• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
you're forgetting that the up-throw frame trap is guaranteed where as the dash attack only works if the Snake techs in place or doesn't tech. Plus he has to be on the side you guess he's gonna be on.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
To beat snake:

Spam UpB and Bair
Juggle with Nair and Uair
Time Smashes to kill on landing
Oh... and be patient
Emphasis on the be patient part.

Don't always try and approach Snake and become hasty. He'll run into your bairs, and his grenades, etc.

Also, agree with GIMR. Uthrow is really good with Snake. Especially since he's much easier to deal with in the air. Uthrow, nair, uairs, = %%%

Also, tourney this weekend! I think I want to try and play competitively again! x'= Probably will use mk a bit, though.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
you're forgetting that the up-throw frame trap is guaranteed where as the dash attack only works if the Snake techs in place or doesn't tech. Plus he has to be on the side you guess he's gonna be on.
G&W's D-throw is actually very hit confirmable when his opponent does not tech. If you're going to punish with something fast like DA or Jab, you don't actually need to guess which side Snake or any character lands on if he doesn't techroll. It's entirely feasible to react to this and punish him consistently.

Yes you do have to read the techroll to punish it, but the point is the reward you get from D-throwing Snake is largely underestimated. Putting Snake above your for mostly free N-airs and U-airs is great, but that alone generally isn't going to get you kills easily (unless you actually save U-air for kills, though landing the 2nd hit is tricky).

A G&W that understands the implementation of all his followups I believe can make his D-throw trap close to a 50/50 mixup in his favor. G&W's ability to juggle is strong mainly for resets and chipping on damage with N-air. D-throw has utility even or especially against Snake since it opens up completely different options.

Also, more important and powerful than getting Snake above you is getting him offstage.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Snake above you gives opportunities to land fair, smashes, dtilt on landing etc. It can do what dthrow does + more. Dthrow just has more promising results if it works. Teching is extremely easy though :/.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You have to read B reversals especially at high percents. Landing sweetspot F-air on Snake is kinda difficult if he's descending above stage (fairly easy to do though if he's recovering offstage and in range). Landing Smashes requires you to read aerials/airdodges depending on spacing. D-tilt on landing is good but still somewhat tricky given you need to read B reversals.

Yeah teching is easy. Doesn't change that being good at techchasing is VERY profitable in different ways than juggling.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Also, tourney this weekend! I think I want to try and play competitively again! x'= Probably will use mk a bit, though.
Good luck!

I played some dittos and was clueless what the metagame was. Fortunately the opponent was a newbie too. He/she Dthrow-ed>jab>grab>repeat several times. Finally I jabbed between the jab and grab to break it. I'll have a few replays soon. Also a Diddy owned and 2 stocked me; man that's hard:urg:.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Good luck!

I played some dittos and was clueless what the metagame was. Fortunately the opponent was a newbie too. He/she Dthrow-ed>jab>grab>repeat several times. Finally I jabbed between the jab and grab to break it. I'll have a few replays soon. Also a Diddy owned and 2 stocked me; man that's hard:urg:.
Playing against Diddys that know that the **** they are doing is indeed really hard. I guess it's important to mess with his banana setups as much as possible. Try to always catch any banana he want to put on the field.

Good luck day for tourney.

Exdeath

Smash Master
You have to read B reversals especially at high percents. Landing sweetspot F-air on Snake is kinda difficult if he's descending above stage (fairly easy to do though if he's recovering offstage and in range). Landing Smashes requires you to read aerials/airdodges depending on spacing. D-tilt on landing is good but still somewhat tricky given you need to read B reversals.

Yeah teching is easy. Doesn't change that being good at techchasing is VERY profitable in different ways than juggling.
Just punish Snake's landing.

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
Vinnie is gonna concentrate on ICS from now on. What G&W do we look up to now? I am really bummed about this. : ( Although, this does give me a bigger drive to get better. There are days where I just wanna give up on GW and main someone else, but instead I look at the accomplishments Vinnie and Zac made. It would be nice to place as high as them one day. Hopefully that day will come. I'm not giving up.

Splice

Smash Hero
As high as UTD in a national, or would you just like to win a regional? Both are hard, since you live in Texas which has a pretty high skill level iirc

You shouldnt really need someone to look up to :)
Your own personal development and communication through these boards (even if they are dead) should be all you need, although I admit well edited combo videos using my main with great music (such as Nined Blind) are very inspiring and provoked development in my game I admit.

I should make a combo video...

Anyhow goodluck Panty.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
Even if you're not that good (like me), making a video for fun can help you improve your game. As you sift through replays, you learn a lot about your playstyle and your character, and what does and does not work.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
I think this is the 3rd time Vinnie's said that lol

Also i feel the same way panty:<
The last two sent.

Rizen

Smash Legend
All the character boards I regularly visit are proud to play that character. Play who you want, even with bad MUs and so on.

--------------------
What are good ways to start attack chains? My chain setups are too predictable. Specifically air juggling ones.
Also, how do G&Ws use bair (like reverse aerial rush)? I Fair more then I should because G&W's facing the opponent. Is there a trick to using several Bairs consistently?

My G&W is improving and surpasses my other secondaries now :)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I took 3rd in a tourney and beat ViceGrip. There was also a fairly legit IC main called Kirds and I somehow beat him in losers bracket as well despite the fact he was my first match and loss in winners.

I repped Mario, G&W, and Falco at this tournament. http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=11320

All the character boards I regularly visit are proud to play that character. Play who you want, even with bad MUs and so on.

--------------------
What are good ways to start attack chains? My chain setups are too predictable. Specifically air juggling ones.
Also, how do G&Ws use bair (like reverse aerial rush)? I Fair more then I should because G&W's facing the opponent. Is there a trick to using several Bairs consistently?

My G&W is improving and surpasses my other secondaries now :)
For G&W, starting chains is more about having good spacing, and maintaining good spacing. He doesn't need to take too many risks to "chain" moves just because a lot of his moves are so good. Don't try to be too fancy with juggles. Just maintain smart positioning since G&W's juggles almost always perfectly reset people into more juggles. Also it's worth keeping in mind that Jab and D-tilt actually are amazing moves for setting up strings. Jab leads to grab, and D-tilt leads to easy edgeguards.

My use of F-air and B-air differs between matchups, but depending on the matchup either is my primary spacing tool. In my opinion, I'm pretty smart about making it difficult for people to punish my B-airs with SDI. I'll mix up my timing and fastfalling with B-airs, and I'll even fullhop rising B-air if my opponent is tall or in the air, which is pretty resistant to people trying to SDI upwards. In most matchups besides really small characters and Sheik though I believe F-air is a more valuable spacing tool given that most characters can be caught by fullhop F-airs while standing.

But G&W's moves aren't limited to just that. ALL of G&W's moves are in some way valuable for edgeguarding. Especially against Olimar, you should consider edgeguarding with B-air. Depending on how it's timed, B-air has a tendency to outlast Olimar's whistle armor. Then there is the fact that G&W users seem to forget that ledgedrop B-air covers a lot of options.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
It isn't possible to hit confirm tech in place with dash attack.

That is all

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Wut?

10confused
AZOMG is claiming that is better to dthrow Snake instead of up -throwign him because it's possible to react to him teching in place or not teching and dash attacking him for doing so. I'm trying to tell him that it isn't possible or it's ridiculously difficult to react to a tech in place with a dash attack.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Well if you just dash attack immediately after you'll hit him if he techs in place or doesn't tech at all. I think that's what he means.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I did actually suggest that you can react to which side any character lands on when you D-throw them and consistently Dash Attack them if they don't tech.

If they tech in place, I dunno, I can't help but feel it's still possible to feasibly hit confirm that (invincible 1-20, end 27). Characters make a noise when teching in place furthermore. The only thing I find annoying about Snake teching in place is you don't recover fast enough to D-smash him before he U-tilts you. What's more dangerous imo is if he has room to techroll backwards and not get hit by Dash Attack, which can leave you very open for committing (though committing to punish his back roll is always safe).

And people just plain underestimate that D-throw and the associated followups are GOOD against Snake. I'm not suggesting it's outright better than simply U-throwing him, but the fact is you can't ignore that it is potentially more profitable. Putting Snake above you with U-throw is certainly good for damage. When he gets hit by Dash Attack or D-tilt, the positioning from those moves however tends to be superior for followups though. Then there is the fact that techchasing into F-air is very helpful when you need a KO. Those are the situational reasons to D-throw Snake.

Furthermore, it's almost always nice to put in a wider variety of moves into your stale moves que. Implementing more moves helps to increase your average damage output.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
I did actually suggest that you can react to which side any character lands on when you D-throw them and consistently Dash Attack them if they don't tech.

If they tech in place, I dunno, I can't help but feel it's still possible to feasibly hit confirm that (invincible 1-20, end 27). Characters make a noise when teching in place furthermore. The only thing I find annoying about Snake teching in place is you don't recover fast enough to D-smash him before he U-tilts you. What's more dangerous imo is if he has room to techroll backwards and not get hit by Dash Attack, which can leave you very open for committing (though committing to punish his back roll is always safe).

And people just plain underestimate that D-throw and the associated followups are GOOD against Snake. I'm not suggesting it's outright better than simply U-throwing him, but the fact is you can't ignore that it is potentially more profitable. Putting Snake above you with U-throw is certainly good for damage. When he gets hit by Dash Attack or D-tilt, the positioning from those moves however tends to be superior for followups though. Then there is the fact that techchasing into F-air is very helpful when you need a KO. Those are the situational reasons to D-throw Snake.

Furthermore, it's almost always nice to put in a wider variety of moves into your stale moves que. Implementing more moves helps to increase your average damage output.
this is something I can basically agree with.

BTW, the other day I d-threw a snake and he didn't tech, I predicted the roll with a dashed charged usmash and he rolled passed it. >< why is his roll so long.(I know I probably could of hit him while he passed me)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah btw did nobody here notice that I beat ViceGrip in tournament? =P

Both games were on BF. First game I Bucket gimped his PK Thunder. I also discovered that platform camping with D-tilts was surprisingly effective against Ness...just given that it beats his F-air/B-air consistently, and usually if you're spacing those in anticipation of his F-airs or B-airs, he doesn't have enough time to get under or above you to really punish you for throwing out a D-tilt.

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
2 $ tourney w/ 9 people David, no need to brag. You were playing real well that day however and I couldn't adjust due to my own frustration w/ this game now a days. Your reaction was actually real good, dtilting when I would jump up and try and fair you on a platform and you would up B when I would try to dair a lot. I should have been able to adjust and stop hitting my head against the wall but it wasn't happening. Btw have you converted everyone to lagless fair off of ledge? All gaw's should do that by now.

Exdeath

Smash Master
2 $ tourney w/ 9 people David, no need to brag. You were playing real well that day however and I couldn't adjust due to my own frustration w/ this game now a days. Your reaction was actually real good, dtilting when I would jump up and try and fair you on a platform and you would up B when I would try to dair a lot. I should have been able to adjust and stop hitting my head against the wall but it wasn't happening. Btw have you converted everyone to lagless fair off of ledge? All gaw's should do that by now.
A2Z on Vice Grip's account.

:troll:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Unfortunately I was not able to...

HOWEVER at WGF, I did teach Oki and Zekey the ledgehop lagless F-air as you may (or may not?) recall. =)

And ViceGrip, it was 11 people to be exact as I recall, but anyhow I understand how you feel. Just it's hard for me to get over beating both you and Kirds in losers, even if I know that you and Kirds weren't playing optimally those sets. Me getting to tournaments, much less performing decently, is a huge deal for me no matter how small the attendance, given my overall low attendance rates.

You're still amazing ViceGrip, and I'll have to play your Melee Ness!

kaak

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately I was not able to...

HOWEVER at WGF, I did teach Oki and Zekey the ledgehop lagless F-air as you may (or may not?) recall. =)

And ViceGrip, it was 11 people to be exact as I recall, but anyhow I understand how you feel. Just it's hard for me to get over beating both you and Kirds in losers, even if I know that you and Kirds weren't playing optimally those sets. Me getting to tournaments, much less performing decently, is a huge deal for me no matter how small the attendance, given my overall low attendance rates.

You're still amazing ViceGrip, and I'll have to play your Melee Ness!
can you tell us one time more how you do that lagless fair?

with details/vid plox

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The most important part about doing it is knowing how to buffer a frame perfect midair jump + F-air. When G&W does his midair jump, you hear a beep. When he does his F-air, you hear a different beep. If you're inputting it correctly, you will ONLY hear the F-air beep.

I lightly press backwards to ledgedrop and then I quickly input jump + F-air to ledgehop F-air. Timing the jump after ledgedrop isn't hard. The hard part is making sure that you're doing a frame perfect jump+F-air. Keep in mind that pulling this off correctly always results in G&W acquiring a second jump renewal.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
wow, I'm using that,

also just to let you guys know, if you press down forward at the right spot you won't fast fall but you'll still let go of the ledge. This will allow for better horizontal momentum

Alphicans

Smash Hero
On a ledge related note....

You know how on YI's right ledge at <100%, if you press jump you just instantly get onto the stage? Well you can do that on pictochat as well. Not sure if it applies to both sides, but I was messing around with it on picto.

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
I recall being able to jump straight to the ledge on the right side. But that was just during a match. I haven't erally gone and messed aroudn with it myself.

I personally do not like YI. I dislike the platform in the center. It's just an annoying obstacle that allows characters to play a little campy, and it makes approching more difficult.

Top Bottom