• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
@ ImaClubYou ImaClubYou Hyper Voice is stronger than Moon blast. unless you are hoping to lower the opponent's sp atk with that 30% chance..
also hoping Salamance doesn't get ES tbh I think that it'll be sent to UBERS if it did

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
@ ImaClubYou ImaClubYou Hyper Voice is stronger than Moon blast. unless you are hoping to lower the opponent's sp atk with that 30% chance..
also hoping Salamance doesn't get ES tbh I think that it'll be sent to UBERS if it did
Indeed.

I have to agree with Salamence as well. It's one of my favorite Pokemon, but I don't want it in a tier I don't usually play.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
It has been confirmed that the bunny learns high jump kick in this latest entry.
What entry are you talking about?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found the information.

Well, this makes Mega Lopunny even more dangerous then. I'm eager to see what else it gets (Swords Dance pls).

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
Salamence also gets Hyper Voice LMAO! Best Flying Special move in the game!!
And I think Salamence Mega will be one of the strongest Pokemon in Smogon OU; maybe even banned. I can't think of one Stall Pokemon which deals with Return, Hydro Pump, Fire Blast, Earthquake

My favourite set would be abusing Double-Edge though. God I laugh that thing. I need to breed bacon on Y now

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
As impressive as Mega Salamence may seem though, it may still fall to an Ice-type's Choice Band boosted Ice Shard if its defenses are still only around average levels.

Shog

Smash Ace
Mario and Sonic, what can switch into Mence with Ice Shard though ;) Tell me which Pokemon can do that.

Oh and something else: Xerneas also still fall to an Steel-Type's Choice Band boosted Bullet Punch. Does it suck?

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Indeed. It's the fact you can't just switch in on mega Sal. If you have to sac something to bring out another safely then Mega Sal is a problem.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Mario and Sonic, what can switch into Mence with Ice Shard though ;) Tell me which Pokemon can do that.

Oh and something else: Xerneas also still fall to an Steel-Type's Choice Band boosted Bullet Punch. Does it suck?
Cloyster's defense is quite high, so it's capable of taking an Aerilate boosted Return, even without Defense EV investment. However, it needs Choice Band if it wants to 1-hit KO a Salamence with Ice Shard without using Shell Smash. On the other hand, special sweeping variants of Salamence would mess up Cloyster quite hard.

As for Xerneas, at least it only has a single weakness against Steel-type attacks.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
Cloyster dies to Aerialate Hyper Voice, Draco Meteor or Fire Blast. Try again. (Lol Choice Band Cloyster)

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
ppl ran scarf cloyster in early Gen 4 cuz it was the only thing that could beat chomp, dont hate

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
So in the trailer it has been confirmed that Pikachu can use his new moves outside of battle. I'm still not quite sure how I feel about Pikachu with Meteor Mash from an aesthetic point of view.

Also it makes me wonder at what point they'll push pikachu's power level to the point we'll see the mouse in Smogon's OU.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Also it makes me wonder at what point they'll push pikachu's power level to the point we'll see the mouse in Smogon's OU.
When they make an electric type priority move... 'cos you know he'll get it.

In my pokémon roleplay game we have a move called ArcShock that's basically a special, electric, version of Sucker Punch... Pikachu's SubShock set is pretty beastly, though it's still easy enough to play around to keep it UU or maybe lower (there are 6 of us playing, not exactly a metagame), but without it he's just too frail and slow to be of any use... power means nothing if you can't use it. Really a good priority move is required for him to get anywhere..

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Cloyster dies to Aerialate Hyper Voice, Draco Meteor or Fire Blast. Try again. (Lol Choice Band Cloyster)
I "did" include the special sweeping variants of Salamence when I brought up Cloyster. It's the physical variants of Salamence that can't 1-hit KO Cloyster without either a Choice Band or Dragon Dance boost.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Copy pasted from serebii
"Mega Lopunny gets increased Attack & Speed, Mega Salamence gets increased Defense and Mega Altaria gets increased Attack & Special Attack, with a smaller Defense boost"

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Well so much for Ice Shards taking out Salamence... I'm not sure what I was expecting but 'cos honestly any 100 point stat increase is going to make him uber, but that seems crazy...

Lopuny sounds good though, she's a lot bulkier than I remember her being so I could see her being pretty decent without being broken.

Still setting aside mega evolution for the time being do you think we'll be getting any new moves or Ability changes/additions to pokémon this game? and if so what would you like to see? Move additions is an obvious 'cos there'll be the move tutors, but I'd love to see some more changes too, especially after BW's dreamworld made so many old pokémon seem fresh (I guess mega-evolutions are meant to do this to, but I don't think it works as well).

Personally I'd love to see something fully evolved get Friend Guard (Vespiquen and Combee? Bastiodon and Shieldon? There are so many things that should be able to guard their allies), but I'm not holding my breath for anything that exciting.

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Aesthetically Salamence doesn't look like it should deserve a defense boost, although I'm happy about it.

Looks like his wings would puncture from a gentle breeze if you ask me.

It seems the design choice that GF was trying to imply is that it comes in with Intimidate and gets its defense boost after a Mega evolution.

I'm still hoping it gets an attack raise of at least 150 though so I can still use it as a main offense.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
+1 252 Atk Aerilate Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 184+ Def Gliscor: 255-300 (72 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

i just want to point out how strong an Aerilate Double-Edge is, and this is using regular Mence's stats

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
+1 252 Atk Aerilate Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 184+ Def Gliscor: 255-300 (72 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

i just want to point out how strong an Aerilate Double-Edge is, and this is using regular Mence's stats
I can scare you some more...

+1 252 Atk Aerilate Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 176+ Def Lugia: 247-292 (59.3 - 70.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
in reply Lugia can only pull 35.6-42.5% with Aeroblast... ofcourse without Stealth Rocks things work a bit differently, but yeah...

There's also:

+1 252 Atk Aerilate Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Groudon: 223-264 (55.1 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252 Atk Aerilate Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Arceus: 273-322 (61.4 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252 Atk Aerilate Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Cresselia: 273-322 (61.4 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Seriously, Skarm is the only thing I can think of to wall DD, and he fears mixmence...

Actually... thinking about it Giratina's the only thing you use Dragon Claw for, otherwise Earthquake or Aerialate does the trick so you could probably run a Flamethrower/Fire Blast mix dancer to deal with Skarmory too...

Heck, Primal Groudon even gets dealt with by EQ thanks to his new Fire type so that's no option...

Last edited:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I'd like to mention all Lugia run Ice beam and would just kill it anyways.

Ubers already checks far scarier things than what Mega Salamence could ever possibly accomplish regardless of stat spread. Ekiller and GeoXern are infinitely more threatening with their essentially infinite speed and (special) attack, and the meta already fairly reasonably deals with them.

OU already deals with the fact that only Skam, Rotom, and Thundy can beat Pinsir, and Thundy loses some of the time. With Mega Mence, that list will be about the same (most sets will probly opt to drop Dragon STAB for better coverage with Earthquake due to Heatran being a bigger threat than Rotom), so I think the game will handle it.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569

Ubers already checks far scarier things than what Mega Salamence could ever possibly accomplish regardless of stat spread. Ekiller and GeoXern are infinitely more threatening with their essentially infinite speed and (special) attack, and the meta already fairly reasonably deals with them.

OU already deals with the fact that only Skam, Rotom, and Thundy can beat Pinsir, and Thundy loses some of the time. With Mega Mence, that list will be about the same (most sets will probly opt to drop Dragon STAB for better coverage with Earthquake due to Heatran being a bigger threat than Rotom), so I think the game will handle it.
Can we assume that m-sir will fall in usage with m-mence if it doesn't get into ubers? everything that it does m-mence is going to do better.. type, better defenses, DD, Hyper voice...

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Mence doesn't have priority. +2 Quick Attack is still a huge menace to deal with, it's why the list of counters for MPinsir is so small: only a few fast mons and scarfers can even check it due to QA.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I would suggest not encouraging recoil attacks for a Pokemon who gets eaten alive by Ice moves. >_>

Even if it survives an Ice Shard, if it follows up with Double Edge, it's more than likely dead. Return and Hyper Voice are much better options, IMO.

...Or just don't mega evolve it and abuse Moxiescarf, justsayain :v

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129

I'm not saying he'll break Ubers, afterall it's ubers, just that he clearly fits there pretty well with only two capable walls. If you can run Megas and Primal reversion together I think Mega-Mence and Primal-Ray will be one of (if not the) the top teams in Ubers...

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
That's actually something that's pretty reasonable to assume. Mence + Ray was a really Powerful Gen 4/5 team, but Fairies and other meta shifts have really made them fall out of Favor. If Primal Ray ends up being a thing and then getting some really good tools, that core might come back.

Mega Hawlucha

Smash Apprentice

This was unexpected.
Mega Slowbro gets Shell Armor, which, unless the ability gets an upgrade, makes me write off this Mega immediately. Regenerator is a lot more useful.

Mega Audino becomes a Normal/Fairy that gets the ability Healer. Which, again, kind of sucks. 30% Chance to heal an ally isn't that useful in Doubles. Here's hoping the stat-boosts make Audino more viable though.

That said, my theory is that our remaining Megas are; Primal Rayquaza Alpha, Primal Rayquaza Omega, Mega Glalie/Walrein, Mega Milotic, Mega Sharpedo and Mega Camerupt.
---
Also,
I have another theory that I really hope is true. All the Elite Four have Potential Mega Hoenn Pokemon bar Glacia.
Sidney has Mega Absol
Pheobe has Mega Baette/Sableye
Glacia has nothing (Although she could inherit Mega Abomasnow, considering GameFreak might want to give her more Pokemon than just two Glalie's, two Sealo's and a Walrein)
Drake has Mega Altaria or Mega Salamence
and Steven Stone has Mega Metagross

Assuming Glacia gets a Hoenn Mega, it's not hard to assume that the second (harder) run of the Elite Four might involve all the Elite Four getting Megas.

Last edited:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
You can't write off Slowbro immediately. It's gotten SOME use already as an offensive Trick Room user, if it's SpA gets boosted sky high it can potentially be a fierce sweeper.

Mega Audino really just needed to be an evolution (it really needs Lefties) but being a bulky Normal/Fairy with more BST than Blissey gives it a chance at being good.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I can't imagine mega lowbrow in 3d... How does he stand or sit in battle?

Still, he sounds like he's built for Calm Mind, which isn't the best in this meta... If he was faster any had a reliable special phasing move maybe... as is his ability is a waste atleast...

Mega Hawlucha

Smash Apprentice
I can't imagine mega lowbrow in 3d... How does he stand or sit in battle?

Still, he sounds like he's built for Calm Mind, which isn't the best in this meta... If he was faster any had a reliable special phasing move maybe... as is his ability is a waste atleast...
Did some research, it looks a bit like this.

Still, it might have it's niche, especially over at the lower bands of Smogon. I'm somewhat guessing that Mega Audino might exist for the express purpose of grinding, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a person you could visit once a day that had a Mega Audino with a massive EXP Output.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Oh my dear word, that is frightening! And also stupid...

And mega-Audino actually sounds pretty decent, Healer's a little weak (if it was 50% it might be worth it in doubles, but as is.. nah) but high stats and an interesting typing could make her decently useful... likely won't, but could!

Mega Hawlucha

Smash Apprentice
Well, they are both supposedly getting big boosts to Sp. Def and Def, so they are getting even more bulk. I don't have much faith for Audino though, the defenses are decent already so large boosts can help her even more, but her moveset doesn't support singles anyway.

Her Doubles presence might happen though, moves like Heal Pulse could be incredibly useful on a Pokemon with a bit of bulk. I'm also now a bit depressed at the fact that M. Slowbro with Regenerator would have been incredible.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
mega slowbro could be the best user of calm mind ever

CM/slack off/scald/filler. without crit hits and besides toxic, how would you break him? mega audino won't get enough of a stat boost to be good IMO.

if each other elite 4 are going to get a mega, then expect a mega walrein, the premiere 3rd gen Ice type

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
It sucks that defensive megas rarely get any real attention unless they have Roost.

Lookin' at you Charizard X.

Let's see if Slowbro can top that with its terrible ability. Offensively OR defensively.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
M-Audino would have been better if it got regenerator instead of healer.. does it get a decent recovery for itself?

Top Bottom