They can switch without lag by edgecanceling downb on the moving platform.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
ummm Ivysaur's terrible >.>

Candidate for worst character in the game alongside falcon and ganon and maybe link.
Ever heard of "Ivysaur Canceling"? Doing whatever possible to play Ivysaur as little as possible?

It actually makes me sad because she's my favorite of the three to play :(
And Trainer was the first character I wanted to main but he's so bad @_@

But yeah, Charizard and Squirtle are much much better than Ivy, but she does have a few things going for her.

Fino

Smash Master
After giving this a lot of thought, these are my opinions on match-up ratios. This is based off of personal experience, and doesn't factor in old stigmas on match-ups. Rather, I tried to focus on olimar's meta-game and how I feel olimar performs given the tools he has to fight with. Match-ups the others have posted I think have been a bit lenient and forget what ratios and numbers actually account for.
Additionally, before I start, this is also my own personal "radical view" (as some of you might call it) on match-ups. I will be glad to argue anything in here... I can't know everything. In fact, there are surely things that I missed so I urge you to do so (for the best of everyone).

60:40 Soft Counter - These characters cover several options and advantages over olimar that counter options have yet to be discovered, or rather difficult and unorthodox to pull off at the time being. These characters will, on average, out class olimar on the battlefield in terms of ability to approach and defend. The match-up is still winnable, but it takes a lot more focus and effort to do so than an even match-up.
Marth

55:45 Small Advantage - These characters don't quite fit the criteria of a soft counter, yet still have several gimmicks or minor advantages over olimar. While they cover some options on olimar, he has counter options and gimmicks that can tip the balance of battle in his favor. These options; however, are not enough to tip the favor of the match-up to even (yet). Thus characters in this category will give olimar a little bit of difficulty, but with smart and strategic play, the game is far from un-winnable.
Luigi

In between / undecided
Peach - while I feel peach is an easier match-up than luigi, I don't quite feel like we can say it's even just yet. As of right now I'm leaning more towards even than I am small advantage, but at the same time peach does have the options and mobility of the small advantage category. The reason she isn't in the small advantage category is solely based off the fact that luigi is a harder match-up and that olimar has a few more (very minor) counter strategies. The reason she isn't considered even is because she gives more difficult time than characters suggested in the even category, meanwhile olimar doesn't cover as many options against peach as he does in characters listed in even. As you can see it's very hard for me to decide at this point, so I'm very open and willing to debate on this.

50:50 Even - Characters in this category have just as many advantageous options as they do weak spots or counter strategies. An even match-up is defined by each character having just as much advantage as the other character. These characters often fight for doing the same thing as olimar needs to do to win. For example, there may be a battle for stage control - which ever person has stage control is in the advantage of the game, while as soon as they lose it they are at an equal disadvantage that olimar was at the time - each character having an equal rate of gaining stage control from the other. The matches between these characters can often be seen as "**** or get *****" meanwhile can also be very close.
Diddy Kong
Mr. Game and Watch
Meta Knight
Snake

In between / undecided
Ice Climbers - Olimar has vast and plenty options to cover Ice Climbers from landing the grab. Ice Climbers also have that de-synced blizzard. If olimar makes that one mistake he loses a stock. Taking CG's out of consideration, olimar does fairly well against them. Factoring in the grabs makes the match way to random to predict a match by numbers, given that they carry 1 advantage over us already. In a perfect olimar scenario, olimar handles the blizzard well, and spaces attacks so that he doesn't get grabbed forcing the IC's to kill with something else. On the other hand, in a perfect IC scenario, they blizzard through olimar's attacks, powershield some pikmin here and there or catch eye and anticipate a laggy landing and take a stock. Knowing that no one is perfect, it seems like a constant battle between these two. While olimar can fend off the IC's better than other characters.. you still have to consider that you're going to get punished a lot harder for making a mistake =-/
In this match-up I'm leaning more towards small advantage than I am even... but it's hard to do that knowing you have a chance of losing a stock every time you make a mistake.

55:45 Small advantage - These characters aren't quite even, yet we don't **** them hard enough (yet). In this case, olimar has a few minor advantages that help tip the odds in his favor. While these characters are still developing counter strategies to what we do to them, at this point we still come out ahead, but not by much. Characters in this category won't be as variable or hard as an even match-up, but also won't be a cake walk either.
Donkey Kong
Lucario
Falco
Toon Link
Wario
Yoshi

In between / undecided
Squirtle - squirtle is nothing more than a skinny wario that can't fart. He has vastly less kill power and is considerably lighter. if you camp like a *****, squirtle will start having fatigue by the time you're in kill range (completely doable too *looks a m2k* *smirk*) giving him even more trouble. He also dies at like 60-70% to a purple usmash. So while we may have trouble hitting him, our fewer hits are going to average out to his hit barrages in terms of kill potential. The advantage squirtle has over us is his speed and his aerial and ground dominance. While he can be a nasty little turtle, in the long run of playing pokemon trainer, you can out last squirtle and kill him at 1/2 the % he can kill at. I hate saying this.... but I'm also factoring that squirtle is held back in the fact that he is followed by ivysaur. Though it doesn't affect the squirtle MU at all, It's hard treating a character as one when you know they are force linked together. At some point ivysaur HAS to come out... and how you cap on that can determine your overall victory against PT.

60:40 Soft Counter - Olimar will do, on average, better against these characters than those listed above. While some of these characters may have 1 or 2 solid moves that beat olimar, the options and strategies olimar can employ hurt them a lot harder. Olimar also has a lot of counter strategies to what these character must do to win, and thus puts him at a better standpoint when fighting.
Fox
Kirby
Mario
Ness
Pikachu
Pit
R.O.B
Samus

In between / undecided
King DDD - uhhh lol... I'm not sure ^^;

65:35 Advantaged - These characters don't have a whole lot against olimar other than scoring a few hits here and there, and win based off of a greater kill potential / survival ratio. For the most part olimar wrecks on these characters and can vary in counter strategy while still being safe and taking away their options. Olimar should generally do well against these characters.
Charizard
Ike
Jiggly Puff
Link
Lucas
Zelda

70:30 Counter - These are characters that don't stand much of a chance at beating olimar... at all. Olimar covers every single option these characters in multiple ways. The skill of the opponent has to be vastly greater than the olimar to win. These characters win based off the amount of mistakes you make or their ability to mindgame you into their attacks. This isn't completely un-winnable... but it's pretty **** close.
Captain Falcon

75+ Free win - Pretty much as the title describes. As the title describes, in theory, olimar does so well against these characters that there shouldn't be a shatter of doubt that he will win. If the opponent scores an attack, you made such a stupid mistake that you deserved to get hit. This is pretty much all hyperbolized... but you get the point ;)
Ganon

Un-mentioned characters - These are characters I either don't have enough experience against or flat out no one I know mains these characters so there's no way I can tell ._.

Bowser
Ivysaur
Sheik
Sonic
Zero Suit Samus

*holds up flame shield*

~Fino

Noa.

Smash Master
After giving this a lot of thought, these are my opinions on match-up ratios. This is based off of personal experience, and doesn't factor in old stigmas on match-ups. Rather, I tried to focus on olimar's meta-game and how I feel olimar performs given the tools he has to fight with. Match-ups the others have posted I think have been a bit lenient and forget what ratios and numbers actually account for.
Additionally, before I start, this is also my own personal "radical view" (as some of you might call it) on match-ups. I will be glad to argue anything in here... I can't know everything. In fact, there are surely things that I missed so I urge you to do so (for the best of everyone).

60:40 Soft Counter - These characters cover several options and advantages over olimar that counter options have yet to be discovered, or rather difficult and unorthodox to pull off at the time being. These characters will, on average, out class olimar on the battlefield in terms of ability to approach and defend. The match-up is still winnable, but it takes a lot more focus and effort to do so than an even match-up.
Marth

55:45 Small Advantage - These characters don't quite fit the criteria of a soft counter, yet still have several gimmicks or minor advantages over olimar. While they cover some options on olimar, he has counter options and gimmicks that can tip the balance of battle in his favor. These options; however, are not enough to tip the favor of the match-up to even (yet). Thus characters in this category will give olimar a little bit of difficulty, but with smart and strategic play, the game is far from un-winnable.
Luigi

In between / undecided
Peach - while I feel peach is an easier match-up than luigi, I don't quite feel like we can say it's even just yet. As of right now I'm leaning more towards even than I am small advantage, but at the same time peach does have the options and mobility of the small advantage category. The reason she isn't in the small advantage category is solely based off the fact that luigi is a harder match-up and that olimar has a few more (very minor) counter strategies. The reason she isn't considered even is because she gives more difficult time than characters suggested in the even category, meanwhile olimar doesn't cover as many options against peach as he does in characters listed in even. As you can see it's very hard for me to decide at this point, so I'm very open and willing to debate on this.

50:50 Even - Characters in this category have just as many advantageous options as they do weak spots or counter strategies. An even match-up is defined by each character having just as much advantage as the other character. These characters often fight for doing the same thing as olimar needs to do to win. For example, there may be a battle for stage control - which ever person has stage control is in the advantage of the game, while as soon as they lose it they are at an equal disadvantage that olimar was at the time - each character having an equal rate of gaining stage control from the other. The matches between these characters can often be seen as "**** or get *****" meanwhile can also be very close.
Diddy Kong
Mr. Game and Watch
Meta Knight
Snake

In between / undecided
Ice Climbers - Olimar has vast and plenty options to cover Ice Climbers from landing the grab. Ice Climbers also have that de-synced blizzard. If olimar makes that one mistake he loses a stock. Taking CG's out of consideration, olimar does fairly well against them. Factoring in the grabs makes the match way to random to predict a match by numbers, given that they carry 1 advantage over us already. In a perfect olimar scenario, olimar handles the blizzard well, and spaces attacks so that he doesn't get grabbed forcing the IC's to kill with something else. On the other hand, in a perfect IC scenario, they blizzard through olimar's attacks, powershield some pikmin here and there or catch eye and anticipate a laggy landing and take a stock. Knowing that no one is perfect, it seems like a constant battle between these two. While olimar can fend off the IC's better than other characters.. you still have to consider that you're going to get punished a lot harder for making a mistake =-/
In this match-up I'm leaning more towards small advantage than I am even... but it's hard to do that knowing you have a chance of losing a stock every time you make a mistake.

55:45 Small advantage - These characters aren't quite even, yet we don't **** them hard enough (yet). In this case, olimar has a few minor advantages that help tip the odds in his favor. While these characters are still developing counter strategies to what we do to them, at this point we still come out ahead, but not by much. Characters in this category won't be as variable or hard as an even match-up, but also won't be a cake walk either.
Donkey Kong
Lucario
Falco
Pit
Toon Link
Wario
Yoshi

In between / undecided
Squirtle - squirtle is nothing more than a skinny wario that can't fart. He has vastly less kill power and is considerably lighter. if you camp like a *****, squirtle will start having fatigue by the time you're in kill range (completely doable too *looks a m2k* *smirk*) giving him even more trouble. He also dies at like 60-70% to a purple usmash. So while we may have trouble hitting him, our fewer hits are going to average out to his hit barrages in terms of kill potential. The advantage squirtle has over us is his speed and his aerial and ground dominance. While he can be a nasty little turtle, in the long run of playing pokemon trainer, you can out last squirtle and kill him at 1/2 the % he can kill at. I hate saying this.... but I'm also factoring that squirtle is held back in the fact that he is followed by ivysaur. Though it doesn't affect the squirtle MU at all, It's hard treating a character as one when you know they are force linked together. At some point ivysaur HAS to come out... and how you cap on that can determine your overall victory against PT.

60:40 Soft Counter - Olimar will do, on average, better against these characters than those listed above. While some of these characters may have 1 or 2 solid moves that beat olimar, the options and strategies olimar can employ hurt them a lot harder. Olimar also has a lot of counter strategies to what these character must do to win, and thus puts him at a better standpoint when fighting.
Fox
Kirby
Mario
Ness
Pikachu
R.O.B
Samus

In between / undecided

65:35 Advantaged - These characters don't have a whole lot against olimar other than scoring a few hits here and there, and win based off of a greater kill potential / survival ratio. For the most part olimar wrecks on these characters and can vary in counter strategy while still being safe and taking away their options. Olimar should generally do well against these characters.
Charizard
Ike
Jiggly Puff
Link
Lucas
Zelda

70:30 Counter - These are characters that don't stand much of a chance at beating olimar... at all. Olimar covers every single option these characters in multiple ways. The skill of the opponent has to be vastly greater than the olimar to win. These characters win based off the amount of mistakes you make or their ability to mindgame you into their attacks. This isn't completely un-winnable... but it's pretty **** close.
Captain Falcon

75+ Free win - Pretty much as the title describes. As the title describes, in theory, olimar does so well against these characters that there shouldn't be a shatter of doubt that he will win. If the opponent scores an attack, you made such a stupid mistake that you deserved to get hit. This is pretty much all hyperbolized... but you get the point ;)
Ganon

Un-mentioned characters - These are characters I either don't have enough experience against or flat out no one I know mains these characters so there's no way I can tell ._.

Bowser
Ivysaur
Sheik
Sonic
Zero Suit Samus

*holds up flame shield*

~Fino
I agree completely with the defintions presented for the ratios. The meanings behind ratios must be set in stone before people can properly decide on a matchup ratio.

Onto the matchups themselves. I'll only mention a few.

Luigi is just as hard as Marth, if not harder. He has too much on Oli. He shutdowns a lot of Oli's usual strengths and abuses our weaknesses.

Peach is 60:40 as well. She's exactly like Luigi, except that she substitutes kill power with gimping.

Snake is slightly in our advantage, MK is >.>, and G&W is slightly in our advantage as well. Snake and G&W have difficulty approaching, even if only slightly.

I haven't fought any decent Pits, but I'd like to know how Pit isn't more disadvantaged. Not disagreeing, just wondering.

I agree with everything else for the most part.

Fino

Smash Master
I agree completely with the defintions presented for the ratios. The meanings behind ratios must be set in stone before people can properly decide on a matchup ratio.

Onto the matchups themselves. I'll only mention a few.

Luigi is just as hard as Marth, if not harder. He has too much on Oli. He shutdowns a lot of Oli's usual strengths and abuses our weaknesses.

Peach is 60:40 as well. She's exactly like Luigi, except that she substitutes kill power with gimping.

Snake is slightly in our advantage, MK is >.>, and G&W is slightly in our advantage as well. Snake and G&W have difficulty approaching, even if only slightly.

I haven't fought any decent Pits, but I'd like to know how Pit isn't more disadvantaged. Not disagreeing, just wondering.

I agree with everything else for the most part.
I put marth on a higher section only because there are more counter strategies in olimar's metagame to playing against luigi/peach than there is marth. In my opinion marth has a lock down on most of what we can do. For the most part we've always focused on getting better at the peach and luigi MU, and we've done a fantastic job IMO. But we've ignored marth for the most part... and he's only gotten better <.<
Also... gimping = :( it shouldn't happen THAT often.
I'm hesitant to put snake in our advantage until we get more progress on the snake discussion. Although, I do somewhat agree with you. With nade pulls and backairs... olimar can't really get that EARLY EARLY kill that makes him deadly - meanwhile snake is full of ko potential <.< It's something that would be fun to talk and discuss in the chat :)
Also... we have just as difficult time approaching as they do, but we can moot my point for now as it's always backed by the "why does olimar need to approach?" lol. Oh well ^^;

Pit was tricky. I'm a bit bias by playing a lot of good pits. I definitely think it's our favor... I'm completely fine with moving her down to soft counter though. I think I was over estimating his ability to juggle and her options to get olimar in the air for juggling.

I tried to factor in a lot of things when determining really upheld match-ups, though some were half cooked. To be honest, this is something I'm quite interested in fully developing, so I'm more than happy to give my full thoughts on characters match-ups if you're willing to give a list of their options and advantages over olimar (or the other way around if you think someone should be lower) or in other words, why you think they shouldn't be placed where they're at. Just give me time and... not all at once ^^;
Nevermind. Hilt, you can read what I wrote, lol.
I want to know what you said =/

~Fino

Llumys

Smash Champion
Large Disadvantage (35:65 or worse)
Luigi

Disadvantage (40:60)
Meta Knight
Marth

Small Disadvantage (45:55)
Peach
Squirtle

Even (50:50)
Snake
Wario
Falco
Diddy Kong
Mr. Game & Watch
Pikmin & Olimar
Ice Climbers
Zero Suit Samus

Small Advantage (55:45)
King Dedede
Pikachu
Lucario
Toon Link
Pit
Donkey Kong
Fox
Wolf
Sheik

Advantage (60:40)
R.O.B.
Kirby
Sonic
Pokémon Trainer
Mario
Ness
Yoshi
Samus

Large Advantage (65:35 or better)
Bowser
Zelda
Charizard
Ike
Ivysaur
Lucas
Jigglypuff
Captain Falcon
Link
Ganondorf

Fino

Smash Master
this thread just now killed all my expectations of the olimar boards for years to come...
Useless post was useless dabuz, thanks for stopping by. Also, if you won't take the time to explain your reasons, then there's no point in arguing your list. I can say "I feel that mk should be 70-30 olimar"... what logical basis does that have.... at all????

~Fino

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I want to know what you said =/
Useless post was useless dabuz, thanks for stopping by. Also, if you won't take the time to explain your reasons, then there's no point in arguing your list. I can say "I feel that mk should be 70-30 olimar"... what logical basis does that have.... at all????
This basically. Let's just say I disagree with you and I don't have the time to post why. Next 2 days I have to write a paper and study for two midterms.

Fino

Smash Master
This basically. Let's just say I disagree with you and I don't have the time to post why. Next 2 days I have to write a paper and study for two midterms.
I posted clear reasons to why each character was put in the category. If you think they have more (or less) gimmicks and strategies that can be applied against olimar (or olimar against them) then list which ones you feel should move :)
School comes first though ;) At least give me a couple characters so I can mull things over before your post :D

~Fino

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Meta Knight, Luigi, Squirtle, Samus, Zelda, and Ice Climbers just to name a few off the top of my head.

edit: also, I won't say for certain that I'll respond to another post. Maybe someone else will.

Fino

Smash Master

Marth

Luigi

In between / undecided

Diddy Kong
Mr. Game and Watch
Meta Knight
Snake
Squirtle

In between / undecided

Donkey Kong
Lucario
Falco
Toon Link
Wario
Yoshi

Fox
Kirby
Mario
Ness
Pikachu
Pit
R.O.B
Samus

In between / undecided

Charizard
Ike
Jiggly Puff
Link
Lucas

Captain Falcon

Ganon
Zelda

Bowser
Ivysaur
Sheik
Sonic
Zero Suit Samus

*holds up flame shield*

~Fino
Squirtle switched to 50:50 and Zelda 75+ after debating on the oli chat. Let's keep it going guys =]

~Fino

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Regular matchup discussions will be conducted via aim chat. Logs will be saved. We tried doing so late last night and it went well, and will end up doing so somewhat regularly.. I suggest anyone that has an opinion to make, or those like me that strongly, strongly, disagree with Fino's matchup list, participate and let me know that you're interested.

Also, Fino, I think it would be a good start if you contributed in the snake discussion, and explain why it's 60:40 our advantage.
Here's the link http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=248877

Reviving the Ness matchup thread and explaining why we beat him 60:40 would be great as well.
Here's the link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=248877

Fino

Smash Master
Regular matchup discussions will be conducted via aim chat. Logs will be saved. We tried doing so late last night and it went well, and will end up doing so somewhat regularly.. I suggest anyone that has an opinion to make, or those like me that strongly, strongly, disagree with Fino's matchup list, participate and let me know that you're interested.

Also, Fino, I think it would be a good start if you contributed in the snake discussion, and explain why it's 60:40 our advantage.
Here's the link http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=248877

Reviving the Ness matchup thread and explaining why we beat him 60:40 would be great as well.
Here's the link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=248877
I said it was even for snake .-.
I'll write stuff when I get the time i guess. Isn't the ness discussion well over though?

~Fino

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard

I said it was even for snake .-.
I'll write stuff when I get the time i guess. Isn't the ness discussion well over though?

~Fino
If it's over, why didn't you contribute much? Reviving it isn't a problem at all. If you think it's wrong and the thread has been created, post in it and we'll rediscuss it. It's not that old after all.

Noa.

Smash Master
Do these aim chats happen randomly, or are they set up ahead of time?

I don't get on aim much, but I guess I will if I have to.

mib004

Smash Ace
I've only played 2 Ness's worth talking about and can't even remembr their names >.<
I never understood in what way we lost the match - up, or maybe they were doing everything wrong, because only 1 match was difficult and I blame that on the stage.

whoa u played my ness

Denti

Smash Master
I can get AIM i guess lol, but when are the times and stuff? i don't want to stalk AIM waiting for oli discusions hahaha

but i hafta say idk about 60/40 snake. but mabye thats not me knowing the matchup really good, grenades like **** me.. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom